closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Recommendations - LED V's LCD V's Plasma

Journeyman

Recommendations - LED V's LCD V's Plasma

Moving house soon, and looking to upgrade my 5 year Sony 46" LCD.

Not looking to go 3D, but, may go smart TV.

Was looking at a Panasonic 50" plasma, but, saw a very nice LED Samsung in a customers reception area today.

So, any recommendations ?

40" minimum, 50" max.

Budget, £1,000 max

Master
    I like my 50" Panny Plasma very much .

I was told that Plasma is best for everyday viewing but LCD rocks if you're using gaming consoles.

All I can say is that Plasma suits my viewing habits and have never been "impressed" by others LCD's nor those in various Hotels... but readily accept that those screens might not have been set up to my 'taste'.
    (even though my taste is perfect!)

NB. LED is actually just LCD with a different backlighting system

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by langtoft lad View Post

NB. LED is actually just LCD with a different backlighting system[/SIZE]
    Yep, understand. Just being lazy, as most of the newer technology have used the phrase LED.

The older style LCD screens are slowly being used on cheaper lower spec TV's, or, phased out.

The newer TV's are using the term LED. This does seem to be a better technology, giving a better picture.

Like my Sony, but, my brother in laws Pioneer plasma always seems to give a better picture. I was told the pioneer and Panasonic come out of th same factory .... Not sure if this is true.

As said, I was all set to buy a panasonic plasma, but, seeing the LED today, has made me question my thought process.

Can't go wrong with a good LED Samsung smart TV. As good as they get.

Master
    Just be aware that some have their screens set up for maximum visual impact, contrast, colour set on full blast, to give the wow factor initially but gets awfully tiring with extended viewing.

I have my settings fairly subdued - actually it was set up using the THX programme included as an extra on some DVDs - but there's also the Dynamic, or Game options if I feel the need for extra punch.

Journeyman
    Just be aware that some have their screens set up for maximum visual impact, contrast, colour set on full blast, to give the wow factor initially but gets awfully tiring with extended viewing.

I have my settings fairly subdued - actually it was set up using the THX programme included as an extra on some DVDs - but there's also the Dynamic, or Game options if I feel the need for extra punch.
    Understand what you mean, hence why most TV's in the big high street shops are set up showing cartoons. Easiest "thing" to crank up the settings too make the picture stand out. But, cartoons do not have all the complex colours and shades of normal tv pictures.

My friend has the Samsung LED and it is amazing. Very, very thin. And good for the Xbox too.

Apprentice

I like my Samsung 46D8000. It's even got a Plex Media Server client!

Master
    But beware poor sound quality with the thin TV's

Master
    NB. LED is actually just LCD with a different backlighting system[/SIZE]
    Yes - unless it's OLED, as used in some handheld devices. But OLED tellies are very expensive. Supposedly LG are bringing out a 55 inch OLED telly soon that will be 4mm thick. But it will probably cost five figures.

Which? loved the 55" Samsung LED though did say its sound was only 'okay'. At £2500 I'd expect better.

Re: Recommendations - LED V's LCD V's Plasma

I would recommend plasma too. my other half wanted to go for an led tv with how bright and vibrant the colors were, but as I was buying I bought plasma. the blacks are black (something which isn't very good on most lcd/led tvs) and I love the cool colours it shows. one thing to think about is where it is in the room and if it gets any sun.

Another vote for Samsung here.

Go for true HD rather than HD ready - the setup once home will fix all the colour balance concerns etc.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by o u t a t i m e View Post
    Can't go wrong with a good LED Samsung smart TV. As good as they get.
    Have to agree with this. Have had Pioneer, Panasonic , Sony and Toshiba but I think the Samsung tops them all and looks great too.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by genesos View Post
    Understand the issues of sound quality and the compromise of speakers in thin TV's.

I use a Bose surround sound system to over come the sound issue.

Journeyman
    This came to about £800, Samsung PS51E530 full HD Plasma, Denon AVR1309 AV Receiver and Pioneer 5.1 speaker system. It hangs in our family room. In t'lounge sits a Pioneer 42" plasma, had it for years and it's going nowhere thank you very much. Shame they stopped making tellies.
    As to Plasma against LCD and its variants I've always found that LCD becomes a little headache inducing after a while. I guess it's best for non-real pictures such as games and cartoons. Plasma is just far superior in the rendition of real life images.

Craftsman
    You'll need a decent sound system anyway when watching movies, so I wouldn't get bogged down on the quality of the TV' speakers.

- - - Updated - - -

You'll need a decent sound system anyway when watching movies, so I wouldn't get bogged down on the quality of the TV' speakers.

Craftsman
    ^^^ Obviously, the site/web errors are not fixed yet

Banned
    Agree that's why i have mine hooked upto a bose cineimate.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

For sound, check out soundbars too as an alternative. They are quite a good solution.

