closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you dive in your diver?

Craftsman

Do you dive in your diver?

I wash chatting to a few mates recently about my obsession with dive watches. Not functional computer / pressure type ones, but your Subs of this world.

I'm sure people on here will have been diving at some point as a hobby, but I for one get sea sick at the mention of the word 'boat' let alone head into the deep.

So... have you every dived with your diver? Or chickened out of sending your £5k beauty into the deep?

Craftsman
    I dive with a watch, as a backup for my Suunto computer. Done many dives with my IWC Aquatimer, Rolex Sub, Omega Seamaster and PO... Which is nice to do, cause I like diving-watches a lot, but you should always remember that a cheap backup-watch like a Casio G-shock makes a bit more sense than go diving with a +5k piece, and if you do dive with a expensive piece, you should have no fear damaging or loosing it during a dive.

Makes no sense when a pushpin fails on that expensive puppy and it falls from you wrist into the deep, there's a danger you'd go after it then, which can be very dangerous or lethal. So, ask yourself this question, "Can you afford to damage or loose it, are you sure you won't go after it into the abbys when it falls from your wrist?".

If no, get a cheap Casio or Seiko to do the job.

Master
    part of the reason its 5k is that its designed to go diving in, go for it! dive!!!!!

Do you dive in your diver?

I swim with it...

Master
    No..... in truth few of us dive. On holiday I snorkel and that's as close as I ever get to properly utilising a divers watch.

So why do we buy them? Two reasons for me... I have an 8" wrist so small watches seem to look 'silly' on my wrist, and I just happen to like the style. I suppose that there is also a certain amount of 'maleness' about a divers watch, which is of course subjective, but it's no surprise to me that there are so many divers watches around.

Rob

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fordystar View Post
    part of the reason its 5k is that its designed to go diving in, go for it! dive!!!!!
    Do you really believe that? Seriously. One can buy ISO rated dive watches and have change from $200. They are just fine for recreational diving. It doesn't cost 5k to build a waterproof watch. Maybe this used to be expensive manufacturing technology, but not for the last 50 years or so.

I don't dive these days apart from occasional snorkelling, but all of my dive watches get wet regularly. If they say 200m on the dial, I expect them to keep out the water. If they can't, then they deserve to die.

Craftsman
    Yes, I dive with all my dive watches (16600, U1, OM), except my LV as I haven't had it with me on a dive trip yet!

The thing that irks me is not flying a plane when I have my pilots watch on, one day!!!

Craftsman
    Yes, I dive with my watches but not expensive ones. I actually lost a fairly decent watch on a wreck in the UK a few years back and now use cheapies with a nato as I am less likely to lose them.

I have an old beater quartz diver ($100 in Oz, now done 300-400 dives so looks a mess) or a G-Shock 5600 that I use. Of course my dive computer does the heavy lifting and the watch is only backup.

I did dive once in my LV on holiday, but looking back that was plain stupid, even for a shallow dive in clear water.

Of course I do.

Yep - have dived with a few of my watches.
    Those that I have dived with are:
    Doxa Sub 750T Pro
    Orsa Prodiver
    Precista PRS-18Q
    Seiko SKX007
    Luminox Navy Seals

All used as a back up to my Suunto Vyper.

Don't dive anymore :( but if I did I'd still wear a watch as back up.
    Not sure I'd take my Rolex Sub diving though through fear of loosing it - although it's no safe queen as it has a few marks on it.

Will dig out some pics from my last Red Sea trip with a couple of watches.

I've only done a few shallow dives and I've worn my Heuer 980.006 for all of them, as well as a fair bit of snorkelling and otherwise messing about in an aquatic context: I normally wear it on a NATO which helps with the springbar-failure fear. As long as the seals are good (and tested/changed regularly so they stay good) I see no problem with using a waterproof watch under circumstances where you need it to be waterproof.

Get it wet? You must be joking.
    I use my cheaper watches for that, mainly my 200m G-Shock.

