closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is a comfortable romm temperature?

What is a comfortable romm temperature?

It’s that time of year again, my heating hasn’t gone on yet, cost a fortune to run, I don’t really feel the cold and am still quiet happy to put a jumper on if it's chilly but, starting to get moaned at by my kids and girlfriend, what is a comfortable room temperature? Looking on the web it seems to be above 18 degrees, but I would find that positively tropical.

Bollox just noticed i screwed up the thread title
    Last edited by adrianw; 12th October 2012 at 10:15.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    It’s that time of year again, my heating hasn’t gone on yet, cost a fortune to run, I don’t really feel the cold and am still quiet happy to put a jumper on if it's chilly but, starting to get moaned at by my kids and girlfriend, what is a comfortable room temperature? Looking on the web it seems to be above 18 degrees, but I would find that positively tropical.
    Offices tend to be set to 20/21 degrees but 19/20 is my preference. 18 doesn't sound very tropical to me.

Anything below 20 degrees and the missus isn't happy. For me 16 degrees is getting cold.

Master
    18 degrees for me.

21-2 in the evenings. Might as well build an igloo if you have to wear layers of clothing inside the house. My house is only little, of course. I don't have the mansions some of you have.
    Temperature is relative of course. Sometimes I'm too warm at 21 and sometimes I need a hot drink if somehow it's crept up to 23 and i'm still cold.
    My boiler thermostat has the odd habit of kicking in and keeping going until it's reached a degree above its setting before kicking out again and staying off until the temperature has dropped below its setting.

Master
    Anthing less than 22 in our gaff and her indoors will be in her thermals and wrapped in a blanket!

I have my boiler thermostat set to 20 but 18-21 seems about right depending on the level of sunlight/air-temperature outside - I then use the TRVs on the radiators to control the rekative warmth in each room. I do feel should be comfortable in the house but expect to wear a jumper/jeans in winter rather than shorts/T-Shirt around the house.

The car is set to 19.5 all year round - again tweaked occasionally if feeling warmer or cold.

We haven't had the heating on yet but the living room temp. at night is 21c. If it's 18c (which I don't mind) Liz feels cold so I tell her to put a jumper on

Rod

I'd say around 21 degree C for living room, dinning room and bedrooms. Bathroom can be around 18 degree C.

Master
    ...I don’t really feel the cold...
    ...starting to get moaned at by my kids and girlfriend...
    1. Turn it up a degree at a time, until they stop grizzling.

2. Retreat to shed/garage.

Master
    anything less than 25 & swmbo will create like only they can, she'd have it around 28 if you could.......

Never measured the temperature in our house, properly. The thermostat is in the hall & normally set to about 21 degrees, but each rad has a thermostatic valve.

My wife & daughter feel the cold, so I spend much of the winter wearing very little indoors to avoid being too hot - our heating has been on for about 2 weeks, but our new windows should at least leak a bit less heat.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

I have just realised why I feel sucked dry of any moisture! The fecking thermostats in my office and at home have been turned up because people have forgotten that it is autumn and that it is eminently sensible to stop pretending it is summer and put some fecking clothes on! At home, the underfloor heating has caused the thermostat for the main heating to fail to turn the house heating on, a problem that will be addressed at some stage soon by relocating the main heating thermostat. However, rather than turn the underfloor heating down a couple of degrees, my girlfriend thought it would make more sense to turn it up to 28 degrees! No wonder my kids were running around in their pants and vests when I came home the other evening!

As other replies have suggested, a comfortable room temperature will be dependant on the occupants. What might be interesting to some is the minimum room temperature allowable in an office is 16 degrees C, or 13 degrees C if physical work is involved. I would like to see the response if I set the thermostat to 16 degrees at home!

I am comfortable with 18 degrees but I don't know any female who is comfortable with anything less than 22 degrees.

I used to work in an open plan office where it seemed permanently set to 16C. It wierded me out that female colleagues would be all dolled up for work but would insist on wearing an XL corporate fleece all day in the office.

22/23C for me, well I do have tits

What is a comfortable romm temperature?

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Anthing less than 22 in our gaff and her indoors will be in her thermals and wrapped in a blanket!
    And constantly saying how cold it is. Then leaving the heating on all day because the f***ing dog might get cold!

I live away from home in an Edinburgh flat during the week - I have only once used the heating, when it snowed for a fortnight, and I was in bed with serious man flu. I feel most comfortable when it's 13-16C, anything warmer and I start to feel constrained.

It's a completely different story in our family home, inhabited by all girls (including dog) other than Thomas the cat (who loves a warm radiator). It's rarely below 20C there (which explains the £5pm vs £60pm gas bill differential ).

21 C minimum.

Who wants to dress up indoors?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Wife's mother and father live in a decent sized detached, but M-i-L 'feels the cold' their gas bill for the summer quarter was over £800.

Master
    Opposite way round to the normal here, it is me who feels the cold.

I have it set at 20, which is too high for my wife. She would like it around 18, I would like it around 22

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    21 C minimum.

Shy trannies.

^^^ Very good!

18.5% during the evenings, 16.5 during the day.

But we do have a wood burner so it can go above that with the fire on.
    Anyone touches the themostat gets a bollocking from me or asked to make a contribution to the oil bill (about £1200/year)

Andy

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Work out doors, I can deal with any temp, mrs that works in office is always bloody cold!

