closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New rolex explorer 2 review

Master

New rolex explorer 2 review

Here is my poor attempt at a short review of the new rolex explorer 2 (216570) and some comparison with the newest version of Rolexes submariner, the sub-c. Excuse the pics and the prose :o

Beside the sub-c

On its own

I immediately like the look of the explorer 2 when it was released at Basel, I also was looking for a non black dialled rolex to add to my small collection and this seemed to tick a lot of boxes. So after a lot of thought and pondering my beautiful IWC 3227 and Breitling Navitimer were both sold to fund the purchase.

I bought my watch unworn, but with a nice discount on RRP (circa 15%) from a Dutch dealer (http://www.juwelierburger.com/NL/index.asp) I would highly recommend them.

The first thing to note, this is a large watch in the context of rolex. Aside from the DSSD this is the biggest watch they sell. Its 42mm in diameter and 12mm thick. However compared to the IWC Ingy and some panerai I have owned it isn’t massive.

The dial:
    There are 2 reasons I chose the white dial, one I already have a black sub so a change is nice and two, I dislike matte dials. The white dial is a pure white, not the off white most white dialled watches are and it really ‘pops’. It also contrasts beautifully with the orange text and GMT hand. The dial is a maxi dial and as such has larger markers with plenty of lume which glows a lovely blue colour. Unusually, the rolex crown and the marker surrounds are black which takes a little getting used to, but IMO works well.

Close up of the dial

The case:
    The case is beautifully proportioned to my eyes, and a required upgrade on the original 39mm exp 2. The tops of the lugs are brushed and the sides of the case are polished to a mirror finish. The bezel is brushed and the case is fitted with a 7mm double lock crown (not the more substantial triplock crown of the sub-c but again bigger than the old exp 2)

Sub-c left Exp2 right

Crown sides Sub-c left Exp 2 right

Crown side of exp2 case

The bracelet:
    The bracelet is 21mm at the lugs tapering to 18mm at the clasp. It has screwed links and is fitted with the upgraded clasp from the GMT2-C (not the glide lock clasp from the sub c). The difference is in how micro adjustment is handled, this clasp is smaller and includes and easy link whereas the sub clasp offers much more micro adjustment. The clasp isn’t as good as the sub clasp, nor is it as substantial, giving the bracelelt a lighter feel to the submariner bracelet. I would have preferred the new sub clasp, altho this clasp is a vast upgrade on older rolex clasps.

Exp 2 Clasp

Sub-C clasp glidelock clasp (see the size difference)

Overall impressions:
    I really like this watch, the purists don’t like the larger case size or the black accents on the dial, but for me it’s a modern twist on a classic rolex, its also a little less ubiquitous than the submariner so despite it loud looks it flys under the radar a little. One thing id change is the clasp to the submariner clasp but that aside im happy with my purchase.

Master
    Last couple of snaps

A wristy and an arty one

Very nice review. I´ve been a big fan of Explorer II.
    Are black indexes from gold? As it is usuall with Rolex.

Master
    not sure to be honest?

Craftsman
    Looks fantastic - nicest Rolex I have seen (can you tell I am not a big fan :-))

But seriously - a really nice looking piece

Cheers

Thanks mate, nice review. The 42mm Explorer II doesn't seem to have too many friends around here, as witnessed in some recent public bashings. Nevertheless, its one of two Rolex I would currently consider (besides the similarily unpopular Submariner 116613LB). Enjoy your watch, I like it!

Raffe
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Agreed, such a beautiful watch and well done on the photography!

Good review. Nice pics. Never taken too much notice of Explorer before..nice watch!

Nice review and nice to finally see a Rolex with decent dimensions. Now if they could just loose the cyclops ;)

Nice review love the white dial.

How about posting some pics with your explorer on a NATO strap. Think I would look great on a orange coloured one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sts1976 View Post
    Nice review love the white dial.

How about posting some pics with your explorer on a NATO strap. Think I would look great on a orange coloured one.
    not my thing sorry

Love the White Dial

Master
    It's a cracking model but I do prefer the black.

An excellent review and a beautiful piece, thanks for taking the time and effort

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    not sure to be honest?
    Nor me.....

Craftsman
    love them already! nice ones

Great review and lovely watch(es)

Nice

I like these, surprised by the comparison shots with the sub though, quite big isnt it.
    Love the orange hand against the White

Master
    White dial is on my wish list to go alongside my Sub ND, looks lovely, enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    not my thing sorry
    Come on every one loves to wear abit of nylon. ;)
    Last edited by sts1976; 11th August 2012 at 15:43.

