closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Forum Features

New Forum Features

I thought it was worth gathering together a list of the new features we spot in the vBulletin software. So far I've spotted these:

Tags

When you start a thread you can specify up to 5 tags for it. Over time, the forum software produces a tag cloud for the forum.

Member blogs

Members can create their own blogs by going to their profile, clicking on "View Blog Entries" on the left hand side then click on "Create New Post". Blog posts are listed at the bottom of the forum front page.

Calendar

There is a public calendar which anyone can add dates to listed in the main menu at the top of the screen.

Post notification emails

Hi,

after a couple of hours I cannot get used to the new post notification emails. I have set my profile to receive immediate email notifications for subscribed threads (doesn't work for forums anymore, only daily). But somehow the new software seems to send notifications only every ten minutes, and then it will send a seperate email for every new post during the last ten minutes. Am I the only one who thinks that's odd?

I want the old style notification mails back!

Raffe
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Blog Entries

In truth i am dissapointed the new forum is up and running and nobody had bought a watch of of me yet

Had some probs logging on but its now going great,well done "Sir" Edward Platts
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

I note that WYSIWYG is still not (older) smartphone friendly. However the next editor down at least gets the smilies
    Last edited by chrisb; 16th July 2012 at 18:30.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
    I note that WYSIWYG is still not (older) smartphone friendly. However the next editor down at least gets the smilies
    What's the difference between standard editor and WYSIWYG? 100% identical in Chrome 20.0.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    What's the difference between standard editor and WYSIWYG? 100% identical in Chrome 20.0.
    WYSIWYG will not let you actually enter any text in the text box

Craftsman
    I fear change. I don't like this new format. Oh well.

I am old fashioned though.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
    WYSIWYG will not let you actually enter any text in the text box
    You are referring to your smartphone browser? Maybe time to update the browser then?

My question was referring to how the two editors appear in the latest version of Google Chrome on the PC - they look absolutely identical.

Best

Raffe

Banned
    Can a post made by you be deleted?

It can be deleted if you click on the Edit Post option then click on the Delete button, provided no-one has replied to your post.

Banned
    Thanks Phil, but I can't delete a post in SC I placed earlier, nor change the title. No delete option in this case, any ideas?
    Last edited by burnsey66; 16th July 2012 at 19:36.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    Thanks Phil, but I can't delete a post in SC I placed earlier, nor change the title. No delete option in this case, any ideas?

good question....plus can you actually edit the title of a thread once posted? I can see how you edit a post but i can't seem to see how you edit a title?

Craftsman

Question

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    good question....plus can you actually edit the title of a thread once posted? I can see how you edit a post but i can't seem to see how you edit a title?
    I'm struggling with this too!

I just deleted a post which I did last week, no problem at all.

Go to the post, click on the "Edit Post" button. It opens your previously written text in your text editor, and you will find a "Delete" button underneath. Click that one, upon which the window expands to reveal another small section, where you have to check the button in front of "Delete Message" (on the left side of the screen). Then you click the "Delete Post" button in the lower right corner, and your post is gone.

Craftsman
    I can't see any of my 'Sent Messages' ?????? Anyone else having this problem?

Banned
    I just deleted a post which I did last week, no problem at all.

Go to the post, click on the "Edit Post" button. It opens your previously written text in your text editor, and you will find a "Delete" button underneath. Click that one, upon which the window expands to reveal another small section, where you have to check the button in front of "Delete Message" (on the left side of the screen). Then you click the "Delete Post" button in the lower right corner, and your post is gone.
    Agree with all this on all but the original post, which doesn't seem to offer the delete option...

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    Agree with all this on all but the original post, which doesn't seem to offer the delete option...
    You are right, seems the software is parametrised to not allow the deletion of whole threads or first posts.

A big plus for me is being able to see the first few lines of a thread by hovering over the link.

Is there a handy 'view your posts' link like the old forum? I could visit that, and see if any threads I'd posted in had been subject to new posts by other members.

The closest I see thus far is My Profile --> My Activity.

