closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: OK own up

OK own up

Who didn't wash their hands?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19834975

I'm never putting my hands in a womans handbag again!

I never want to meet any of you!

Maybe this is evidence that women are doing more in their handbags than we gave them credit for? Did anyone analyse right down at the bottom of the bag?

And I wonder how much faecal matter gets stuck in watch bracelets? People who do not wash their hands regularly and then remove watches from their wrists and then put them on again are probably walking cess pits

I have ceased to be amazed at the number of people who walk straight out of public toilets without washing their hands - and I know one retired high ranking public health official whose personal hygiene especially as regards hand washing is abysmal.

Many people are totally ignorant of the health risks caused by not washing their hands.

When I was 7 years old there was a typhoid epidemic in South West London where I lived and our schoolteachers made us all wash our hands with carbolic soap several times daily and after using the school toilets - and probably as a result, there were no cases of typhoid in the school.

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Banned
    And some people ask why wear a watch in the shower! They need cleaning too!

I went to the Tattoo convention @ Doncaster this weekend & one of the tattooists went to the bog,had a piss & then walked out without washing his hands

DEFFO NOT ON !

Master
    When I worked in a supermarket it was unbelievable how many people would leave the toilet having not washed their hands, often after having been in a cubicle obviously defecating, then immediately return to the shopfloor to restock shelves (with food).

I'm not at all suprised about the handbags though.

Blog Entries
    At least now we can be accurate when we ask SWMBO - "Do you really need to carry all the sh!t around with you?"

z

OK, so I'll admit it.

My lad went for a dump at longleat yesterday and the paper was not up to snuff. My finger shot right through it while wiping his backside.

I nearly puked.

However I did wash my hands after wiping the worst off on the door pull handle.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

What a load of shit!

Urrgh!

That may well be the the end of me buying pre-owned straps from SC.

(unless anyone has got a nice dark brown 24mm Toshi? At least it wont show).

Grand Master Scottishtrunkmonkey's Avatar
    So, technically speaking, if you were to take a dump in her handbag you could argue that it is not really any dirtier?
    Respect the past, live the present, protect the future

Banned
    oh yea all these people who do there stuff then don't wash there hands, what's the first thing they touch on leaving ..................................

the door handle out of the loo's

call me Howard Hughes but i always take some extra toilet roll to grip the handle, then bin it.

Grand Master Scottishtrunkmonkey's Avatar
    Wouldn't that simply smear it around the handle? And if it has come from the cubicle I dare say it has a similar level of bacteria on it anyway
    Respect the past, live the present, protect the future

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    And I wonder how much faecal matter gets stuck in watch bracelets? People who do not wash their hands regularly and then remove watches from their wrists and then put them on again are probably walking cess pits

I have ceased to be amazed at the number of people who walk straight out of public toilets without washing their hands - and I know one retired high ranking public health official whose personal hygiene especially as regards hand washing is abysmal.

Many people are totally ignorant of the health risks caused by not washing their hands.

When I was 7 years old there was a typhoid epidemic in South West London where I lived and our schoolteachers made us all wash our hands with carbolic soap several times daily and after using the school toilets - and probably as a result, there were no cases of typhoid in the school.

dunk
    A doctor once told me that for men, it is more important to wash your hands BEFORE visiting the urinals.....

It was a common practical experiment some of the science-y students got sent on when I was at university: they went out into London with 50 swabs each and took samples of everything.
    The worst culprits were shop entrance doors, cash machines and Banknotes (some people really do wipe their a**es with them). The entire London Underground is a plague pit of course.

Given that urine is pretty much sterile, you probably pick up as many bugs from the taps as you wash off...

Number twos are a different story of course.

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    Given that urine is pretty much sterile, you probably pick up as many bugs from the taps as you wash off...

Number twos are a different story of course.
    Don't you believe it ... E-coli urinary tract infections are relatively common. Thankfully, many public cloakrooms are being fitted with sense operated taps to prevent bacteria being transmitted to and from tap handles. But they do not prevent the problem of door handles being bug repositories.

What amazes me is that when I visit my dentist, the actual surgery room is spotless inside but it still has old fashioned door handles which everyone's dirty hands touch/grab/pull. The old fashioned unisex toilet is often a disgrace ie dirty and soiled w.c., old fashioned taps, and round brass door knobs which require a firm grip to open. Such facilities are only as good as the weakest link and old fashioned door furniture makes a nonsense of providing anti-bacterial hand washes.

