closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waterproof watches

Waterproof watches

My favorite style of watch is chronograph or multi dial along with some of the more weird and wonderful watch styles such as the Louis Moinet Jurassic Tourbillon, Van Ree DNA watch or the The Rebellion Predator. . . I hasten to add looks not price for the following reason. I am looking for a second hand watch that is swim and showerproof can be battered or is battered) which looks a little odd as per watches above. I have had a G shock which I broke which was the longest lasting of the practical timepieces but need something as robust as sadly I am not the most gentle handler of watches in general due to a number of sporting mishaps. Any suggestions and pictures would be more than welcome as this site was recommended as a great place to look. Budget would be up to £100. Any help guidance or pointers would be gratefully received whilst I continue looking at watches to add to my 'when I win the lottery' list.

Waterproof watches

Seiko Black Monster. Google for a pic! Tough as nails, solid bracelet or tough rubber strap, looks a bit odd, but in a good way :-)
    Not a chrono or multi-dial, but day/date and amazing lume. £100 will get you a decent secondhand one, but I'd buy new from Creation online. Of all the watches I've had, G shocks are the toughest though - £100 should get you a solar/atomic GW6900 which would be my choice if I was heavy handed. Good luck with the search!

Banned

Re: Waterproof watches

The OP is a very good friend of mine, but as can be seen, crap at intro's :mrgreen:

He asked me to find him a beater to save his Navitimer for 'best', however, his supplied description was like something Liberace would choose whilst on crack :shock:

Im hoping several decent replies will start to tune him into WISdom...

Oh and welcome matey 8)

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66
    The OP is a very good friend of mine
    Poor sod. Your friend that is.

If you can break a G-Shock I would stick to F-91W's, at least they are cheap.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Yes, the vote would be a monster from me too - I have two beaters (black for when I have to be sensible, and orange when I'm feeling quirky) and they are as good as gold!

They are automatic, so still considered a 'proper' watch and with a big stainless bezel, are really tough. They keep good time as well for a cheaply watch!

Casio G. DW5600 39£. Can not go wrong with that.

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66
    The OP is a very good friend of mine, but as can be seen, crap at intro's :mrgreen:

He asked me to find him a beater to save his Navitimer for 'best', however, his supplied description was like something Liberace would choose whilst on crack :shock:

Im hoping several decent replies will start to tune him into WISdom...

Oh and welcome matey 8)
    Ohh, dear. Poor bloke.

He has my full sympathy.

He must be a git then....I mean a good bloke!!!! :lol: :wink:

Seriously; burnsey vouching for him is good enough for me! Welcome to the forum. :mrgreen:

Quote Originally Posted by gtiller
    Yes, the vote would be a monster from me too - I have two beaters (black for when I have to be sensible, and orange when I'm feeling quirky) and they are as good as gold!

They are automatic, so still considered a 'proper' watch and with a big stainless bezel, are really tough. They keep good time as well for a cheaply watch!
    As per Burnseys 'Liberace' quote the orange one appeals and I like the style of the watch. . . There must be a maker of "alien looking" or bizarre, / chunky watches out there though, still trolling through eBay. . .fBay. . .gBay etc etc looking for the impossible.

Or maybe not.

How about a Vostok. Just a selection of styles - loads more of dubious taste from ebay store Zenitar :

:lol: :D

The last one is getting there (just needs a few extra dials) but that is certainly a strange looking timepiece. . . Anyone got anything weirder?

Will this do? A tad on the wild side, I'll admit...

Master

Pulsar chrono - there's a couple around on watchrecon.com at around the £100 (equivalent) mark: http://www.watchrecon.com/?query=pulsar&last_days=31

One of them is an RAF issue style Pulsar chrono for £99.95:

If you quite like chrono's and want a watch that can dive and is robust, this is my pick:

A sensible option would be a Seiko, Citizen or Casio, but since you're after something more extreme looks wise, look up Invicta. Some extreme looking ones can be had cheaply on ebay.

Personally I'd go for a G Shock, if only as they last for ages and seem to enjoy being kicked. I've 4 and love them all purely for that fact!

|The black monster is certainly a option but just had a look at the Invicta's. . .

They seem to fill the bill quite nicely. . .

I wont know for sure till Burnsey labels them Liberace design disasters then I'll know that I am on the right track. . .

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by MacDeath
    I have had a G shock which I broke which was the longest lasting of the practical timepieces but need something as robust as sadly I am not the most gentle handler of watches in general due to a number of sporting mishaps.
    why not another casio bur radiocontrolled? ideal for young people

I am sure G-shock should be worth another try - I've only killed one over the years and the rest have taking a hammering.

Lots of Citizen and Seiko models to choose from too in the price bracket - too many to picture in fact - but if you can kill a G shock, I wouldn't go for a standard Seiko or Citizen as they use mineral glass/hardlex in this price range for the most part.
    It's just a matter of time...

Journeyman

I got this one, now used by my daugther http://www.relojes-especiales.com/foros ... -144500/2/

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Liberace on crack = Invicta
    If you managed to break a g shock though , don't expect them to last more than 5 minutes
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Another recommendation for the monster here but how about an orange one?

If you want more dials, how about a Zodiac Sea Dragon. Big, chunky, blingy, WR100, lots of different colours

Discontinued now I think from the Zodiac catalogue but you can find them for £100 or so

Journeyman

Would a Seiko skx007 fit the bill at all ? Love mine I have to say....Although if you've killed a gshock.......

Master

would,nt recommend an auto for you, considering the way you are going to treat it, and i did'nt think i would ever say this but get a g shock

What a great selection to add to my "I always have the mixed grill because I cant make my mind up" list.

