closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Band of Brothers

Band of Brothers

Just started watching this and it's brilliant. If you haven't seen it, I recommend you do.

Re: Band of Brothers

Watched it and loved every second especially the interviews with the actual soldiers at the end. Amazing what they had to go through !
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

It's brilliant. When it first came out, there were actual lines for it at my local video club. I couldn't get it on DVD, so I had to make do with VHS :shock:

I got the boxed set 3 years ago and still haven't watched them yet :D

Rod

Banned

My wife and I watched the box set and loved it.

Agree. Very well done.

It really made me look at my grandfathers a little differently.

Master

The book is decent as well.
    Hard going if you read it first, but easier when you've seen the series and can sort of put faces to names.

The author has done half a dozen in a similar vein, all brilliant.

Read the book first, its superb. The series is just amazing too. I have it on VCR in original tin box. PM Me. I'll send it free to a forum member if they pay postage.
    The Pacific is a different kettle of fish, very very dark and extremely disturbing :(

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak
    The book is decent as well.
    Hard going if you read it first, but easier when you've seen the series and can sort of put faces to names.

The author has done half a dozen in a similar vein, all brilliant.
    I'll have to get the book as well.

Master

Me and my (then) 13 year old son watched it together and we both really enjoyed it. Highly recommended.

I'm in the middle of the series for the first time. Watched ep5 this afternoon instead of Wimbledon. Quality stuff.

I've watched it a few times over recently and it never fails to impress. Have the pacific tin sitting in my draw but not watched it yet will make it my task over the next few weeks. How does it stand up against BOB?

for me, band of brothers is the single best tv show ever made

Pacific is good, but didnt grab me like bob.

I have BoB on DVD and blu-ray (not finished this version yet) plus have The Pacific on blu-ray (again unwatched). I remember when BoB was on TV for the first time, it was a must watch every week.

Isnīt it too long? I intended to watch it couple of times but the lenght discouraged me.
    (For example I havenīt seen Lord of the rings extended edition for the same reason :D )

Quote Originally Posted by jakubisko
    Isnīt it too long? I intended to watch it couple of times but the lenght discouraged me.
    (For example I havenīt seen Lord of the rings extended edition for the same reason :D )
    The complete series isn't that long and it's broken up into 10 bite sized episodes. Trust me once you start watching you'll be glued to it and I bet you can't just watch the one episode.

Cheers,
    Gary

Master

Fantastic series - Episode 7 in the snow covered woods was the standout episode for me.

BTW, if anyone is interested in the DVD version of BoB in its tin, let me know and I'm sure we can come to some suitable cheap arrangement.

Great series, though I thought Pacific was disappointing in comparison as the different characters didn't really stand out and it seems each episode was a bit samey (yet another jungle infested island full of Japs to be taken).

Pacific suffered from a narrative perspective because it wasn't the journey of a single unit, so just wasn't as easy to follow and make a story from. I still thought it was excellent, though. BoB wins because of the better narrative structure for a miniseries. Watch both, then read the books associated with both and feel lucky to have not been the generation tasked with doing all that they did.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Master

If anyone is interested I've got the Band of Brothers book here, along with Wild Blue - a book by the same author.
    Same themes as Band of Brothers, but this time focusing on the crew of a B-24 bomber that flew over Germany throughout the last three years of WW2.

Free to a good home, just bung a quid in a charity box next time you pass one.

Master

Watched it when the BBC showed it in 2000 or so and really enjoyed it. Bought the BluRay set a couple of years ago. Must get round to watching it again.

Craftsman

Brilliant series must watch it again.

Just finished it...brilliant.

The (now elderly) the men that fought introduce each episode but you don't find out who is who after the final episode. Quite emotional really.

Grand Master

Band of Brothers was an excellent series and it certainly brings home the horrors of WW2 combat.

At the age of 54, having had a life-long interest in military history, I'm amazed just how little the younger generations understand about the WW1 and WW2 conflicts. My late father served in the Navy from 1942-45 and was present at the D-Day landings; my mother was a nurse from 1943-46. My grandfather was invalided out of the army in 1917 following a gas attack on the Western Front (.....he lived to be 85!). No surprise that I grew up with a strong awareness of the wars. It's easy to assume that others have a similar awareness of the facts and history but I`m finding this isn`t the case nowadays; it's a generation/education thing.

I don`t think we should live in the past or continue to glory in the victories to an excessive degree, but I think the 20th century wars should be taught in schools and put into context; people should know what happened and be given chance to appreciate the tremendous losses that were suffered on all sides.

Paul