closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you buy a ND Sub ceramic

Would you buy a ND Sub ceramic

Hi,

I already have a Sub C and a SubC LV but the itch is starting on a ND C. Tried one on back in April and it was lovely. I think im going mad though as it cant be that different from the Sub date and after a while I can help thinking it would be a mistake. Anyone else thinking of getting one.
    Last edited by awright101; 2nd August 2012 at 22:15. Reason: Add to title

think i read somewhere (wus maybe) that the only carry over parts between the ND & Sub are the hands & that everything else is subtly different.... if thats a good enough reason to drop 5K on one, you work away sunshine :)

Banned
    You would be better off removing the Cyclops from the Sub that you currently have.

Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    Would you buy a ND Sub?
    I did.

Quote Originally Posted by disembodied voice View Post
    Would you consider selling your ND Sub?
    I did.

well...

IF i could get one at a good price and IF it was the outgoing model then yes. I doubt i'll get one at what i'd be willing to pay though... and i do miss having a date.

Master
    Me too. Oh, and I don't miss the date.

I would ONLY buy an ND sub.

Yes

But not if I had your existing collection and wasnt planning to sell.
    Too many very similar watches for me.
    Alex

Do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WatchScout View Post
    I did.

I did.
    Absolute Classic

Sub ND

Quote Originally Posted by Superal View Post
    But not if I had your existing collection and wasnt planning to sell.
    Too many very similar watches for me.
    Alex
    I know your right and I can't sell either of the two I have. The SubC is probably overall the best watch I have and it would be the last to go.

Are the pictures on this thread so far the ND Ceramic? If it's the new model out any time now then absolutely not. If it's the version going off sale then yes, I would.
    "A man of little significance"

Journeyman
    I think the old one made more sense recently as the Sub-C costs a fair bit more, but now I think your better off with the date version than the ND Sub cost wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Are the pictures on this thread so far the ND Ceramic? If it's the new model out any time now then absolutely not. If it's the version going off sale then yes, I would.
    Agreed. The new one is hideous, the old one a classic.

i believe that current uk retail for the sub c is 5700 & the nd is 5000

so that's 700 (or what approx 12% ??) for the date, not sure if that good or bad?

what was the price difference (or percentage) on the out going models?

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    i don't think any picture on this thread is the ceramic...?

borrowed from tinternet

vs

Craftsman
    Isn't the bracelet different between the two models. The Date version having a superior bracelet?

Hi,

I already have a Sub C and a SubC LV but the itch is starting on a ND C. Tried one on back in April and it was lovely. I think im going mad though as it cant be that different from the Sub date and after a while I can help thinking it would be a mistake. Anyone else thinking of getting one.

if you like it then get it. i can only draw this comparison to people buying lots of different panerai's that roughly look the same. I think you're thinking of doing the same with the subc's. personally one subc is enough for me but if you want it then get it.

Well, there's ND Subs and there's ND Subs...

Beautiful shot

I love how the dials of the older models don't look like the opening sequence of star wars ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Well, there's ND Subs and there's ND Subs...
    Too right.

Yes. I'm considering it and I have the ones you mention you have too.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    Too right.

Absolutely, if you buy a newer one, you get better water resistance and lume that works

Quote Originally Posted by Superal View Post
    Absolutely, if you buy a newer one, you get better water resistance and lume that works
    Neither of which I need.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    Agreed. The new one is hideous, the old one a classic.
    Yup, like comparing the sleek, graceful lines of an E-type Jag to the boxy, mishapen, squatness of a Morris Marina.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

No, but it is not my money. If you like it enough to put your money on the table, go ahead. Use cash, it has a wonderful way of clarifying the thought process and helps in identifying what is important.

I'm glad I bought the 14060m when I did instead of holding out for the new one. Not only did I save on the RRP at the time but I also got a much nicer watch!

Master
    This thread has brought out the 'C' detractors in force - which had nothing to do with the OP.

To answer the OP - nothing wrong in your thinking. I have been having similar thoughts. I have 116610LN, 116610LV, as well as some of that lightweight older 'stuff'. I would say there is minimal harm in going for it. Then over time you can decide if you want to keep them all or have a clear out.

Some years back I couldn't decide between Sea Dweller, Sub Date and Sub ND. So I ended up with all three, and a few years on had dumped both Subs.

Putting aside WISiness, the new Subs as a piece of jewellery (which really is all a watch over a tener is these days) are streets ahead of the old ones for quality IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by ASW1 View Post
    This thread has brought out the 'C' detractors in force - which had nothing to do with the OP.

To answer the OP - nothing wrong in your thinking. I have been having similar thoughts. I have 116610LN, 116610LV, as well as some of that lightweight older 'stuff'. I would say there is minimal harm in going for it. Then over time you can decide if you want to keep them all or have a clear out.

Some years back I couldn't decide between Sea Dweller, Sub Date and Sub ND. So I ended up with all three, and a few years on had dumped both Subs.

Putting aside WISiness, the new Subs as a piece of jewellery (which really is all a watch over a tener is these days) are streets ahead of the old ones for quality IMO.
    Absolutely. It seems that people often want to bash Rolex for having improved the build and quality of their line-up in the past few years!

