closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Citizen Signature BL1258

Citizen Signature BL1258

Only a few years you could buy a sapphire crystal, dressy diver from Omega for around £750. You could wear it diving or with a suit, and could change the time zone as you travelled without upsetting the minutes and seconds. Even James Bond wore one ;) But with Swiss new prices catering ever more to those who brought the world to economic ruin – a public sector worker like Bond would surely baulk at nearly 4K for a Planet Ocean – it’s time to look elsewhere for common sense pricing. For the mechanical fan there’s our good host Eddie’s very own Precistas and Smiths, plus the likes of Steinhart and Christopher Ward who continue to make affordable pieces – even Sinn have succumbed to the temptation of charging ever more. If you like quartz robustness but think paying over £1000 for one is just wrong, the choice is more limited.

I walked into Alsal watches in The Strand when I was in London last week and spoke to Tim, the son of the owner. He's a complete WIS and sells less known brands such as Vostok, Junghans, Ventura, and Eterna (some lovely Kon Tiki models in there) but Tim wanted to show me the Citizen Signature perpetual diver 300. He had two in stock, a black dial and the blue. He was very impressed by the build quality and spec of the watches and I must admit I was too. I’ve kept Omega, Breitling and high-end Seikos over the last 20 years but these hand-assembled ‘Signature’ models are absolutely just as well screwed together as anything I’ve seen from the big names. Fit and finish of the case and bracelet is superb, and the dials were finished with a lovely sunburst or turbine-like finish which looks better in real life than it does in a photo.

When I learned that the eco-drive solar movement included a perpetual calendar and the ability to change time zone at the push of a recessed button, I stumped up the cash for the blue dial BL1258 version, popped it straight onto a NATO and the next day flew to Athens with my wife to attend a wedding. The watch eagerly gobbled up the bright Greek sunshine to build up a full charge and it looked plenty smart enough with my suit, and on Saturday had it’s first saltwater test with some swimming in the Aegean.

The watch looks good, does all I want, has nice blue lume, legible dial, and is beautifully finished. I suppose that ‘Signature’ makes these the Lexus to Citizen’s regular Toyota, but I’m no longer a brand snob and if it does what I want I don’t mind what’s written on the dial. Indeed when faced with the ghastly reality of Greece’s financial melt-down I think I’d have felt embarrassed to pass a beggar if I’d been wearing a watch worth more than her pension.

Enough of my words – here’s some photos:

On a blue NATO (not as good as Eddie's straps)

Soaking up the sun at ancient Corinth

Caseback

Bracelet – I don’t use it but looks well made with screwed links as far as I can tell.

Nicely packaged

Bright lume, blue on hands & indices

Size similar to a Seiko BFK but weighs less, has sapphire crystal and no need to keep the thing moving to keep it charged.

Again compared to a BFK (on top). The recessed button to the right of the unsigned crown enables various adjustments including the time zone jumps, the button on the BFK is for the power reserve indicator.

Overall highly impressed. It won’t be to everyone’s taste but nothing wrong with variety in the watch world, and does what I want at just over £500 new with a 5 year warranty – not bad at all.

Steve
    (did a shorter review on SCWF yesterday if the photos look familiar)
    Last edited by searat; 29th August 2012 at 10:10.

Thanks for a really nice review, that's one impressive watch for the money, I like the fact that it is Eco drive and also having the GMT hand is superb.

Blog Entries

Great review

And great watch!
    I have these on my radar for quite a while now, an ultimate beater.
    If they pop their new automatic, Miyota 9015 inside, it's a winner as well.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Citizen Signature BL1258

Great review of what looks like a great watch for the money. I'm not entirely sure why they've copied the Tag heuer Aquaracers bezel so closely as Citizen are more than capable of their own design work.

All said and done though it looks a cracker and thanks for the review.

Banned
    Well done on a nice catch, the watch reminds me of my old Aquaracer.

Quote Originally Posted by BigTel View Post
    ...I like the fact that it is Eco drive and also having the GMT hand is superb.
    I can't see a GMT hand.

It's a nice watch & I'm rather fond of Citizen divers.
    ______

​Jim.