But this seems to show your posts without any indicator on whether there have been new posts since your last visit. This is a pretty standard forum feature and so I'm sure I'm missing something....

Quote Originally Posted by cman View Post
    Is there a handy 'view your posts' link like the old forum? I could visit that, and see if any threads I'd posted in had been subject to new posts by other members.

The closest I see thus far is My Profile --> My Activity.

But this seems to show your posts without any indicator on whether there have been new posts since your last visit. This is a pretty standard forum feature and so I'm sure I'm missing something....
    Not sure I fully understand what you are after, maybe the "Subscribed Threads" option under Quick links (top menue)?

Not sure I fully understand what you are after, maybe the "Subscribed Threads" option under Quick links (top menue)?
    Hmm that may well be it!

More info on what I meant, sorry I was not clear enough...

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=229027

https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...n-to-Vbulletin

Seems there are some cheeky goings on over on the calendar.....!

Will the ability to edit titles and list more than 8 pics be reviewed?
    I am sure we will get used to it;-)

Can I have tapatalk back pleeeeeeeease?

Quote Originally Posted by paulyg View Post
    I can't see any of my 'Sent Messages' ?????? Anyone else having this problem?
    Yes I can't see sent PMs, also there doesn't see to be an outbox anymore.
    That was handy as you could see that you had sent something and also when the recipient had received it.
    Other features look nice though.

Quote Originally Posted by cman View Post
    Hmm that may well be it!

More info on what I meant, sorry I was not clear enough...

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=229027

https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...n-to-Vbulletin
    You can easily find your own (or anyone else's) posts / threads by clicking on the name or avatar, which brings you to the member's profile. There you find the following menu:

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    To edit the title you need to go into advanced edit.

Search function now works really well

I was a Brigadier before, and now I'm just a Craftsman. Doesn't seem as good somehow

How many posts do you need to get to the next level?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrubnut View Post
    I was a Brigadier before, and now I'm just a Craftsman. Doesn't seem as good somehow

I suspect (for which read take a wild stab in the dark) that this,plus bits like the somewhat dubious smileys,are tweaks that Eddie hasn't got round to doing yet.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    To edit the title you need to go into advanced edit.
    Ah ha!...muchos gracias

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    Can I have tapatalk back pleeeeeeeease?
    If, and only if, it doesn't let people circumvent the rules as per before!

The demand for Brigadiers seems to be dwindling. Craftsman, however, seem to be a highly sought after group.

Quote Originally Posted by notnowkato View Post
    The demand for Brigadiers seems to be dwindling. Craftsman, however, seem to be a highly sought after group.

Very witty

Blog Entries
    Hi,

after a couple of hours I cannot get used to the new post notification emails. I have set my profile to receive immediate email notifications for subscribed threads (doesn't work for forums anymore, only daily). But somehow the new software seems to send notifications only every ten minutes, and then it will send a seperate email for every new post during the last ten minutes. Am I the only one who thinks that's odd?

I want the old style notification mails back!

Raffe
    Yup, this seems to be how vBulletin does it. It's not as nice as phpBB in this respect, imo.

Overall, however, vBulletin is a much more rounded and capable product than phpBB.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Yup, this seems to be how vBulletin does it. It's not as nice as phpBB in this respect, imo.

Overall, however, vBulletin is a much more rounded and capable product than phpBB.
    I think its infinitely better, because you can now read the content of the post and then decide whether to log on to the actual thread or not. How can that not be a great feature?

I think its infinitely better, because you can now read the content of the post and then decide whether to log on to the actual thread or not. How can that not be a great feature?
    I have now completely unsubscribed from the mails and use the Subscribed Threads page instead. Works great for me, I have also bookmarked it and its the starting point every time I open TZ-UK.

Blog Entries
    We're referring to different issues and features.

Including the body of the new post in the alert email is, as you say, a good thing. It's very handy.

