closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: IWC big pilot - advice

Banned

IWC big pilot - advice

Just looking at the steel ones first. I know they are HUGE , but still contemplating one.
    Can someone summarise the various years/versions for me ?

Is this a good price ?

http://www.markworthingtonjewellers.co. ... ts_id=1574

Cheers
    Simon

Master
    Blog Entries

Re: IWC big pilot - advice

I'm no authority but have handled numerous when wanting to buy. The 5002 is considered by many to be more desirable but needs it's original fish emblem crown. I like most versions of it and the size for me isn't an issue but I’ve never committed to one.

A non WIS friend was with me on one buying trip and referred to the clown feet crown. I know it's big for a reason but it does look a little disproportionate most of the time. Wearing my watch on my right wrist, the much talked about ‘crown dig’ was prevalent from the outset too.

I think you also have to decide between the looks of the 5002, with has the more retro-style dial and white date, and the 5004, which looks a bit more modern, has the black date, but has the slightly odd-looking cut out numerals. I think the newer movements may be a little more accurate, if that sort of thing bothers you. Chrono 24 shows quite a lot of these so you should be able to take your pick.

This newer one is cheaper.

http://www.chrono24.com/en/iwc/iwc-b...acturerIds=124

Blowers seem to get quite a few of these as well.

They are certainly are big, even compared with the Portuguese 5001, which is big but manageable.

IWC big pilot - advice

About the only IWC that doesn't look really classy. IMHO.

Have you tired on one?

A guy at work has one and his normal watch is a PAN.

This looks MUCH bigger, and hes quite a big bloke (big and chunky! -;-) Fat)

He has to wear double cuff shirts as it won't go under the sleeve with a normal cuff.

IWC big pilot - advice

Classy is not always the same as massive. Though I suppose the clock atop Queen Elizabeth tower is classy, it wouldn't be as classy on a bracelet.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by simes
    You're far too kind. Many modern IWC watches lack all class. Consider the rubber coated Aquatimer, the vomit colored Miramar pilot watches, or the cringe inducing Top Gun models. I don't need to point out the many horrid special editions (red lum BP? yuck!).

I miss the design aesthetic of the AT ref. 3536.

Quote Originally Posted by simes
    They are quite popular though. Especially with big guys.

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

Thats not a bad price imo....pretty sure rrp is at least £10.5k now.

I preferred the 5004-01 and that was the one i owned.......loved it but was one of those watches i was always afraid of damaging and therefore never really wore it (maybe because it held sentimental value to me) haveing said that I sold it not long back for not much less that that advertised price. IIRC the 5004-01 was from roughly 2007 - 2012, with the 5002-01 pre-dating that (perhaps back to 2002??) I also recall seeing the big pilot effectively looking the same when the 2012 models were launched but i think the model no. was now 5009-01?? i'm sure someone will keep me right on that.

I would say go for it. I have a 7 1/2 ish wrist and it always felt large but right, buut then i have hands like shovels. To me it was not as noticeable on the wrist as a deepsea because it weighs less but it certainly attracts some comments.

Looks good to me. I love my BP.

It really is something different. Don't listen to the doubters. They will be rubishing the watch but there is nothing wrong in being different.

I once had a BP 5002 and loved it.
    Despite being a large watch it was very comfortable - it felt far nicer and more balanced on the wrist than
    some other watches I've owned -such as a Panerai 243
    the crown did not dig in whatsoever....

The BP definitely gets far more compliments than most watches- + you seldom see them in the wild compared to Rolex etc which is nice-
    I'd say to the OP though- for about 7k I'd be looking for one only a year or two old.....having said that, like many I prefer the 5002 dial.
    Also, on a more trivial note- the bass player 'Flea' from the Red Hot Chilli Peppers wears a Big Pilot which is important to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Gastro
    Can someone summarise the various years/versions for me ?
    This is a good site for info on the IWC (Big) Pilots. Hope you can read German, that is the best part.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

love th big pilot, IWC are really starting to become 'fashionable' these days, watch out for them making a big swing into favour in the next 18 months

For waht its worth, I have used Mark Worthington before too and he's a fairly decent guy

It's one of the few massive watches I don't mind, as it's not a case of simply tossing a standard-sized movement into an empty shell, and it has that soft-iron inner cage. I couldn't see it as an everyday watch, but it would certainly be a fun toy to have when the occasion suits.

I'd have the BP far before the Big Ingenieur - the display back on the BI ruins the watch for me, since the design's original raison d'être was magnetic resistance.

HI Simon

They are big, but seem to fit on the wrist really well. I would say they wear smaller than you would expect a 46mm watch to.

The later ones have a faster beat movement (5004) which was done as the earlier 5002's did seem to have some accuracy problems. As to price, I saw one recently in a 2nd hand dealer in Harrogate for about £6350, but it wasn't 'mint', just very good condition.

All the best in your search

Tim