closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: PO 8500 42mm

Blog Entries

PO 8500 42mm

Just acquired this 8500 version of the Omega Planet Ocean. I think a little review may be in order due to the quality of this watch. This one has the 4yr Omega Warranty as it has the Si mainspring version of the 8500 movement. Being a bit of a watch nut I really bought it because of the movement. Anyway without further ado - the obligatory photos:

and a lume shot - in practice though - I cannot see the colour differences at night - maybe it's my eyesight:

but comparison this is the earlier version:

“ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Grand Master
    I love these, it's not often a watch company listens, but this one made me think that Omega had, with the bracelet now a lot better and without the pins anymore, the quality of the watch with the bezel now ceramic, the movement of course and just the overall finish, the only thing that goes against it for me is the thickness, with the movement it now means that the PO looks a lot more balanced with a 45mm case, but that's just too big, but the 42mm looks out of balance, a bit like a 40mm panerai, but then again, it's down to the wearer, it's never going to be an under the cuff watch, like many others on the market.

Master
    That's a stunner Martyn. I tried it but it wore too thick for me. Glad it works for you

Quote Originally Posted by Argee1977 View Post
    I love these, it's not often a watch company listens, but this one made me think that Omega had, with the bracelet now a lot better and without the pins anymore, the quality of the watch with the bezel now ceramic, the movement of course and just the overall finish, the only thing that goes against it for me is the thickness, with the movement it now means that the PO looks a lot more balanced with a 45mm case, but that's just too big, but the 42mm looks out of balance, a bit like a 40mm panerai, but then again, it's down to the wearer, it's never going to be an under the cuff watch, like many others on the market.
    +1

Tried one on in an AD at the insistance of the clerk, totally blown away, then saw the side profile

The AR is amazing

The hands are clumsier and look flatter and cheaper on the new model, as do the batons at 3 and 9. Very disappointing. It also felt very clumsy when I handled it. The new bezel seems a bit better though. And the bracelet is a step up - if you like that kind of thing.
    All in all, however, I think the older PO is the more attractive watch and sunsters recent thread about the liquidmetal 2500 PO shows that, in almost every way, the LM is a more desirable object.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adzman808 View Post
    +1

Tried one on in an AD at the insistance of the clerk, totally blown away, then saw the side profile

The AR is amazing
    It's a bit of a thick beast - but I guess I have relatively 'flat' wrists which means it's ok on my wrist. I've worn Brietlings that feel 'taller' so I guess I'm kinda used to that feel. Now that I have the bracelet sized it fits quite snugly. Here is a snapshot on wrist..

Lovely, lovely. :)

Well done capturing the two different lume colours too, whenever I try they tend to come out the same colour.

Craftsman

Great pic's thanks. They really are something special.

Cracking looking watch Martyn, great pickup, how big are your wrists btw, it fits fine, like a sporty watch should. I'm still a little pissed that they raised the height compared to the old, and contrary to the belief that is was to fit the bigger movement, most of the additional size seems to be in bezel height? How do you find the fit compared to the old version? It is great looking watch though, the movement displayback looks amazing.

Master
    I'm pretty sure the increased size of the 8500 PO is a fashion thing - they could have made it smaller but didn't. Larger watches are "in".

I love the new POs, great catch!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarfan View Post
    I'm pretty sure the increased size of the 8500 PO is a fashion thing - they could have made it smaller but didn't. Larger watches are "in".

I love the new POs, great catch!
    To the best of my knowledge my new PO 8500 is no bigger in case size than my old 2500 PO, bar the thickness.

And if i'm not mistaken Omega do actually make a smaller sized PO 8500 coming in @ 37.5mm.

I really like the look of these and that movement is supposedly excellent. I should try a PO at some point I think!

Master
    Tried one on recently, and I'd agree with the above - lovely quality, looks like a step change from previous versions (not that they're particularly bad) but the thickness is a deal breaker for me. Might look better on thicker wrists, but looked very odd on my thin one in profile, although fine from above.

