closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Precista and very big watches indeed

Precista and very big watches indeed

I went over to Anchor Surplus in Nottingham today to buy some radio bits. While I was there I went and had a look at their watches and fell for a CWC G10 quartz with a nice clean face for £50. They also had Precista G10s at £65-90 but they weren't quite as clean. In the showcase they also had a timepiece that must have been 2.5" across. It had a canteen crown, white face and was on a light grey nylon(?) strap. It was a clock on a strap, basically. Anyone any idea what it is?

Re: Precista and very big watches indeed

Quote Originally Posted by endure
    I went over to Anchor Surplus in Nottingham today to buy some radio bits. While I was there I went and had a look at their watches and fell for a CWC G10 quartz with a nice clean face for £50. They also had Precista G10s at £65-90 but they weren't quite as clean. In the showcase they also had a timepiece that must have been 2.5" across. It had a canteen crown, white face and was on a light grey nylon(?) strap. It was a clock on a strap, basically. Anyone any idea what it is?
    It could have been a Slava. What was the price of it? Was it well made?

As for G10s whenever anyone wishes to buy one and happens to have the option of choosing from several ... assuming all other parameters are equal ... make sure you get one where the seconds-hand falls squarely on the seconds markers. You will find it much more satisfying in the long term.

I will say the same to anyone who wishes to get an analogue quartz. There is nothing worse than having an expensive watch ticking (or wateva quartzes do) in-between the markers. Haha. No names to be mentioned.

And in the same vein ? some quartz seconds hands have a nice crisp jump and some others don?t ? the worse offenders drifting or even backpedalling... For a nice crisp action see a Rolex quartz. I am sure there are others but the Rolex is the one that comes to mind.

The G10?s seconds action is quite good. It?s a wonderful watch in everyway you look at it. 8)

JD
    THIN is the new BLACK

The 'big watch' didn't have a price and looked to very well made but didn't have a price on it. I think it was just part of their little museum of bits and bobs. The CWC is very satisfying, neat, simple, easy to read. I'm really glad I went there.

I went in the friday before last to trade some stuff and buy one of their £250 generators. The watch you saw is russian military. They want about 700 quid for it which i think is way to much considering you couldnt wear it and its too ugly to have on display anywhere. I do like their Marine Chronometres though, they look good on the mantle piece.

Roy Taylor has some of these Russian militaries with the canteen crown for much less.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

I think it may be slightly bigger than those on Roy's site and it doesn't have the metal bars across the front of the face but it's the same kind of thing. Thanks to all for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    Roy Taylor has some of these Russian militaries with the canteen crown for much less.

Eddie
    Bit of irony there as we were laughing about a guy on Ebay trying to sell Nato morse keys for £155 when the woman at Anchor told me they sell them for £35 a pop when they have them in stock.

Hello

Firstly apologies to Eddie for going OT here - But did you get a chance to look at Anchors radio and test gear while you were there ? If so was it reasonably priced ?

I last went a couple of years back when the price of the test gear seemed to take a sudden hike. Before that I had bought all kinds of Marconi sig gens and power meters from them at very reasonable prices. Also ex-military radio gear bought from Anchor used to make up the majority of my amateur radio sets.

Regards

Ian

Radio gear

Theyd didn't have very much in at all really, a couple of scopes. Don't remember what price they were as I wasn't interested. I was only there for bits and bobs, cable, plugs etc. Sorry I can't be more helpful.