closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: This is how it all starts

Quote Originally Posted by 97BlackC5 View Post
    Hows about 'Smiths' & the crown logo up top (as shown in a few of the renderings already), with 'chronometer' in red arched over the lower sub-dial (where Daytona sits) on the photo previously posted?
    +1 would love to see chronometer in red above the 6 o'clock dial

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I thought it might be a good idea to provide both dial and bezel options in the package, giving the option of 4 different permutations from one watch.

Eddie

Brilliant idea.

- - - Updated - - -

I thought it might be a good idea to provide both dial and bezel options in the package, giving the option of 4 different permutations from one watch.

Eddie

Brilliant idea.

- - - Updated - - -

Eddie

Brilliant idea.

- - - Updated - - -

Eddie

Brilliant idea.

OK I could have edited the post above, but a bit of emphasis ain't a bad thing.

Oh and BTW, "chronometer" on the dial is fine. After all, it is a chronometer. A bit of boasting never hurt anybody.

I've only just picked up on this thread (been away a while until recently) and I have to say, this is absolutely stunning. I prefer teh black faced permutations myself, but they are all beautiful.

Eddie, the 4 - way option is a great idea (will make for pass-around heaven :) )

Will deffo be in the market for this.

Cheers,
    Steve.

Re: This is how it all starts

Is sapphire a realistic option or are you going with a domed acrylic similar to the everest?

Can I just interject a bit of nerd and say that those are some gorgeous renders.

Mighty nice timepiece, too, the very best yet IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by waynertron View Post
    Can I just interject a bit of nerd and say that those are some gorgeous renders.

Mighty nice timepiece, too, the very best yet IMO.
    They are indeed. Loving the idea of the multiple choices too!

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

I really like the version with corona, arched Smiths over England and red chronometer. That combination provides the perfect balance to the dial. White dial, red rehaut detail, natural coloured bezel is the top option for me.

Apprentice
    What he said...!

Quote Originally Posted by jmarchitect View Post
    I really like the version with corona, arched Smiths over England and red chronometer. That combination provides the perfect balance to the dial. White dial, red rehaut detail, natural coloured bezel is the top option for me.
    This will be quite something when it comes out!

I go away for a couple of weeks and you go and post this up! Thats unfair, i'm now fully engorged and light headed from the lack of blood!

Do you think it would be better to offer a package of both dials on one specific bezel option? I only say this as id probably like 2 watches...

Just to chuck another opinon in the ring, personally id ask for acrylic on this, its going to be way cooler and look way better than saffire, id take the chronometer away and try to get an applied crown, that would look superb.

Maybe then do one with chronometer on like the rolex roc, rco etc.
    Last edited by ghosty; 14th October 2012 at 10:03.

Deleted.......

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    Deleted.......

Was it a comment about the lack of date? Again??

Can't recall if I've been absolutely clear about this, but I'd buy one tomorrow..

Here here! My choice is black dial with the crown but without chronometer. What movement may this beauty have?

Quote Originally Posted by SternG View Post
    Was it a comment about the lack of date? Again??

Um, yes...

No, it was one in support of the chrono, though I don't know what movement Eddie could use that would allow it to be affordable (for me) other than quartz. A Sea-Gull maybe?

Yes for the Smiths + Crown.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

ETA 2892 with DD module? Courtesy of Montega.....

Um, yes...

No, it was one in support of the chrono, though I don't know what movement Eddie could use that would allow it to be affordable (for me) other than quartz. A Sea-Gull maybe?

At home - But They're Coming To Take Me Away Ha Ha
    Um, yes...

And no date.
    Last edited by Mrcrowley; 15th October 2012 at 19:34.
    Paul

GOT...TO...KILL...CAPTAIN STUPID!

Re: This is how it all starts

Quote Originally Posted by Mrcrowley View Post
    And no date.
    But with the white dial ;-)

A bit off the point or maybe not but what's the experience with the PRS5? I have an ST19 (not on a PRS5) and it never gave me any problems. AFAIK is a very good movement for not much money. There's the 3133 also but now that production has ceased they are being sold by silly money.

Any chance of a bigger pic eddie? Maybe with both dial options on? I'd like to use it as a wall paper and decide what dial to get, if not get both!

