closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Issued seiko BM?!

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy
    I'm not the one ranting Chris, and I'm far from stupid
    The fact remains that I simply said there is no proof as yet the watch is genuine. I wont have a problem if it turns out to be so.
    There is no excuse for a childish rant and the manner and language of the last one speaks volumes.
    Ok, you win, Griff. I'm out of here (better things to do than be wound up by ignorant twats like you). You may call that childish. I call it ending the problem. For what it's worth, on any fora I've ever posted I've always tried to post relavant useful information, help out members wherever I can, and not act the clown like you do.

I'm sure the forum will be much stronger for my absence and forever illuminated by your illustrious input :wink:

Toddle pip.

Foggy
    Stop showing off Foggy, I'm the only one that flounces off. :lol: :wink:

I know that know nothing twats can get on your wick but just ignore them.

At least I have the decency to admit I know nothing about mil watches and don't try to bluff it out.

Hang around. 8)
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy
    Ok, you win, Griff. I'm out of here (better things to do than be wound up by ignorant twats like you). You may call that childish. I call it ending the problem. For what it's worth, on any fora I've ever posted I've always tried to post relavant useful information, help out members wherever I can, and not act the clown like you do.

I'm sure the forum will be much stronger for my absence and forever illuminated by your illustrious input :wink:
    Hi Ian,

please don't withdraw from the forum. That's what he wants, and what will be the loss of all decent board members, but his gain.

Please don't play his game.

I, for one, would certainly appreciate your continued presence on this board. :)

Best wishes,

Martin
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Grand Master
    Ridiculous!
    I've never sought to get anyone to leave nor anyone to flounce off from another forum
    I wont be filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, I am not a number, I am a free man, my life is my own!!!
    Be seeing you
    Toodle pip
    Griff.

Quote Originally Posted by Griff
    Ridiculous!
    I've never sought to get anyone to leave nor anyone to flounce off from another forum
    It's not who's right or wrong but who's left.

(I'll get the proverbial coat.)

john
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

Some information and some advice from a mil watch collector.

Griff - after reviewing your comments on here and elsewhere you clearly do not know much about military issued watches - this is fine, there are many in a similar position so do not feel isolated. Given this obvious fact, I would advise that you do not get involved in 'pissing' competitions with people who do know about military watches.

I would not be the least suprised that Crouchy may draw a blank on this one - but I would also say that this is still no reason to cry 'fake'. The info trail on some mil watches - particularly the evaluation and very low issue numbers is often difficult to establish (Vulcan Seilko being one example). My friend in Paris is currently researching a DRSD with French Military engravings - Rolex indicate it was sold via Bexley - but it has authentic French Mil markings - not everything is so simple.

As regards the comments on the Seiko strap hardware - for your info there are examples of Seiko straps that are stitched nylon webbing with SS hardware - but then not everybody knows this.

I have had enough mil watches go through ny collection to know when something is not right - see my earlier post. This one feels & looks right in the important areas - but then I collect issued military watches.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader
    I, for one, would certainly appreciate your continued presence on this board. :)

Best wishes,

Martin
    I'll second that Crusader.

Ian's knowledge is well known and appreciated by many on this forum. :)

I know very little about military and issued watches, but I know far more than I peviously did thanks to contributions by Ian and others, and I (hopefully) look forward to learning more.

Oh, and Grif. As with any watch, 'PROOF' has to be in both directions. You may doubt it's authenticity, that's your perrogative, but if you want to suggest it's a fake then you have to prove it so or accept the observations of those more knowlegable in the subject.

Even if Foggy, Crouchy and Cris etc can't find actual proof, that doesn't mean it is a fake. And at least THEY are trying to find out.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Oh, and Grif. As with any watch, 'PROOF' has to be in both directions. You may doubt it's authenticity, that's your perrogative, but if you want to suggest it's a fake then you have to prove it so or accept the observations of those more knowlegable in the subject.
    Thankyou Peter - youve captured the point I was trying to make perfectly.

Thanks also to Martin.

Cheers

Foggy

Master
    This is an intriguing project, and for what I see, one that sets a new understanding of the nuances of authentication for Mil. watches, or at least the stepping stones to understanding them, their issuance and the aspects of this in regard to their issue as well as use.

I recall a debate we had over Davide's Omega 6b/159 where it was not certain if the engraving was authentic, though on other examples with provenances, the style was a possibility, and other less common styles of engraving for such watches were unearthed.

Itis a subtle process to the understanding of the context of such watches and other informs as to their authenticity.

Fascinating.

The work undertaken, in good coordination by Foggy, Crouchy and Chris and others is a great example on what can be achived in the movement of understanding better such watches.

I do, too enjoy the good challenges, without which , perhaps a less careful and cautious perspective would not be so achieved, to the positive. it is better not be become caried away, for any of us, as appears to all now, to be sure.

Sincerely,

Pottinger :)

Certainy doesn't exist (I'm certain of that :? ) - most of our beliefs are arrived at by weighing up evidence on the basis of our experience and expertise.

We can't be certain even that a Rolex bought from a Rolex dealer is genuine; but we weigh up the evidence before us and arrive at a conclusion which we feel comfortable with.

So with military and vintage watches.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by davide
    Certainy doesn't exist (I'm certain of that :? ) - most of our beliefs are arrived at by weighing up evidence on the basis of our experience and expertise.

We can't be certain even that a Rolex bought from a Rolex dealer is genuine; but we weigh up the evidence before us and arrive at a conclusion which we feel comfortable with.

So with military and vintage watches.
    Proof, I take it to mean-very few mil watches have papers, for e.g. as a classic measure of authentication, should they do so, these, again require being weighed, so to speak.

As well as the context(s) intimated

Sincerely,

Pottinger :)

This watch has now come to me from Chris - whether it's issued or not the BM makes a great watch with bags of character :)

Looks good as ever Dave.

Just some tips for others who may stumble across similar interesting pieces.....

1. Strap burn - look at the marks across the case back - indicates a decent amount of wear time on a Nato strap.

2. Look at the engraving under a loupe - this tells a good amount.

3. Chase all and every avenue for info - on occasions some of the emperical info from forces personnel is more relevant than official replies from MOD stores adminstrators :)

A good collector friend of mine turned up a French Mil. issue Doxa - yellow face (cannot remember the model) - chased the info for ages and continually drew a blank. Turns out it is genuine - very, very few were issued - which was why it took a serving French Combat Diver to fill the last part of the puzzle..... 8)
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

It would help if there was an online database of NSNs but I haven't been able to find a complete one. :(

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

looks like its been removed from ebray

Quote Originally Posted by MikeB
    That sort of thing happens after some 3 months ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeB
    That sort of thing happens after some 3 months ;)
    Or about 10 months in this case.

Interesting stuff...