Craftsman
    Interesting replies.... Love the Ploprof posted earlier too looks amazing in the right context (Yet under shirt cuff not quite to much)

Craftsman

Nope only swimming

No a diver but agree its the style that I like, dark face luminous hands, chunky. Great for working on old cars which is where mine get used most, they are hardy and dont mind the odd scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by Reapercushions View Post
    So... have you every dived with your diver?
    Of Course ! what do you think I'm going to do with it ? Keep it in a safe and take it out every now and then to stare at ?

Richie

Master
    Yip me too :)
    "The pit" Cenote, Mexico.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Yep, wear mine too, they are tougher than people think.

Mike

Master
    The only diver I wear for swimming is my SMP quartz as I won't risk my autos in the pool or sea. Too easy to mess them up by a careless knock or two IMO.

That's why I bought the SMP in the first place.

I wear 'em in the pool.

Been swimming but not diving, unless off a rock into the sea counts.

Craftsman
    Only taken a Timex diving so far but when I next get the opportunity one of the Seiko's will be going. Monster or Skx007 - it would a shame for them never to do what they were designed for.

never dived with a watch, hand washing is about as wet as it gets - exciting i know!

N 28 deg, 31' 18.4902 W80 deg 33' 40.035"
    I do not dive in my diver........

Even at 46 mm, it's a little small for me to fit in.

Master
    To the yes replies, how deep do you go, or is a dive instructor holding you round the waist as you splash about a bit ?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    To the yes replies, how deep do you go, or is a dive instructor holding you round the waist as you splash about a bit ?
    I dive the Marianas Trench regularly. On AIR. Trimix is for pussies. Chuck Norris carries my kit to the boat for me as a mark of respect.

I can't really swim. I have been known to wear a dress watch whilst dressed though.
    And I once wore a G-Shock whilst being quite surprised.
    If there was a "pootling on teh intehnet" watch I would buy that.

Of course.

It would be rude not to.

Bremont Q&D by Noodlefish, on Flickr

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    It would be rude not to.

Bremont Q&D by Noodlefish, on Flickr

That dial really looks sharp under water :)

To answer the OP's question... yes, I do. I turned 55 this year and I got to feeling a little silly having twenty dive watches, but no diver's certification. So, I went and took the classes, and then took a diving vacation. I even took the wife along. Now, no one can call me a "wannabe". I'm a diver. And, yeah, I wore my 14060m.

Last edited by TakesALickin; 10th October 2012 at 04:30.

Master
    I went to 70m in the Ploprof. Again the The Pit Cenote.

Master
    Diving with a divers on, don't be daft, I don't even shower with mine on.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
    Diving with a divers on, don't be daft, I don't even shower with mine on.
    Diving is one thing, showering quite another. You need at the very least 2000M water resistence for showering to be able to withstand the brutal pressures that a shower puts on a watch. The only worse thing you can do is sauna where you can literally hear the O rings exploding inside the watch and see the rubber dripping down the inside of the dial.

Found a couple from my last dive trip to Marsa Alam in 2010.
    Deepest I've been is 35m.

Really miss diving
    Last edited by Chris W; 10th October 2012 at 09:16.

Master
    I regularly dive in my faithful Seiko BFK, normally on a Nato, so far been down to 41metres no problem. I have yet to dunk my PO as its new and I think il wait till its got a few dings firsts.
    Sorry about the poor pic, it was taken at Anglesey in June viz has been rubbish this year.
    Kev

During the surface interval at Anglesey,June 2012.Lovely day.

Last edited by bubblehead; 10th October 2012 at 09:42.

I use mine but are always fearful of damaging or losing it

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    Diving is one thing, showering quite another. You need at the very least 2000M water resistence for showering to be able to withstand the brutal pressures that a shower puts on a watch. The only worse thing you can do is sauna where you can literally hear the O rings exploding inside the watch and see the rubber dripping down the inside of the dial.
    LOL. And if it'll do that to your watch, think what it's doing to your body. Better to cover oneself in grease, wrap a bear skin around oneself, and find a place far from water. Or give up wearing dive watches and live a normal life, perhaps?

