closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Any interest in one of these?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I've just come off the phone having had a conversation about a suitable bracelet but with solid end links which will accept 2.5mm springbars.

Eddie
    Any chance for a bracelet other than oyster style? Maybe a nice solid Jubilee or H-link style?

Journeyman
    I'd certainly be interested in one if the price was right.

Quote Originally Posted by bubblehead View Post
    Flipping heck Eddie. That would be the icing on the cake.Count me in.Can't wait to see what your dial spec is going to be. It's also created a bit of a stir on the SCWF. Mostly positive though especially from members on here. Kev
    I see there's a bit of an argument about who has the "right" to make this. I bought a 6105 off eBay in 2009 to send away to the manufacturer to see what could be done to improve it and even discussed the possibility with Fricker back in 2004 but some projects take priority and some go on the back burner (it would have been a Precista in 2004). It's been laser scanned to get the correct dimensions and all the components have now been sourced except for the bracelet, which will be manufactured specially for the watch.

To suggest I hi-jacked somebody else's project is ludicrous, I didn't even know there was another project on the go because I don't have much interest in what anyone else is doing. The fact that manufacturing drawings already exist should tell you there's been a lot of work done already and it should be ready in 4 - 5 months. As each new watch has a development time of roughly 2 years from conception to completion (except for the CAF and DN GMT ;-) ), it should be clear to anyone who knows that this has been long planned and I have discussed it with a couple of people on here some time ago. This was an obvious choice for an homage and the only surprising thing is that nobody did it before.

There is room for everyone in this business and the final product will stand or fall on quality, price and specification.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Oh yes please Eddie!

I see there's a bit of an argument about who has the "right" to make this. I bought a 6105 off eBay in 2009 to send away to the manufacturer to see what could be done to improve it and even discussed the possibility with Fricker back in 2004 but some projects take priority and some go on the back burner (it would have been a Precista in 2004). It's been laser scanned to get the correct dimensions and all the components have now been sourced except for the bracelet, which will be manufactured specially for the watch.

To suggest I hi-jacked somebody else's project is ludicrous, I didn't even know there was another project on the go because I don't have much interest in what anyone else is doing. The fact that manufacturing drawings already exist should tell you there's been a lot of work done already and it should be ready in 4 - 5 months. As each new watch has a development time of roughly 2 years from conception to completion (except for the CAF and DN GMT ;-) ), it should be clear to anyone who knows that this has been long planned and I have discussed it with a couple of people on here some time ago. This was an obvious choice for an homage and the only surprising thing is that nobody did it before.

There is room for everyone in this business and the final product will stand or fall on quality, price and specification.

Eddie
    As I've pointed out on SCWF to suggest anyone has a "right" to make an homage is like arguing over which of two contemporary bands has the right to record a cover of a Beatles song. It's very silly.

And I'm not arsed about arguments or justifications one way or another, although I can understand entirely your desire to explain your position. It all just seems entirely pointless and an unwelcome diversion to me. You both have every right to be doing what you're doing and more power to both your elbows.

I do think your comment about "now (Jake) has seen my plans" was slightly tactless but his "We'll be doing it right, and using a SEIKO movement" was equally inflammatory.

To be perfectly honest. All I'm interested in are the watches. I'll probably end up buying both if they each live up to their apparent promise. Good luck with your watch, Eddie, I hope it's a stunner.

I also hope Jake's is really lovely too.
    Last edited by Bassplayer; 17th September 2012 at 12:14.

Master

Eddie
    Well said and im sure the majority of people understand this. Its an exciting idea and will be met with enthusiasm from us Seikoholics. Count me in Eddie and looking forward to more pics/drawings etc you tease. Kev

I do think your comment about "now (Jake) has seen my plans" was slightly tactless but his "We'll be doing it right, and using a SEIKO movement" was equally inflammatory.
    I only made that comment because all I've seen of his plans so far is a simple drawing so they didn't seem too far advanced. As I've already said, I really don't care who's doing what but it seems that a vocal few are claiming ownership of this project. I'll throw down the gauntlet to them; if they think they can do it then let them do it, not just shout about it.

