closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Which would be the keeper?

Which would be the keeper?

Forgive the excuse to post a few pics and my thoughts, but I've strayed from my "one per brand" rule in the Glashutte department by quite a margin, and since I have a couple of obsessions on the horizon (particularly a JLC 8-Day PC or VC Overseas), I'm having trouble deciding which is to be the "keeper".

I think the watch I would be least likely to let go has to be my PML XL - particularly as it was the hardest to source. It's a beauty from both front and back. It is a great formal/casual hybrid, it has complications with the moonphase and large date, and it is sufficiently interesting to represent GO in my collection.

The other two are more of a dillemma. The Seventies is a fantastically well put-together bit of kit. It still has the large date complication, the dial is fascinating, and the bracelet is a work of art. It's unashamedly retro, but I think it works? Is it too big - but it wears very comfortably? It's thin, but certainly makes a statement on the wrist. Is the blue dial too much? But why have just another anonymous looking watch?

The PanoInverse is obviously more of a statement. It's certainly not practical in the sense on legibility, but it actually wears very subtly. The finishing of the dial is superb, and the dual swan-neck looks fantastic, but is it more of a collector's piece than a practical watch?

I suspect all are a little marmite, but I'm still conflicted on which I would sacrifice.

Firstly your pics are excellent, so well done on that. I must admit, I'm not really a fan of the Seventies, so I'd get rid of that. The other two are peaches. I'm not familiar with he sizes of each, but 39mm is the sweet spot for this kind of watch IMHO. Either way, each watch represents superb engineering; I could be apply just looking at the movements...

Top one for me... by a long, long way...

I think they are all really nice, but I would keep the seventies to wear and keep as I have really liked this watch in its blue dial version since I first saw it.

It is a Stunner. Glad I do not need to choose.

I dont envy your choice here but after seeing your beautiful pictures I realize that I need to check out The Seventies in person.
    Best of luck with your shortlist.

Banned
    Dump the moonphase watch, the other one is a timeless classic.

Great photos and all stunning pieces, but it would be the Seventies for me (to keep).

Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    Dump the moonphase watch, the other one is a timeless classic.
    If by "dump" you mean trade with me then I agree...!

Craftsman

Keeper

The third watch may be a technical marvel but it is trying too hard to be clever without regard to practicalities or aesthetics. I really like the look of the second watch but in the context of your other fine watches, it probably struggles to stand out as something special.

The first watch (PML XL) is the one of the three that I would keep. However, would you consider selling the three of them and getting a Lange 1 which is the more upmarket version of the PML?

Stunning pics!

Only you can answer this question but if it was my money tied up I would keep the seventies, for no reason other than aesthetics, omega did a slightly similar seamaster which would scratch an itch for me.
    Lovely collection and fantastic pictures.

I would keep the top one.

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
    However, would you consider selling the three of them and getting a Lange 1 which is the more upmarket version of the PML?
    There's no doubt that the Lange 1 is a fantastic watch, and the fine detail finishing of the movement is in a different league to GO (and most other brands for that matter). I'd like to own a Lange at some point, but I admire GO a lot, so wouldn't want to sacrifice all of them for a Lange.

I'd keep the seventies and the size looks good to me (based on your previous posts).

The other two may well be technical marvels, but aesthetically I'm not a fan of watches that don't utilise the full width of the dial and dislike the empty outer spaces.

No. 1 or 3 for me.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Predictably i agree with most others, the top one is the keeper. I'd briefly forgotten how good GO were, the finishing is fantastic & i agree that the 3rd is a beauty but a little too much imho.

On another note, does the Seventies have a display back or the fine clasp adjustment that the SE has? Sellers remorse is kicking in & i'll be off to peruse the web shortly!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I have two GOs myself and would happily have more. I couldn't part with any of them.
    I have tried to look at them objectively and say that one is the lesser keeper, but I can't they are all three so different and so wonderful. Which probably explains why you bought them
    You will struggle to make this decision I am sure.

Keep them all is what I say

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyal View Post
    Predictably i agree with most others, the top one is the keeper. I'd briefly forgotten how good GO were, the finishing is fantastic & i agree that the 3rd is a beauty but a little too much imho.

On another note, does the Seventies have a display back or the fine clasp adjustment that the SE has? Sellers remorse is kicking in & i'll be off to peruse the web shortly!
    Scratch that, i searched & saw your SOTC (WoW!) so i have the answers. Tough choices.

Apprentice
    Beautiful photos, thank you. I would keep the seventies. Is is a stunner!

The first has to much space on the dial that will never be crossed by hands and the third, though displaying a beautiful bit of engineering, is showing a little too much petticoat for my tastes...

Rob,

You sort of answer your own question by saying the PanoInverse is more of a collectors watch and isnt that legible, which you also said last week so would guess that's the one thats less of a keeper.

All 3 have their place, does one have to go or is it your one per brand rule thats making it go?

The JLC would certainly soften any blow though.

Malc

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm68 View Post
    Rob,

You sort of answer your own question by saying the PanoInverse is more of a collectors watch and isnt that legible, which you also said last week so would guess that's the one thats less of a keeper.

All 3 have their place, does one have to go or is it your one per brand rule thats making it go?

The JLC would certainly soften any blow though.

Malc
    Malc,

The one per brand is a kind of self-imposed discipline I try to follow to keep my collection sensible, especially when there are other watches I want from other brands. Obviously I've gone a bit off-plan with GO's but they are all sufficiently different to have a place in one collection.

