closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Omega PO Ceramic - any opinions?

Omega PO Ceramic - any opinions?

Hi all.

I really love the look of these. The old model was 'okay' as far as I was concerned but never moved me enough to want to get one but the pics of the new model really make it look like a high end piece.

Does anyone here own one/have any impressions of handling one and if so what are your thoughts on it? What kind of AD discount might I be able to achieve (I like the watch but I'm not spending £3,800 on one and that's an end to it! :D ). Have any gone pre-owed recently and if so what kind of price?

Sorry for all the questions

Master

Re: Omega PO Ceramic - any opinions?

Great looking watch but bezel felt like crap in all the ones I've tried (5 or 6 all in Omega boutiques) and that's the only reason I don't own one. By "like crap" I mean slack, misaligned, clunky - just terrible for a watch costing that much.

Master

I've got the Chrono - superb watch in every way. I'm considering upgrading my work watch SMP to the new 3 hander.

Blowers sold a used one for £3100, which is the only one I've seen used. You should be able to get 15% off at an AD, probably not at a boutique.

Thanks for the replies. Did you feel that it was a big upgrade on the original PO?

Blog Entries

I had the 2500 and upgraded to the 8500. I'm extremely happy with it. The watch has a very solid feel. Far prefer it to my old Sub which for some reason is considerably more expensive. I paid £3250 for it last November which included a polish for my old PO which they normally charged £125 for. They're going up in price on July 12 evidently.

Master

I thin the 8500 is a massive upgrade on the 2500 version.

Craftsman

I don't own a Planet Ocean as it just doesn't feel/look right on my wrist - the proportion just doesn't look right when it's on. Stick it on a cushion and I'll drool all over it though. It's torture really.

As for the ceramic version, I think it's a worthy upgrade over the 2500. The 8500 is an absolutely stunning movement, i'd love to own one in one of the omega designs at some point. The ceramic bezel will obviously be hard waring and really looks the business IMO.

I would definitely recommend you go and get your hands on one at an AD or boutique if you haven't already.

I don't think there is any doubt that the newer PO is an improvement in most regards over the original, but I cannot get my head around its price tag. Even with a discount to around £3k it still seems a lot. But then it's all relative and you're not getting any less than you would elsewhere for that money, in fact much more expensive watches offer the same or less. Stupid industry, really.

Master

They look great but they are quite a bit thicker then the precious 2500 PO. Is till have my older one and may at some point trade in. I can't get a brand new new for £3000.

I have upgraded from the 2500 and have no regrets. (it was between this and a 16610 Sub)

Bracelet has been upgraded with screw links, bezel is now ceramic, display caseback, blue/green lume and of course the 60h PR 8500 calibre.

Quote Originally Posted by Catalin.Somer
    I have upgraded from the 2500 and have no regrets. (it was between this and a 16610 Sub)

Bracelet has been upgraded with screw links, bezel is now ceramic, display caseback, blue/green lume and of course the 60h PR 8500 calibre.

Lovely pictures.. :thumbright:

I owned the 9300 chrono and that was a beast. For me I loved the movement the feel and the quality. I could not get over the matte dial, for me it just does not work. The bezel mechanism is very poor as someone has already mentioned and that really is a school boy error. If you can live with those points the rest of it is pure class.

Quote Originally Posted by km9
    Lovely pictures.. :thumbright:
    I agree. Nice shots.

It's a very classy bit of kit. You can argue about the price, but there are enough improvements to make it feel like a worthwhile upgrade over the previous model IMO - and even at the current price, it is (arguably) objectively better value than the Sub (at £6k now!). The display back will annoy the purists, but I think it's a very smart looking movement that needs to be showed off.

used to have the 2500 42mm.........three days ago i bout a 45.5mm po 8500 and it's leaps and bounds avove the previous model, the bezel on mine is as tight as on the previous model i;e very tight with no wobble..................i tried an Oris Titan the other day thr bezel felt like it was gonna come off.........but i love Oris, I suspect it was a duff one.....

Quote Originally Posted by robcat
    The display back will annoy the purists, but I think it's a very smart looking movement that needs to be showed off.
    Meh, purists.

The movement looks lovely. It'd be a sin to cover it up.

I think the displayback is one of the coolest things about this watch, as is the dial. The ceramic bezel isn't anything to write home about :)

The only thing troubling me is the thickness, the old PO is about as thick as I want a watch so not sure if the extra is gonna be a deal breaker or not.
    The thing I want is for somebody to photograph multiple picutres of the old 42mm next to the new one, from all angles to get a better idea of where we stand. Trying one on is fine but I'm not near an AD atm!

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarfan
    It would be if it has a quick set date!
    It's just a matter of time...