Quote Originally Posted by jmarchitect View Post
    I am comfortable with 18 degrees but I don't know any female who is comfortable with anything less than 22 degrees.
    Or who understands how a thermostat works - if it is heating to 20 but feels cold as not reached there yet surely 28 must be better ?

I have just dropped my temperature from 21° down to 20° during the day and evening as it felt too warm and it is on 18° at night time.

Luckily I don't have somebody complaining about the cold here at the moment

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    Or who understands how a thermostat works - if it is heating to 20 but feels cold as not reached there yet surely 28 must be better ?
    Don't forget a thermostat is normally placed 2/3 up the wall, and as heat rises, whilst sitting down, the temp will lower than the level to which the stat is set....

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    20/21 is ideal for me.
    if i have cold feet then im not happy.

i'd say most of us like different temperatures , with that in mind i'd go with whatever you are comfortable with :)

Master
    16 during the day
    20 during the evening although as i approach an older age i feel the cold even more.

How does your house reach down to 16? Mine only gets that far if it's the depths of a -5 deg winter.

21c.

Having said that, SWMBO would have it dialled up 28c in the UK and -5c out in the apartment in Egypt (she doesn't understand the concept of thermostats)...

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

OK I've turned the bloody thing on

Craftsman
    20 C on the thermostat, but the combination of an ageing back boiler makes for poor efficency. We just has some more loft insulation put in as there was minimal scraps up there, next hoping the missing felt between joists will be replace.

Oh the joys of living in military married quarters!

People are being very precise about the setting they are most comfortable with, but in reality what is the industry standard for domestic heating thermostats.

Would it be in the region of +/- 2 degrees for an average one? Genuine question, as we might all be sitting happily in rooms a good percentage warmer or colder than we think.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I a freezer, like 22deg

Journeyman
    I have a old heating system here, I have the boiler set to min and the stat that brings the pump and and off set to max, that way the water is constantly circulating. I would prefer not to have the heating on (I walk round in winter in shorts and flip flops) but my t'other half has arthritis and moans when it is cold.

Craftsman
    My wife likes the temperature to be 21/22, I prefer about 18, but the heating is permanently on, I'm so lucky.

We have the A/C set to 23.5 all year round in the office, when the temps are below that and the A/C is off then everyone complains about feeling the cold. No heating at all at home or office, if it's cold (say < 16C) then it's a case of more layers and a blanket. The year the temps here dropped to 8C was the coldest I have aver felt in my life, even the Swedes, Russians and Canadians I know were saying it was the coldest they have ever felt as well.

Anything between 18-22 seems fine to me.

17 during the day. 20 during the evening. 17 overnight.
    Unless you are using digital thermostats (room stats / TRVs etc.) then this isn't an exact science.

21/22 I'd probably prefer It warmer too, why not wear pants and vests indoors ;)
    It's just a matter of time...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Seamaster View Post
    I'd say around 21 degree C for living room, dinning room and bedrooms. Bathroom can be around 18 degree C.
    Same for me.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    21 C minimum.

21°C......far too warm! What are you doing man, sitting around in your underkeks!

If I set my thermostat to 21°C the upstairs will be like a bloody oven after a few hours.

16°C maximum for me, and tell the women to get a sweater on if they're cold. A tight Yorkshire git like me doesn`t waste brass on heating if it can be avoided!

Have to admit, I like to be warm if working on watches. Can`t work with cold hands!

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    And constantly saying how cold it is. Then leaving the heating on all day because the f***ing dog might get cold!
    Yes I have had that one too, joke

The other night I had a sweat on whilst doing very little and went to check the thermostat 25, for gods sake it was cold when she poped home at lunchtime to let dogS out. Global warming is an issue in my house
    Last edited by AndyMilts; 13th October 2012 at 21:07.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by hhhh View Post
    People are being very precise about the setting they are most comfortable with, but in reality what is the industry standard for domestic heating thermostats.

Would it be in the region of +/- 2 degrees for an average one? Genuine question, as we might all be sitting happily in rooms a good percentage warmer or colder than we think.
    Myself included has anyone ever checked their thermostat is actually accurate? In the 20 degree club here, but do admit to winding up when chilly...

Master
    18 or I'm ready to pass out......

Wife has it much higher when I'm not in and when I open the front door I nearly throw up.

What is it with women and the cold?

Craftsman
    Recently moved to a house that is thatched. Seems to keep the heat really well.

Wife likes 22 by the end of the evening its oppressively hot!

Ive turned off the radiator in the bedroom. Its wonderfully cool in there, no idea what the temperature is but it feels great!

Alan

This is like a domestic battle for me, I have sneakily blocked the thermostat from going above 20 and just sit back in my shorts and t shirt while the mrs cocoons herself in a blanket.

18 is just right for me but then again I like the cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Smudge45 View Post
    This is like a domestic battle for me, I have sneakily blocked the thermostat from going above 20 and just sit back in my shorts and t shirt while the mrs cocoons herself in a blanket.
    We have the same issue. I like it cool, wife likes it warm - constant battle turning the radiator thermostat up and down (don't have temps, just 0-5). Trick is to turn it down, but not down too much or else you provoke a retaliation and end up getting "cooked" with everything on full.