closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Storing a new watch as an investment

Apprentice

Storing a new watch as an investment

Hi All,

This is my first post so please be gentle :-)

Heres how I got here...

I bought a fake Rolex Submariner in 2004, before then I hand not worn a watch for about a decade. After wearing the fake for a few weeks I decided I wanted a real one, and then I discovered there was a waiting list :-(

A few months on after and checking every Rolex dealers window, I spotted a brand new one for sale, and a few minutes later it was on my wrist. I've since worn it every day, apart from when it was away for a 14 week service in 2010.

A couple of years after buying my black faced Sub 16610, I was introduced to a colleagues Stainless Steel Rolex Daytona, and my search began. Over the last 6 years my wife has got increasingly frustrated with me looking in every Rolex dealer that I passed only to be told that they're not accepting anyone else onto the Stainless Steel Rolex Daytona waiting list. Then last Saturday, whilst checking the window where I bought my Sub, I saw one for sale. I went in, they confirmed it was for sale and I bought it.

I'm not planning to wear the watch for the time being as my Sub serves me well enough. So my question is how should it be stored incase I need to let it go in a year or two. Should it be stored in the original box with the protective coverings attached, or should the protective film be removed? I'm worried that in 5 years time the film my have yellowed and amalgamated to the case and strap clasp.

Thanks Guys,

Justin

Pardon me, but I do not understand the logic behind buying a good watch to put it away inside a safe. Where is the enjoyment in that?

Put the money away in the bank or into something else.

Quote Originally Posted by SS116520 View Post
    Hi All,

Heres how I got here...

I bought a fake Rolex Submariner in 2004, before then I hand not worn a watch for about a decade. After wearing the fake for a few weeks I decided I wanted a real one, and then I discovered there was a waiting list :-(

A few months on after and checking every Rolex dealers window, I spotted a brand new one for sale, and a few minutes later it was on my wrist. I've since worn it every day, apart from when it was away for a 14 week service in 2010.

A couple of years after buying my black faced Sub 16610, I was introduced to a colleagues Stainless Steel Rolex Daytona, and my search began. Over the last 6 years my wife has got increasingly frustrated with me looking in every Rolex dealer that I passed only to be told that they're not accepting anyone else onto the Stainless Steel Rolex Daytona waiting list. Then last Saturday, whilst checking the window where I bought my Sub, I saw one for sale. I went in, they confirmed it was for sale and I bought it.

I'm not planning to wear the watch for the time being as my Sub serves me well enough. So my question is how should it be stored incase I need to let it go in a year or two. Should it be stored in the original box with the protective coverings attached, or should the protective film be removed? I'm worried that in 5 years time the film my have yellowed and amalgamated to the case and strap clasp.

Thanks Guys,

Justin

Quote Originally Posted by JapanWatchConnection View Post
    Pardon me, but I do not understand the logic behind buying a good watch to put it away inside a safe. Where is the enjoyment in that?

Bit harsh.... he's only looking for advice plus he's already bought the watch.

Welcome to the forum by the way!

Apprentice
    Getting the Daytona out the safe to look at will provide a lot more enjoyment than checking a share price online. Also, seeing how the price of my Submariner has climbed over the years, it may not be a bad investment either.

However, I may not have the will power to leave it in the safe for long, but at the moment I need to convince SWMBO that it was bought as an investment.

Craftsman

+1. I don't know enough about rolex but I've never viewed other brands I have owned as an investment in any other terms than enjoyment & consider myself lucky to break even overall.

Master
    Oh dear, I hope you have other investments

Welcome to the forum though.

Craftsman
    However, I may not have the will power to leave it in the safe for long, but at the moment I need to convince SWMBO that it was bought as an investment.[/QUOTE]

Ah! I get it now.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    ^^^^^^^

There will be plenty of conflicting advice about winding it up once a month by hand, on the wrist, or not at all.

The stickers should be OK left on.
    Stainless steel is stainless after all.
    I would be wearing it around the house every now and again.

Re: Storing a new watch as an investment

Congrats on the purchase. I'm of the view that a watch should be bought to be worn but it's all down to personal choice really.
    You say that your Submariner is worth more than you paid for it now and that's after it being worn. Who's to say that the same won't be said for the Daytona? Wear it with pride and enjoy it.