Master

It has the hour-change-without-stopping-the-watch feature instead - I'd rather have that!

Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3
    Great looking watch but bezel felt like crap in all the ones I've tried (5 or 6 all in Omega boutiques) and that's the only reason I don't own one. By "like crap" I mean slack, misaligned, clunky - just terrible for a watch costing that much.
    Before I bought my 42mm PO, I tried on a couple of 45mm the AD had sitting in the tray. I'll agree that the bezel on the 45 sounded very tinny and rather cheap when ratcheted, especially at speed. The bezel on my example and the other 42mms I looked at gave a much higher quality feel and sound. As you can see there is no misalignment and there is no play.

Compared to my Sub it's not as smooth, but the Sub's four years old exhibits some play.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic
    It would be if it has a quick set date!
    well said :mrgreen:...

The twin barrels and the independent hour hand make this movement thicker and much more complex than it needs to be. The 2500D is a great movement IMHO...

My opinion about the ceramic PO's is that I much prefer my 2201.50 2500D PO :) ....

I prefer the hour/minute hands on the 8500 PO and blue lume, but that's about it...honestly.

Master

Im really interested in buying one of these 8500 and Im glad the caseback is open so theres no chance of picking up a super accurate rep!

Has anyone managed to get one of these for the 3k mark yet?

Master

Someone mentioned Earnest Jones and pre-paid cards(?) in another thread to get 20% off, which is just over £3k....

got mine for 3k..........but i'm a "regular" in the shop..........

Quote Originally Posted by Juice

Result.

About to try and replicate that kind of deal at the moment...

Someone mentioned Earnest Jones and pre-paid cards(?) in another thread to get 20% off, which is just over £3k....
    Yes if you work for certain large companies you can buy certain high street vouchers with a discount. The company i work for allows me to get 15% off Earnest Jones Vouchers. I assume you could also use the Signet Shareholder discount card for another %10 off.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W

Result.

Do it before July 12 when prices are supposed to go up.

Quote Originally Posted by BSB

Result.

Do it before July 12 when prices are supposed to go up.

Sure, that would be my aim too!!!! :)

OK I'm going to try to get one but I'm paying no more than £3k for brand new. If the dealer wants the money in cash great, if not c'est la vie.

Assuming retail prices go up on 16th July it will probably be a £4k watch then so if I flipped it in 6 months or so then the financial hit should be minimal.

Now, where can I get a BNIB PO 8500 ceramic big size for £3k? :D It will of course be end of month and quarter on saturday so one would assume the ADs will come out to play on the discounts in order to hit sales quotas?

I'd wait for a fellow member to step and help here........plus get on the telephone to some AD's see what they will do to get your business.

Same thing I am doing right now............... :wink: (perhaps we find an AD who want to sell two PO 8500's for £3k each maybe.......???)

Quote Originally Posted by Unlight
    Has anyone managed to get one of these for the 3k mark yet?

An AD I spoke with today is happy to supply at £3,000......pm me for details as I'm probably going to pull the trigger this week with one.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741
    [...]Does anyone here own one/have any impressions of handling one and if so what are your thoughts on it? [...]
    The watch has many strong technical points, but it's a bit of a typographic mess. I agree that with both the 2500 and 8500 versions, the bezel is the weakest feature in feel and design.

The watch includes too many typefaces, and the unbalanced, ultra-extended font on the insert is particularly jarring. Even if they added some much-need curvature to follow the contour of the bezel, it would still be badly drawn due to its horizontal distortion. Stretching the font in the manner they did is amateurish, and I'm a bit stunned to see such an elementary mistake from a company with the resources that Omega has. Someone with a basic understanding of graphic design should have spoken up before it went to production. The printing is also visually off-centre in the vertical axis, although I'm not sure it's possible to make a wide, straight element appear correct on a curved element anyway.

Note the stroke-width difference between horizontal and vertical elements on the insert. If they'd left it alone instead of stretching it 30% (presumably), it probably would have been OK. In the unlikely event that font was like that already, they should have chosen a different one. Also, does anyone else see that the numbers are too close to the outer edge of the bezel?

The caseback is another typographical eyesore. The "PROFESSIONAL 600m/2000ft" is well-executed in Omega's handsome signature typeface, but the small-caps "Planet Ocean" in some kind of AgencyFB-esque American-action-film font is another distinctly un-"PROFESSIONAL" touch.

This version of the case back is particularly NASCAR-ish.

