closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moonwatch on Mesh.... A big no, no ?

Moonwatch on Mesh.... A big no, no ?

Was thinking of doing just this. As I haven't really got a decent bracelet for my '70 Speedy.

Pic not mine.... And mine has the earlier stepped dial.

Although a "sharkproof" metal mesh seems a bit daft on a Speedy with little or no water resistance ??????

No ?

Looks good to me and that's how I wore mine (now sold)...

The big no, no for me is on leather, although there are plenty of fans on here.

Grand Master
    Can`t see anything wrong with this if the OP likes it; I`d never considered a mesh bracelet as being sharkproof!

I`m trying to picture a scenario where a sharkproof watchstrap is desirable; if a shark is snapping at your wrist the situation's pretty dire and retaining your watch is unlikely to be a priority.

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 7th October 2012 at 18:34.

I'm not a fan of dive bracelets on anything but divers. Equally I don't like rally straps on divers. One other issue for me with mesh bracelets on anything without hidden lugs is that there's a very harsh line where the bracelet ends and it creates an obvious gap to the curved edge of the watch.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    Its pretty bright , how would ,does it wear ? Very similar post just below

Hi

Not a combi for me I'm afraid....either keep it on the bracelet made for it or pop it on a perforated racing strap....

Best - Neil

Master
    Blog Entries
    Not my cup of tea tbh. That's probably more to do with the fact I don't like mesh bracelets.
    Having said that, Speedie's tend to look great on anything.

I had mesh for my speedie, but I did not liked it. It felt not completely right. Now I have mesh on Hamilton GMT and it looks great on mesh.

Master
    I think the Speedy Pro is one of the very few watches that look good on any kind of strap or bracelet (except rubber, imo). It's fine on the mesh too.

Banned
    Never tried it, but it's personal preference I guess.. this is my optimum choice..

Banned
    I think they look better in well taken photos than on the wrist in the real world to be honest.

Then again mate, you can carry anything off

That said, I'm thinking of getting one to add to the set for my SM300 (20mm), so if you get an OEM one and hate it....

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    I think the Speedy Pro is one of the very few watches that look good on any kind of strap or bracelet (except rubber, imo). It's fine on the mesh too.
    Wow love that strap.... Is it available in black to?

Moonwatch on Mesh.... A big no, no ?

I have always found that mesh bracelets look great in pics but not on my wrist. Same as NATOs. They just don't work for me in real life. So, the photo you posted looks great... but it's probably a look I'd get sick of in the long term. I also find that moonies look great only, and strictly only, on an original speedy bracelet. Everything else looks odd.

A no from me.

Massive no from me. And Darren, I'm genuinely unable to even comprehend your statement regarding Speedies on leather. I know it's all about opinion, but the Speedy on leather is simply perfect, surely?

Like was mentioned on the parallel Speedy mesh thread, some of the Apollo astronauts wore theirs on mesh (I'm sure I've seen a pic of Neil Armstrong with one somewhere on the net).

Anyway, mesh looks ok and is certainly not a no no, but not for me... it's leather all the way on mine.

... "The Speedy on leather IS simply perfect"!

Personal choice is key here, if you like it go for it, but please dear god don't put that watch on mesh.

Master
    I think the Speedy can be worn on almost anything. Steel band, leather, nato, mesh........ all look good to me.

I'm currently wearin one on one of Eddie's black canvas straps, which is nice.

It's a big yes! I really like it. Probably better than leather or the original ss.

I guess I'm in a minority but I do like the look of the Speedmaster on the mesh, although I've not seen that combination in the metal (as it were). For some reason I associate mesh with 60s watches and the Speedmaster is one from this period. I'm not too fond of Speedmasters on brown leather though. I'm not sure the dial really goes with brown, but I suspect it depends upon the shade of brown and the lighting.

I agree that divers look odd on leather - I suspect that the look of a diver is about its purpose, and leather doesn't really fit this (although I realise that early Panerais were used on leather before anyone reminds me).

Quote Originally Posted by studs View Post
    Like was mentioned on the parallel Speedy mesh thread, some of the Apollo astronauts wore theirs on mesh (I'm sure I've seen a pic of Neil Armstrong with one somewhere on the net).
    Exactly. Mesh was a standard option on the 60's for these and Seamaster 300s so what is the problem exactly? Looks good to me.

Blog Entries
    Speedy on Omega mesh looks awesome.

Re: Moonwatch on Mesh.... A big no, no ?

I am in the NATO camp. Very cool and suits a big wrist

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock View Post
    Exactly. Mesh was a standard option on the 60's for these and Seamaster 300s so what is the problem exactly? Looks good to me.
    Hi

Interesting....do you have links to any of the original catalogue picture refs or bracelet codes ?

I'm much more familiar with the semi-expandable BCT , leather or sharkskin straps options....

Best - Neil

Quote Originally Posted by studs View Post

Anyway, mesh looks ok and is certainly not a no no, but not for me... it's leather all the way on mine.

... "The Speedy on leather IS simply perfect"!

Yep, for me the Speedy looks best on a battered old leather strap.

With regard to the Apollo astronauts I think the "mesh" in question was a JB Champion bracelet that was actually only mesh on the inside. Similar to this one that I had mine on for a while...

