closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega Constellation

Omega Constellation

Must apologize for my language skills. I wrote this review few months ago on Czech watch forum. Now I have some time to do the translation :)

At first bit of history. Omega brand is well known but do you know how was borned the line Constellation?
    It was in the first half of the previous century, in the times when quartz was a complete sci-fi and watch manufactures were competing to set records in the accuracy. It was the observatory where the competition took place - to be precise few of them: in Neuchatel, Geneve (Swiss) and in Kew (UK). Every year there were names like Patek, Rolex, Vacheron, Omega, etc. (but only Patek and Omega regurarly every year).
    The watch movevements were tortued. Measuring in five position and in three differend temperatures for the time of of few weeks. Somebody can say it is similar to todayīs COSC ... but the accuracy rate was at least ten times strict! At those days the precision was breath-taking.

As a proof that Omega was very good at these competitions is a fact, that in 1932 the timekeeping od Olympic Games was given to it. Based on the fact that set a record in Genevaīs observatory when winning in all five categories (marine, on board, pocket, wrist chronometer). I will not write every rank in every category that Omega won - that would be for whole book as they were about 500 of them. But for the most valuable I consider the result from 1936 (Kew) where cal. 47.7 won and also set the record with 97,8/100pts. (the rate was beaten by Zenith much more later, in year 1965).
    Based on the experience with the precising wrist watches in 1952 there comes Constellation to the light. As the name tells you, the watch combines the accuracy found in observatory tests with hundred years old know-how of the brand, timeless and elegance. Immediately Constellation is the flagship of Omega as a first automatic chronometer which was mass-produced.

For illustration that quality can come with quantity some numbers:
    Between years 1962-1966 Omega kept more than 50 % share of all certificates. In 1966 there was 100.000 certificates in a row - without even single one "lazy" movement. Production outrated Rolex in 1958-1968 and in 1972 they celebrated chronometer with 2.000.000 serial number.

In 70īs Omega sat on the quartz wave. They tried to keep at the top possible accuracy so the line Constellation Megaquartz was born. Caliber 1510 is more than 10 times finer that typical quartz. Two years later in year 1974 Constellation Marine Chronometer set the record for the most accurate watch so ever.In test there was deviaton of 2/1000s for two months!
    The fact that Omega produced 12518 quartz watches but not a single one mechanical in year 1982 is also interesting. We can find the cause in quartz crysis which spread to the world.
    New assembling with mechanical movement started in 1985 when Mr. Nicolas Hayek bought Omega and filled its cases with ETA. Now you can find in Constellation line as quartz movements as in-house calibers - after more than 25 years.

Even design of Constellation went long way. First two generations of cases (14900 and 168.009) was designed by Mr. Gerald Genta. And according to the sales numbers he did quite a good job. For the 30th anniversary Constellation got a new impulse. A young dresser Carol Didisheim drawed the Manhattan case. With thined case, integrated bracelet and recognisable "claws". They serverd as the holding element for the glass and the case. Now after another 30 years it is just a design.

And after this historical discourse, my grail watch.
    Thanks to the integrated bracelet and champagne dial watch looks very balanced. Sometime looks as a bracelet itself. It is also very thin when measures only 9 mm. And very flat also, wearing it it feels very comfortable. The clasp is bit complicated but after you know to do it is easy to work even in the dark.
    The case is inovated "Manhattan". As I wrote the claws donīt keep the glass anymore but still protects it from the scratching. The half moon on the top and the bottom of the case is also new element. The dial is hiddend under the saphire glass with inner AR coating. It may seem bit flat but after a clooser look it is plastict with decent crossed pattern. There are hour markers and date window which is (as the rest of the watch) made from the 18ct gold. Five star on the dial represents accuracy in five different positions. Hands are filled with Super Lumi-Nova and still shines.
    Inside beats cal. 1120 which is nothing else than fines ETA 2896-A2 with COSC. Some watchmakers consider this movement as equivalent as Rolex caliber 3135. I can assure you that it is right. My watch is doing 0,2s per day - as you can see on the vibrograph. We are slowly at the end. The only thing which I didnīt mention is the back. There is a large medaillon of the all Constellation line watches. Itīs eight stars over the observatory symbolise the great achievments from the accuracy competitions.

Hope you dont felt asleep :)

And some photos after all...

Thanks for reading,
    Jakub

Craftsman
    Thanks for sharing Jakub - great review, photos and very interesting about the consellation history

King regards

Master

That is a stunning and elegant dress watch!

Blog Entries
    Great review of a great watch!

Gold watches are not my cup of tea,I prefer steel,but you have made some extra fine photos mate!

Thanks folks. I had some bright moment when I took that pictures
    Truth is also itīs quite uncommon. But two days ago I met an american who was wearing the very first Constellation (pie-pan) full-gold. We had a very nice chat.

Craftsman
    Very nice watch (for a dress) and review

Master
    Very nice, I have just had my stainless version back fresh from the full works, it looks stunning but still a long way short of yours. The gold just really suits the watch, such elegance.

Matt

Grand Master
    A superb dress watch that one,Ive just bought the ss version.
    Last edited by P9CLY; 31st December 2012 at 19:29.

Grand Master
    Anyone else have the SS model?,and have you tried it on a leather?.

The case doesnt fit the leather, or does?
    SS version is great daily wearer. Gold is more for special occasions.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jakubisko View Post
    The case doesnt fit the leather, or does?
    SS version is great daily wearer. Gold is more for special occasions.
    I'd have thought it possible to mod a nice thin leather for it tbh,but maybe not I don't know.
    A beautiful dress watch for sure with a superb movement.

Very classy! Thanks for sharing.

Lovely looking watch, not much of a fan of gold watches in mens but would seriously consider a non gold version after looking at these photos.

Apprentice
    I have a s/s version and bi.met. I wear them all the time. Would love a gold one to complete the collection. Maybe next year..

Craftsman
    very nice review...and a classy timepiece...

but how do you manage wearing a gold watch at work etc?

can't imagine myself going to a meeting at work with a gold watch?

Apprentice
    Thanks for the review. I still like the vintage one better though.