I could have used a 6R15 but prefer the Miyota based on my experience of using it.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

In my humble opinion, there is more than enough room in the business for two interpretations of the 6105 theme. Having two well-made renditions allows buyers to choose the one they like best - can't see any harm in that.

Regarding the bracelet: Do you plan on supplying it with every watch, or will the metal bracelet be available as an option, Eddie?

Eddie's drawings suggest that his version retains what for me are three really important elements of the case design: the iconic case shape, conservatively proportioned lug width (22mm would have killed this dead for me) but in particular the inner domed, flat top crystal with chamfered edge, leaving a clear gap between the bezel insert inner edge and the crystal. I am not quite sure from the second drawing whether he is going for a coin edge bezel though - it looks a bit like it uses a design closer in style to the 6309 bezel to me. Above all of that though remains the design and execution of the dial. I imagine that Eddie will go for raised hour markers but I hope he is able to get as close as possible to the crisp execution of the original. There is a huge chasm in quality between the original dial and the cheaply executed aftermarket dials. Please don't scrimp on this aspect Eddie!

Original

Aftermarket

Martin

I am not quite sure from the second drawing whether he is going for a coin edge bezel though - it looks a bit like it uses a design closer in style to the 6309 bezel to me.

Eddie

Journeyman
    Looks like another winner Eddie, and as a collector of both Seiko and Smiths I can't wait to see it!
    Last edited by axb; 17th September 2012 at 20:20.

It's a very exciting prospect and I'm sure it will be appreciated by Seiko lovers on many fora.

I suspect I know the answer, given that it probably goes against the significance of the homage but is there a chance of a quartz movement of some sort?

Cheers

David
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    It's a very exciting prospect and I'm sure it will be appreciated by Seiko lovers on many fora.

I suspect I know the answer, given that it probably goes against the significance of the homage but is there a chance of a quartz movement of some sort?

Cheers

David
    That's not currently a plan but who knows in the future?

Eddie

Eddie
    That has me salivating.

Nice one, Eddie!

I only made that comment because all I've seen of his plans so far is a simple drawing so they didn't seem too far advanced. As I've already said, I really don't care who's doing what but it seems that a vocal few are claiming ownership of this project. I'll throw down the gauntlet to them; if they think they can do it then let them do it, not just shout about it.

I could have used a 6R15 but prefer the Miyota based on my experience of using it.

Eddie

The 'tech drawing' on his FB page does look slightly weak when we see the opening post here...! Plenty of room for both out there, but I don't think you should even give the arguments on the other forum any more time Eddie. Life it to short!!

Looking forward to this project going through to the metal and cogs...

That's not currently a plan but who knows in the future?

Eddie
    Either way, I'm sure it will be a belter!

Cheers

David
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

2.5 fat spring bars are in plentiful supply these days as its the norm. Kev
    Cheers for that.

T

Looks promising

Any interest in a dial that will not be just like the original? And just curious, Eddie, why a "Smiths" instead of a "Precista"?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinCRC View Post
    Above all of that though remains the design and execution of the dial. I imagine that Eddie will go for raised hour markers but I hope he is able to get as close as possible to the crisp execution of the original. There is a huge chasm in quality between the original dial and the cheaply executed aftermarket dials. Please don't scrimp on this aspect Eddie!

Original

Aftermarket

Martin
    The aftermarket hour markers look better than the original!

Are you sure you don't have the dial pics reversed. The one marked aftermarket looks much better than OEM.

Eddie you have me excited about watches again.

"Any interest in one of these?"

What, a Smith's diver?

200m rating?

Nah, not for me.

Count me in!!!