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    I'm not a fan of dive bracelets on anything but divers. Equally I don't like rally straps on divers. One other issue for me with mesh bracelets on anything without hidden lugs is that there's a very harsh line where the bracelet ends and it creates an obvious gap to the curved edge of the watch.
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Massive no from me. And Darren, I'm genuinely unable to even comprehend your statement regarding Speedies on leather. I know it's all about opinion, but the Speedy on leather is simply perfect, surely?
    They just don't look right to me Tony, largely due to a straight line meeting a curve in a different material.

But I find it perfectly acceptable with the straight edge of the mesh - I know, no consistency, but logic rarely comes into it for me and watches.

Plus I don't see mesh as a 'shark/diver' bracelet, I just see it as a different material/texture. And if I like it, I like it. Much like I like (some of) Tim's (Java's) shoes !

Craftsman
    It does not look bad on mesh but it looks better on its bracelet and various leather straps in my opinion.

Well I've gone and bought a wjean version for it, to try it.

Much better than shedding out 200 on an Omega one if i dont like it.

If I like it, I'll get the Omega one too.

Craftsman
    Mesh on a chrono watch looks great - just go for it

Quote Originally Posted by darrenw View Post
    They just don't look right to me Tony, largely due to a straight line meeting a curve in a different material.

But I find it perfectly acceptable with the straight edge of the mesh - I know, no consistency, but logic rarely comes into it for me and watches.

Plus I don't see mesh as a 'shark/diver' bracelet, I just see it as a different material/texture. And if I like it, I like it. Much like I like (some of) Tim's (Java's) shoes !
    Ah, fair enough then. Have you seen it on the Hirsch Medici with the curved ends, though? Fits like a glove.

Quote Originally Posted by WingTsun View Post
    IMHO, a mesh bracelet is made for watches with shrouded lugs. On watches such as the Speedy it just looks as wrong as it can possibly look. The leather strap Europa shows on his looks gorgeous but I must say I never wore mine on anything but the 1450 or 1171 bracelets.
    Agreed, I don't like the gap - reminds me of some recent Breitling mesh styles and not in a good way.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by WingTsun View Post
    IMHO, a mesh bracelet is made for watches with shrouded lugs. On watches such as the Speedy it just looks as wrong as it can possibly look. The leather strap Europa shows on his looks gorgeous but I must say I never wore mine on anything but the 1450 or 1171 bracelets.
    Agreed, I don't like the gap - reminds me of some recent Breitling mesh styles and not in a good way.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    I think that looks awesome on a mesh - I'd never have considered it (and didnt when I had a cal.321 Speedy) until seeing that photo.

Master
    The Omega mesh is a super strap, but IMO should only be used with shrouded lugs.

IMO Speedy Pro is best on a plain strap i.e. not curved/fitted.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Ah, fair enough then. Have you seen it on the Hirsch Medici with the curved ends, though? Fits like a glove.
    Just bought one of those too. Thanks for the headsup :-)

I never thought this would be as controversial as it seems to be! I'm currently wearing mine on an Omega mesh as I type...

Re: Moonwatch on Mesh.... A big no, no ?

Soo many wrongs

Stewart, does this strap have curved ends? It looks great without the gap. I've thought before about a rally strap for my Speedy but haven't seen one with curved ends that I like...

Quote Originally Posted by europa View Post
    Never tried it, but it's personal preference I guess.. this is my optimum choice..

"A man of little significance"

I've never thought of mesh as an exclusively diver style - millenaise bracelets have been used on a variety of watches for years. I think it looks great on the Omega, a perfectly acceptable bracelet option for the watch, and many others with round cases...

Gray

Master
    Not a fan of mesh, but it can look ok on some watches.... not liking it on this combo though.

I've seen Speedmaster's on an Omega mesh and they look fine.

The shark mesh looks great on other watches but not on the Speedmaster. I can't explain why.

Omega mesh - yes.
    Shark mesh - no.
    Milanaise - no, no, no...
    ______

​Jim.

Thought I'd seen Armstrong with a normal mesh somewhere... wonder what he was timing?

For me shark mesh is only for divers/tool watches.

Craftsman

Speedy & omega mesh!

Yup......looks good to me, knock yourself out bud!

I have worn mine on mesh numerous times and I like it. But I'm in the "Speedy can do no wrong" camp, so would like it on a crocheted strap made by an acid casualty grandma in day-glo wool. Probably.

Despite the evidence of Neil Armstrong - who is, after all, a God - wearing one, it's still a NO for me. But the Speedy is soooo versatil [sic] that, hey, why not? If that's how you want to wear it, fine by me. It will always look great.

Blog Entries
    This is a watch that makes any strap/bracelet look good, even those too-thick, too-heavy, brown straps made of distressed yak hide (or whatever) that are stitched to look as if they were sewn by a crazed mountain-living hermit that are the current trend.

Wear it on anything that looks good or feels comfortable and don't listen to the naysayers. Only, don't expect that the mesh is going to protect you from sharks. You need somewhat more mesh for that.

Master
    not for me i'm afraid, but if you like it thats all that matters really

after 8 days of waiting, it arrived yesterday. I like it :-)

That looks Great I must say !!

[/QUOTE]