closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ken Block's Gymkhana 5

Ken Block's Gymkhana 5

While it is all rather peurile and the associated flogging of shoes/hats/tshirts rather crass, the latest bit of automotive messing around by Ken Block is really quite impressive - predominantly as it's all on the streets of San Francisco so some entertaining jumps and the like.

http://youtu.be/LuDN2bCIyus

It doesn't really need saying, but that little car of his is really rather rapid (as you might imagine a 650bhp Fiesta would be!)

Master

Re: Ken Block's Gymkhana 5

Very 8) thanks for sharing - that was some seriously impressive precision driving and most have cost a fair bundle to close the roads etc for the filming :wink:

I loved the car but sorry I don't see the point of that..

Going round tarmac corners sideways is slower than doing it properly and what's with all the flicking and distortion of the video, is that supposed to be artistic ?

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

loved that video, a great bit of skill there. Think some may miss the point as its more 'art' and flair than it is racing...otherwise he'd have an F1 car

very entertaining bit of footage

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by london lad
    I loved the car but sorry I don't see the point of that..

Going round tarmac corners sideways is slower than doing it properly
    What is ´properly´???
    Drifting for fun is just as proper as doing it fastest. After all racing for speed has no other sense than driver fun either.

You don´t get it, so what? Still fun and proper for who does. I like doing it either way but in the real world drifting is far more ´realistic´ as you can play at fár lower speeds = far to the power of that less risc.

Each to their own ....

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by london lad
    Each to their own ....
    Why?
    Some like it all :bounce:

Oooooooooo that Kens got some skills !!!!
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

As a brand he seems to be doing pretty well. Guy obviously has some skill

That fella is seriously skilled! some amazing control, no doubt about that. I think a trip in the passenger seat would leave me shaking though - but what a trip!

Pah! He's nothing special. I drive like that everywhere in my Nova SR - and I do it with traffic around me....

OK, he knows how to drive sideways.

he used to own DC shoes, but sold it to quiksilver for some unmentionable amount of money. he also owns monster energy drink as well....

Quote Originally Posted by ghosty
    he also owns monster energy drink as well....
    Whilst Ken Block did found DC Shoes, I can't find any record of his ownership of Monster. Monster is manufactured by Hansen Natural. Their CEO is Rodney Sacks and their CFO and President is Hilton Schlosberg. I found these details:

Quote Originally Posted by CNN
    A quick-witted South African lawyer, Sacks came to the U.S. in 1989. Along with countryman Hilton Schlosberg, now Hansen's president and CFO, Sacks gathered some investors and went looking for a business to buy. Eventually a Los Angeles investment banker told them about a little beverage company called Hansen.

Founded in 1935, the company made juices and natural sodas but was virtually unknown outside California. When Sacks and his group paid $14.6 million for Hansen in 1992, it had sales of just $17 million and a dozen employees. At first Sacks was content to chase whatever beverage trend was in vogue, but he knew Hansen's me-too products had little chance of standing out. "We needed to create something different," he recalls.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists
    Pah! He's nothing special. I drive like that everywhere in my Nova SR - and I do it with traffic around me....
    Even more insulting is that they call thát drunk or otherwise irresponsible driving. It´s not fair.

:scratch: ^

Craftsman

I really want to love this, but it's just to.... Well... I really don't know? Contrived?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by andrew e
    I really want to love this, but it's just to.... Well... I really don't know? Contrived?
    Sure it is contrived; just like going round on a closed circuit :idea:

What about taking a the family car roundabout a second time beacuse the broad slide is so much fun? That is only not contrived when unplanned over an unbeknown roundabout.

I was out on a date in Granada past friday night and the lady was guiding me to a nice place. When about near in my idea I asked about parking somewhere and ´oops we passed that right now here on the right´ and as there was no traffic I pulled the campero (large station wagon) 180 degrees around then and there. Thát was not contrived :mrgreen:

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla
    I was out on a date in Granada past friday night and the lady was guiding me to a nice place. When about near in my idea I asked about parking somewhere and ´oops we passed that right now here on the right´ and as there was no traffic I pulled the campero (large station wagon) 180 degrees around then and there. Thát was not contrived :mrgreen:
    Superb. Chock full of euphemisms and great imagery. :)

FWIW, I prefer rallying to racing - I think there's more skill involved in driving a car over the edge rather than up to the edge. Metaphorically speaking. :D

Master

Whilst I really enjoy watching his vids its just not the same. I am sure if I spent a week solid driving round any UK race circuit I could cut together a video of clips to make what looks like the perfect lap, same for pretty much anyone else competing in club motorsport here. Doing it on race day after barely any preparation and with everyone else around is a different matter as I am sure you know yourself with your bike experience and of course is a source of monumental frustration. The thing with Ken though is he has largely sucked at trying to be a WRC contender, doesn't make his vids any the less impressive but it puts the contrived nature of them into context.

In all fairness to him he never makes out its all one take (on this one anyway) you can tell its taken a ton of time to practice, reshoot, move to another location, replace tyres etc but your never going to get something that looks like that in one take, its not a race its dicking about with a video camera.

