closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New Ball(s) please!

New Ball(s) please!

This is the result of reading the "Ernest Jones sale of Ball watches" thread. The photos don't do it justice. It looks much better in reality.

Craftsman
    This is amazing! I really love the look of Ball watches.

Like the look of that - what is the diameter?

Quote Originally Posted by liggy View Post
    Like the look of that - what is the diameter?
    Thanks. It's 40mm.

Blog Entries
    Good looking watch indeed.

Reminds me a bit of some of the Seiko SARB models, with those sword hands.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    Good looking watch indeed.

Reminds me a bit of some of the Seiko SARB models, with those sword hands.

Daddel.
    Exactly! It's a coincidence that I should get two brand new watches within a couple of days and both dressy, with sword hands. The Ball wears appreciably bigger on the wrist than the SARB though.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_O View Post
    Thanks. It's 40mm.
    Cheers Ian.

Blog Entries
    Exactly! It's a coincidence that I should get two brand new watches within a couple of days and both dressy, with sword hands. The Ball wears appreciably bigger on the wrist than the SARB though.

Ian
    You gotto love sword hands.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    You gotto love sword hands.

Daddel.
    Unless you're picking your nose.
    *snigger*

I'll post two later tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by StuartGR View Post
    Unless you're picking your nose.
    *snigger*
    There's always someone who lowers the tone isn't there!

Master
    I am still waiting to get my hand on mine (No pun please)! It is stuck in EJ system somewhere and their customer service has been rub---h.
    I am envious.

Quote Originally Posted by tim2012 View Post
    I am still waiting to get my hand on mine (No pun please)! It is stuck in EJ system somewhere and their customer service has been rub---h.
    I am envious.
    You'll enjoy it when you finally get it!

Master
    Agreed! I got one too, initially thinking if I don't like it I can return it. But at the price I had to give it a go.

Well, since it's arrived it's been on the wrist pretty much the whole time. And I never thought that'd happen at all! My beloved Sub's been sitting around wondering what the hell's happened. I must admit my feelings towards it constantly change however. In some lights the hands disappear against the dial which I don't care for. But in natural daylight they reflect very well and stand out. Indoors the dial's a champagne gold and outdoors a brighter silver with more apparent radial marking. I've even had it under the loupe and would say it's a better quality finish than some much more expensive watches I've tried in the past, more specifically the Longines Legend Diver which didn't really bear close inspection to the hands for example.

I've swapped out the original strap which seems very good quality, especially the interesting buckle, but it needs breaking in somehow as it's soooo stiff. Mine's on a decent sharkskin with slightly offwhite stitching which really suits.

I think the only disappointments for me are that the crown doesn't screwdown (which is no biggie, I won't be swimming in it!) and the movement doesn't have a great deal of finishing. I'd actually prefer a solid caseback because of this. The watch wears pretty large for a 40mm, something which put me off the Zenith Ultra Thin when I tried it, due to it being all dial and very slim bezel.

But all in all, a great buy at the EJ discounted price with additional 10% off bringing it down to £522 delivered. And to think Jura is selling the same watch for £1265!

Ant

Some hasty Iphone snaps...the first one is in indoor light, the others in natural daylight to show the colour change.

Personally i think the Legend would look better on the bracelet, i also cannot get on with the champagne dial. The face is too big for me and i feel the watch lacks charm, i also concur about the movement it is pretty bland unlike the one of the Cleveland Express.

Quote Originally Posted by frp422 View Post
    Agreed! I got one too, initially thinking if I don't like it I can return it. But at the price I had to give it a go.

Well, since it's arrived it's been on the wrist pretty much the whole time. And I never thought that'd happen at all! My beloved Sub's been sitting around wondering what the hell's happened. I must admit my feelings towards it constantly change however. In some lights the hands disappear against the dial which I don't care for. But in natural daylight they reflect very well and stand out. Indoors the dial's a champagne gold and outdoors a brighter silver with more apparent radial marking. I've even had it under the loupe and would say it's a better quality finish than some much more expensive watches I've tried in the past, more specifically the Longines Legend Diver which didn't really bear close inspection to the hands for example.