Here's a précis of the exchanges one sees on forums:

Q: Why do you like dive watches?
    A: I like the idea that they are designed to be rugged, to take pressure and thermal change and keep running, and I like to wear them because they make me look like the kind of person who would be as rugged as the watch.
    Q: Do you take your watch diving?
    A: OMG NOOOOOO!!!!!! Do you have any idea what exposure to WATER would do to my precious little baby dive watch??????

Transference....it appears to go both ways.

Craftsman
    Wow. A Bremont and PloProf amongst others. If I could afford those watches I would definitely dive with them!

My only dive with my LV got so many comments on the boat about divers following me waiting for me to drop it, that I never dived it again.

Nope, but I do swim in it.. and shower occasionally. Yes, I shower occasionally.

Master
    I tend not to as I don't like wearing two watches on one wrist and the alternative is having one on both which I also don't like! I just use my dive computer (Suunto Stinger) and that's it.

First post! Quite appropriate since I'm equally fascinated with watches & diving ...

When abroad - YES! I believe last time was Key West, I went for the full Costeau cliché, swimming trunks and scuba tank. And watch (PO).
    At home - NOOO ... To fit it on my dry suit I'd need to swap the bracelet for a belt! Or use glue.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seffrican View Post
    Do you really believe that? Seriously. One can buy ISO rated dive watches and have change from $200. They are just fine for recreational diving. It doesn't cost 5k to build a waterproof watch. Maybe this used to be expensive manufacturing technology, but not for the last 50 years or so.

I don't dive these days apart from occasional snorkelling, but all of my dive watches get wet regularly. If they say 200m on the dial, I expect them to keep out the water. If they can't, then they deserve to die.
    Well some of us wouldn't want to wear a piece of shit for 200 usd , if I have spent a chunk of money on say a sea wolf 3000m depth ill use it as I choose, I was asked a question to which I answered what exactly is your point?

Master
    Wore my Tag Heuer Kirium when I did my PADI stuff.
    Funnily enough, I tend to stick to snorkeling now... and it's just the Seiko Monster for that.

Master
    Yep, have dived with my SD, Seamaster and Orange Monster :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fordystar View Post
    Well some of us wouldn't want to wear a piece of shit for 200 usd , if I have spent a chunk of money on say a sea wolf 3000m depth ill use it as I choose, I was asked a question to which I answered what exactly is your point?
    Guess the point was you can buy a watch capable of using to dive in for less than 5k, not telling you how much to spend or what to wear?

i read it as also in a "a real dive watch costs 5k-ish" kinda way.

Yes, quite a lot. Even used one of them as a timer when the computer went belly up.
    Nowdays its mostly blue water stuff and they are worn to be used as back up just in case.

Grand Master
    i read it as also in a "a real dive watch costs 5k-ish" kinda way.
    LOL

I suspect that the more expensive the watch, the less likely it is to go in the water. This is not so much a reflection of the attributes of the person wearing the watch (high-end divers are more likely to be found in the boardroom or trading floor than on a boat), as the understandable aversion to the risks of losing a multi-thousand pound piece of jewellery in the drink.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TakesALickin View Post
    To answer the OP's question... yes, I do. I turned 55 this year and I got to feeling a little silly having twenty dive watches, but no diver's certification. So, I went and took the classes, and then took a diving vacation. I even took the wife along. Now, no one can call me a "wannabe". I'm a diver. And, yeah, I wore my 14060m.

Good for you :)
    I am in that process right now, at 42.

Master
    The casio gshock is the professional divers choice as a dive watch.

Craftsman
    The casio gshock is the professional divers choice as a dive watch.

You have got to be kidding.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by unixshrk View Post
    You have got to be kidding.
    Just quoting from here, I don't know if he's kidding

http://diving-watch.org/GUEST-WATCHES