Sub NDC

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    Yup, like comparing the sleek, graceful lines of an E-type Jag to the boxy, mishapen, squatness of a Morris Marina.
    Err no. That would be like comparing an E-type against a new XKR. One has that great classic looks but drives like crap and the other has modern looks but is awesome to drive. Depends what you are after.

personally i wouldnt buy the no date C but would buy a older no date sub.

I ve had a sub C and GMT C and sold them both for older models just cant gel with the new case shape as much as the new models may 'technically' be a better watch they have lost more than they have gained in my eyes

cyclop

at my opnion the cyclop and date belong to and are caractistic for the sub. So no ND for me!

Blog Entries

No

It's a one man freak show.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Tried the new non date sub ceramic on again yesterday at David M Robinson in Manchester.

Still don't like it as much as my original Z serial ND so nomiwouldnt buy the 114060.

Master
    If it was me, I'd be thinking older ND sub and current shape ceramic sub with date. The new ND sub is a lot of money for something without a date if you ask me, although this time next year of course, it'll be classed as a bargain and demand will be higher I bet.

If you want one as an investment, now will be the time to buy with either model.

Master
    No, the Sub ND Ceramic does nothing for me. Much prefer the outgoing model which is much better proportioned.

I'll keep my 14060M thank you.

Master
    The new one is really, really nice...

Brings about some upgrades that were long needed, like the clasp, dial and blue lume :-)...

All in all it feels like a higher quality watch to the 14060M in your hands, and I really like the 14060M.

I think I will buy one used cos can't afford new with these Rolex prices anymore...

Master
    The new Sub ND C looks great but you'll have to ask yourself if you will wear it enough and if ownership of one will be as satisfying considering you already own the Sub C. Maybe bring the sub ND c in and sell the sub c seeing as you have a sub c lv as well?

Craftsman
    I wouldn't buy one but I was impressed by it, which is a first for me with a Rolex. This thread talks about it http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-a-Rolex-phobe

No. I can kind of understand owning the two dated versions, but why would you want another black version without the date? When and why would you where one of the black dials over the other?

Surely you can find another watch you like that gives some variety to the collection?

Banned
    first post if your going for a ND sub then Vintage is the only way to go, the tweaks may give it presence but i prefer the older vintage look.

Rolex ND

Quote Originally Posted by PCP View Post
    No. I can kind of understand owning the two dated versions, but why would you want another black version without the date? When and why would you where one of the black dials over the other?

Surely you can find another watch you like that gives some variety to the collection?
    I know you are right and if I'm honest I had the same thought. Thanks for your comment

I know you are right and if I'm honest I had the same thought. Thanks for your comment

No problem. I'm just waiting for your 'what else can I buy for £5k?' thread to unleash a whole load of bizarre suggestions now!

What else is in the collection out of interest, or is it limited to the two subs currently?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by soesgsxr View Post
    at my opnion the cyclop and date belong to and are caractistic for the sub. So no ND for me!
    I agree with this, and the date is quite handy to have. ;)

ND ceramic

Quote Originally Posted by PCP View Post
    No problem. I'm just waiting for your 'what else can I buy for £5k?' thread to unleash a whole load of bizarre suggestions now!

What else is in the collection out of interest, or is it limited to the two subs currently?
    M serial sea dweller, IWC Spitfire 3717 and a 54001 IWC big pilot. I have been toying with a Portofino 8 day but would probably need to sell the Big Pilot for that which is a quandary. The others are keepers. Spitfire purchased on honeymoon, and the Rolexes are my favourite watches. I have stuck with these two brands as the quality is superb and they are so hard wearing.

M serial sea dweller, IWC Spitfire 3717 and a 54001 IWC big pilot. I have been toying with a Portofino 8 day but would probably need to sell the Big Pilot for that which is a quandary. The others are keepers. Spitfire purchased on honeymoon, and the Rolexes are my favourite watches. I have stuck with these two brands as the quality is superb and they are so hard wearing.
    Nice collection. The Portofino would definately add some variety, but I like BPs so don't think I'd sell it to purchase the other. At least there's still plenty of choice even by concentrating on Rolex and IWC. Happy hunting.

Would you buy a ND Sub ceramic

Errr NO, dont think i would.

Err no. That would be like comparing an E-type against a new XKR. One has that great classic looks but drives like crap and the other has modern looks but is awesome to drive. Depends what you are after.
    I'll agree with you, as I know nothing about cars beyond the aesthetics, which was the point of my comment.

Quote Originally Posted by scarto View Post
    Absolutely. It seems that people often want to bash Rolex for having improved the build and quality of their line-up in the past few years!
    This is disingenuous, nobody has queried the build quality, which has been improved certainly in terms of bracelets and clasps. My issue is with the appearance, the aesthetics and balance, particularly of the maxi-case.
    Last edited by dkpw; 3rd August 2012 at 14:08. Reason: Punctuation
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

The new Sub ND is one of the most beautiful well balanced sports watches out there. I have the SD and the new non-date is on my radar, it is stunning, and could be all the watch you would ever need!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paulrlx View Post
    The new Sub ND is one of the most beautiful well balanced sports watches out there. I have the SD and the new non-date is on my radar, it is stunning, and could be all the watch you would ever need!
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG