closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tool Chest & Roller Cab Recommendation

Tool Chest & Roller Cab Recommendation

I am having a clear out of my garage and want to sort through all the tools I have accumulated over the years. I have decided that the best thing is a garage style roller cab unit and top boxes. this way everything will have it place and I will more organised than ever before :-)

I had originally set a small budget, but it soon became clear that the quality was, well, a bit naff at the low end of the market. I have decided that a little more investment will be a wise move, so I am now looking at upto approx £400-£450 max. I will keep it for years so best to avoid the buy cheap, buy twice scenario

I am hoping someone can offer any recommendations through personal experience. My budget doesn't allow for offering from the main players like Snap-On, Mac, Facom etc so I am looking for a less costly alternative that still gives the quality.

I have looked at plenty online and this includes this one...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2610996656...84.m1423.l2649

Any others I should consider that are of similar size to the one linked above? What are your own experiences.

Cheers all.

Craftsman
    Whatever you choice, feel it in the flesh - in a nutshell the best roller bearings you can buy. Machine mart is worth a visit, costco do a lovely roll cab in stainless now and then too. But don't buy blind. Try halfords, honestly. Sweet talk them into a "trade card" if you buy the industrial cabinets with the proper bearings, and watch the price slash... worth an ask.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_173018

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...7CPrice%7C%7C1

I've got several CSPS tool chests (from Costco) and rate them very highly: stainless steel, robust construction, lockable wheels, ball-bearing slides and come complete with non-slip material for every tray. The equal of Snap-On IMO, but much less expensive.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Blog Entries
    Top thread SK and a watch with bated breath. I have been considering for sometime.

Ta
    Pitch

Master
    As Ralphy said the Costco one is hard to beat excellent value for money Teng also do I nice one but if I was buying again it would be Costco

Tool Chest & Roller Cab Recommendation

You could try to pick up a second hand tool box from your local snap-on or mac tools man. Often people trade in their old box when getting a newer larger box so you can pick up a second hand box for a fraction of the cost of a new one.

Ps, Mac rollcabs are cheaper that snap-on especially second hand.

Save money by downsizing. Give me all your BSF/Whitworth tools.

I juggle spanners for a living. Tried plenty of highly regarded makes, but they don't seem to manage all the things that the snap on cabinets manage.
    Some makes are better in small areas than snap on, but far inferior on everthing else.

I've never spent the money you have for your budget, i've always bought used from the snap-on man or ebay or a "wanted" advert on the bike forum i'm a member of. .

Another advantage of snap-on cabinets is the resale value if you want to upgrade at a later date. You'll get your money back on any of their cabinets, maybe even a bit more.

Master
    I posted this thread a couple of years ago, may add a few more ideas:

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...highlight=tool

Her indoors never did get me one as our plans changed but I was reminded of it recently as I need somewhere for my tools now I'm doing the RD350 rebuild.

I'm probably going to go Halfords as they always seem to have a good value two for one offer online and I think quality-wise they will be more than adequate for my needs.

I love Britool stuff, Can be a lot deeper than say Snapon and just as good imo, Have a look on the bay, There used to be an American selection in same bright red as Snapon and decent product for less but cant remember makers name American Pro tool chest ????

My Dad was in the motor trade for 30+ years and he swore by Snap On, yeah they are expensive but the quality is there.

Does anyone know where I can get Snap On tools repaired? I've been out of the motor trade for years and I don't know of any local reps. Is there a service centre at all?

I was going to say see a few of the snap-on or mac vans i your area and buy second hand, but clarky beat me to it.
    You can pick up some great roll cabs and top boxes at bargain basement prices if you're lucky.
    My snap-on barn box must be the best part of 30 years old and still going strong- great box. Friends of mine have bought second han, and they looked as new to me.

Ralphy how much was that Costco one, I'm very tempted

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    Does anyone know where I can get Snap On tools repaired? I've been out of the motor trade for years and I don't know of any local reps. Is there a service centre at all?
    We have a van that comes round every thursday. What is it you need repairing? I could get you the parts, or if you can send it down to me I'll hand it over to him.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Ralphy how much was that Costco one, I'm very tempted
    IIRC it was £499 (plus VAT) - but it might have been a bit less - I'm not 100% sure!

At one time Costco imposed a 'only two per customer' rule after seeing them appear on eBay for significantly higher prices: in fact one guy was taking pics of them in store (you could even ID the Costco racking in the pics) and then advertising them for a Buy It Now of £899...

As I said, I've had various ones from Costco over the years and even returned one for a refund. It was one of the early ones and they didn't have self-locking drawers (they certainly do now) and this was the reason for the return:

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

In reply to the op, my first choice would be a used snap on box, either from the van, or classifieds. There seems to be a premium on eBay unless you find a decent buy it now price. Naturally if you need to shift it, they would sell well.
    Unless you are going to be opening the drawers 100 times a day, most decent bearing drawed cabs would cope well enough, and you can often find on classifieds Halfords professional or industrial which are probably good enough

Thanks for all the replies so far. I am heading off to Costco today to see if they have any stock.

I have ruled out the halfords ones only because their current offer is about 50 quid more than last week!

I will let you know when I have made a purchase!

This is the same as one of mine

Quote Originally Posted by seikoking View Post
    Thanks for all the replies so far. I am heading off to Costco today to see if they have any stock.

I have ruled out the halfords ones only because their current offer is about 50 quid more than last week!

I will let you know when I have made a purchase!
    The Halfords ones do vary in price, but are seemingly always on offer.
    It's very easy to blag a trade card.
    The Costco ones are very nice but not always in stock