OK, so our immune systems can cope with most bacteria most of the time - but in an operating theatre environment (a dental surgery) I expect better standards of hygiene. Many hospitals are no better ie they also have the old fashioned door handles on toilet rooms adjacent to out patient clinics - clinics where there are no hand gels provided as in actual hospital wards.

Many hospital outpatient departments have very poor hygiene management and are probably a contributory factor to so many adjacent in-patient wards being closed because of bugs causing infections.

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 15th October 2012 at 18:28.

Don't you believe it ... E-coli urinary tract infections are relatively common.

dunk
    They are common, but mostly in women thankfully due to the anatomical differences between the sexes.

Keyboards are pretty filthy things too.

I visited an office of ours earlier this year and ended up 'borrowing' a desk where each of the keys on the keyboard had a halo of filth around them - but since the keys were black, they didn't show from a distance.

The desk's rancid owner returned midday and I happily gave him back his domain. He then proceeded to unwrap his M&S sarnies and eat them whilst doing his lunchtime emails. Maybe he's built up some resistance to filth-borne diseases...

I have ceased to be amazed at the number of people who walk straight out of public toilets without washing their hands...
    Completely agree. Especially when travelling I take a bottle of hand sanitiser gel and it gets used frequently: the amount of objects you touch in the public domain is more than sufficient to pick up all sorts of nasty bugs. Buffet servers, anyone?!

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Blog Entries

OK own up

I remember posting on this subject on the current topical moan thread. Some people ('filthy retards' was my chosen phrase i think) are just so oblivious it beggars belief. Shame that their unsavoury habits put the rest of us at risk.

z

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Completely agree. Especially when travelling I take a bottle of hand sanitiser gel and it gets used frequently: the amount of objects you touch in the public domain is more than sufficient to pick up all sorts of nasty bugs. Buffet servers, anyone?!

R
    People are who do not wash their hands after using toilets are lazy, ignorant, and selfish ... and they are also potential disease carriers and transmitters.

I blame our schools and teachers and the poor standards of hygiene education ... more than blaming parents who themselves knew/know no better.

And the current girly 'nail art' culture ( ''... can't / won't wash me 'ands , it'll spoil me nails!" ) does not help.

dunk

Don't even start me on this.. Feet on bus/train seats, coming to work ill, snizzing/caughing and not covering mouth/nose, not washing hands after visiting lavatory appears to be a norm. I'd understand if it was endemic to less educated, privileged people but i know some high flyers, CEOs, board level execs of multinationals who cant be a*sed to wash their hands after visiting lavatory and proceed to shake hands during meetings/get togethers - utterly shocking!

Ive been saying all along if we to be hit by a highly virulent close contact transmitted contagion we will sustain extreamly high casualty rates and will see piles of bodies on the street due to peoples complacency and inability to maintain BASIC personal hygiene..
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

There was some silly mare on the beeb morning show who said that sanitiser sprays/gels reduce the natural bacteria on hands and its used too much. What a complete crock of sheet that is. I always have a hand spray in the car, and use it regularly, Especially if I cant wash my hands properly. Make sure you cover all your fingers and the thumbs. Its easy enough to get an infection with kids about, (a stomach bug is going round my sons school now!) their handwashing is something that needs practice!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Guy in work with me never washes his hands even coming out of the cubicle. Is a standing joke/frown with the men in the office.

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    Don't even start me on this.. Feet on bus/train seats, coming to work ill, snizzing/caughing and not covering mouth/nose, not washing hands after visiting lavatory appears to be a norm. I'd understand if it was endemic to less educated, privileged people but i know some high flyers, CEOs, board level execs of multinationals who cant be a*sed to wash their hands after visiting lavatory and proceed to shake hands during meetings/get togethers - utterly shocking!

Ive been saying all along if we to be hit by a highly virulent close contact transmitted contagion we will sustain extreamly high casualty rates and will see piles of bodies on the street due to peoples complacency and inability to maintain BASIC personal hygiene..
    Yep .... we need some bubonic plague to teach us all a lesson.

