closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: This is how it all starts

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by mykk View Post
    As an aside, not knowing too much about the merits of different movements, how does the Montega ETA 2892 with the 'bolted on' DD chrono module compare with the 7753 or 2894? (Ignoring the COSC certificate.)

-mykk-

This is a good question to which I can't answer. All I know is that montega movement and eta 2894 are both modular chrono movements and the former is based on 2892. However the 2894 seem to be all in-house eta, but what are the merrits of either montega or 2894 is a question I'd like to know also. Hope someone more knowledge with these things can shed light on it.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post

Eddie
    This one is my favorite option. The black dial is much classier. But seconds track in red does do it for me. it makes it look tacky (!). Would prefer in black.

Quote Originally Posted by clicker View Post
    This one is my favorite option. The black dial is much classier. But seconds track in red does do it for me. it makes it look tacky (!). Would prefer in black.
    +1, though Eddie has stated that he is thinking about shipping both dials and bezel options in the package. How many chaps would actually be up for changing the dial I don't know.

It just goes to show how we're all different. The red seconds ring makes that dial for me.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Journeyman

Eddie
    This one is my favorite option. The black dial is much classier. But seconds track in red does not do it for me. it makes it look tacky (!). Would prefer in black.

- - - Updated - - -

This one is my favorite option. The black dial is much classier. But seconds track in red does not do it for me. it makes it look tacky (!). Would prefer in black.

Master
    Looks gorgeous! Following this project with interest....

Quote Originally Posted by shamardal View Post
    Wow, this is a fantastic build:

Just amazing like this, dial not cluttered, the watch just simply oozes class!

Payment sent! :D
    I seem to have missed something. Is it possible to prepay a deposit on one of these?

How?

Paul

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    It just goes to show how we're all different. The red seconds ring makes that dial for me.
    Yup!

;-)

Blog Entries
    i have to say, I think it looks fantastic, Eddie. I'll take one.

Apprentice
    Maybe the hour hand is too long (and big?) compared to the minute hand...

Regards

Eddie
    I'm loving this one Eddie!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by aviator View Post
    Maybe the hour hand is too long (and big?) compared to the minute hand...

Regards
    I agree I think the hour hand is too long it's not much different to the minute hand and it just doesn't look quite right, only in my opinion of course :) but it would put me off buying it.

A variation thereof:

Journeyman
    Black with the seconds track in red, but with the seconds hand also in red might be just the ticket. Either way I would very much like to own one.

Rosd

Yesssss!!!!

Eddie
    Love It Eddie.

Craftsman
    Another vote for black, I love the way these things evolve but it must drive you mad. Lets hope all of us that fancy one can get our mits on one.

I know the Alba I pictured above is tat, but one thing I've noticed with chrome hands on a while dial is that they're really hard to read unless the hands are chamfered, angled to catch the light. A perfect example of this is the Dunhill DM7. Unless it's pitch dark you can read the time at a glance.

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    I know the Alba I pictured above is tat, but one thing I've noticed with chrome hands on a while dial is that they're really hard to read unless the hands are chamfered, angled to catch the light. A perfect example of this is the Dunhill DM7. Unless it's pitch dark you can read the time at a glance.
    I know what you mean. When I got this Citizen I thought it would be hell to tell the time (ok, it's gold on golden/champaign):

The truth is that it's one of the easiest watches to read. The chamfered hands always stand out from the dial no matter what light conditions (except pitch black, of course).

Apprentice

Nothing new under the sun...

This chrono is really shaping up nicely and its a watch I'll definitely be interested in buying. While browsing FleaBay, I found a really similar Daytona. Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but thought it worth posting. I personally find the details of the Smiths concept more attractive, I personally like the second with the dark dial the most.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by andb; 29th October 2012 at 09:36.

They all look good but I´d really like to see "chronometer" below the Smiths logo as it looks a bit too nude without IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by JCJM View Post
    They all look good but I´d really like to see "chronometer" below the Smiths logo as it looks a bit too nude without IMHO.
    I tend to agree Jussi.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Apprentice

Stating the obvious...

