closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Advice needed...attractively priced omega but

Advice needed...attractively priced omega but

Saw a seamaster 36mm 300m watch at a local AD today. It's new, i believe, but has no box or guarantee. Its price is around 1.2k.

Like the watch, like the price and not having a box doesn't bother me...its the no guarantee I have an issue with. I've checked the usual internet preowned sites and the forward price on one of these 7 years out is around the £950 mark. Not having had an omega before, is this worth a punt? Are seamasters reliable and if it does go wrong am I likely to get ripped off by Omega?

If it is an AD and new it should have the box and papers.
    Is it cheap because it is second hand.
    No papers means no guarantee, personally I would walk away from it.

Advice needed...attractively priced omega but

If it is new from an AD then the price is good but I would check that out as there are many good second hand ones that appear here on SC and normally are complete sets.I would also question the no warranty aspect.If I bought from an AD I would expect some form of peace of mind. Check this out and if in doubt walk I dont understand the fact that is has no paperwork but sold through an AD.They can order replacements if the circumstances behind there loss are known and genuine.

Thanks for your advice.

Quote Originally Posted by alan2273 View Post
    If it is an AD and new it should have the box and papers.
    Is it cheap because it is second hand.
    No papers means no guarantee, personally I would walk away from it.
    Not necessarily. Goldsmiths in the past have had discounted new watches where they have lost the box / papers so sold with their own warranty. I'm sure other ADs could do similar.

Quote Originally Posted by PCP View Post
    Goldsmiths in the past have had discounted new watches where they have lost the box / papers so sold with their own warranty. I'm sure other ADs could do similar.
    Spendor - I'm fairly sure I was offered a deal like that from an AD, will let you know when I remember where it was.

Definately common place, having worked in the industry they are normally new watches that have had the box/guarantee lost or pre-owned that have been refurbed to as new condition. You generally get a 6 or 12month guarantee. There can be some real bargains buying this way.

Not a bad price if it's a Co-Axial but if quartz I'd be wanting to pay closer to £1k. The mid size models don't hold there value too well so think carefully if your not planning on keeping it for the long term.

Hope this helps.