Craftsman
    Ilove my 4 year old Panny Plasma, and wouldn't have anything else. Seems fine for gaming too, just run it in low to start. I do however not have the IFC on, the picture loks fake with it running, and like I see on so many Samsung LED' the tv picture looks so unnatural.

Panasonic plasma will be the best quality for picture.

Rod

Another vote for Panasonic Plasma (I have a 42 inch VT30).

I watch a lot of sport, and the clincher for me was seeing the plasma vs a Samsung LED showing Wimbledon just a couple of days after actually attending it live. The plasma looked completely realistic in terms of colours and the Samsung made the court look almost radioactive.

I DO think the Samsungs are very good TVs, and on certain things look very impressive on them, but the plasma suited my needs better.

One thing to be wary of is that LEDs tend to be brighter than plasmas and, as has been pointed out on this thread, all the settings are maxed out. Therefore when you do an A-B comparison in a shop with lots of bright fluorescent lights, the LED can seem a lot more impressive simply because its brighter under these conditions. However in a normally lit home this comparison is largely meaningless and the plasma is plenty bright enough.

The demo I described above was in a darkened room, and the difference in brightness was basically irrelevant to me...

Craftsman
    I would say Panasonic plasma every time.

Whatever you buy though spend some time getting it set-up correctly. A disk with the THX optimiser on it is a great start, better yet get a copy of Digital Video Essentials. You'd be amazed at the difference even a quick calibration can make to the quality. Just picking the right* colour mode (probably called Cinema, Pure, or Colour) and then properly setting brightness and contrast will make a world of difference. In the shop it will be on dynamic mode which will make primary colours look strong but kill all subtle detail. A good example would be someone wearing a white (or black) shirt, when set up properly you would be able to see all the different shades where the material changes direction or casts its own shadows. The more the settings are towards dynamic, the less the detail will be until it is just one mass of white (or black).

I recently calibrated my projector and the difference is amazing. At first glance when flicking between default presets and my custom settings the defaults appear to be more vibrant, but try them with varying content and it becomes clear there is just more definition, clarity, and true colour in the calibrated ones. Details in shadows become visible, the same is true of clouds in a bright sky. Faces are more defined with skin tones being more varied. Everything looks better.

*right being as close as possible to the standard used when creating content.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by richimlong View Post
    Another vote for Panasonic Plasma (I have a 42 inch VT30)...
    Mmmmm Panasonic Plasma seems to be winning.

Have looked at a 50" VT30 and GT30. Both are late 2011 models, being sold off cheap as they have been replaced by newer models this year.

Sound is sorted, I alreadyvhave a Bose lifestyle surround sound system :0)

I spent months trying to decide. Tried every brand, read every review, scoured the Internet etc etc :)

In the end decided to buy the biggest screen I could for the money with the most connections as I have games consoles, BD players etc to plug in. My only must have was minimum 100hz processing for fast movement as I found anything below that made me seasick with repeating or scrolling movements.

Went for a Sony 46 EX model, not one of the all singing and dancing ones but I have been very impressed. Does 3D and internet with a dongle but haven't used these functions. Bought it cheap in Costco mainly for the extended warranty, highly recommended :)

I've just (and I mean just, as in 60 minutes ago) got home with a Panasonic TXP-42GT50. As far as 42-inchers go, I believe this is top of the range. First impressions are...

OH... MY... GOD.

Craftsman

Well done enjoy. Love my th-42pz85b panny.

First big TV I bought was a Panasonic TH42 plasma - unfortunately it stayed with the ex-wife...

Back then plasma was a no brainer and while the gap has narrowed significantly, a good plasma is still the way to go.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Odo View Post
    In the end decided to buy the biggest screen I could for the money with the most connections as I have games consoles, BD players etc to plug in. My only must have was minimum 100hz processing for fast movement as I found anything below that made me seasick with repeating or scrolling movements.
    This is the best advise. Get the biggest screen size you can with the features that you will use. I know many people who have "upgraded" to 3D tv's but have never watched anything in 3D on them, even though they paid a premium for the feature.
    Set yourself a budget and a list of features you require and look at what is available. When it comes down to it, its all subjective as to which is better. You need to look at LCD/LED/Plasma TV's and see if you prefer one or the other. (personally, if they are set up correctly, I have no preference :))

Note that if you spend a lot of time thinking about it, the newer models will appear and you'll start all over again :)

Quote Originally Posted by esulp View Post

Note that if you spend a lot of time thinking about it, the newer models will appear and you'll start all over again :)

This has happened to me at least four times. *insert rolling eyes smilie*

It's all over now though.

