closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Not getting stung on ebay

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Not getting stung on ebay

Hi

I'm looking at buying a new piece on eBay but the seller and I have come to a discounted deal if purchased directly. The seller is a private seller and not a dealer.

If I pay by PayPal will I still be covered in any way if the watch never materialises? Does anyone have any experience of deals like this going badly and then PayPal refunding the amount if the watch never turns up?

He's given me the serial number and the jewler purchased from (large London based store) so I can check for authenticity and that it was purchased when he says)

Any thoughts / input would be helpful although I guess there will be a lot of people saying don't do it! I'm only looking to pursue this as it works out at a good price

Cheers

Olly

I've done this many times and never had a problem. It's probably going to happen a lot more often now since eBay put their charges up (10%, max £75 up from £40).

The golden rule here is to buy the seller. Check his feedback, get extra pictures etc. most people are honest and will happily do almost anything you ask in order to prove they're genuine. If he's not prepared to do something reasonable then it's best to walk away.

Dave

Re: Not getting stung on ebay

+1. Ebay is killing its own business model by overcharging.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Thanks for your help & advice

He has been an ebay member for 6 years but has only been a buyer and has a feedback score of sub-100

I will get his number and chat to him before I do anything and see if the watch checks out with the dealer

If any doubts stick, don't do it. My 2c.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

So the seller won't give me his phone number and says he is out of the CPU th and that his secretary will post te watch in his absence.....stinks to me!

Have removedy interest as too risky

Thanks for the tips guys!

Quote Originally Posted by WingTsun
    I have a couple of things I tend to do and that even includes sales here on SC:

1. Check feedback carefully. There is feedback and feedback. 20 items sold for a pound each won't give you any idea how the guy will deal with a transaction worth several hundred or more and many sellers (and those who hijack dormant accounts) will use this method to get fresh feedback.
    2. Get the seller's phone number and have a quick chat. You'll learn far more far more quickly by hearing the person than you will by sending emails and if he's legit he'll have no problem supplying a phone number.
    3. If you pay by Paypal double your security by using your credit card. That way if Paypal don't help you can get the CC company to fight on your behalf instead.

Use due diligence and you'll be OK. The only time I ever got taken for a ride on eBay was right in the beginning when it first started and we weren't as savvy with the system as we can be now as we simply didn't have the experience to go by. If you get burnt nowadays chances are you got overconfident and were slack with your check-ups and that goes the same for SC here with members you don't know.
    I have even asked people to send me a scan of their passport. If I am supposed to pay upfront I want to know who my counterpart is. Also, google their name, check LinkedIn profile. Someone with a decent job is less likely going to screw you than someone who has recently gotten the sack. I also ask for a landline phone number, mobile is no good because of all the disposable phone cards around.

When researching an Ebay seller, I also check their recent auctions for shill bidding. Important to not only check the ones which you find in their feedback, but also use the completed auctions search. Shill bidders usually don't leave feedback for each other, so you won't find it there. Real pity that Ebay has recently shortened the storage period of completed auctions to 15 days (it was 60 days a couple of years ago). I also google their Ebay names, many users use the same names on internet fora, I have detected some lies that way; e.g. someone telling me via Ebay that he had owned a certain watch for years, when he had only six weeks earlier showed it off in a forum as a new arrival (using the same user name). The internet is very deep! :)
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

The phone call is the best quick way to separate the wheat from the chaff.

I recently bought a Breitling from the bay and took the risk of buying from a zero feedback newbie. The watch checked out ok when I contacted Breitling service, right serial number, right dealer, even told me some prior history which the seller had not divulged.

Ended up winning the lot and paid by credit card via Paypal. Six hours later and no movement from seller, payment unclaimed and a bizarre email address. I cancelled payment and emailed seller via eBay of my actions. Within 20 mins seller sent message apologising for tardiness on his behalf and asked if we could complete sale. All went well from there, watch arrived and I even got a phone call from the seller following up.

I am usually reluctant to spend large sums with newbies, but in this case I realised everyone starts off at zero feedback and the sale went well despite the initial problem.

Now happy owner of 5 year old Headwind, already on it's way for a complete overhaul.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by PWatch
    So the seller won't give me his phone number and says he is out of the CPU th and that his secretary will post te watch in his absence.....stinks to me!

Have removedy interest as too risky

Thanks for the tips guys!
    Sounds like the usual scammer drivel, lucky escape I think. I have only ever dealt off eBay if doing a face to face as a buyer and seller resulting in very pleasant transactions (and great satisfaction splitting the saved fees!)

I trust PayPal 100%. Paid for a Daytona which never materialised. Seller had good feedback, but sold the same watch 3 times (and I guess he didn't have 1). PayPal refunded 100% of money (although I was a bit worried to say the least) after 28 days.

If you paypal as a gift (for the seller to save on paypal fees) then am sure you are definitely not covered. Ebay and paypal are one and the same and whilst you are fully covered for ebay purchases, outside ebay it's a grey area.

Journeyman
    I got bitten last year, bid on an old Zenith Defy, didn't get the watch, seller emailed me to say he'd accept a price not far off what I'd bid. Paid by Paypal gift, watch turned up in far worse state than the pictures had shown. Tried to get my money back, but seller wouldn't budge, so put it down to experience.
    Still got his address though, and if I'm ever in the west country.....

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jbravo View Post
    The phone call is the best quick way to separate the wheat from the chaff.
    I think you've hit the nail on the head, if they wont take a phone clal to sell their watch there must be something suss.....possibly a strong accent from a certain area renowned for internet fraud!

F2f or phone call, f2f worth the hassle if spending a lot...

Recently had a funny one on ebay.... Piad for the watch, heard nothing from the (business) seller..... Got a little alarmed.... Contacted him.... He was waiting for my money.... Noticed in paypal that my payment was unclaimed, mailed him back, he sent me the screen shot from his ebay where i hadnt paid, noticed the email address didnt match up... Got his number gave call him a call.... He was pretty wis :-) sorted out the paypal glitch, wearing the watch now....

Moral of my boring story?

PHONE PHONE PHONE