Truly!

dunk

In the office I worked in some of the smartest women were those that did not wash their hands after using the toilets. Their female colleagues gossiped about them and referred to them as, " ... another Miss piss fingers".

dunk

Quote Originally Posted by sestrel View Post
    There was some silly mare on the beeb morning show who said that sanitiser sprays/gels reduce the natural bacteria on hands and its used too much. What a complete crock of sheet that is. I always have a hand spray in the car, and use it regularly, Especially if I cant wash my hands properly. Make sure you cover all your fingers and the thumbs. Its easy enough to get an infection with kids about, (a stomach bug is going round my sons school now!) their handwashing is something that needs practice!
    That could well be true if they are used in excess. Natural skin flora occupy space that would otherwise be taken up by pathogens, hence wiping them all out would allow a clean slate for some of the nastier stuff to take hold and multiply. Anyone who's ever had c.diff in hospital due to having their natural gut flora nuked by some broad spectrum antibiotics would know what I'm on about.

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    That could well be true if they are used in excess. Natural skin flora occupy space that would otherwise be taken up by pathogens, hence wiping them all out would allow a clean slate for some of the nastier stuff to take hold and multiply. Anyone who's ever had c.diff in hospital due to having their natural gut flora nuked by some broad spectrum antibiotics would know what I'm on about.
    Its our infection control policy that alcohol gel is used in conjunction with hand washing. Its not using it effectively thats an issue. (I work in theatres)

Quote Originally Posted by Bristolian View Post
    Keyboards are pretty filthy things too.

I visited an office of ours earlier this year and ended up 'borrowing' a desk where each of the keys on the keyboard had a halo of filth around them - but since the keys were black, they didn't show from a distance.

The desk's rancid owner returned midday and I happily gave him back his domain. He then proceeded to unwrap his M&S sarnies and eat them whilst doing his lunchtime emails. Maybe he's built up some resistance to filth-borne diseases...
    YEP!! Office keyboards are wonderful eco systems for all sorts of filth - especially after the regular users have been eating (dropping crumbs into the keyboard), drinking (spilling sugary drinks onto the keyboard), filing their nails (depositing nail filings onto the keyboard), and for the remainder of their working day keying with their sticky fingers.

I had row with my previous manager when she expected me to clock out whilst I cleaned the filthy keyboard I was expected to use.

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 15th October 2012 at 21:58.

Quote Originally Posted by Fords View Post
    oh yea all these people who do there stuff then don't wash there hands, what's the first thing they touch on leaving ..................................

the door handle out of the loo's

call me Howard Hughes but i always take some extra toilet roll to grip the handle, then bin it.
    I'm glad it's not just me that does that, I also try not to touch anything, do everything with my elbows

Its our infection control policy that alcohol gel is used in conjunction with hand washing. Its not using it effectively thats an issue. (I work in theatres)
    I understand the point you're making, but there is some logic to the argument that removing all natural skin flora would allow space for pathogens to multiply in the first place, as they do in several other non-sterile sites in the body if they get the opportunity (I am medically qualified).

That does make sense, but can't you just wash them off too? The published evidence suggests incidence of e-coli and strep, etc, have decreased dramatically in hospitals since the policies were put into place.

Computer keyboards are not only wonderful ecosystems for bacteria ... they are also an ideal environment for fungi ... and might be a contributory factor to the higher incidence (compared to years ago) of fingernail fungal infections.

When was the last time you thoroughly cleaned your keyboard? Most people's toilets are cleaned more often.

dunk

Craftsman
    Chip and pin machines in petrol stations. That is all.

Computer keyboards are not only wonderful ecosystems for bacteria ... they are also an ideal environment for fungi ... and might be a contributory factor to the higher incidence (compared to years ago) of fingernail fungal infections.

When was the last time you thoroughly cleaned your keyboard? Most people's toilets are cleaned more often.

dunk
    Girls can probably get pregnant using those...

Re: OK own up

Quote Originally Posted by andrew e View Post
    Chip and pin machines in petrol stations. That is all.
    Truck drivers have the highest instance of penile dermatitus of any profession... that is all ;-)

OK own up

I never knew thespians had such hygiene issues.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    I never knew thespians had such hygiene issues.
    Why of course dahhling, I must have my corsage spotless and germ free before I go on