Another vote for Samsung LCD.
    I took a punt on a Samsung LCD FreeviewHD smartset when they first appeared. Best TV I've ever had by some margin, and I thought the previous Sony was good. The picture is fully adjustable at a technical level. Blacks are very black. The internet was awash with peering through the grills to see the serial number to find if it has a "good" panel manufacturing location or not. Personally, I think for regular viewing that subject makes nil difference, as I generally only watch one TV at a time. For the first few months I though 40 inches was huge, now it looks tiny. Go bigger than you think if you're viewing 1080, that's my advice.

Craftsman
    One thing I would say about size is that whilst it does make an obvious difference, I would rather have a great 40" than an average 50" panel, so its not everything.

The other route, and for me the best of both worlds, is to have both a small (by modern standards) TV, and a projector. I have a 6 year old Panasonic 32" LCD which still rocks a decent picture that I use for daily viewing. We use it for the news, something light hearted, or the kids shows. But when it's time for a film, sport, big show, or a spot of gaming then the projector comes on with a 106" screen. The difference in immersion is massive. If you watch all the same content on the same screen the impact of the big screen gets lost, as it becomes the norm.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by SternG View Post
    I've just (and I mean just, as in 60 minutes ago) got home with a Panasonic TXP-42GT50. As far as 42-inchers go, I believe this is top of the range. First impressions are...

OH... MY... GOD.

Currently looking at a TXP-50GT30.

Obviously a 50" screen, last years design, but same technology for picture processing as the GT50.

Saw it working today, looks good :0)

Master
    8000 series Samsung is the best I've seen yet phenomenal picture the sound isn't great soundbar or surround needed really Costco had quite a good deal on them last time I was in. The Samsung was bought for the second lounge because of its thin depth it's actually replaced the panasonic plasma that was the main tv now it's that good.

Craftsman
    Recently bought Samsung 40ES6800 and i can thoroughly recommend. Fantastic picture and build in iplayer, itv player etc. got for John Lewis with5yr guarentee..... They pricematch other reatilers

Plasma

I've had the market leading Pioneer 5090lx for 4 years now and have to say the picture is awesome. I can't see me changing for anything other than plasmas. The picture is so natural.
    Last edited by awright101; 7th October 2012 at 14:46.

Craftsman
    We have a Pioneer KRP-500 plasma,I wouldn't give LED house room apart from for gaming. When Pioneer pulled out from the screens market a lot of there engineers jumped over to Panasonic.

Craftsman
    I've had my Panasonic 42" Plasma (TH-42PX80) for about 4 years now and still absolutely love it.

it's mainly used for watching Sky HD, Blu-rays and a bit of PS3 gaming. I've always preferred the more natural look of plasma screens - my Dad's just bought a 46" Samsung LED, and I still prefer my TV.

Master
    I got a great deal on a Panasonic plasma with 3D etc. by buying the outgoing model just when the new one was launched. As far as I could see it was no worse than it had been the day before they launched the new models, but it was a third of the price. And yes, plasma all the way for me.

Pioneer plasma

Quote Originally Posted by Pennywise View Post
    We have a Pioneer KRP-500 plasma,I wouldn't give LED house room apart from for gaming. When Pioneer pulled out from the screens market a lot of there engineers jumped over to Panasonic.
    Those KRP 500 were the best. I used to buy a new tv every 18 months but once I got the Pioneer knew that nothing would beat it. Great sound too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pennywise View Post
    Those KRP 500 were the best. I used to buy a new tv every 18 months but once I got the Pioneer knew that nothing would beat it. Great sound too.

Master
    We have 2 panasonic plasma TV's.

One is 3 years old and whilst only a 1080i it has a superb picture that blows my daughters 32" LG LED out of the water when it comes to just about any film type other than animated films.

The newer 42" is a 1080p and about 6 months old but I cannot remember which model but it is superb, great colour rendition, blacks that are as already mentioned as black as night! Plasma for me just works better than led or LCD especially with faster moving sports or films with lots of action scenes.

I'd take a lot of convincing to move away from plasma let alone consider a brand other than panasonic.

Just my two penneth ;-)

Paul

From a price/performance view get either a Panny or Samsung plasma if it is 55+ inches. Get an LCD if 50 inches or below.

We went into Tesco to look for a new TV as the LCD, Plasma and LED are all side by side so its easier to compare quality and I have to admit we were blown away by the new Samsung smart LED TVs so much we bought one there and then, my only gripe is the colours are a bit too vibrant if you get too close to the TV but you can set it to lower settings if you have a small room, but overall the LED TVs are amazing.

Master
    Surprised to see some people say they prefer Plasma. The picture always seems to look coarser than LCD when I've seen them demonstrated. The pixel structure seems a lot more obvious.

Flat panel tellies will really come of age when true LED screens are affordable, I think.