Banned

Citizen Signature BL1258

Great review, I've just bought one off the bay for what should be £409 with all duty and taxes paid. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    Well done on a nice catch, the watch reminds me of my old Aquaracer.
    I'd heard they were similar to the Aquaracer but that's the first time I've seen a photo of one - I see what you mean - nice looking watch Captain :)
    Steve

I like everything about it except the bezel, which as others have said, looks like an aquaracer copy, and I didn't like it on the aquaracer.

Banned
    Anyone wanting to see some really nice pics should look here! :)

That is really beautiful i love the textures on the dial may i ask how much?Very nicely made Citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by Boeingdriver View Post
    That is really beautiful i love the textures on the dial may i ask how much?Very nicely made Citizen.
    Full retail in the UK is £575 but I've seen it online for £500, doubtless less in the USA, Dubai etc but the challenge is finding a retailer, Citizen don't seem to be issuing these that widely - testing the market to see if customers will pay more for a watch with Citizen on the dial?
    Steve

Banned

Citizen Signature BL1258

Hi Steve, what's the lug width on these?

Quote Originally Posted by bydandie View Post
    Hi Steve, what's the lug width on these?
    Lugs are 22mm on this one.
    Cheers,
    Steve

Great review Steve. The perpetual calendar and jumping hour hand are cracking features and make this a great holiday watch.

Banned

Citizen Signature BL1258

Quote Originally Posted by searat View Post
    Lugs are 22mm on this one.
    Cheers,
    Steve
    Cheers mate! :)

Journeyman
    That looks really good. Perpetual calendar you say? Great value!

I like that a lot. Agree with the OP about pricing as well. I love a blue lume.

Very nice, and I especially like the fact that the GMT hand isn't distracting. I even like the bezel.

Banned

Citizen Signature BL1258

Quote Originally Posted by simoscribbler View Post
    Very nice, and I especially like the fact that the GMT hand isn't distracting. I even like the bezel.
    Where's the GMT hand? It has a quickset hour function, but no GMT hand. I'm also impressed with the tutorials for the movements on the Citizen website. :)

Where's the GMT hand? It has a quickset hour function, but no GMT hand. I'm also impressed with the tutorials for the movements on the Citizen website. :)
    Definitely no GMT hand - that would be a nice extra feature when travelling.
    Steve

Currently £450 on Amazon using their £50 discount offer.

Blog Entries

Shame there's the VAT

About 375,- Euro's on E-bay from the US of A

Daddel.

Banned

Citizen Signature BL1258

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    About 375,- Euro's on E-bay from the US of A

Daddel.
    That's the one I bought :)

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    I can't see a GMT hand.

It's a nice watch & I'm rather fond of Citizen divers.

Woops, that just shows I need a new prescription for my reading glasses, also how much I like GMT hands I am even seeing them now when they aren't there.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JDB View Post
    Currently £450 on Amazon using their £50 discount offer.
    Is it though, if it's not sold by Amazon then the deal isn't valid I thought?

I was looking at the pics on my new Nexus - must have been looking at the second-hand. I much prefer quick-set to GMT hands personally anyway...

Blog Entries
    That's the one I bought :)
    Ahh, I'm very tempted to click the buy button myself...........

Daddel.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    Ahh, I'm very tempted to click the buy button myself...........

Daddel.
    C'mon, the 2264 was seen to be good value a few years ago when and it only has a battery. This has stonking value, five years warranty and only £409 if they ping you for tax and duty!

Is it though, if it's not sold by Amazon then the deal isn't valid I thought?
    Quite right. It's there in very small and rather faint print.

Quote Originally Posted by searat View Post
    Full retail in the UK is £575 but I've seen it online for £500, doubtless less in the USA, Dubai etc but the challenge is finding a retailer, Citizen don't seem to be issuing these that widely - testing the market to see if customers will pay more for a watch with Citizen on the dial?
    Steve
    Funny enough, but there are two Taunton dealers with these in their windows. I was surprised when I saw them in one, then the second one showed up!

Tried one on and are very nice, I just don't like the polished narrow links on the bracelet on a divers watch.

I like that. I've sorta been tempted by the chrono version of that.