Re the typographic mess on the bezel and the caseback - I think this is why the old classic Rolex models have been/were so successful. Just well thought out executed. Maybe a bit of a boring/vanilla choice on many peoples opinion, but I'm amazed how so many companies get the basics wrong on high priced premium products. I have G shocks with less fonts than that PO. Probably sounds really anal, but for £4k I want a nice watch, not a hoarding advertising meaningless words like 'professional'

@ Belligero

Appreciate your eye for detail but really you need to get out a little more............. :lol:

Master

Blimey you guys are picky :shock:

The PO looks bloody fabulous to me :D

Blimey you guys are picky :shock:

The PO looks bloody fabulous to me :D

....each to their own but I happen to agree that it's a handsome time piece from Omega.

I had an older 2500 powered one on the bracelet and it weighed a ton - and I wore it in rotation with a 44mm Panerai!

Sold it because of the weight in the end, was kind of ungainly. Isn't the new one even thicker - and therefore heavier?!

Quote Originally Posted by Belligero
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741
    [...]Does anyone here own one/have any impressions of handling one and if so what are your thoughts on it? [...]
    The watch has many strong technical points, but it's a bit of a typographic mess. I agree that with both the 2500 and 8500 versions, the bezel is the weakest feature in feel and design.

The watch includes too many typefaces, and the unbalanced, ultra-extended font on the insert is particularly jarring. Even if they added some much-need curvature to follow the contour of the bezel, it would still be badly drawn due to its horizontal distortion. Stretching the font in the manner they did is amateurish, and I'm a bit stunned to see such an elementary mistake from a company with the resources that Omega has. Someone with a basic understanding of graphic design should have spoken up before it went to production. The printing is also visually off-centre in the vertical axis, although I'm not sure it's possible to make a wide, straight element appear correct on a curved element anyway.

Note the stroke-width difference between horizontal and vertical elements on the insert. If they'd left it alone instead of stretching it 30% (presumably), it probably would have been OK. In the unlikely event that font was like that already, they should have chosen a different one. Also, does anyone else see that the numbers are too close to the outer edge of the bezel?

The caseback is another typographical eyesore. The "PROFESSIONAL 600m/2000ft" is well-executed in Omega's handsome signature typeface, but the small-caps "Planet Ocean" in some kind of AgencyFB-esque American-action-film font is another distinctly un-"PROFESSIONAL" touch.

This version of the case back is particularly NASCAR-ish.
    Your opinions, in my opinion, are once again unmitigated, unhinged, nonsense.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Hehe :D

Lol, ORIGINAL GAS ESCAPE VALVE, :drunken: RING LOCK SYSTEM, Hiccup!

Master

Bought my wife a PO with orange bezel, which is the older style. She likes the colour. Had a look at the newer version with ceramic bezel and I have to say I am not impressed with the bezel. However I prefer the sapphire case back and the new movement. Good luck on your purchase. :D

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Belligero

Many good points here, especially the number of typefaces used and the Mitty-ish design of some of them (CIA... :lol:). Worse than Breitling, another font mixmaster.

Nice watch but ridiculously thick given the WR. However, I think that is by design; this watch kicks sand in the face of Rolex for sheer notice-ability, and that's no accident.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw
    Good thing they''re opinions, then - just like yours, right? ;)

I thought he made a good point about the mess Omega made of the caseback. With the money they're charging for these now, I want more than perfection.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Quote Originally Posted by andrew

I thought he made a good point about the mess Omega made of the caseback. With the money they're charging for these now, I want more than perfection.

Perfection is a far too over used and unrealistic phrase....especially in regard to watches!

Perfection is a far too over used and unrealistic phrase....especially in regard to watches!
    here here!

On a side note, how tough are the new POs? Are the cases and that lovely new strap prone to scratches?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by triguy

here here!

On a side note, how tough are the new POs? Are the cases and that lovely new strap prone to scratches?
    Like any other chunky watch with a steel bracelet, you have to be careful but, thus far, seven or eight months in, mine's still as new :)

Master

Just the usual clasp scuffs on mine, plus one on the ceramic bezel coating.

My wife has the white PO, and isn't exactly careful with it, and it's almost as new too.

Just the usual clasp scuffs on mine, plus one on the ceramic bezel coating.

My wife has the white PO, and isn't exactly careful with it, and it's almost as new too.
    A scuff on the ceramic bezel coating? I thought the whole point of a ceramic bezel was the fact it is virtually unscratchable??!!

Master

It's just a coating to help with the matt finish. The bezel itself isn't damaged and its only a small light graze.

It's just a coating to help with the matt finish. The bezel itself isn't damaged and its only a small light graze.

Do you happen to know how the Omega ceramic bezel compares to the Rolex one in terms of resistance to marks??

Do you happen to know how the Omega ceramic bezel compares to the Rolex one in terms of resistance to marks??
    In the 5 days I have owned the watch what I can say is that it seems very durable (it got a clanging this pm :shock: and came out scot free) and one thing you don't get is the annoying fingerprint smudges that you get on the more glossy Rolex bezel.