I've swapped out the original strap which seems very good quality, especially the interesting buckle, but it needs breaking in somehow as it's soooo stiff. Mine's on a decent sharkskin with slightly offwhite stitching which really suits.

I think the only disappointments for me are that the crown doesn't screwdown (which is no biggie, I won't be swimming in it!) and the movement doesn't have a great deal of finishing. I'd actually prefer a solid caseback because of this. The watch wears pretty large for a 40mm, something which put me off the Zenith Ultra Thin when I tried it, due to it being all dial and very slim bezel.

But all in all, a great buy at the EJ discounted price with additional 10% off bringing it down to £522 delivered. And to think Jura is selling the same watch for £1265!

Ant
    Really interesting to read your thoughts on the watch. I don't know if you saw my initial comments (in the original thread) but I've copied them below. I think we're pretty much on the same wavelength! Incidentally, I contacted Ernest Jones about the screw-down crown and got an email from the importer today to say they're going to modify the website. In case you're interested, I also asked about the price of a metal bracelet and was quoted £270.

Ian

Comments from previous thread -
    -------------------------------

I picked my Trainmaster Legend up this afternoon. First impressions? Extremely well finished. Dial and hands look great even under a loupe. Sapphire caseback is attractive and very well laser etched and engraved. Dial is a very nice silvery champagne colour (not the pure silver shown on the Ball website). The crystal has the very slight blue tint in the reflections which you get from some coatings, and that's something I rather like. The croco strap is very stiff to start with. It's clearly going to take some breaking in before it's comfortable. Disappointments? The crown feels a bit smaller than I'd expected, and the book appears to be missing from the box (I'll contact EJ about that tomorrow). Otherwise it's great.

There is one oddity though, and hopefully 'denis2512' can comment. When I first picked it up in EJ I thought it was meant to have a screw-down crown, but clearly it doesn't. Having checked when I got home, the website claims it should have a screw-down crown. Not a deal breaker for me, especially for a 30M rated dress watch, but I'm always a bit disappointed if the product doesn't match the manufacturer's description exactly.

Overall then, I'm pleased with the new addition to the collection, and for the £435 it cost me I think it's a bargain.

-------

Update after wearing it all evening -
    The hands really catch the light nicely and are a very elegant shape.
    The dial is slightly domed, meaning the light creates curved patterns depending on the angle of one's wrist.
    The date window spoils the look. The white background stands out against the lovely champagne silver of the dial, and who on earth decided to put it at what looks to me like 4:35 (it's not quite 4:30)?!
    The strap is still uncomfortable, but it's very early days yet. I did notice that it's very tight between the lugs, to the extent that it even creaks a bit when moved. It's like the strap is 20mm and the lug width 19.8.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by studly View Post
    Personally i think the Legend would look better on the bracelet, i also cannot get on with the champagne dial. The face is too big for me and i feel the watch lacks charm, i also concur about the movement it is pretty bland unlike the one of the Cleveland Express.
    On the bracelet I reckon it'd wear larger. All the watches I've owned seem to appear smaller when on a strap. The face seems large when viewed from above on the wrist, but in reflection in a mirror it doesn't and I guess the size works out ok because of the relatively short lugs. There are quite a few dress watches at 40mm nowadays so it's not unusual. The more I look at the watch the more I appreciate, eg the dauphine hands. The movement is bland but then I don't have to look at it!

Really interesting to read your thoughts on the watch. I don't know if you saw my initial comments (in the original thread) but I've copied them below. I think we're pretty much on the same wavelength! Incidentally, I contacted Ernest Jones about the screw-down crown and got an email from the importer today to say they're going to modify the website. In case you're interested, I also asked about the price of a metal bracelet and was quoted £270.

Ian

Comments from previous thread -
    -------------------------------

I picked my Trainmaster Legend up this afternoon. First impressions? Extremely well finished. Dial and hands look great even under a loupe. Sapphire caseback is attractive and very well laser etched and engraved. Dial is a very nice silvery champagne colour (not the pure silver shown on the Ball website). The crystal has the very slight blue tint in the reflections which you get from some coatings, and that's something I rather like. The croco strap is very stiff to start with. It's clearly going to take some breaking in before it's comfortable. Disappointments? The crown feels a bit smaller than I'd expected, and the book appears to be missing from the box (I'll contact EJ about that tomorrow). Otherwise it's great.

