closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Who knew there were so many special Speedmasters?

Master

Who knew there were so many special Speedmasters?

Whilst perusing Facebook (of all places!) I came across this great, but not definitive, article featuring arguably some of Omega's best limited and special edition Speedmasters by Amsterdam's Ace Jewelers courtesy of The Ace List.

Definitely worth a squiz IMHO...enjoy

Craftsman

Gotta love that meteorite dial.

Meteorite dial and the Alaska are my favourites of the limited editions, although its nice with a MKII racing dial also, many do seem like any excuse to get away with another edition though.

Master
    Some amazing watches on that link!

As an Anime and SF fan I would love to get the Galaxy Express 999 Speedy. Japan only and unfortunatly Japan is a black hole when it comes to collectable watches.

galaxyexpress999.jpg

Not seen another speedy that can match the Alaska.

I vote for the 1st man in space ! The only with aspecial case!

Quote Originally Posted by duffy78 View Post
    Gotta love that meteorite dial.
    Yeah, Id like to see that one up close

Blog Entries
    Mitsukoshi & Meterorite for me, superb.

Master
    A strange list as it mixes two types of watch - limited edition and just plain rare. It's ok as a reference to the LE models but misses a few obvious rare candidates.

Out of those shown I quite fancy the blue dialled Gemini IV and the Apollo Soyuz.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Jr View Post
    As an Anime and SF fan I would love to get the Galaxy Express 999 Speedy. Japan only and unfortunatly Japan is a black hole when it comes to collectable watches.

galaxyexpress999.jpg
    Indeed, i have been trying for a while to get an early 2000s japan only seamaster mayol special edition but the odd one that comes up always goes back into the local market.......

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MST View Post
    Whilst perusing Facebook (of all places!) I came across this great, but not definitive, article featuring arguably some of Omega's best limited and special edition Speedmasters by Amsterdam's Ace Jewelers courtesy of The Ace List.

Definitely worth a squiz IMHO...enjoy
    Great link, thanks

Few more added to the wish list now!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by dutchgray View Post
    Meteorite dial and the Alaska are my favourites of the limited editions, although its nice with a MKII racing dial also, many do seem like any excuse to get away with another edition though.
    Got to agree but then having owned both and now just the meteorite left in my safe I still think it is the most stunning looking speedy I've seen to date :)

Speedy MIR: 1 of 28 (which has been on board of the MIR for a year!)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark020 View Post

Thats a very very nice piece

Master
    I'm lucky to own one on that list -the 50th co-axial chronometer, but I'd also like the blue Gemini IV or the Alaska Project.

Craftsman
    Call me blind but Meteorite face?

Grand Master
    My views on Speedys probably conflict with most people on here.

I accept that the Moonwatch is a classic, but I find the sub-dials look odd because they're too close to the centre of the dial. I think the Speedy reduced 3510:50 looks better on the wrist in this respect, although I do favour the smaller case size for my scrawny wrists.

The majority of Speedy 'limited editions' etc leave me completely cold.

I find the 39mm smaller models much more tempting and I own a very nice bicolour version with a Valjoux movement together with a 3510:50.

As for the big chunky Speedy Mk 2 and 4.5......a definite no-no for me. I`m wearing a 4.5 on a strap that I've just finished working on to check the timekeeping, but it's not one of my favorites.

Each to their own.........I`m sure most people disagree with me on at least 1 point!

Paul

Banned
    The Speedy as been Milked and done to death, they are are real turn off for me.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    My views on Speedys probably conflict with most people on here.

I accept that the Moonwatch is a classic, but I find the sub-dials look odd because they're too close to the centre of the dial. I think the Speedy reduced 3510:50 looks better on the wrist in this respect, although I do favour the smaller case size for my scrawny wrists.

The majority of Speedy 'limited editions' etc leave me completely cold.
    For me the standard Speedmaster dial is perfection (as is the case) and the subdials are perfectly proportioned.....and just about anything that alters that perfection leaves me completely cold too.

Blog Entries
    Nice,but at the end,normal non limited vintage speedy is rarer than these "special or limited editions"

Master
    Slightly OT, but.

I have a hankering for an old speedie, dont mind if it looks "lived in" and i intend putting it on a leather strap for that retro look. I fancy the simple 3570.50 , but dont want anything too chunky as i have small to medium hands and wrists.

Are the 3570.50's bulletproof enough that i can buy an old, beat up one without too much fear of expensive service / repair bills ?

Is there a more robust model ?

I have done some reading up on the various speedies and now my brain is full...

Thanks in advance

Blog Entries
    Is it bullet proof? You know it's been to the moon and e

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael_Mcr View Post
    Slightly OT, but.

I have a hankering for an old speedie, dont mind if it looks "lived in" and i intend putting it on a leather strap for that retro look. I fancy the simple 3570.50 , but dont want anything too chunky as i have small to medium hands and wrists.

Are the 3570.50's bulletproof enough that i can buy an old, beat up one without too much fear of expensive service / repair bills ?

Is there a more robust model ?

I have done some reading up on the various speedies and now my brain is full...

Thanks in advance
    I`m working on one at the moment....I`ll answer in a few days when I`ve finished it!

The case is fairly easy to refinish, the bezel's around £100 to replace, a new glass is £22 and a handset is £59. No autowinding to worry about, just a new mainspring and possibly a spring barrel at service time if everything else is in good order. I`m trying to replace the O-rings in the pushers rather than the whole pusher, should be just as good and restore the water resistance. A new crown is a must on an old hand-wound watch, but they're only around £15.

