closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Venice - a few (!) photos for your vicarious enjoyment (modem burner)

Venice - a few (!) photos for your vicarious enjoyment (modem burner)

Well, what a great trip, and what a fantastic city! It was everything we were hoping for, and aside from a pretty ferocious storm that wiped out our plans for the second evening it was hot and sunny the whole time (that afternoon, though, was a sight... umbrellas bowling down the street, everyone running for cover, and waves on the Grand Canal as big as you'd find on a windy day at the beach).

Dinner at Cipriani's was probably the highlight of the trip - on a terrace, overlooking Piazza San Marco - but it was a marvellous few days and a perfect mini-honeymoon destination. I was wandering around with my little Canon G11 most of the time, so obviously took quite a few photos (I think there were about 130 in total). It's such a photogenic place, though, that there were quite a few nice ones so I thought I'd post a selection here, straight out of the camera. Apologies if a few of them are in both landscape and portrait format but in some cases I took both and couldn't decide which were better.

And anyone thinking of going to Venice for the first time - do it, you won't be disappointed.

Well done.

Venice is a favourite of ours and you've caught some of the atmosphere there. A very photogenic city as well as the islands.

Did you go up and take pics from the tower? Well worth it next time if you didn't.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Last edited by learningtofly; 28th August 2012 at 13:56.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Well done.

Venice is a favourite of ours and you've caught some of the atmosphere there. A very photogenic city as well as the islands.

Did you go up and take pics from the tower? Well worth it next time if you didn't.

R
    No, no tower shots, although it would have been a great viewpoint... maybe next time!

Venice - a few (!) photos for your vicarious enjoyment (modem burner)

Congratulations on the wedding! Some lovely shots, certainly brings back memories for me but...where is everybody!? You must have been out early to capture the place so quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by RABbit View Post
    Congratulations on the wedding! Some lovely shots, certainly brings back memories for me but...where is everybody!? You must have been out early to capture the place so quiet.
    Thanks! It was actually very, very busy there but I was choosy in terms on when and where I took the shots.

A nice selection of photo's, they bring back a few memories for me as well.

Very nice pics but not a single watch shot?!
    "A man of little significance"

Took the wife for her 40th in 2010

Glorious city. Loved it.

Great pics

Nice.

I went with my wife a few years ago and had a fantastic time.

Those pictures make me want to go back.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Blog Entries
    Well done Tony and congrats your pics bring back a lot of memories of a super city that i and my late wife visited many times having just remarried i certainly want to revisit.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Master
    Welcome back Tony. Sounds like a great success - congrats to you and the 'Mrs'.

As I've said many times before, Venice is my favourite city in the world.

Some great snaps you have taken, to get a feel for the place. Here are few I have from a few years back .........

IIRC correctly, from Accademia Bridge, the wooden bridge that goes over the Grand Canal on the way to the railway station - or more romantically Ponte dell'Accademia

I think I took this from the Doge's Palace (aka Palazzo Ducale) over the Bay, the start of the Grand Canal and at Santa Maria della Salute

And finally a sneeky snap during Holy Communion at Sunday Mass in St Mark's Basilica (aka Bascilica di San Marco)

Wink Excited

Reading with interest,as we are off there on Saturday.
    Only two days in venice then off to the dolomites.
    Figure we will just cruise around, but please let me know if there are any out of the way must see's
    Cheers
    J.

Quote Originally Posted by ASW1 View Post
    Welcome back Tony. Sounds like a great success - congrats to you and the 'Mrs'.

As I've said many times before, Venice is my favourite city in the world.

Some great snaps you have taken, to get a feel for the place. Here are few I have from a few years back .........

IIRC correctly, from Accademia Bridge, the wooden bridge that goes over the Grand Canal on the way to the railway station - or more romantically Ponte dell'Accademia

I think I took this from the Doge's Palace (aka Palazzo Ducale) over the Bay, the start of the Grand Canal and at Santa Maria della Salute

And finally a sneeky snap during Holy Communion at Sunday Mass in St Mark's Basilica (aka Bascilica di San Marco)

Fantastic colours ASWI, what kit did you use to take (inside) Basilica shot?
    I assume they don't welcome tripods inside..
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    Fantastic colours ASWI, what kit did you use to take (inside) Basilica shot?
    I assume they don't welcome tripods inside..
    Thanks - Your question makes me chuckle a bit as the camera for all the pics was this.......

Just shows how lighting and composition are as important (or moreso) than the camera.

Re the Basilica - they don't allow photography at all - so it was a snatched shot from my lap whilst SWMBO and the rest of the congregation went up for Communion.

Congratulations to you both and thanks for sharing pics. I love the 'light beam' shot in St Marc's.

Quote Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
    Congratulations to you both and thanks for sharing pics. I love the 'light beam' shot in St Marc's.
    Thanks very much. Oh, and thanks to Alun for the usual must-get-my-own-photos-in thread hijack.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Thanks very much. Oh, and thanks to Alun for the usual must-get-my-own-photos-in thread hijack.
    You're welcome ;)
    It's all about sharing the love

LOL so true mate so true.. And sorry Tony your series is excellent its just Im sucker for good colour, WA and high ISO shots :)
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    LOL so true mate so true.. And sorry Tony your series is excellent its just Im sucker for good colour, WA and high ISO shots :)
    Don't worry, Alun knows very well that I'm aware of his trickery!

Thanks for the pics and the warm feeling.

Off to Venice again this December for our 3rd Xmas in a row in La Serenissima :-)

11th time in 6 years, here's hoping those 6 little numbers come up soon.

Gratz, and lovely photos !

It's been a while since we went there, lovely place, did you see the glass blowing factories on Murano?

10 min boat trip but well worth the visit, amazing skill!

Quote Originally Posted by Thorien View Post
    Gratz, and lovely photos !

It's been a while since we went there, lovely place, did you see the glass blowing factories on Murano?

10 min boat trip but well worth the visit, amazing skill!
    Actually the storm put paid to that plan, although we did manage to pick up a few nice pieces

ah! venice!

my wife had wanted to go there forever, so I took her, twice.
    before and after birth.
    It surprised us how run down the place is,
    after a while I really wanted to go back home.
    And the smell...
    and the graffiti...
    at one time we could only get something to eat at a chinese restaurant because the italian restaurants were not serving food, that was really really weird.
    anyway, it was the venetians who officially invented china, so I figure that was ok.

hey look! a canal!

Apprentice
    Lovely photos, brought back lots of lovely memories for me, passed through Venice in Feb this year, although a little cooler than your photos, at a chilly -7 'c when we landed, drove via Cortina to Bruneko -22'c there Oouch.

Journeyman
    have been in venice a few times.......first time i swore i would never go back....same experiences as below....smelly , dirty run down etc........but we had walked into town this first time.

second time came in by cruise into the grand canal.....an amazing way to see the city....and have been back several times since. can only recommend hotel stucky....very nice

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post

Snap!

Though mine is on the Isand of Elba !

Journeyman
    loving the pics has me looking up flights as i type!!!!! would move there in the morning.....except i cant swim lol

Apprentice
    Lovely photos, brought back lots of lovely memories for me, passed through Venice in Feb this year, although a little cooler than your photos, at a chilly -7 'c when we landed, drove via Cortina to Bruneko -22'c there Oouch.

Thanks very much! I must say, it's one of a few places I wanted to go back to the moment I arrived home, but we're planning to return for our 1st Anniversary.

Cracking pictures, reaffirming my desire to visit.

Don't think it took anything away from the pictures, but did wonder why none of then had a carefully placed sub in the shot or a perhaps a wrist...

Thanks for sharing.

It is a stunning place to visit. I am not long back myself and I just love it.