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Don't waste time on making pictures; get on with making the watch! (Please)

(That may not go well)

Craftsman

Eddie

Now thats what I'd be ordering!

Journeyman
    Can someone explain the use of 45 min counter? What's the benefit compared to 30 min counter?

And does the hour counter hand move a step in every 15 minutes or every 30 minutes? The Tudor heritage chrono seems to have the same movement but with out the hour totalizer and I have vintage v7734 chrono with the same layout. Still don't get the idea. Or is it just for football fans :)

Quote Originally Posted by messenius View Post
    Can someone explain the use of 45 min counter? What's the benefit compared to 30 min counter?

And does the hour counter hand move a step in every 15 minutes or every 30 minutes? The Tudor heritage chrono seems to have the same movement but with out the hour totalizer and I have vintage v7734 chrono with the same layout. Still don't get the idea. Or is it just for football fans :)
    I'll try to get the answer but it's probable there is a football connection. The movements were intended to be fitted to Montega watches endorsed by Ronaldo

Created by Marc Chatila, the R9 is distinguished by its sophisticated and definitively avant-garde construction. Like a puzzle, the case and bracelet consist of 40 elements all screwed together with no soldering whatsoever. Developed exclusively for Ronaldo, Montega's ambassador, the chronograph features a 45-minute counter, an allusion to the world of football.

Series - 5166 of 19999

Brand: MONTEGA
    Model: R9 Serie limite numrote
    Movement: Automatic Dubois-Depraz, for
    Montega Rotor decorated with
    Cites de Geneve and enamelled
    engraving of Montega's
    coat-of-arms
    Function: Hours, minutes, seconds, date,
    chronograph, COSC certified
    The World Cup’s top scorer, Brazilian striker Ronaldo, is in the middle of a legal battle with a Geneva watchmaker.

Ronaldo has claimed $4 million (SFr5.99 million) in unpaid fees from watchmaker Montega, which has made a counterclaim for $10 million.

Their business dealings had got off to a good start though in 1998. The Brazilian star had signed, through his Italian company Emporio Ronaldo, a sublicensing contract with Montega.

The contract gave the watchmaker the exclusive right to use the "R9" brand on top-of-the-range watches it made, sold and distributed over a three-year period. Nike created the "R9" logo in reference to the star's number on his football shirt.

The world champion was to receive $5.2 million plus royalties. But a clause in the contract stated that the footballer had to be in good health during the time of the contract and carry out promotional duties for the watchmaker according to one of the company's lawyers, Alain Macaluso.

Knee injury

Unfortunately for the Brazilian star, a severe knee injury in November 1999 almost ended his football career and took him away from the spotlight. Especially after a repeat injury sidelined him again in April 2000.

Montega also suffered some major damage along with Ronaldo. Advance orders worth millions of francs were allegedly cancelled, as people were no longer interested in the star and the related products.

The watchmaker ended up with merchandise it couldn't sell, and having already paid Ronaldo $1.2 million.

The problem for the company is that it believes that Ronaldo was already carrying his knee injury when he signed the contract, and didn't inform Montega. The agreement signed by the two parties would therefore not be valid.

Montega is claiming over $10 million from Ronaldo for the costs involved in creating the watch, the losses incurred as well as damages. The footballer obviously claims the contrary and says the watchmaker still owes him millions.

Eddie

Ahh - all becomes clear. The Ronaldo connection explains the screw down chrono buttons - makes it better for diving....

Eddie
    Very nice! both white and black dial versions look great.

What is the diameter of the bezel? Are you planning on using an acrylic or domed sapphire crystal?
    Personally, i would prefer this to be no larger than a speedy pro.

Eddie
    Very nice! Both white and black versions look great.
    What is the size? I hope no larger than a speedy pro.
    Will you use a domed acrylic, or sapphire crystal?

- - - Updated - - -

Eddie

- - - Updated - - -

Eddie

Eddie
    I do like the overall design Eddie, but out of all the combinations this one works best IMHO.
    the black bezel makes it more readable and more of a sports chrono, the metal bezel makes it a bit more of a dress watch
    Last edited by Jeroen; 17th October 2012 at 00:18.

