closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Zenith Pilot

Master

Zenith Pilot

Following this post the other evening - http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...cester-Village - here are a few more images of my new Zenith Pilot. Am pretty chuffed with it. Same size as the Stirking 10th and it's compadres, but the brushed finish really tones it down, and the simple double sub-dials, matt dial and smaller chrono-pushers help to tone it down more. The strap is a work of art too (in the flesh more subtle than the images make it look) - brown strap with black really looks the business - black on black wouldn't work as well - although I suspect that a black NATO might (if I dared).

Looks great on the wrist - close up it looks large, but once the perspective is right it's pretty much bang on ('only' 6.8" or so..... Watch is 42mm - same as a Speedy)

This was a completely unplanned purchase, so something's gotta give - check out my Sales Corner posts..... two up already, another to follow.

Master
    Meant to post on your previous thread to say I think Zenith got everything spot on with this one - the symmetry of the date position (nicely on the edge of the dial) and bicompax layout, the brushed finish, the clarity, and the star of the show displayed beautifully through the case back etc. It's a cracker and has caused a re-jigging of my wish-list.

Quote Originally Posted by fiddler69 View Post
    Meant to post on your previous thread to say I think Zenith got everything spot on with this one - the symmetry of the date position (nicely on the edge of the dial) and bicompax layout, the brushed finish, the clarity, and the star of the show displayed beautifully through the case back etc. It's a cracker and has caused a re-jigging of my wish-list.

I totally agree. It just oozes quality and it looks spot on too.

That is one seriously sexy watch!

I think Zenith has really pulled it off with the new lines of more classically styled watches,
    when they went all funky it was quite a shock,

they really have a bunch of crackers now!

Not one of my favourites if I'm honest, Alun - the oversized indices don't work with the subdials in my very humble opinion, and I'm not sure that I'm dead keen on the hands. It'll be superb quality, of course, which is helpful for the forthcoming flip.

Smile

That is a cracker. I've always had an admiration for Zeniths (apart from the overly funky range they had) and that one is a beaut. Nice one.

Master
    I really like it, but I feel it's going to be too big for me. No bezel and 42mm.

Journeyman
    Zenith always make excellent stuff. Well, except for their Defy range imo.

Love this Zenith. I think it is much better than latest big date pilot.

Apprentice
    Dear Zenith Pilot-fans,

I am a Master's student at the University of Lugano, Switzerland, and I am currently working on my thesis about retro brands. I am also a watch lover; for this reason, it was not hard to choose the case study for my research part of the thesis: I've chosen the retro inspired Zenith Pilot Collection. So far, I have based my research on the available documents and information I have found online, but I would like to deepen my study by interviewing one or more owners or simply fans of the Zenith Pilot watches. The interview questions are focusing on factors that have influenced you (or would influence you) to buy any of the three pilot watches, and on what the brand represents for you.
    If somebody is interested in answering my questions, I would send you the questionnaire by private message or e-mail. Note that all the information you provide is of confidential nature and would be used for study purpose only.
    Your insight would be really valuable for my study.

Thank you!

Nina

Banned
    Smashing Zenith, I really do like them, a great under-the-radar brand too, much like UG.

Missed the pictures when they were originally posted. Glad to have seen them now, great watch!

Master
    I just wish it didnt say "PILOT"on the dial, but otherwise its such a good looking watch.

Blog Entries
    I find the watch to be quite pleasant looking, but could someone explain to me what pilot elements it has? It lacks arabic numerals, flieger style symmetric sword hands, an arrow or triangle at the 12 position, and a diamond crown. So what makes it a pilot?

Thats one good looking watch.
    Remakably restrained compared to some of the other Zenith horrors, that we saw during the Nataf reign.
    ....and I like Zeniths.

Quote Originally Posted by seffrican View Post
    I find the watch to be quite pleasant looking, but could someone explain to me what pilot elements it has? It lacks arabic numerals, flieger style symmetric sword hands, an arrow or triangle at the 12 position, and a diamond crown. So what makes it a pilot?
    The chrono function?
    Last edited by WatchScout; 4th November 2012 at 13:57.