There is one oddity though, and hopefully 'denis2512' can comment. When I first picked it up in EJ I thought it was meant to have a screw-down crown, but clearly it doesn't. Having checked when I got home, the website claims it should have a screw-down crown. Not a deal breaker for me, especially for a 30M rated dress watch, but I'm always a bit disappointed if the product doesn't match the manufacturer's description exactly.

Overall then, I'm pleased with the new addition to the collection, and for the £435 it cost me I think it's a bargain.

-------

Update after wearing it all evening -
    The hands really catch the light nicely and are a very elegant shape.
    The dial is slightly domed, meaning the light creates curved patterns depending on the angle of one's wrist.
    The date window spoils the look. The white background stands out against the lovely champagne silver of the dial, and who on earth decided to put it at what looks to me like 4:35 (it's not quite 4:30)?!
    The strap is still uncomfortable, but it's very early days yet. I did notice that it's very tight between the lugs, to the extent that it even creaks a bit when moved. It's like the strap is 20mm and the lug width 19.8.
    I had read your post, but hadn't realised mine was so similar until reading yours again! I didn't comment on the date placement, but guess the window has to line up with the date dial underneath so perhaps this limits options to where the window can sit. I do like the Cleveland Express but couldn't live with the curious window placement for the day and date respectively. Same goes for the Skindiver, spoilt it for me.

Ant

Grand Master
    Better than most they offer IMO.

Although given the material (including a question about Ball diameter) I wasn't expecting a nose-picking joke. Pleasantly surprised.

Journeyman
    That's a beautiful piece. Never heard of Ball before. Well, guess that's another thing to look into then and luster for...

Master
    Yes, and I'm afraid it's always me.

SGR

Quote Originally Posted by StuartGR View Post
    Yes, and I'm afraid it's always me.

SGR

I just snapped these quickly under bad lighting conditions so they are pretty crap but they can give you an idea of size etc, the Nightrain DLC is 45mm and the Legend is 40mm.

I'll take some better ones tomorrow in daylight.

Click them to enlarge.

A couple of things i have noticed, the DLC coating on the Nighttrain is the best i have ever seen on a watch. You also have to commend the engineering of getting the tritium tubes inserted into the dial on the Nighttrain, they are not stuck to the dial but actually inserted into it. Very well made watches.

Sorry but the date at 4 (in the "wrong place") and the over-elaborate second hand counter balance make it a "no" for me. Change those and it would be a yes.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

I think you got a lot of watch for your money - congrats - but I think EJ and others do this band a disservice by discounting it so aggressively as I don't believe this is the first time they've done that. Full disclosure here, I do own a Fireman, and it's one of the best watches of every worn for day-to-day wear - I love it! - so I guess I'm a little peeved when they do that.

Still, well done to the OP and good to see a fellow owner enjoying their purchase.

Master
    Looks like I will be missing mine, thanks to EJ!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by tim2012 View Post
    Looks like I will be missing mine, thanks to EJ!
    Oh, you will be getting a refund or replacement? I was looking forward to see what that Ceramic XV was like.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zeroeseight View Post
    Oh, you will be getting a refund or replacement? I was looking forward to see what that Ceramic XV was like.
    What I have not mentioned is that I placed my order just when it became available online and it was shown to be available for a good few days after. To now tell me that none is available and none is being ordered is like a kick in the teeth. Does it mean that none was actually available at all or they are filling orders randomly?

Craftsman
    I've been monitoring their website and saw that it was out of stock. Then some days later it was listed as back in stock. Maybe it's due to returns or maybe they are not accurate with stock levels.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zeroeseight View Post
    I've been monitoring their website and saw that it was out of stock. Then some days later it was listed as back in stock. Maybe it's due to returns or maybe they are not accurate with stock levels.
    The latter, I'd wager. Slap dash.

SGR