(I think a photo-shoot could be in order, Mr P )

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Dials

I've had one of those aftermarket dials in my hands, as well as owning three original 6105-811Xs (I restored two) and in person, on the watch, the aftermarket dials don't hold up, IMO. The original frames are cut square and the lume is whiter (even aged). The original is a much better match to the original hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Jr View Post
    Are you sure you don't have the dial pics reversed. The one marked aftermarket looks much better than OEM.

Eddie you have me excited about watches again.

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper View Post
    The aftermarket hour markers look better than the original!
    I hope you are joking. The aftermarket dial is the bottom one, the one with cheap, plastic, shiney markers glued to the dial, with centres painted with some shiney green paint. By way of a further comparison, here's a slightly tattier original example:

Here's that 'orrid aftermarket jobbie

and here's a triptych, two originals sandwiching an aftermarket:

Martin
    Last edited by MartinCRC; 17th September 2012 at 19:35.

Master
    I hope you are joking. The aftermarket dial is the bottom one, the one with cheap, plastic, shiney markers glued to the dial, with centres painted with some shiney green paint. By way of a further comparison, here's a slightly tattier original example:

Here's that 'orrid aftermarket jobbie

and here's a triptych, two originals sandwiching an aftermarket:

Martin
    Hi Martin thanks for this. I have to say the 6105 on the bracelet looks stunning much better than the OE waffle or new seiko rubber. Regards.Kev

Hi Martin thanks for this. I have to say the 6105 on the bracelet looks stunning much better than the OE waffle or new seiko rubber. Regards.Kev
    For reasons that still escape me, I sold that one! I've come to the view that these watches are most comfortable on either a NATO or a vintage tropic. I find both the MM300 waffle and the repro waffles uncomfortable, the former particularly so.

Martin

I see Jake's been taking a pop at me on a few forums, claiming I hi-jacked his project. Let him post his manufacturing drawings like I have and let's see how far on with his project he is. Fricker will verify we discussed it in 2004.

Eddie

Master
    For reasons that still escape me, I sold that one! I've come to the view that these watches are most comfortable on either a NATO or a vintage tropic. I find both the MM300 waffle and the repro waffles uncomfortable, the former particularly so.

Martin
    I know what you mean. I had a beautiful all original 6105 spa'd by Jack at IWW on a fabulous oyster which really set it off and I flipped it.Sometimes we don't know what we have until it's gone.

I see Jake's been taking a pop at me on a few forums, claiming I hi-jacked his project. Let him post his manufacturing drawings like I have and let's see how far on with his project he is. Fricker will verify we discussed it in 2004.

Eddie
    I'll go with a Fricker case over a Chinese one any day of the week. I should also add that a couple of drawings on a napkin, a project watch do not make

Master

Eddie
    I wouldn't take any notice Eddie as Jake is well behind his project he's been getting a little grief himself over the unusual delay.I suspect he's doing a little 'Self defense/damage limitation'. Ultimately you are both totally different outfits. Jake mainly sells mods and after market parts and on the odd occassion comes up with a heavily modified homage. You have been long established and sell lovely homages which are of a very high standard. Ultimately buyers will decide what they prefer and any tittle tattle will be long forgotten. So don't rise to the bait Eddie. Regards.Kev

I've no idea who Jake is, but this comment sums it up for me:
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassplayer View Post
    As I've pointed out on SCWF to suggest anyone has a "right" to make an homage is like arguing over which of two contemporary bands has the right to record a cover of a Beatles song. It's very silly.
    R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

interest is growing in me!! looking forward to the final product and pricing!

Master
    Eddie, would you happen to have any proto types yet,dial design????. Im willing to be a guinea pig if you need to thoroughly test one, I can even take it down to 50 meters if you like.Kev

Master
    really hope this watch happens, i'd love to have one

Any thoughts on the bezel mechanism yet Eddie?

Modern Seikos really do seem to set the standard here, might using their spares in the design be an option?