Quote Originally Posted by seffrican View Post
    Anything can be labelled a 'Pilot' watch. It's just a marketing term. The features you have mentioned are those of B-Uhr german or later RAF navigator's watches - not actually used by the pilots so they are technically not "Pilot's watches" either. In fact outside of well marketed romanticism there is no such thing as a specific "pilot's watch". Zenith's "pilot" range is not claiming to look like any defined style, it's their own sudo heritage look and no more or less authentic than the rather silly IWC "Big Pilots" and other modern fashion replicas.

Just lovely, congratulations.

Craftsman
    What a stunning watch, love it!!

Thanks for the pictures

I like the watch a lot...had not seen it before

Master
    Blog Entries
    That's a stunning alternative to a Speedmaster or IWC etc.

Ty it on a black NATO, I think itll look sensational!!!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quite fancy a new one to go with my old-school model, cohld be a tasty pairing, although I was at the point of stalking spluuuurgh for his Class El Primero which then popped up on SC just asI was skint. Nice to see manufacturers keeping model names alive, even if 41 years makes quite a difference to how they look!

That is lovely.

good quality watches which struggle to hold their value

I like it, good to see Zenith returning to doing what they do best. Classically, even conservatively styled watches, with the 'best' movements.

I would however like to see two changes
    Same coloured date wheel, black or navy blue leather strap, as black & brown don't mix IMHO, like wearing a black suit with brown loafers, it's just not done

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Not one of my favourites if I'm honest, Alun - the oversized indices don't work with the subdials in my very humble opinion, and I'm not sure that I'm dead keen on the hands. It'll be superb quality, of course, which is helpful for the forthcoming flip.
    Any thoughts on the big date version? Looks quite decent to me, although 42 mm seems a bit much.

(literally the first hit on google image search, from worldtempus.com)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by petespendthrift View Post
    Anything can be labelled a 'Pilot' watch. It's just a marketing term. The features you have mentioned are those of B-Uhr german or later RAF navigator's watches - not actually used by the pilots so they are technically not "Pilot's watches" either. In fact outside of well marketed romanticism there is no such thing as a specific "pilot's watch". Zenith's "pilot" range is not claiming to look like any defined style, it's their own sudo heritage look and no more or less authentic than the rather silly IWC "Big Pilots" and other modern fashion replicas.
    Ah, sudo heritage, that explains everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    Any thoughts on the big date version?
    in my view small date version have better balanced dial.

(Hodinkee)

Although it has Arabic numerals, this one lacks the diamond/onion crown, sword hands and arrow/triangle at 12. As far as I know it was considered a pilot's watch by the French government, at least at one time.

Here are a few more French and German military pilot's watches:

(Marv @ PP)

I don't know whether there are any strictly defined rules about what constitutes a pilot's watch design, but you generally recognize it when you see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    Any thoughts on the big date version? Looks quite decent to me, although 42 mm seems a bit much.

(literally the first hit on google image search, from worldtempus.com)
    I tried to reply with a picture of this model on my wrist taken at an AD, but it seems to be impossible to include pictures in a post now for some reason. Anyway, what I hope it would have shown is that it wears well, feels less than 42mm. It's a lovely watch. There's a used one coming up for sale on Chronomaster, can't be that old. Not sure what price Neil will advertise it for, pics on his Facebook and Twitter pages

Master
    I like the Zenith Pilot, until the new one with big date becomes available. Somehow the oversized batons on the dial put me off.

I really, really like it!

Zenith are so much better when they keep things simple - a direction they are thankfully sticking with at the moment.

Although different to the classic Zenith Pilot's, the EP Flyback was originally conceived as a pilot's watch as well. The all-brushed finish and matt dial/numerals work much better than it's shinier siblings IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by robcat View Post
    Zenith are so much better when they keep things simple - a direction they are thankfully sticking with at the moment.

Although different to the classic Zenith Pilot's, the EP Flyback was originally conceived as a pilot's watch as well. The all-brushed finish and matt dial/numerals work much better than it's shinier siblings IMO.

I agree with this, bought one recently to replace a navitimer, much easier for my ageing eyes to read. Love the matt finish, impressed with quality.

Mark

It's a real looker, good choice.