closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whats your most uncomfortable watch?

Anything that's a hair puller, 70/80s digitals suffer a lot from this particular gripe, I'm not going to sell them though

Quote Originally Posted by Retep View Post
    Next to the TAG Heuer Aquagraph it must be this one:

Although an excellent crafted piece I found it very heavy and wobbly. Also no fine-adjustmement on the clasp so either too loose or too tight. On top of this I was constantly afraid of banging it into someting because of its height. But besides all this one of the most beautiful watches I've ever owned. Still miss it.
    I had the same experience with the Inge! Looked for one for months, finally got it and never got to quite fit!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    Not my picture but I had something similar to this and that strap just DID NOT move! It was so thick and rigid that it made the watch unwearable.
    Sadly all the HC range are uncomfortable for me, it's the lug design and the way they turn down from the case.

I don't currently have anything but two contenders of old are the Tag Monaco - edges too sharp, watch shape to uncomfortable - and the Omega Seamaster 120c Big Blue - lugs direct straps/bracelets straight down rather than out the side as in a normal watch so it's difficult to wear at the best of times and impossible on an Omega mesh.
    "A man of little significance"

Blog Entries
    TAG Kirium.....almost unwearable for me due to the bracelet and crown combination

Master
    I have scrawny wrists, and my Black Monster would flop around in an annoying way unless it was tight enough to cut off circulation. One of the few watches i have flipped as I just couldn't get on with it.

regards

tim

Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    Another contender...

Fabulous watch. Great on just about any strap. OEM bracelet the wrist-hair-puller from hell:

I'm totally with you on that one - I have the chrono version and the bracelet can be agony.

Sometimes I put the watch on only to imediately take it off again. It often depends upon how hot a day it is, micro adjustments in the swelling of my wrist can make it either wearable or impossible. I originally bought the watch on the OEM suade strap and am loath to go back to the strap having forked out for the bracelet. I mainly keep the watch for sentimental reasons.

Whats your most uncomfortable watch?

Quote Originally Posted by MFB Scotland View Post
    TAG Kirium.....almost unwearable for me due to the bracelet and crown combination
    And yet for me it's the most comfortable watch I own and my daily beater. I do wear my watches fairly loose however

Craftsman
    Captain Koons - Pulp Fiction:
    "He was captured, put in a Vietnamese prison camp. He knew if the gooks ever saw the watch it'd be confiscated, taken away. The way your Dad looked at it, that watch was your birthright. He'd be damned if any slopes were gonna put their greasy yella hands on his boy's birthright. So he hid it in the one place he knew he could hide something. His ass. Five long years, he wore this watch up his ass. Then he died of dysentery, he gave me the watch. I hid this uncomfortable hunk of metal up my ass two years. Then, after seven years, I was sent home to my family. And now, little man, I give the watch to you."

I think this may count as the most uncomfortable watch!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    And yet for me it's the most comfortable watch I own and my daily beater. I do wear my watches fairly loose however
    I wore the Kirium too tight. It was a good size but just could not get it comfortable.

my pam 328 (now long gone) but after a week or two it become beareble then after a while un noticeable so i guess dont judge things to soon..

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    G shock, plastic strap is nasty

Paul
    +1

Hate plastic/resin straps used on Casios. Recently let go of a G-Shock, very similar to yours because the strap proved to be uncomfortable in hot and humid weather.

My Tag Heuer Carerra. Lovely looking watch but it would never sit right on my wrist even after the strap had loosened off. Shame. I wanted and to be fair still do want a Monaco but I've tried a few on over the years in dealerships and whilst it is one of the most beautiful watches I've ever seen it always looks like a big cushion strapped to my wrist.

None ATM I think.
    But from watches gone by these were a bit uncomfortable from time to time:
    - THAG (on bracelet)
    - IWC Ingenieur (on bracelet)
    - Ploprof 1200m (on bracelet, on rubber it was quite comfortable though)
    - Dreadnought (on bracelet)
    -Omega SM120m Chrono "Big Blue" (hidden lugs on such a top heavy watch makes it tricky to get comfortable on any bracelet/strap)

Quote Originally Posted by mariod View Post
    my (top-)heavy sbdx001 if worn on its bracelet...

y:
    Have to agree with that, its such a top heavy watch, that it can spin a little when worn on the bracelet, so i would second this and probaly say that because i find it uncomfortable i maybe forced to sell it :( Sad sad times..

Dreadnought on the original bracelet for me.
    It's just a matter of time...

The list of tried and failed includes:

- Doxa 750T
    - Seamaster 300M Chrono
    - Speedmaster Pro on modern bracelet (1171 is fine)
    - Tag Carerra chrono
    - Planet Ocean 45mm

A big watch on a strap is fine as the PAM 380 I am currently wearing proves. 45mm and rock solid on the wrist. A heavy watch on a heavy bracelet with a large lug to lug width (top to bottom) is what causes me problems. They just slide all over the place and it is annoying.

Everything I have now is comfortable, unless I wear them on NATOs, which tend to slip around unless cinched up very tightly (and then they're uncomfortable for that reason). I will concede that the MM300 was uncomfortable on the bracelet until I got the clasp positioned properly by experimenting with the number of links on the 6 o'clock side vs. the number of links on the 12 o'clock side.

Of all the watches I've bought in the last few years though, a vintage Seiko "Helmet" chrono was by far the worst. It sits way too tall on the wrist and seems to be curved on the case back to fit a 5.5" or 6" wrist. It was just a very oddly shaped watch.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TakesALickin View Post
    I will concede that the MM300 was uncomfortable on the bracelet until I got the clasp positioned properly by experimenting with the number of links on the 6 o'clock side vs. the number of links on the 12 o'clock side.
    Jeff, would you mind sharing this info please? As in how many links on each side and your own wrist size please.