Craftsman
    Thanks to those who posted pics to allow me visualise what CAD looks like in real life and you have another winner with me. No watches for over a year and like buses they seem to be coming all at one - hopefully.

Craftsman
    Glasgow, The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
    Blog Entries
    This is going to be great. The drawing of the bezel has got me all excited.

Journeyman
    Very interested in a quartz version if thats part of the plan?

Re: Any interest in one of these?

What is the thinking with having the face of the crystal .4mm proud of that of the bezel? Doesnt that make it more likely to be scratched than if it were the other way around?

Craftsman
    I'm in!

I'd love one of those.
    Not fussed about a bracelet, the waffle strap would be fine for me.

Craftsman
    Glasgow, The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by river27 View Post
    I'm in!

I'd love one of those.
    Not fussed about a bracelet, the waffle strap would be fine for me.
    Same here. If getting bracelets is going to delay the watch, then I'll have mine on a waffle please.

That looks excellent. Not only is that one of Seiko's most visually appealing watches, it is also one of the most comfortable cases on the wrist. It is a big watch with good wrist presence, but doesn't feel big.

I'm curious about what other improvements on the original you have in mind, Eddie. 200m wr, sapphire crystal with AR, hackable movement, viton gaskets? Any others?

This is going to be popular.

Very nice Eddie - an homage to one of my favorite vintage standards. And even more welcome if your 'upgrades' hold to course. The question now is whether I spring for a new 'Olongapo' bracelet to go with the new watch or move the vintage one over?

Journeyman
    Sir Eddie,

Will you be having a reservation list or just a free for all like you
    did on the Prs14 revival back along ?

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
    What is the thinking with having the face of the crystal .4mm proud of that of the bezel? Doesnt that make it more likely to be scratched than if it were the other way around?
    If it's an acrylic crystal, it's easier to polish out scratches ( and cheaper to replace ) than a bezel. If it's sapphire, it's much more scratch-resistant than the steel...

Paul

Apprentice

I m new

Hi all , i m new to this here.
    I had spend some 4 hrs reading about this 6105 homage watch and some other comments on other forums.

First of all, its about time (after some 45+ years) some one makes a 6105 homage !
    I have seen 6309 homage being done.
    Tudor themselves reissue some heritage model.
    Even the Tuna now has a homage.

However, it is here (from Mr Eddie) that i have seen the manufacturing drawing, specification and some good details being published.
    Others may have their version planned, processed, discussed, said, mentioned or acted on privately......so on and so on. But nothing concrete. Just NATO.
    As far as i am concern, seeing is believing. Mr Eddie's drawing shows that he is serious in making the 6105 homage. The early bird catches the worm.

This round, Eddie is leading.

Mr Eddie in reading, there is 2 points critical in this 6105 homage.
    Movement
    I have read that you are more incline towards a Miyota movement.
    May you reconsider a SII movement to complete a homage. Maybe a 4R or 6R.
    Dial
    Hopefully, the dial design can be as close to the original with a modern touch.

Continuoue the good work and may we be the first to see the watch here !
    Last edited by Seiko; 18th September 2012 at 06:57.

I'm withdrawing from the pointless and time-wasting "we thought of it first" argument and leave it to the watch to do the talking. I know when it will be made, where it will be made and to what standards it will be made. I'm confident it won't disappoint, most people on here know that.

Eddie

I'm withdrawing from the pointless and time-wasting "we thought of it first" argument and leave it to the watch to do the talking. I know when it will be made, where it will be made and to what standards it will be made. I'm confident it won't disappoint, most people on here know that.

Eddie
    Thinking of doing something and actually doing something are two very different things.

R

Apprentice

Eddie
    Good point !

Eddie
    Well said Mr.Sir. Eddie.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Thinking of doing something and actually doing something are two very different things.

R
    Absolutely, an idea without a plan is just an idea.

Eddie