closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: GRAND SEIKO SBGA029 or Seiko MM300 SBDX001 ?

Craftsman

Question GRAND SEIKO SBGA029 or Seiko MM300 SBDX001 ?

Has anyone owned both of these Seiko's and if so which of the two would you say is the best bang for buck?

I'm aware of the big price difference between the GS & Prospex line, so looking for some advice from a member that has / is fortunate enaough to have both...

Hector
    Last edited by Beta2; 23rd October 2012 at 10:42.

I've owned the SBDX001 and tried on the SBGA029 - the Grand Seiko is, of course, nicer, but the law of diminishing returns applies.

The spring drive/mechanical escapement might be enough to persuade anyone. The clasp on the GS isn't much better than the SBDX, the bracelet on the SBDX was already really nice, so the GS doesn't improve on it much.

I did consider the SBGA that was in the sales corner, but I couldn't justify the price premium just for the spring drive.

(Seiko diver-wise I'm currently very happy with my sapphire crystalled/marine master inserted Sumo)

Craftsman
    So its +1 for the MM300

Your "Seiko diver-wise I'm currently very happy with my sapphire crystalled/marine master inserted Sumo" sounds very interesting indeed. Do you have any photos that you can put up?

GS is something special. Spring drive, finishing etc. MM300 is a bit average in my humble opinion, I flipped mine within a week of it arriving...

SBGA029 all day long. The only shame is that it's 'only' water resistant to 200m but in the metal it murders a Rolex Sub. Styling is subjective of course.

Also, this is all IMHO

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by WingTsun View Post
    I think I'm the only member here who's owned both of these.

You can see my thoughts on the SBGA029 here:

http://thirtyfivemill.com/2012/04/05...ve-200m-diver/

I've also owned 5 different MM300s, my latest being this one which I own now:

http://thirtyfivemill.com/?s=mm300

It's a bit tough to answer "best bang for the buck" on this one as they're not really that kind of a watch and the one costs 2 1/2 times what the other costs. Quality-wise, the MM300 is right up there but the finish on a GS costing 250% more is always going to be significantly better and more refined. The GS is a bigger watch, totally different bezel, hands, dial, movement, power reserve and a 22mm bracelet. TBH, it's really about which style of what you prefer. They are totally different beasts.

Apart from which one you prefer aesthetically and whether you prefer the Spring Drive or Auto movement, it comes down to whether you're after more of a tool diver or a dress diver. If the latter go for the SBGA029. Otherwise the MM300 is an outstanding watch.
    Very interesting & thank you for your expert opinion!
    It will be a dress diver (far too old for anything else).

I'm in a dilemma as I would love a spring drive - but feel that I will be paying way over the top unless I can find a used one in pristine condition at a very fair price.
    I know it is a BIG ask...

Live in hope :-)

Craftsman
    [QUOTE=ryanb741; in the metal it murders a Rolex Sub. Styling is subjective of course.

Also, this is all IMHO[/QUOTE]

Ive heard this before.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by WingTsun View Post
    Well, I wouldn't hold your breath.. Only one has ever sold on here and that was mine a couple of weeks ago. You might eventually find an SBGA031 titanium version, though, as more of those were sold.
    sorry I missed your one as it was just perfect!!

Who knows, it may appear on SC in the future :-)

Master
    I'm a huge high end Seiko fan. I've owned the SBDX001 and its the one watch I regret selling. I've handled a few grand Seiko. They are awesome, but as its been said, its the law of diminishing returns. If you can afford it, go for the best :)

Mine was the 031, but i had the pleasure of all three of these at the same time. If you search my posts you'll find my thoughts. Suffice to say they're all superb...but i'd go for the MM600 for a lot of reasons, bang for buck included. Apologies that's not the answer to the question you asked!

Lucky enough to own both as well and I would agree with WingTsun totally in that the MM300 feels more technical (use mine for diving regularly) and for me more of a "vintage" diver feel IMO with the sweet 8L35 movement. The 029 is a very smooth and a beautifully put together piece - the perfect watch for Mr Bond !

Craftsman

Thanks guys for the great info & photos!

Looks like I will be going for GS Spring Drive :-)

Now throwing in the MM600 makes it a completely different question!!

With the 600 you get the spring drive and the nice added bonus of GMT. I'd definitely go for this over the 300 and bang for buck it pushes the GS hard. Quite a chunk though...

Quote Originally Posted by Jay;[URL="tel:2480242"
    2480242[/URL]]Mine was the 031, but i had the pleasure of all three of these at the same time. If you search my posts you'll find my thoughts. Suffice to say they're all superb...but i'd go for the MM600 for a lot of reasons, bang for buck included. Apologies that's not the answer to the question you asked!

My personal pick would be the Grand Seiko Diver (SBGA029 or 031)

I have not owned neither (Well I own the GS SBGE001 GMT which is in principle also a diver) but I have also had the opportunity to handle the MM600 and the GS SD Diver's. To me there is no comparison. The GS diver is the better and more refined watch.

Don't get me wrong, the MM600 is a respectable beast but it also is a purpose built professional diver's tool watch. Unless you are planning on diving down the Mariana Trench on your next vacation/holiday, I think the GS is better suited for daily wear. It is a dress diver after all and fits nicely under a long sleeve shirt cuff. Good luck doing that with the massive 17mm+ thick case of the MM600.

I find the GS Diver to be finished to a very high standard. You also have the option of the steel (029) or bright titanium model (031). The Prospex MM600 only comes in Titanium. Very nicely finished watch but not in the same league of the GS.

Finally, if you purchase your GS diver from Grand Seiko AD in Europe or USA it will come with a full Seiko 3 year guarantee. Meanwhile, the Prospex MM600, being JDM only, comes with a 1 year Seiko international warranty.

Where I feel the MM600 is better is because it has full GMT functionality whereas the GS Diver is a standard 3-hander (Hence why I ended up getting the SBGE001 GMT as it offers the exquisite GS finishing, sapphire lumed bezel and full GMT functionality).

All terrific watches, but the GS diver is my pick of the lot.

Good luck.

ah...600...the GS is not mine...some pix to cool you down.