Cool watch, particularly like it in orange with the rubber (i believe) orange strap. A snip at £3700!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ads54 View Post
    To the best of my knowledge my new PO 8500 is no bigger in case size than my old 2500 PO, bar the thickness.

And if i'm not mistaken Omega do actually make a smaller sized PO 8500 coming in @ 37.5mm.
    The smaller size is the ladies version - my wife has the white ceramic model.

By increased size for fashion, I meant the thickness giving it that "chunky" look :)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seabadger View Post
    Tried one on recently, and I'd agree with the above - lovely quality, looks like a step change from previous versions (not that they're particularly bad) but the thickness is a deal breaker for me. Might look better on thicker wrists, but looked very odd on my thin one in profile, although fine from above.
    I don't have particularly thick wrists - mine is 6 3/4" last time I checked - (I think) it all depends on the shape and balance - also - it's suprising looking at how a watch looks in a mirror - here are a few shots of my PO taken in a mirror..

and 'face-on' (in mirror)

Compare this - shot from a distance viewed in mirror:

And now this 'typical' wrist shot of the same watch - same wrist..

- everything is an illusion - especially perception.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 8th September 2012 at 22:25.

Master
    Does look quite different - I generally look at a watch in the mirror before deciding, but didn't on this occasion as it just felt so tall that it'd be a non-starter. Tbh, whilst it looks fine on your wrist, I don't think it would look reasonable on mine - about the same circumference but different shape, maybe.

Craftsman
    I really like those new PO's

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    It's a bit of a thick beast - but I guess I have relatively 'flat' wrists which means it's ok on my wrist. I've worn Brietlings that feel 'taller' so I guess I'm kinda used to that feel. Now that I have the bracelet sized it fits quite snugly. Here is a snapshot on wrist..

Nice. I do like the PO, and the movement does look very good from the back.

I would go for the 42mm on bracelet or the 45mm on rubber. The 45mm is bordering on too big for me on a bracelet, but seems ok on straps. The sizing of that is very good on you IMO.

I was slightly taken aback at how thick they are though (the Chrono is unbelievably thick). They seem to wear much thicker than my Blancpain FF, even though on paper there isn't much in it. Great as a casual/non-work day watch, but I wouldn't really have one as a work-day desk-diver.

That one looks familiar... ;-)

Glad you're enjoying it Martyn and may I say it looks a lot better on your wrist than mine.

Kind regards,

David
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Craftsman
    still one of the best looking watches even made

If you still have the older version, I would be really interested in a side by side review.

Master
    Had the fortune to try out the new version some months ago and it's really a stunning piece in person. Also thought it was quite thick but pretty balanced, the 45mm was a biggie though. Congrats on a nice diver :)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by carryondentist View Post
    If you still have the older version, I would be really interested in a side by side review.
    Hi - I sold the 'old' 2500 version a while back on SC but probably have enough pictures to do a decent comparison - it was a fine watch but this incarnation really blew me away when I tried it on an impromptu visit to a watch shop in all places Helsinki - It was either this or the new AT which houses the same movement.

For me personally I've been somewhat subconsciously looking for another 8500 powered Omega since selling my PloProf 1200m.

I think the other issue, which your pics show Martyn, is that if you have relatively thin wrists, but quite thick forearms, you can get away with much larger/thicker watches than if you simply have thin arms (I'm sure the 45mm would not look yoo out of place on you, but agree with 42mm is more manageable). People who do a lot of exercise will tend to have this tapered profile - I do, and although I can't get away with absolutely massive watches, chunky designs like 44mm PAM's are fine. Ironically, my wrists were thicker when I did less exercise - it seems easier to put fat on your wrists than muscle.

Journeyman
    Those PO's are looking more and more tempting. I like the sapphire caseback and 42mm is a decent size for my small wrists. Glad that they are still making them at that size instead of the 44+mm monsters you see around nowadays.