As you say, if I have watches to wear rather than collect, I need to base my decision on which I wear the most. I've hardly worn the PI, so it's probably the one to go.

Quote Originally Posted by hsukirk View Post
    (Didn't you also have GMT ?)
    That was Tony, but I think Java has it now?

[QUOTE=robcat;2462726]Malc,

The one per brand is a kind of self-imposed discipline I try to follow to keep my collection sensible, especially when there are other watches I want from other brands. Obviously I've gone a bit off-plan with GO's but they are all sufficiently different to have a place in one collection.

As you say, if I have watches to wear rather than collect, I need to base my decision on which I wear the most. I've hardly worn the PI, so it's probably the one to go.

If it is the PI to go, wouldn't mind getting my paws on it before it does.

Malc

Journeyman
    Definitely PML XL!

Master
    I'd keep either 1 or 3... not feeling the love for #2 I'm afraid..

Master
    If you're going to wear it, keep the Seventies.

The other two are fine for keeping in a box, only taking them out to marvel at their construction every so often, but not on the wrist every day.

I don't like the PanoInverse, too busy. I think the Senator is the most wearable for my tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by adim View Post
    Definitely PML XL!
    definitely +1

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by adim View Post
    Definitely PML XL!
    agree with this!

At least you managed to buy three different models. When I went vintage Seventies Glashutte, I ended up with two of the same and still haven't got round to deciding which one I want to keep...

Of the three of yours, I would definitely keep the PanoInverse. I tried one on when they were first released and it is a stunning watch which is definitely on my list to own at some point.

All the best,

Paul

In reading your post it sounds like you have already made up your mind.

I think the watch I would be least likely to let go has to be my PML XL
    The Seventies is a fantastically well put-together bit of kit. It still has the large date complication, the dial is fascinating, and the bracelet is a work of art. It's unashamedly retro, but I think it works?
    The PanoInverse is obviously more of a statement. It's certainly not practical in the sense on legibility, but it actually wears very subtly. The finishing of the dial is superb, and the dual swan-neck looks fantastic, but is it more of a collector's piece than a practical watch?
    So 1 stays, 2 is wearable and 3 is for collectors. Sounds like 3 has to go.

keep the top one ... very nice

I agree with many others, keep 1 & 3, the seventies is the one to let go.

Journeyman
    Stunning watches, and really great photos as well - tough decision, but if i had to choose i would keep number 1.

...........either way you're not going to lose - they're all great!

Master
    I know we've spoken on PM and I may take partial responsibility for your dilema having posted up pics of my JLC 8 day and VC Overseas Chrono recently but from a completely unbiased point of view I would be holiding on to the Panomatic Lunar XL. The other 2 are nice but that one just sits a little further ahead for me. Very classy looking watch that would like right with a suite or jeans and t-shirt. The Panoinverse is technically fantastic but I'm not as keen on the smaller dial for the time and think of this watch as more a piece of art than a watch. The Seventies is again a very nice looking watch but looks quite "plain" next to the Panomatic Lunar.

Panomatic lunar. it's perfect.

I'd keep the 70's ...but then I am old so that might explain why

I would say get rid of the PML XL, but only if you sell it to me. I have the factory picture set as the wallpaper on my desktop, to remind me that I must have one. The preciousss..

Just kidding, all three are beautiful pieces but the PML XL would be the keeper for me. I tried one on in Vegas earlier this year and it was gorgeous. I was waiting for some cash to hit my account at the time, otherwise I'd have succumbed and bought it there and then. I'm still scheming how to get hold of one..

Cheers,

Plug

Master
    I'd say the panoinverse is the one I'd release should I be Lucky enough to have to choose, though I'm not and I'm sure you'll be happy with whichever you keep....

Quote Originally Posted by Thorien View Post
    I agree with many others, keep 1 & 3, the seventies is the one to let go.
    Agreed ! But Rob if you want to let go of the panoinverse let me know as it would look good next to your old IWC 7 day auto that I now have !

Well I'm sure none of these are helping your decision given the varied responses but since you ask..panoinverse would go. I would keep the 70s!

Another vote for keeping the top one

My uneducated view would be to keep the top one, although not sure you could go wrong in keeping any of them.

Excellent pictures of some lovely watches. Have you considered taking on 5 more jobs and keeping all of them???

Are you mad? Keep them all!! :-)

I've not done an actual tot up, but the PML XL and Seventies seem to be sharing the love, with the PanoInverse the most popular to move on.

it's interesting though that those who like the PML XL seem to dislike the Seventies, and vice versa (myself included).

In fact I'm really rather taken with the Seventies and would love to see one in the flesh, but am not aware of anyone carrying them in the south (or anywhere in the UK come to that).

I sort of like the PP Nautilus (but not £20k like) and do have a gap for both a square watch and a dress watch, so a Seventies could fit very nicely. I find 40mm too small for my tastes though, but a square 40mm might be another proposition altogether.

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.

ooooohh!!

If I could marry a watch, I would propose to a Glasshute!

Before the 2nd world war, the watchmakers of both Glasshute and Coventry used to exchange ideas.

Then Coventry was bombed, and in retaliation, Dresden, which is close to Glashutte.

During the war, the Glashutte factory was used as a POW camp.

How sad.

Lange have certainly returned in style!

Even wristwatches with fusees.

webwatchmaker.com

Master
    I would let the PanoInverse go and keep the PML & the Seventies - love that blue dial ...