As mentioned he sold a big chunk of DC for a truck load of cash, and now uses that to make films of him dicking about in cars and get into the WRC. Cant really fault him for that can you, yes he might not be the fastest but hes going to get round there a HELL of a lot quicker than most.

There is no doubt the lad has bags of talent but I don't think he's been able to transfer that to WRC. I have always enjoyed his videos and the feature on Top Gear a few years back. Thanks for posting.

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jordan-arch
    In all fairness to him he never makes out its all one take (on this one anyway) you can tell its taken a ton of time to practice, reshoot, move to another location, replace tyres etc but your never going to get something that looks like that in one take, its not a race its dicking about with a video camera.

As mentioned he sold a big chunk of DC for a truck load of cash, and now uses that to make films of him dicking about in cars and get into the WRC. Cant really fault him for that can you, yes he might not be the fastest but hes going to get round there a HELL of a lot quicker than most.

You can tell by the tyre tracks already there that some parts are a second or third take.

Haters gonna hate.

For the rest of us, that video is sheer joy cathartic and something to awe at his pure skills.

I love what he does and i rate his skills. Good on him.

Blog Entries

Fantastic video! Thoroughly enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by Argee1977
    You can tell by the tyre tracks already there that some parts are a second or third take.
    Or eighth, or seventeenth!

Stevie Wonder could do just as good :lol:

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NJH
    Whilst I really enjoy watching his vids its just not the same.
    Ofcourse it´s not the same but that does not change the fact that racing on a track is a contrived thing or indeed that most (to not say all) ´ideal´ laps are patchwork.

It boils down to like or not.
    I like it all :mrgreen:
    Drifting, racing, ralley, enduro, raids, trials are all fun in their own right. I´ve done them all. Most on two and four wheels.

The HUGE differences are not between the actitivies.
    One is between the opinionated spectators and the experienced do-ers.
    Another is between whether the do-er is at it for the resulting ranking or the resulting fun.

Ken Block is having big fun drifting and has the means to have it put together in spectacular video. It´s what it is. Enjoy or not. TIOLI.
    I say big thanks Ken :bounce: and I wish I could ride a new Toy 86 :mrgreen:

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega
    Superb. Chock full of euphemisms and great imagery. :)
    Thanks.
    Can you imagine her clinging to the hand grip over the door :?: She didn´t utter a sound.
    With her ´dangling´ there in terror, I sought a space to leave the car on the deserted lot she had poited out as a parking space. The car jumped over the potholes and she was convince only luck prevented us from crashing into the cars occupying the smoothest bits.
    When I found a suiteable space she knéw we would go crashing down to the Daro river glinstering fár below in the moonlight.
    She wore very, VERY high heels so going back to the road was fun too, but it was shé who had selected the lot :lol:
    When we were seated on a terrace looking out at the Alahambra, she downed the best part of her wine and sighed; ´Good thing I´m not wearing knickers.´

FWIW, I prefer rallying to racing - I think there's more skill involved in driving a car over the edge rather than up to the edge. Metaphorically speaking. :D
    Dífferent skill.
    It´s basically a different sort of risk asessment.
    Both the differing risc and vastly different track make for entirly different driving.

Mý wet dream of driving is the 1987 attack on Pike´s Peak by Walther Röhl in his S1.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8AzQolK_84

The last of the car´s for men; the rest is for sissy girls would Arnold say :wink:

Here a bit more info on it:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRstWxPzRVw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQM5_wAU ... ure=relmfu

Master

More than that rally cars spend more time sideways because on loose surfaces the slip angle is much greater than would be optimal for a circuit racing car. Its a different edge rather than one being more on it than the other. A mate of mine is a rally driver, he did a challenge several years back with a guy who is an experienced circuit racer. They both got 3 goes down a short sprint course. On the first go my mate was fastest, on the second the times were similar and on the 3rd the circuit racer went quickest winning the challenge on final pace but nicely showing how the two disciplines are equally skilfull but different.

Compared to the previous episodes, this is much more raw!

Craftsman

cool video, seen all the previous parts and this one seems to be very well put from the camera work perspective, good inside helmet cam shots!

oh and absolutely loved 4 wheels off the ground sideways jump!!!!

Banned
    Blog Entries

More than that rally cars spend more time sideways because on loose surfaces the slip angle is much greater than would be optimal for a circuit racing car.
    and do you know why on loose surface, and only on lóóse, a larger angle is beneficial?
    On tarmac a slip angle just below tire drift is optimal as that is where max.traction lies.

Master

Allegedly traction moving the loose surface creates much more thrust than can be achieved via the tyres gripping into the loose surface through cornering.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Allegedly traction moving the loose surface creates much more thrust than can be achieved via the tyres gripping into the loose surface through cornering.
    Correct :bounce:
    Nothing allegedly. It´s basic natural science.
    It´s action = - reaction x inertia :wink:
    The loose stuff gets shifted = mass = the car can push itself forward with this as extra.
    ´Traction´ by inertia of the shifted mass.