Must admit I always wanted symmetry until I watched a Breitling info video offering the same suggestion and it worked a treat.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    At the minute mine are all fine, but if I had to pick then my seiko 007 isn't one that I can forget I'm wearing. The rubber strap is too clunky and the head spins on a NATO.

Exactly. Same here

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    Jeff, would you mind sharing this info please? As in how many links on each side and your own wrist size please.

Must admit I always wanted symmetry until I watched a Breitling info video offering the same suggestion and it worked a treat.
    Glad to Burnsey, but I'll have to wait until I get home from work tonight (about 3AM your time, I'm afraid). I'll PM you and reply with a post in this thread.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TakesALickin View Post
    Glad to Burnsey, but I'll have to wait until I get home from work tonight (about 3AM your time, I'm afraid). I'll PM you and reply with a post in this thread.
    Cheers Jeff

I find I generally need to have the 6 o'clock side shorter by one or two links, depending on the link and clasp size. With my sub and SD I have had to turn the bracelet around so that I can achieve this.

Most uncomfortable watch was probably my old Omega Speedmaster 125.

It was my Fifty Five Fathoms... But that was entirely down to the specific NATO it was on.
    Far too thin and not well put together, it meant the rings pressed where they shouldn't.
    Disappointing from TSS, not sure I'll buy from them again.

I've swapped straps to a better quality NATO and it's now great.

haha

+ 1 for the Omega Dynamic depilator strap

I thought the Aquagraph I just acquired (through the SC) was going to be a git...... due to the low crown, as when I tried it on, it immediately cut into my wrist/hand. Although the watch was ever so slightly sized too small for me at this point, so thought I'd give it a chance.

Fiddled around with the 2 half links and full size links to get it spot on (as no micro adjustment)
    Now I can't even feel the crown, it's perfect ...... Unless I do something as daft as a press-up ;-)

so what I thought was going to be a major annoyance and disappointment has turned out fine and dandy.

Uncomfortable..... All 44mm and over Panerai.

Come to think of it, the Omega Semaster Professional full size. I had the black one everybody goes crazy for but just could not get on with it.

I was forever putting the half link in, taking the half link out, making one section of the bracelet longer than the other and the whole time it just used to slide up and down my arm with the low slung crown whacking into the back of my hand leaving the infamous sore red mark. I tried strap options but to me the watch felt scruffy on anything other than the bracelet.

I don't think the watch works on a small (6.5") wrist. The trouble is the mid-size just didn't look like a Seamaster Pro to me. It might sound strange but it just didn't. Conversely, my SM120 multifunction has been fine probably due to its smaller size.

The comment above about the 'road test' is totally right, I tried the full size SMP on in a jewellers and could never have anticipated the crown issue. Bizarrely, I've just seen the most comfortable watch thread appear with loads of votes in favour of the SMP - it just goes to show what suits one person doesn't necessary suit another.
    Last edited by AKM; 17th September 2012 at 19:33.

These 2, you know your wearing them, wouldn't sell though future classics.

Cool Uncomfortable....

A couple of years ago I bought a Rolex Deep Sea, brill I thought, being a diving nut.
    I lived with it for a couple of months but found I was allways bashing things & it was heavy & cumbersome so reverted back to my16600
    SD.
    I sold it to a five foot three HGV driver, the watch was actually bigger than him.
    I spoke to him about 6 months after he bought it & he absolutely loves it, never takes it off.
    Just goes to show, one man's meat .................

After one hour

Girard Perregaux 1945, small seconds. Lovely watch.
    After one hour on my wrist, the sharp lugs bite my skin like a shark. Then the routine of changing wrists during the day.... what a pain.
    If only I could wear gloves !!!!!!.

Master

Another Citizen diver

Most accurate watch (not thermo-compensated, that is) I've owned.

But the polypropylene strap was insufferable!

Craftsman
    Another vote for Steel Ecozilla. It's not the sheer size that made it uncomfortable to wear but rather the stiff rubber band. Didn't try to boil it out of fear of ruining it, so I sold it.

Burnsey, here's what I have - and whether this will do you any good depends, I suppose, on how close your wrist is in size and shape to mine. My wrist is 7" and fairly flat across the top. I have four links on the 6 o'clock side of the bracelet and six links on the 12 o'clock side of the bracelet. On the clasp, I have the last link adjusted all the way toward the center of the bracelet, in the last hole. This has worked out very well for me, I wish you luck!

Cheers,
    Jeff

For me, it's the Seiko 007 on the Z22 strap - just not comfortable at all. Currently have it on a sailcloth which is a lot better.

Occasionally I find that the shirt I am wearing causes watch discomfort. My work shirts are mainly double cuff and several of my watches (IWC 3717 on an aftermarket strap, for example) won't fit under the cuff, causing the cuff to bunch up on the 9 o'clock side and push the watch towards my hand. With casual shirts it's fine.

The other often uncomfortable watch I have is the Glycine Lagunare 3000 which is on a Toshi. It actually works better and fits better on the Toshi than the standard rubber but its size and weight do mean it's very top heavy.

My most comfortable watches are generally the smaller and lighter ones, though I find the classic 40mm sports Rolex models on an Oyster bracelet to be the perfect combo of size vs lightness.

My uncomfortable watches get flipped very quickly - I like to wear a watch I simply 'forget' I'm wearing - I've had a few 44mm Panerai that were really comfy, and 'regular size' watches that we're the opposite. That's why I like to try before I buy, but this can be tough with online shopping :-(

Banned
    Blog Entries

Depending on where I am drinking, could be this one.

Journeyman
    I found the original Speedbird quite uncomfortable. So back in about 2002 I got rid of it. I eventually replaced it with a Speedbird 3 last year.