Super review, I have the black diaper version.

Peter

Little surprised that the watch is bigger then the sub c. Love the looks of the new explorer, have no issues with the new case from an aesthetically viewpoint, but from a personal / practical viewpoint cannot quite get on with the new maxi case.

Apprentice
    Wider bracelet looks soo much better on the proportions point of view, compared with sub and gmt!! Definitely where my money would go!!

A passing fancy sometime back. Found it a fair bit heavier than the previous exp2 and quite abit more expensive.

Nice pics!

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Nice review and nice to finally see a Rolex with decent dimensions. Now if they could just loose the cyclops ;)

Exactly what he said...

Craftsman
    Nice review. Thanks!

Master
    I am wearing my black dial today.

I am not wealthy, and I am ashamed to admit that having saved up for quite some time to get it, I bought mine new in November last year from a UK AD, then wore it three or four times, and put it away until last week! Well last weekend, I was at a friend's BBQ, and her brother was wearing a white dialled one. It spurred me on to get mine out, and it's been on my wrist since.

My brief review?

Size - It's not cumbersome like some people think. On my circa 7.5" wrist, it's perfectly in proportion (and I am not really one for oversized watches).

Fit and finish- Given its size, it's quite subtle. The bracelet is well made (as you'd hope...), the taper is good and the adjustability is OK. I really like the flat black dial and bluey lume (although I'd have considered a contrasting lume for the GMT hand if I was being picky). The engraved rehaut is more subtle than others IMHO (and that's a good thing). Hands and markers are perfectly in proportion. I love the orange GMT hand and matching Explorer writing.

Function - Well, it keeps great time on my wrist so that's a good start... I can't be arsed with the GMT function (heathen) but I guess it will be useful to those who need a second timezone.

Reaction - People's reactions are interesting - I don't often have people comment on my watches, but this one's got a couple of trendy people asking me about it this week.

Overall- I think Rolex have done the right thing by creating the modern Rolex. The traditional versions have their place, and I'd be tempted to reintroduce the smaller sized Sub (minus ceramic etc) for instance as an option, but this one gets non watch people talking about watches which has to be a good thing for the brand...

Quote Originally Posted by Tahiti View Post

I am not wealthy, and I am ashamed to admit that having saved up for quite some time to get it, I bought mine new in November last year from a UK AD, then wore it three or four times, and put it away until last week! Well last weekend, I was at a friend's BBQ, and her brother was wearing a white dialled one. It spurred me on to get mine out, and it's been on my wrist since.
    I don't think you need to be ashamed about that. I suspect that most of us are in the same boat. I'd love one of these but can't afford one at the moment. It does make a lovely contrast to the Sub. I love the white and the accented colours.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahiti View Post

No shame there fella, i think plenty on the forums have a 'safe queen' that gets that bit of extra care. Unfortunately i have had to shift my most expensive watches due to an impending baby arrival but once i have saved up some funds the black face version is top of my list. I think its a classic.

Journeyman
    great view and stunning watches

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by therooster View Post
    Unfortunately i have had to shift my most expensive watches due to an impending baby arrival but once i have saved up some funds the black face version is top of my list. I think its a classic.
    Ah - babies. Got to love them. Strangely, I managed to get mine precisely because we were expecting our second child at the time.

I have to agree on the classic comment. The more I wear it, the more I appreciate it. It's not often that I wear a watch for more than one or two days at a time, but it's been on daily since last Sunday except Saturday when I had my Seiko "Sardine" on.

Great reviews I like the look if the Expo II but will stick with my older model

Master

Cool

A Rolex I like ! Its not too big at all, its the older models that are too small with far too skinny hands, the hands and dial on this are spot on, great looking watch.

Journeyman
    Good review. Good and clear pictures. Still looking for my first Rolex and can't make my mind up.

yes

they are White gold with a black lacquer applied over the top... so if you choose the white dial you don't lose out on the 'gold content' of the watch.

Craftsman
    Excellent review, lovely watches!

40mm for me. Hands are too fat on the 42mm

Journeyman
    Good read, nice photography

Journeyman
    I have just been offered a new expII, so tempting

Master
    Personally your review has been very informative to my knowledge of watches, thank you.