I would like better seeing this one coming out and I think there's also a practical reason... there aren't many affordable "three-eyed" pandas to choose from. This was discussed in another forum and all the options were pretty expensive (think Heuer). There are plenty more reversed pandas around.
    Last edited by Kutusov; 17th October 2012 at 00:34.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
    I do like the overall design Eddie, but out of all the combinations this one works best IMHO.
    the black bezel makes it more readable and more of a sports chrono, the metal bezel makes it a bit more of a dress watch
    Agreed.
    By far the best.

What is likely to be the finish on the white face / black subdial version? (i.e. what is the white?)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubs View Post
    Ahh - all becomes clear. The Ronaldo connection explains the screw down chrono buttons - makes it better for diving....
    LMAO!! Too Funny !

- - - Updated - - -

LMAO!! Too Funny !

PS. The forum has a weird glitch where you go to post a reply and the system gives you an error screen, so you try again only to realize that the forum is reposting your reply over and over again within the same reply.... very weird!

- - - Updated - - -

LMAO!! Too Funny !

- - - Updated - - -

LMAO!! Too Funny !
    Last edited by wainair; 17th October 2012 at 14:34. Reason: explaining the updates...

Craftsman
    Love the layout BTW. I like the black face with the red index over white! Very classy and readable! The Crown on the SMITHS is a must. Nice layout Eddie.

Journeyman

Crown will be perfect with a Smiths logo..

...I mean the Smiths crown logo..

I'm really not a big fan of the modular chrono mov'ts. I had immediate problems with my brand new Tudor heritage chrono regarding the reset which involved a full movement swap out @ RSC which boggled my mind. The watch maker there mentioned they aren't the easiest mov't to work on and likely why it was just easier to replace the entire mov't. My watch maker told me the same about all the problems these can develop and has experienced over the years so I dumped it as a bad bet..

Anyhow, will be keeping an eye on this one and am liking the white dial version the best..
    Last edited by lambstew; 17th October 2012 at 15:52.

What a lovely watch!

Would I be shot down in flames for suggesting another option? A 12 hour revolving bezel like on some Tudor chronos as these give a really useful GMT travel function for travellers. I'd love to update my Tudor Big Block with something newer.

With regards to the Montega movement, Eddie. Did you say you were only able to secure 90 or so of them?

White dial for me please.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    White dial for me please.
    You're getting a pink dial.

Good man eddie! Put me down for one defo!

I'm on the cusp, if it had a date window I'd go for one in a heart beat. That said brilliant effort and if you where to iclude the option of either bezel then i'd seriously consider the white dial variation.
    Also i quite like the "Smiths, England, Chronometer (in red)" i think it added a bit more to the dial.

Master
    There are some cracking combinations there. I like the use of "England" rather than "Great Britain" too.

Craftsman
    These are looking better and better with each new image! Put me down for a white one Eddie!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wainair View Post
    PS. The forum has a weird glitch where you go to post a reply and the system gives you an error screen, so you try again only to realize that the forum is reposting your reply over and over again within the same reply.... very weird!
    Yup, and you can edit your messages to remove the multiple resubmissions! Just click Edit Post.

Thread discussing at http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?238050

Quote Originally Posted by Grandiloquence View Post
    With regards to the Montega movement, Eddie. Did you say you were only able to secure 90 or so of them?
    80 movements only but there is the option to continue production with the 7753 or 2894 if you can get them.

Eddie

Apprentice
    80 movements only but there is the option to continue production with the 7753 or 2894 if you can get them.

Eddie
    Ahh, if these Montega movements are going into this Smiths chrono, then does that mean that the Sewills chrono project is being killed off? (Besides, the Smiths chrono sketches are really very similar to the Sewills chrono. Is there room for both chronos in the Timefactors market place?)

As an aside, not knowing too much about the merits of different movements, how does the Montega ETA 2892 with the 'bolted on' DD chrono module compare with the 7753 or 2894? (Ignoring the COSC certificate.)

-mykk-

Wow, this is a fantastic build:

Just amazing like this, dial not cluttered, the watch just simply oozes class!

Payment sent! :D

Thanks for the confirmation. Does this potentially there will be say 80 COSC pieces followed by a standard grade movement run? Bagsy one of the first 80!

Eddie