The one I`m working on is an 861 from mid-eighties. Probably a better bet than the earlier 321 regarding parts price and availability.

Paul

Master
    I`m working on one at the moment....I`ll answer in a few days when I`ve finished it!

The case is fairly easy to refinish, the bezel's around £100 to replace, a new glass is £22 and a handset is £59. No autowinding to worry about, just a new mainspring and possibly a spring barrel at service time if everything else is in good order. I`m trying to replace the O-rings in the pushers rather than the whole pusher, should be just as good and restore the water resistance. A new crown is a must on an old hand-wound watch, but they're only around £15.

The one I`m working on is an 861 from mid-eighties. Probably a better bet than the earlier 321 regarding parts price and availability.

Paul
    I've had most models, from 1959 to the modern 1861 model, with a few auto wind variants in the middle. I love a nice original cal 321 and there are a few to choose from, but I think an early 861 is probably the best all-rounder. I have a mint, bog standard 1969 model and a nice 1968 transitional model and these the ones I keep coming back to. I've had something like 15 or so speedies and never really had any problems with any of them but I do agree with Paul that a 861 is a better bet.

So, am I getting this right, Omega, basically, sent a box of speedys up to a spacestation to sit there for a year to then sell them on for an inflated price?
    As a brand, I have a soft spot where Omega are concerned - this is why many of their limited edition pieces disappoint me so deeply - they seem to target the gullible through marketing, which is the trick of their closest rival and hurts the credibility of the brand a little I think.

Quote Originally Posted by igorRIJEKA View Post
    Nice,but at the end,normal non limited vintage speedy is rarer than these "special or limited editions"
    Very true. And, lets face it the "limited editions" are rarely particularly limited in their run quantity.

I will contradict myself now and say that Ive always fancied a "Snoopy", but entirely for very personal reasons, but, to me the speedy is best left un-messed-with.

Its the same as the whole "Bond watch limited edition" insult to the buyers intelligence - a lovely seamaster spoiled by the addition of a childish 007 seconds hand or face or somesuch thing that has never actually been in any Bond film ever and drags the watch's pedigree down to a sunday supplement/ franklin mint watch advert level of credibility.

Master

Paul
    OK thanks Paul.

Funny - I've twice bought a brand new Speedie, (always the vanilla Hesalite version on bracelet) and just never got on with them. Just left me completely cold, all that moonwatch stuff aside it's just a manual wind chrono with no date and a chrono function which in day to day use is less helpful than the timing bezel on a dive watch. Coupled with low water resistance it just didn't suit my lifestyle so I flipped them very quickly. Just curious as to why this watch is so loved? And if you are a fan, surely the most 'basic' version is more in the spirit of the thing than all these limited editions?!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Funny - I've twice bought a brand new Speedie, (always the vanilla Hesalite version on bracelet) and just never got on with them. Just left me completely cold, all that moonwatch stuff aside it's just a manual wind chrono with no date and a chrono function which in day to day use is less helpful than the timing bezel on a dive watch. Coupled with low water resistance it just didn't suit my lifestyle so I flipped them very quickly. Just curious as to why this watch is so loved? And if you are a fan, surely the most 'basic' version is more in the spirit of the thing than all these limited editions?!
    I think it's the Amazing Iconic History (tm) and Lovingly Handwound Warm Hesalite (c) that does it. The only "limited-edition" - in the sense that Omega makes slightly fewer of them - I like is the "sapphire sandwich" version, but I'd take the date or triple-date version first. The other special editions are a licence to grab surplus from wealthy completists, and more power to their elbow, frankly.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

well I would say that is very desirable. I would get in line for that watch!

Journeyman

Speed master

The most important watch in the world the only watch to be on the moon
    Classic

Journeyman

What?

Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    I think it's the Amazing Iconic History (tm) and Lovingly Handwound Warm Hesalite (c) that does it. The only "limited-edition" - in the sense that Omega makes slightly fewer of them - I like is the "sapphire sandwich" version, but I'd take the date or triple-date version first. The other special editions are a licence to grab surplus from wealthy completists, and more power to their elbow, frankly.
    Hi new to this what does sandwich in a watch mean I see this quite a lot creating up

If I remember correctly, it simply means that the front and rear of the watch has a sapphire crystal fitted, hence the sandwich. The crystal on the rear of the watch allows you to watch the clockwork at work. Some people would argue that have a crystal fitted to the rear of the watch does not enhance the anti-magnetic capabilities of the watch.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post

Not everyone is going to love the speedy, but those that do simply love it because it is one of the least fussy chronograph watches ever made. The black dial/white hands is extremely legible, the close tricompax layout is the most balanced chrono layout you are ever likely to see. The speedy is as timeless looking as you can get, it doesn't look dated today, yet doesn't look blingy/showy/modern, perfect balance of vintage and contemporary styling going on.

Sure functionality wise it may lack on WR but these are minor quibbles, most don't take a £1K+ watch near water anyway. As for the date, many of us don't care about these things. Given the huge choice of sports watches available these days, again mostly dive watches, the speedy is a great alternative classic to own at a relatively affordable price (up to recently anyway). I always maintained that if it said 'Rolex' on the dial, given the history etc, it would be £4K more expensive. Not too gone on the LE's here either but there are some really nice ones, they do need to tone down the releases a bit however.

Journeyman

Beauty!