A number of posts have been about the text on the dial.

I've always felt that things like writing "chronometer" on a chronometer are just pointlessly redundant. I'm OK with "automatic" - that is something that isn't obvious at first glance. But its like putting "Diver" onto a Seiko SKX---. Anyone who will be looking at it will know what it is anyway.

I'm not arguing if it looks nude or not, just the point of putting such obvious info. If its the MONTEGA as stated earlier, how about something that is special about the movement, like:
    COSC certified

This would also help improve the resale value of the watch. I think this should also be engraved on the back.

Or:
    R9 Serie

Or on 2 lines:
    R9 Serie
    limite numrote

I'm new to the whole creative process of Timefactors watches but know a bit about project management. I suggest this will be much easier to solve as a 2 part question, because together as 1 you'll have people who like the idea of text objecting simply because they don't like the words. BTW, this is why most graphic designers start working in B/W, so that the concept gets approved before colors get in the way...
    So, I'd make a couple polls and ask:
    • Does it need text there?
    • What should the text be?

Full disclosure: One of my favorite watches is the Benrus Type1 diver, which is about as unadorned as they get.

Andrew

Re: This is how it all starts

Quote Originally Posted by andb View Post
    A number of posts have been about the text on the dial.

I've always felt that things like writing "chronometer" on a chronometer are just pointlessly redundant. I'm OK with "automatic" - that is something that isn't obvious at first glance. But its like putting "Diver" onto a Seiko SKX---. Anyone who will be looking at it will know what it is anyway.

I'm not arguing if it looks nude or not, just the point of putting such obvious info. If its the MONTEGA as stated earlier, how about something that is special about the movement, like:
    COSC certified
    Putting chronometer on the dial is the same as putting cosc.

Are you getting muddled up with chronograph?

Quote Originally Posted by trisdg View Post

Precisely, and I suspect so!

Apprentice

Indeed I did! Ooops. I'll be sure to read more carefully next time!

Actually, I don't think it is... but I might be wrong here. COSC is a Swiss chronometer certificate and, catch 22, the watch has to be Swiss... and accurate to 3 seconds a day. But there are (or used to be) other chronometer certificates, like from the Glashutte observatory. And remember your own marine chrometer, put toghter by Jeremy Thacker to help ships figuring out the longitude.

Chronometer is something that came before the Swiss devious ways (they try to sell you the idea they invented everything clock/watch related...)

Apologies if I've somehow missed it but does anyone know the size on these?

Hopefully 40mm?

Also, as seen from the photo above of the original watch the Smith hour hand is about 20% too long, hopefully that will be addressed.
    Last edited by Saxon007; 13th November 2012 at 04:33.

Following this with interest, put me down for a black faced one when they hit the shelves!!

I really liked the look & concept of the Smiths diver, but I'm turning into a bit of a Seikoholic at the moment, so for me I would rather seek out a nice 6105, but this chrono looks great - and I'll not be affording the original anytime soon!!

Do you have the rights for the Smiths Deluxe trademark Eddie? Think it would be great use of it if you do have, with this being a non military watch. Otherwise I do think the Smiths crown logo with 'ENGLAND' incorporated underneath would tie in well - I like the plain Smiths logo also, but think nodding towards the Smiths Deluxe brand would be more fitting.

Not to keen on the mention of adding anything in red around the 6 o clock sub dial though - that would be taking the homage side of it too far imo.

So, the big question - are we talking 2012 or 2013 for these?? Or is that a little optimistic!?

Hmm, just looking at the pictures again, would it be tacky/too costly to consider integrating the crown emblem into the second hand rather than the dial, so it sits above the Smiths logo at rest??

I personally think it would look great and add a little something, but imagine the cost of having the custom hands produced might be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by amh82 View Post
    Hmm, just looking at the pictures again, would it be tacky/too costly to consider integrating the crown emblem into the second hand rather than the dial, so it sits above the Smiths logo at rest??

