closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Incoming - My First Breguet

Incoming - My First Breguet

I mentioned on the Friday thread that I had a special incoming today, well this just turned up, my first Breguet.

When I posted earlier this week about collecting the Omega book and called it a grail, that was because I had to do alot of digging and chasing to finally get it, to me thats a proper grail. This, I've just had to make a phone call and sit and wait, so not alot of work so I wouldn't call it a proper grail, no matter how much I wanted it.

I first saw a picture of this the night before I went to Basel last year, and luckily, one of the lads that was with us had managed to get an appointment on the Breguet stand so 24 hours later I got to hold one. Just fell in love with it there and then so a quick call and my name was on it. Think its going to cost me a new hangbag or 2 with the wife, but so worth it.

For those of you that dont know, this is the Breguet 5717 Hora Mundi. It has an instant jump time zone display, all of which do so with the touch of a button. Its a world first for a mechanical watch.
    From among the 24 available time zones, the wearer preselects two cities for which he wishes to display local time. Once set, he can instantly change all displays from one city to the other by pressing on the combined crown/pushpiece at 8 o’clock. For example, assume it is 4 p.m. in Paris on the 25th of the month. Rotating the combined crown/pushpiece reveals “Paris” in the window at 6 o’clock, then the crown at 3 o’clock is used to set the hands to 4 o’clock and the date to 25, taking care that the day/night indicator shows the sun. For quick display of the local time in Sydney, the crown/pushpiece is rotated to bring up the name of the Australian city in the window at 6 o’clock; the watch then automatically sets itself to Sydney time. Accurate operation during setting is ensured by a stop second system. Since the difference in time is nine hours, the hour hand will move forward by nine hours. At the same time, the date will change to the 26th and the day/night indicator will turn to show the moon. When it is 4 p.m. in Paris, it is 1 a.m. the next day in Sydney. Once the watch has been preset, the instant-jump time zone display system will instantly change all the indications – hour, date and day/night – from Paris time to Sydney time when the wearer presses on the crown/pushpiece.

The Hora Mundi also offers an original date display that makes use of a dragging disc. The disc appears in a window on the dial at 12 o’clock. The window is large enough to show three consecutive dates at once. To avoid any confusion in reading the date, Breguet’s watchmakers have added a tiny retrograde hand, hidden beneath the dial except for the tip, and ending in a small circle that surrounds the date as soon as it appears at the left side of the date window. The hand follows the date through the day until it disappears at the right side of the window. At midnight, the hand jumps back to the left side of the window to indicate the date of the day just beginning.

There are 3 versions. This is the European and African dial, but there is also the Americas and the Asia and Oceania. It also comes in platinum, this is the rose gold version.

The feel of it is something else, just total quality and has a real presense about it. Probably not everyone's cup of tea but I love it, and even if you dont like the look, sure everyone will appreciate the engineering inside it.

Anyway, here's some quick pictures, gives a reasonable idea of what it is about but if you see one in the flesh, it really is amazing.

Malc

Perfection, well done!

And as if by magic, this post backs up what I said in Rob's SOTC thread :)

Truly beautiful watch - nothing more to say.

Congratulations, looks a stunning watch, Have to admit I do have a hankering for a gold watch and yours looks great but get the feeling that out of my ballpark. How thik was the instruction manual as had to read your post a couple of times to understand the mechansim?

Grand Master Scottishtrunkmonkey's Avatar
    I would have to wear that back to front. The dial is a bit of a monstrosity for me. Not a fan of moon displays on dials nor a date window that shows more than one date. Roman numerals blow. Clouds puffing their cheeks should be kept for childrens books.

Looks like a nice strap though
    Respect the past, live the present, protect the future

Craftsman
    was just reading about Breguet with the cylinder watch, i'm positively sure that one has come a long way from the very first Breguet cylinder watch!

How many jewels in that one?

Think its going to cost me a new hangbag or 2 with the wife, but so worth it.
    i'd like to think you have reserved a table at a formal restaurant and dress up nicely to compliment that watch on your wrist, before taking your wife shopping!

enjoy it, looks beautifully crafted.

