closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: "Prisoner of War" watches from Rolex

"Prisoner of War" watches from Rolex

I really wanted to share this story and even though it's not about military watches
    - if you haven't seen it before you will enjoy :twisted: :evil:.

http://www.ukwatches.com/Notes/prisoner.htm

JD
    THIN is the new BLACK

Fascinating read for me..

thanks. I wonder if these watches are commercially marked and if so, then how would one identify the watch as being a POW watch.. by serial #?

Master
    So much for Swiss neutrality :wink:

Master

Interesting story...

I had heard of it before, but did not know all of this.

I've never heard this before, very interesting JD.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by tempus
    So much for Swiss neutrality :wink:
    It's fun watching some current Swiss ?names' squirming about their wartime activities
    while others are quite proud of the same actions ? especially when they are both
    under the same Group.

I think there is a big distinction inside Switzerland between the German, French and Italian
    speaking peoples and the way they do business.

JD
    THIN is the new BLACK

Journeyman
    I think Sweden may have to answer for some "capitalist" actions during WW2?

But, respect to Finland for kicking the Nazi's out when it did. I like the Fins, tough buggers and should be in NATO. :)

Today, it seems to be the French that let democracy down. :evil:

It is a shame we Brits have only a "limited" watch industry these days. :cry:

At least we have one, thanks Eddie and Roy. :wink:

Some times the Swiss p*** me off, greedy buggers.

But, I know "Bugger All" I'm told. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan
    No offence taken (I was not arround those days :wink: ), but out of curiosity; what are you thinking of specifically? The ore export or the ball bearing export?

rgds,
    /joakim+/

Amazing story, an absolute gem. That Wilsdorf was quite a character. I wonder if we will ever see the likes of such a story repeated in our lifetimes.
    Gray

Hello

To be fair they did protect anyone who made it to their border and don't forget one of the first test fired V weapons landed accidentally in Sweden and was secretly handed over to the Allies.

Regards

Ian

Well, I don't know much, but I do know that politically and militarily speaking it is handy to be on an island with large and well equipped armed serivces. I think our international politics would have been very different if we were a small country, with a small army, sharing land borders with aggressive and unpredicatable neighbours.
    Gray

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by IanW
    Hello

To be fair they did protect anyone who made it to their border and don't forget one of the first test fired V weapons landed accidentally in Sweden and was secretly handed over to the Allies.

Regards

Ian
    When the Norwegian King Haakon and his court came to the Swedish border april 9th 1940, when the Germans were invading they were kindly asked to go elsewhere! Stockholm did not want a hot potatoe. Thats why the Norwegian royal court ended up in London. Not many points on any diplomatic or humanitarian scale I know of...

On the other hand Sweden exported iron ore to the Germans in the beginning of the war and ballbearing to the Brittish 1940 and onwards.

Historians (and politicians) in Sweden are debatting if it was good to turn with the tides of war (read: coward) to save the country from getting involved in WWII -or- if it would have been better to have taken a stand on either side to "keep face".

In short: Yes, Sweden did accept refugees during the war, but not hot potatoes. Some refugees were sent back in the beginning. Sweden was a turn-coat and was not drawn into the war.

rgds,
    /joakim+/

BTW. I think were are fairly off topic :wink:

Journeyman
    As I said, I know bugger all. That just about proves it. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hello Joakim

When the Norwegian King Haakon and his court came to the Swedish border april 9th 1940, when the Germans were invading they were kindly asked to go elsewhere! Stockholm did not want a hot potatoe. Thats why the Norwegian royal court ended up in London. Not many points on any diplomatic or humanitarian scale I know of...
    Interesting I didn't know that I always thought he had gone straight to London. A British aircraft carrier protecting the convoy that brought them over was sunk with heavy loss of life - Because they didn't take him Stockholm lost out on a free christmas tree every year which London gets instead as thanks from the Norwegians :)

Historians (and politicians) in Sweden are debatting if it was good to turn with the tides of war (read: coward) to save the country from getting involved in WWII -or- if it would have been better to have taken a stand on either side to "keep face".
    Its a difficult question really and one that had a huge effect on Swedens post war history. If they had gone in on either side then post war Sweden would no doubt have been in NATO.

BTW. I think were are fairly off topic :wink:
    Yes quite right my apologies to Eddie.

Regards

Ian

Craftsman
    IanW or any one else!

If you are interested in further discusing this subject. Mail me:
    stoppenbach@hotmail dot com

/joakim+/