closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Heuer Monacos Actually "Worn by Steve"

Heuer Monacos Actually "Worn by Steve"

I have written a couple of postings covering the Heuer Monacos actually "worn by Steve" in the production of the movie, Le Mans, and thought they may be of interest to the Heuer enthusiasts in the community.

Here is a posting covering a Monaco sold for $87,600 in June 2009 -- http://www.onthedash.com/thoughts/he...en-part-three/

And here is a posting covering a Monaco to be sold in a Hollywood memorabilia auction tomorrow, and carrying an estimate of $200,000 to $300,000 -- http://www.onthedash.com/thoughts/he...ueen-part-two/

I hope that readers enjoy these postings.

Jeff

Master
    Cheers for those - very interesting. Can't wait for part 4......

Are there pictures of the one that TAG have? What sort of condition is it in?

Master
    Fascinating articles, thanks for sharing.

No mention of the Siffert that Steve wore in the opening scene?

Have heard rumors that it was Jo Sifferts own personal watch, and if so, having been worn by both these greats, must be worth more than all these Monaco's put together. Do we know what happend to this watch?

Just who is this "property master"? It was always my beleif that Siffert himself was the defacto Heuer dealer around the Grand Prix scene, so maybe its possible that they are/were one and the same person?
    And if not, could it be that Steve obtained more Monaco's direct from his close friend Siffert, rather than some guy employed by the movie studio?

The One in TAG Heuer Museum -- Worn in Filming; Beaten Up

Quote Originally Posted by stevieb View Post
    Cheers for those - very interesting. Can't wait for part 4......

Are there pictures of the one that TAG have? What sort of condition is it in?
    The one worn by McQueen while filming is now in the TAG Heuer Museum; said to have been fairly well beaten up during the filming / racing . . . I have seen it through the glass in the Museum, but have not had the chance to study it closely or take photos.

I will request some photos from the Museum, and we'll see how it looks.

Jeff

Siffert and the Property Master

Quote Originally Posted by Meinessex View Post
    No mention of the Siffert that Steve wore in the opening scene?

Have heard rumors that it was Jo Sifferts own personal watch, and if so, having been worn by both these greats, must be worth more than all these Monaco's put together. Do we know what happend to this watch?

Just who is this "property master"? It was always my beleif that Siffert himself was the defacto Heuer dealer around the Grand Prix scene, so maybe its possible that they are/were one and the same person?
    And if not, could it be that Steve obtained more Monaco's direct from his close friend Siffert, rather than some guy employed by the movie studio?
    I have never heard what happened to Siffert's watches. There are some keen enthusiasts in Germany / Switzerland, so I am sure that they have sought out his descendants, with a view to tracking the watches.

Property manager is Don Nunley, a nice man enjoying his retirement in the Western United States. I have spoken with folks who worked for Heuer in 1970, and they recall shipping the Monacos to the property manager / production company. I have never heard the suggestion that Siffert supplied any of the watches or other timepieces for the filming.

I believe that there were a fair number of Monacos floating around at the filming, with several drivers having them, to this day. It becomes more difficult to determine which were worn by Steve / given by Steve / etc., but I am believing the property master.

Jeff

very interesting post to read :)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Stein View Post
    I have never heard what happened to Siffert's watches. There are some keen enthusiasts in Germany / Switzerland, so I am sure that they have sought out his descendants, with a view to tracking the watches.Property manager is Don Nunley, a nice man enjoying his retirement in the Western United States. I have spoken with folks who worked for Heuer in 1970, and they recall shipping the Monacos to the property manager / production company. I have never heard the suggestion that Siffert supplied any of the watches or other timepieces for the filming. I believe that there were a fair number of Monacos floating around at the filming, with several drivers having them, to this day. It becomes more difficult to determine which were worn by Steve / given by Steve / etc., but I am believing the property master.Jeff
    I think its fairly safe to assume that Siffert at least supplied his own watch for filming of the opening scene. Therefore we cannot assume he did not supply any other watches to any other of the drivers or actors in the movie.I am not suggesting that this "property master" is incorrect in what he says, but these guys are employed to get back all the props issued. Now Steve may have been a big enough star to get away with walking off set with studio property, my guess is he probably did walk off with the watch attached to his wrist.But its also possible that some of these Monaco's were procured by him after the event, and were not the same watches used in the filming of the movie. Afterall, the McQueen Monaco became the iconic watch we know today virtually on release of the movie, they would have made the perfect gift for him to give away to anyone close enough to be deserving.My guess is we will see many more of these surfacing, many of which will have provenances that are hard to prove.
    Last edited by Meinessex; 30th July 2012 at 15:09.

What about the one Jasper has? It has a bracelet and he has a picture of McQueen wearing the watch on the set.
    "A man of little significance"

Jasper Bought His (on Bracelet) from One of the Le Mans drivers

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    What about the one Jasper has? It has a bracelet and he has a picture of McQueen wearing the watch on the set.
    Here is a posting in which Jasper describes the Monaco that he purchased from one of the Le Mans drivers --

http://chronocentric.com/forums/heue...=read;id=31106

I do not know of any claim that this one was "worn by Steve", but I will contact Jasper to seek more details.

Jeff

Jasper sent me a picture of McQueen in race suit, by one of the 917s, wearing a Monaco on a bracelet. Since the other documented Monacos are on straps it suggests he at least wore the Monaco on the bracelet, even if it didn't appear in any of the actual shots where the watch is visible. I asked Michael Keyser if he had pictures of McQueen wearing the watch but he said he didn't. I might try him again though, see if he has pictures with watches visible.

Incidentally I've just seen a couple of pictures of Jochen Rindt at the German GP on 2nd August 1970 wearing what looks like a manual Autavia with white dial and GF.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post

Incidentally I've just seen a couple of pictures of Jochen Rindt at the German GP on 2nd August 1970 wearing what looks like a manual Autavia with white dial and GF.

Do you have a link?

I have one of these white dial manuals, and have often wondered which driver this model is associated with.

Rindt's Autavia

We have seen lots of photos with Jochen Rindt wearing an Autavia . . . usually identified as three-register (Reference 2446) in a second generation screw-back case.

Never Seen a Driver Wearing White-Dialed 1960s Autavia

Do you have a link?

I have one of these white dial manuals, and have often wondered which driver this model is associated with.
    I have never seen a period-correct photo of a driver (or anyone else) wearing a white-dialed 1960s Autavia.

Ok, two topics:

1. McQueen and the Monaco with bracelet now owned by Jasper:

2. Rindt, 2nd August 1970, Hockenheim GP, what looks to me like a 2446 with silver dial and GF bracelet (post now uploaded to On The Dash):

Jeff - I hope you're enjoying your "Villeneuve" Autavia, I'm incredibly jealous, that's my favourite Heuer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Stein View Post
    I have never seen a period-correct photo of a driver (or anyone else) wearing a white-dialed 1960s Autavia.
    Me neither sadly, I always refer to this model as a siffert, even though strictly speaking, its not.

If anyone knows?

The watch in the pictures I uploaded has the 2446 compression case and not the later style one as in your picture

Me neither sadly, I always refer to this model as a siffert, even though strictly speaking, its not.

If anyone knows?

Journeyman
    Great thread Jeff. This makes fantastic reading and gets everyone excited about all of the myths and legends surrounding this subject - well done!!

Apprentice
    Love heuer, love mcqueen!! no better or interesting topic!

- - - Updated - - -

Just an awesome watch!