WOW - that really is a bit of proper high-end horology! The level of detail and intricacy is superb.

You really must do a SOTC, Malc!

Wow, that's a work of art. I'd like to see some macro shots of the dial please.

Congrats!

Best regards,
    Kristopher Fjeldgaard
    www.finetime.dk
    Last edited by Kris77; 15th February 2015 at 23:29.

One beautiful looking watch, wish I could afford one, enjoy your new purchase.

Very nice and not likely to be sitting next to a bloke on the bus wearing the same model.

I presume the 'smudge' between the XII and the I is the discreet unique serial number.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    it looks like it belongs in the 1800s.. i really like that about it.

This particular model is not exactly my cup of tea, but these Breguets are certainly very special. How does it compare with your other ultra high-end watches?

You must have the ultimate collection here on TZ-UK, how about a SOTC?

Shropshire, UK, by the grace of God. dougdarter@aol.com
    Up for a trade??

I'd give my right leg, no both legs for this!!

I'd include my left arm, but I'd need it to wear the watch.

Let me know.

This is a fabulous watch, which goes beyond the usual, too blingy, too fancy, not my style coment. It is what it is, simply an exquisite example of the horologers art. I forgot to mention the engraver, enameller et al.

Love it!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    This particular model is not exactly my cup of tea, but these Breguets are certainly very special. How does it compare with your other ultra high-end watches?

You must have the ultimate collection here on TZ-UK, how about a SOTC?
    It is the 'Hora Mundi', or world time. It sounds better in Latin!!

Absolutely stunning, and please don't reveal the price. It would spoil my fantasy.

Master
    Incredible! Nicely done :)

that is truly exquisite! congrats and hope you enjoy it!

Master
    That's a very impressive piece of watchmaking, especially the ingenious complication; many congratulations.

Thanks for all the comments, it really is a beautiful watch, not stopped staring at it all night. The detailing on it is just amazing.

I'm away for a little bit from mid next week, but will try and do a SOTC when I get back.

All the best

Malc

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm68 View Post

I'm away for a little bit from mid next week, but will try and do a SOTC when I get back.
    Now that will be interesting to see...

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Now that will be interesting to see...
    And will probably leave me wide open to a very big "why?". But they please me, and thats all I'm bothered about.

Malc

Blog Entries
    As regards the Breguet:

Sublime:

sub•lime (s -bl m )
    adj.
    1. Characterized by nobility; majestic.
    a. Of high spiritual, moral, or intellectual worth.
    b. Not to be excelled; supreme.
    3. Inspiring awe; impressive.
    4. Archaic: Raised aloft; set high.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm68 View Post
    And will probably leave me wide open to a very big "why?". But they please me, and thats all I'm bothered about.

Malc
    that's all that matters. there is no point to pleasing anyone else. the average joe in the street probably wouldn't know a PP from an Orient.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    That's utterly beautiful. Congratulations. Wear it in great health.

Master
    Good lord, that is stunning! Seriously Malcolm, kudos to you! The level of detail is amazing and the movement is second to none.

Enjoy it!

Bloody hell, Malc, that's a bit different

Craftsman
    That is a god of watches. Really beautiful, the kind watch I would be scared to ask the price of in a dealer. You are a truly lucky man.

Incoming - My First Breguet

Aesthetically I love that Breguet, but looking at the specs it seems a little big to my taste, so I can't wait to see the SOTCS post to see it alongside some (presumably) more familiar beasts..

Master
    Looks great, with a modern twist.

Now tha is propa kettle innit Congrats
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Congratulations Malc, a fine addition to your collection and some movement
    Gray

Anything Breguet is pretty special, but that is stunning - thanks for the pics!

Master
    Whether or not people like it is irrelevant, but one does have to respect it. It is utterly wonderful. I am new on this forum, and I can't wait to see the full collection.

Very impressed and beautiful watch!
    You are happy guy!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    Absolutely stunning, and please don't reveal the price. It would spoil my fantasy.
    lol! i did have a look at the price.... you could buy a parking space in St.Ives for the price of that watch!

parking space for £55,000

the watch was a slightly cheaper!

Journeyman
    Incredible watch! Very, very beautiful.