closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Req for help identifying watch.

Master

Req for help identifying watch.

When i told my dear old mum about my "new hobby" of learning to repair watches, she said i could have a trawl around in the various watch corpses she had accumulated over the years.

There were some cheapo quartz nasties in there, but i also found this one, which is a mechanical watch branded "Original" with a screw on back. I would appreciate any sage and learned advice about whether it is suitable for me to have a pay with.

i.e/ is it a cheap p.o.s ? or should i leave it alone ? :)

After winding it , it started to run hesitantly at first, stopping every five seconds or so but then kicked into life after a few gentle "jogs" of the winder and is now running sweetly. I am intreagued by the screw-down back and "anti magnetic" legend on the face, but cannot find anything about this brand on the internet.

Thanks in advance

Mike

Original_watch_2.jpg

Original_watch_1.jpg

Master
    Hi!

The name "original" was used by several manufactures connected with Glashutte, I suspect that yours is not one of those. It may be from the following, whose details come from www.mikrolisk.de, but its difficult to know without seeing the movt and caseback for further identifying marks......

Original Württembergische Uhrenfabrik Bürk Söhne Schwenningen, Deutschland
    Original Eterna SA / Schild Freres & Co Grenchen und Solothurn, Schweiz
    Original Selza Co. SA Biel, Schweiz; registriert am 25.3.1943
    Original (im Oval) Karl Griesbaum Triberg, Deutschland
    Original (im Hosenbandorden) Achille Hirsch / Compagnie des Montres Invar / Climax Watch / Vigilant Watch / Cervine SA / Century Watch La Chaux-de-Fonds, Schweiz
    Regards

tim

Master
    Hello Tim,

Many thanks for the help and advise. I have now removed the caseback and the only movement markings are a Bell logo with "Bluebell" underneath it near the centre of the movement and also the inscription "417 Swiss Parts one (1) jewel" then "unadjusted" with some other writing which has been overstamped and obliterated with "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx".

So i am now satisfied that it is, indeed, a cheap P.O.S which i can go for a dig into. The movement is loose within the case and it looks like the movement securing screw is missing - so someone has been in here before i guess.

I will have a good look at the websites you listed ( thanks again ) to see if i can identify the movement and find out more, but either way i think this will be perfect for my first cautious foray into the workings of a mechanical watch.
    Attached Images Attached Images