It all partly stems from (and I am quoting myself ref the Vostoks)

Yeah. . . It's a G shock.

Or

Yeah it's a Vostock, I think they are made with stainless steel refined from the re-entry stage of the old Sputnik satellites and the dial glows so well in the dark because they are still slightly radioactive.

There is a beaut of a watch in the for sale section an Invicta which fits the bill nicely but It's in such good nick that I would be back in the 'too scared to use it as a day to day watch' catagory. I think I need something with a little wear and tear (or character) which will remove the desire to wrap cotton wool round it when out and about.

Thanks for all the pictures btw. . . Will buy them all when they put the correct magnets in the lottery balls : )

This caught my eye. . .

But have to say much nicer selection above. . . Not sure if this is orange enough.

Quote Originally Posted by oldandgrumpy
    If you want more dials, how about a Zodiac Sea Dragon. Big, chunky, blingy, WR100, lots of different colours

Discontinued now I think from the Zodiac catalogue but you can find them for £100 or so
    Lovely, I'd have one of those.

Is that a rubber strap. . .

Waterproof watches

Quote Originally Posted by oldandgrumpy

Had one of those, looked great but fragile - pusher and crown fell off the one I had (identical to the blue faced one in the picture) within a week, poor WR Too. Look good but fall apart in my experience - like a G shock made of egg shells :-(

Is that a rubber strap. . .
    What, on this ?

Yes, it's rubber - smells of vanilla which I quite liked :)

Any other flavors, always did prefer savory. . .

Nuff said.

Back to unusual watches, Any one with a really scary waterproof battered chrono with bright colors and Vanilla (or Madras) flavored strap pictures please.

Don't be shy. ; )

A dark horse to start the ball rolling

Or dark horse with grey hairs. . .

This with a NATO strap. . . Perfect beach material*

* I.E. walking up and down the beach hoping that someone will ask you the time.

How about one of these : Vostok Europe ?

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=227947

oops. . . I need 40 more posts to view it.

Update 39 now : )

I'll resort to Google unless you can upload pics which I would be grateful for.

Cheers

Heading for the orange theme again. . . It wont let me go to an image but this is a screen capture.

It just needs a few extra dials

oops. . . I need 40 more posts to view it.

Update 39 now : )

I'll resort to Google unless you can upload pics which I would be grateful for.

Cheers
    Hmmn, I forgot :?

pm sent

Vostok AN-225 Mriya

Thats a nice watch. . . Thank you, had a look at most of the Vostoks ref their web sites, I was told that they can be a bit flimsy. . .

But then again my G shock was meant to be indestructible. . . Nuff said.

Any one had a Vostoc and given it rough treatment?

And it survived

Craftsman

What about a Swatch chrono,pretty tough and basic,some of the lairy colours may appeal to you

I used to own a swatch a long time ago when my knees would let me ski. . . And kneel down. . . And not know when damp weather was on the way etc etc

it lasted quite a few years and at the time I was at the height of my 'explosion in a paint factory' taste in colours. . . I think the strap gave up before the watch and as it was all one colour scheme then it went into a box in the attic.

I like the middle one and it scores highly due to the extra dials.

Thanks for that.

Seiko Velatura SNDA63?

Would mean a little stretch over the budget though.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Gshock Riseman.

Re: Seiko Velatura SNDA63?

That is a very nice watch. . .

And not just because its orange : )

Has anyone got any picture reference for over sized or chunky watches. . . I have large wrists so smaller watch faces tend to look a little like something I borrowed off my mother. . .

Again same rule apply ref colours. . . Dials. . . Waterproof. . . Battered. . . Rubber strap

Etc etc

This is nice and chunky and fits the bill price wise. . .

Still looking though, somewhere out there . . . . .

This is the watch. . .

Absolutely perfect.

But its too dear : ( ticks all the boxes though. . . Anyone got anything to recommend in a similar vein?

Please

For a friend of the burnster, you have crap taste in watches! :P

Has he had no positive influence on you at all!? :lol:
    You must have had the chance to look over his shoulder and peek at some of the fantastic watches, he has had.

BTW how did you manage to break a Casio G?

Quote Originally Posted by WatchScout
    For a friend of the burnster, you have crap taste in watches! :P

Has he had no positive influence on you at all!? :lol:

You must have had the chance to look over his shoulder and peek at some of the fantastic watches, he has had.

BTW how did you manage to break a Casio G?
    This whole thread has gone to hell in a basket. :sad11: :D

john
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

Crap taste in watches that hurts. . . I bet you have a pair of white shoes : )

But please enlighten me pictures most welcome, Burnsey has sent me and showed me some very nice watches but for what I want as a day to day they are too nice or too special if you like. My 'going out' watch is a Navitimer which is a classic and although I have a slightly the worse for wear 70's Rolex the Breitling wins hands down every time, I think they are and always will be a very classy watch.

Because I have two classic watches I am just looking for something a little unusual. . .

And to finish does anyone like the welder? Anyone : (

How did I break the G shock. . . It just got hard use, at the time (or when I was younger if you like) I used to cycle in amateur competitions, run quite a lot, play football etc etc and I wanted a waterproof watch (the great British weather) that would stand up to abuse. . . I broke the stopwatch buttons from memory but to be fair and as I said at the beginning of this thread I am not the most gentle person with watches. . .

At this point credit to Burnsey for introducing me to the NATO straps which have saved my Navitimer from a nasty drop twice this year. . .

And by accident whilst browsing. . .

I found this

Which was nice. . .

(A nod in the direction of the sadly missed fast show)