But the changes in when and why alert emails are sent is annoying compared to phpBB:
    1) Alert emails are batched more than was the case with phpBB.
    2) vBeulletin sends alert emails in what I can only describe as an unpredictable manner. phpBB sends an alert once when a new message is posted in a subscribed thread and then sends no more message for that thread until it is read by the user. vBulletin on the other hand seems to send multiple messages for new messages in a thread and then stops after a bit. I wish it would do one or the other: Once for the first unread message in a thread OR for every new message in an unread thread. Ideally this behaviour would be configurable on a per-user basis: E.g. once only, or every message, or first X new messages in an unread thread.
    3) Subscribing to a forum does not now produce a message for new posts to the forum at the time of the new post; instead it batches everything into a summary sent once a day.

Clearly the way that vBulletin does it may suit some people more than the way phpBB does it, but vice versa applies too. Ideally these behaviours would be configurable on a per-user basis.

Blog Entries
    I have now completely unsubscribed from the mails and use the Subscribed Threads page instead. Works great for me, I have also bookmarked it and its the starting point every time I open TZ-UK.
    Good idea.

Personally I prefer the email alerts. I'd really like it if one could reply by email too.

A couple of years ago I was developing some forum software and email/web integrated threading was one of its design features. Sadly the product did not come to fruition.

In the old forum I could link to a web page but use my own text in the link. I'm finding it an impossible task now.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Good idea.

Personally I prefer the email alerts. I'd really like it if one could reply by email too.

A couple of years ago I was developing some forum software and email/web integrated threading was one of its design features. Sadly the product did not come to fruition.
    If one sees what is possible on the web today (Facebook, Gmail), it surely can't be long until forum software takes a huge leap. Google Waves was something between email and forum, a pity they scrapped it.

Quote Originally Posted by vRSG60 View Post
    In the old forum I could link to a web page but use my own text in the link. I'm finding it an impossible task now.
    You still can. Mark the text which you want to change into a link, then press the "Link" button on your WYSIWYG editor (two symbols to the left of the "Picture" button). Then insert your link and you are done.

It's easy to do that. All you have to do is the following (minus the spaces):

[ url = http://www.timefactors.com ]Time Factors [ /url ]

That's the same as the old site.

When you create or reply to a post, click on the highlighted button to post in source mode.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    It's easy to do that. All you have to do is the following (minus the spaces):

[ url = http://www.timefactors.com ]Time Factors [ /url ]

That's the same as the old site.
    I think the difference is that you need "quotes" around the URL contents now. That was not needed before.

E.g.

OLD: [ url=http://www.signal100.com]a website that needs updating[/url]

NEW: [ url="http://www.signal100.com"]a website that still needs updating[/url]

**edit**
    Oops, I just tested and found that it works both with and without the quotes.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 23rd July 2012 at 10:05. Reason: Corrected error

Blog Entries
    If one sees what is possible on the web today (Facebook, Gmail), it surely can't be long until forum software takes a huge leap. Google Waves was something between email and forum, a pity they scrapped it.
    Yup, Google Wave had some nice ideas but was not as innovative as many people believed. Everything in it had been done before (says a some time communications and collaboration tools developer).

The big difficulty with online communication and collaboration tools development is how to monetise it. It's very, very difficult to do so successfully in today's Internet, especially if you're starting small.

Is there a way to exclude hidden vbcom forum from "New posts" and "today's posts"?

Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post
    Is there a way to exclude hidden vbcom forum from "New posts" and "today's posts"?
    You have to do that manually and pretend it's not there.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

"view your posts" ?

I quite liked the "view your posts" feature as sometimes notifications get missed or I think of something to add, is there anyway to still do that?

In case someone needs it, if you do an advanced search by username and leave the search filed blank you get a "view threads started".

Quote Originally Posted by webvan View Post
    I quite liked the "view your posts" feature as sometimes notifications get missed or I think of something to add, is there anyway to still do that?

In case someone needs it, if you do an advanced search by username and leave the search filed blank you get a "view threads started".
    Your posts

Your threads

Your subscribed threads

Thanks, that's very helpful, although, and I realize I'm being picky, I still think I preferred the old "view your posts" that only showed one thread regardless of the number of times you'd posted there.

Oh, I just realized that one no longer gets notified by default of PMs but that can be fixed easily here http://forum.tz-uk.com/profile.php?do=editoptions