I personally think it would look great and add a little something, but imagine the cost of having the custom hands produced might be a problem.
    Custom hands aren't particularly expensive, quite a few of my watches have them. The main problem is the minimum quantity, 500 sets.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

i know i shouldnt ask this but;

any chance of letting me know when i'm going to see mine?

This probably won't happen now. The person who proposed this to me is a new supplier and when I asked detailed questions, I didn't get the answers I wanted or expected. Although the watch was supposed to be "Swiss Made", I was asked to send a deposit of 27,000 euros to Turkey which didn't sit well with me. I can't say for certain it might have been a con but I wasn't prepared to take the chance.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

^I wouldn't risk it either. Shame about your efforts though.

Quote Originally Posted by Marios View Post
    ^I wouldn't risk it either. Shame about your efforts though.
    Aye, and the 2000 Swiss Francs I paid him for the rendered images. He could make a good living out of selling images alone, even if nobody took him up on making the watches.

Eddie

Oh bugger. This one looked like it might have been something really special. I agree about the dodgy Turkey connection. Who owns the IP rights to the drawings?

Edit: would have, definitely been special.
    Last edited by Carlton-Browne; 15th November 2012 at 19:43.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Gutted. I was all kinds of excited about this one too :(

Sorry to hear that.

BTW, is Kemmner out of favour for future projects Eddie? Couldn't he do this one?

Didn't Fricker make cases for TF at one time? Surely they could make this case?

The case is the easy part, it's the movements which are difficult to get. It could be made with either a Valjoux 7753 or ETA 2894 (current movements) or Valjoux 72 and Valjoux 7736 in obsolete movements. Nothing available at the moment though.

Eddie

Argh!

Hopefully shelved rather than buried, would have been a fine addition to the TF stable. One day!

A real shame. After all the hard work too. I was looking forward to this watch with keen anticipation. The renderings were spectacular.

The movement isn't too important from my perspective so if it were possible to produce this with another movement that would be a very good thing.

I know it would change the subdials but what about an ST-19? (duck for cover)

But seriously... it's a pretty good movement and easily available. It would also probably mean a much more affordable watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Kutusov View Post
    I know it would change the subdials but what about an ST-19? (duck for cover)

But seriously... it's a pretty good movement and easily available. It would also probably mean a much more affordable watch.
    Never, never, never, never and never.

Eddie

Master

Eddie
    Why is that?

Eddie
    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper View Post
    Why is that?
    Because this was always going to be a "special" watch.

Eddie

Master

Eddie
    I get your drift

Eddie
    Ah, ok! But aside from that, what do you think of the ST19 reliability on your PRS5, now that 3133 movements are expensive and difficult to get? I'm just asking because there's so many grades of that movement that it's hard to judge how good it really is... or isn't.

Only just read your reply eddie, i'm gutted, especially for you as this looked like a winner, i'm sure you'll eventually find a movement for it though!

Apprentice
    I am also so sorry that this project didn't work oput with Eddie. I am the manufacturer who proposed this to Eddie and we did everything possible to make it happen. The DD 2047 is such a nice precision movement and a watchmodel with this historical background combined with that movement would definitely been a Jewel in the Timefactors collection. It was not the first project which Eddie and me started but failed to finish. I remember we had 3 in total. I don't think that the country of origin was ever the problem for Eddie to back from these projects ( all of our watches are beeing delivered from Switzerland with country of origin certificate, issued by the chamber of commerce) Very often it was the quantity which was too low or the price which appeared him too high but it turned out that going with other suppliers was at the end much more expensive to him. We are a cooperation of 3 independent companies and we manufacture our own movements as well as complete watches (for highly recognized brands). The renderings which we made these projects cost a certain sum, that is right but in case we get the order we credit the client 50% of that sum. As you can understand from the renderings, these are not primitive 2d sketches and they cost you a fortune, but we provide our clients this service for almost nothing. So i cannot understand why we should make a living by just providing sketches. We are selling watches not sketches.
    again, I would have loved to manufacture this model but unfortunately it didn't work out. The movements are no longer available and ordering new movements of the same calibre would be at least 80% more expensive than these ones. Using 7753 and 2894 is also more expensive at lower quality.