Storing a new watch as an investment

Hi All,

Heres how I got here...
    Welcome Matey!

Master
    What colour dial? One dial can be more popular than the other.....

Btw, 116520 denotes Stainless Steel Daytona... It's abit like ATM Machine.... LOL

Apprentice
    It's a black face, I would have liked white, but when they're as hard to buy new without paying a premium I had to take what was on offer.

Master
    It's a black face, I would have liked white, but when they're as hard to buy new without paying a premium I had to take what was on offer.
    The black is nicer! Wind the watch once or twice a month and keep it in the box with stickers on.

My bet is you will start wearing it within 3 months... :)

Congratulations - two very nice watches. Sounds like you bought it because you like it, with the added bonus that it could be an investment - nothing wrong with that. I've got plenty in my safe that I don't wear that often but equally I don't want to sell.

I'd wear it round the house now and again just to let the movement run - maybe once a month.

Master
    Plastic covering should be ok and it is just there to prevent scratches to the more vulnerable surfaces. Some recommend winding it up once in a while to keep parts moving and lubricated. However I am not sure how essential it is with modern watches as parts are made within very tight tolerance and lubricant should last for years.
    Have you factored in the cost of service, as it may need one if you are to sell many years on. It will have a case refurbishment then, so why not wear it and enjoy!

Grand Master

That is a bit harsh IMO. I`ve got a collection of 19 watches, some of which don't get worn, but I enjoy owning them.

Basically, if you need to ask the question you won`t understand the answer.

In reply to the OPs query, I would take the plastic stickers off and store them separately.

Paul

Grand Master
    That's not strictly true; Rolex will swap the dial on a watch if you prefer another option. That was the situation until last year and I haven`t heard anything to the contrary. I think you have around 1 month to make the change if you wish.

Paul

Welcome and good luck with your investment watch.

Hello, enjoy hope you your time here and as for the watches, you have them so why not enjoy them; even if it is only to warm up the parts and oil by wearing them around indoors.

Apprentice
    If the stickers are removed, how show they be stored? Attached to glass maybe?

Banned
    Hopefully you will see a return on your money. To keep it ticking over why not treat it like the wifes undercrackers, and wear it around the house for a few hours while she's at the shops.

Master

Smile

^^^^ top answer from the captain

In fairness to the OP, with the interest rates on savings accounts at the moment and the ever-upwards-spiral of Rolex prices (they're an aspirational brand dontyerknow) then his idea is probably better than the bank.

(unless the Rolex bubble bursts in the meantime)

1. Remove stickers.
    2. Install watch on wrist.
    3. Enjoy.

If, in the future, you decide to sell the watch you may be lucky and make a few quid. If you don't it doesn't matter, you will have enjoyed the watch. Life's too short.
    F.T.F.A.

enjoy the watch and remember investments can go up as well as down!!!

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    1. Remove stickers.
    3. Enjoy.

If, in the future, you decide to sell the watch you may be lucky and make a few quid. If you don't it doesn't matter, you will have enjoyed the watch. Life's too short.
    It will increase in value regardless if it's worn or not, so like the member says above, enjoy it on your wrist and rotate with the sub.
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

remove stickers...
    over a good number of years the glue will deteriorate, stick to the watch like honey and you risk damaging the finish removing it. The original box should be perfect protection...?

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    welcome to the board and congrats on your purchase. I can completely understand the joy of owning a watch that has become your grail whilst you may not have to wear it to feel "complete" if that makes sense!

I personally wouldn't store it in the original box as this will get tatty with time as you get it in and out of your safe open and close it on a regular basis to look at it! I'd buy a nice aftermarket box to avoid this.

Can't help on advise with stickers/winding etc though

welcome to the forum and good luck with the investment!

Journeyman
    Welcome to the forum. Remove the stickers, you can clean the watch periodically and everything will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    1. Remove stickers.
    3. Enjoy.

Absolutely agree with this!

Welcome to the forum... its about to get much more expensive for you!

However, I may not have the will power to leave it in the safe for long, but at the moment I need to convince SWMBO that it was bought as an investment.
    You're going to fit in just fine on this forum!
    "A man of little significance"