closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are Panerai fan boys really this gullible?

Are Panerai fan boys really this gullible?

Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Re: Are Panerai fan boys really this gullible?

Is there a decimal point missing somewhere?

I read an article in the Financial Times the other week that there is a flight from the Euro into real assets and how much this is driving luxury good and real estate prices in Europe and across the world. Thanks for the real-life example to proof it. :D
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Finland...next to a lake...somewhere in the forest.

Nearly 7,000 euros for six pieces of leather and 3 buckles. I'm in the wrong business :roll: .

When you own a watch that's worth between £20000 to £70000 the NOS straps are worth every penny to complete a set especially when the time comes to move it on. Bonkers but true.

Master
    Blog Entries

Are Panerai fan boys really this gullible?

No more so than the Rolex fanboys, and if you want pukka originals this is what they fetch :)

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

i dont think its any worse than some of the thousands that various rolex dials etc etc command.
    personally i wouldnt pay that kind of money, but im not a seriously devoted collector.

Craftsman

Showing my ignorance here but ... what's special about them?

Master

Really glad I'm not keen on Panerais!

Well the really special bit is the profit margin........ :wink:

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by edfuller
    Those are NOS fitting Panerai models which were manufactured before their 1997 takeover by Vendome (and subsequently by Richemont). Those watches are worth a kidney and a half, and I suppose if you are a real die-hard collector you need to have an original strap on while your watch sits in the bank safe.

Crazy price, but if you want one, then thats the price you have to pay i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by verv
    i dont think its any worse than some of the thousands that various rolex dials etc etc command.
    personally i wouldnt pay that kind of money, but im not a seriously devoted collector.
    This is one of the reasons why I wouldn't let myself become obsessed with vintage. You can end up paying silly money for the accessories, never mind the watch itself. (I know it is a little rich coming from a WIS, but dare I say, this is party why I can't see the sense in becoming obsessed about what is written on the dial of your old Rolex diving watch!)

Master

Are these solid gold coated in steel? :D just insane prices but like a member previous stated if the watch is 70k the owners not going to have a problem dropping 6k on some straps.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Have to say I do really like those tang buckles!!!

Mike

To be honest I think most people would think we were equally insane for spending what we do on watches!

In the pics the third hole down from the lug end of each strap seems to have some use / wear and tear. I though generally NOS meant un-used?

(not that i would be in the market to purchase them anyway, but still)

Andy

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe
    Quote Originally Posted by edfuller
    Those are NOS fitting Panerai models which were manufactured before their 1997 takeover by Vendome (and subsequently by Richemont). Those watches are worth a kidney and a half, and I suppose if you are a real die-hard collector you need to have an original strap on while your watch sits in the bank safe.
    Ah ok, thanks :) even at that price they went within a couple of days, amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by AndyR
    In the pics the third hole down from the lug end of each strap seems to have some use / wear and tear. I though generally NOS meant un-used?

Andy
    Possibly stored like this, although I'm struggling to see "use/wear & tear".

Picture from Watchworx, BTW...

______

​Jim.

Craftsman

If you own a PreV without the 2 straps it should have come with in 1993-1997 you are likely to pay anything to complete the package as it will increase the value of the watch...When I was in the game straps were quite rare but nowadays they seem to be popping up all over the place....
    Not so rare after all!!!

Banned
    Blog Entries

As to the topic title; do a search on PAM318.

Quote Originally Posted by torromoto
    If you own a PreV without the 2 straps it should have come with in 1993-1997 you are likely to pay anything to complete the package as it will increase the value of the watch...When I was in the game straps were quite rare but nowadays they seem to be popping up all over the place....
    Not so rare after all!!!
    Once stuff starts fetching high prices it's amazing how much of it starts coming out of the woodwork. :)
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C
    Not so rare after all!!!
    Once stuff starts fetching high prices it's amazing how much of it starts coming out of the woodwork. :)
    The four basic laws of supply and demand:
    If demand increases and supply remains unchanged, then it leads to higher equilibrium price and higher quantity.
    If demand decreases and supply remains unchanged, then it leads to lower equilibrium price and lower quantity.
    If supply increases and demand remains unchanged, then it leads to lower equilibrium price and higher quantity.
    If supply decreases and demand remains unchanged, then it leads to higher equilibrium price and lower quantity.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyR
    In the pics the third hole down from the lug end of each strap seems to have some use / wear and tear. I thought generally NOS meant un-used?

Andy
    Possibly stored like this, although I'm struggling to see "use/wear & tear".

Picture from Watchworx, BTW...

Ah i hadnt thought about that i believe you are correct sir.

Andy

Andy

Im a leather worker and them straps ant that good as leather work goes, they are just half a hours work on a sewing machines by the look of them stamped out with templates and not really made with the best of leather not even hand made :| , but if some people have got that type of money and wont or think that they need them then fair play 8) i think that i made better for my watch be for i tuck the dogs out this morning 8) :wink:

Not about being gullible - will be a good buy for somebody with the same period watch.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

a bit of stainless steel for £70k or a bit of leather for £2.5, neither on the face of it seems worth it but add in a bit of history and a brand image then it makes more sense.

I would take those straps at double the price than Tracy Emin's log on a mattress

Quote Originally Posted by jegger
    a bit of stainless steel for £70k or a bit of leather for £2.5, neither on the face of it seems worth it but add in a bit of history and a brand image then it makes more sense.

I would take those straps at double the price than Tracy Emin's log on a mattress

I THINK THAT IV JUST SEEN THAT WORK OF ART IN A SKIP DOWN MY ROAD :lol: :lol:

I THINK THAT IV JUST SEEN THAT WORK OF ART IN A SKIP DOWN MY ROAD :lol: :lol:
    I don't know where she gets her mattresses from but even on the side of the road I've never seen them as bad as her's.

Whenever I start reading posts like this having a dig at a brand or brand fanboy (perfectly acceptible BTW), I try to guess how many posts it takes to mention the word "Rolex" even though they weren't mentioned by the OP.
    Fifth reply today, later than usual :shock:

Craftsman

It is genuine Nickel lets not forget.

Master

These people saying that they will increase the value of a 'full set', surely they won't increase it by the amount being spent on the strap?

Blog Entries

Tracey Emin - pah! My mate did a log on his mattress years before Ms Emin and did he get people throwing money his way? Not a bean! Not so much as a 'thank you' from his landlady :roll:

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LukeBird
    These people saying that they will increase the value of a 'full set', surely they won't increase it by the amount being spent on the strap?
    Correct, the added value will be much more than the value of the strap alone :wink:

Imagine a pair of vases or whatever on the Antiques Roadshow, one is worth one say £2000 but a pair is worth £5000. So it is with any 'vintage' watch. Completeness is everything and early 'Pre-V' straps command this sort of money, (they obviously wouldn't sell if they didn't) as do boxes, bezel inserts, dials etc from other well known brands.

The difference is that a dial might last forever in use. A strap will last a year or two.

Quote Originally Posted by barneygumble
    The difference is that a dial might last forever in use. A strap will last a year or two.
    They're not for wearing, they're for putting in a safe & occasionally looking at, whilst wearing white lint-free gloves & a surgical mask & smock.
    ______

​Jim.

They're not for wearing, they're for putting in a safe & occasionally looking at, whilst wearing white lint-free gloves & a surgical mask & smock.
    Sounds like fun. :)

I think that's the sad truth of it. However, it's wrong to single out Panerai collectors as they're hardly on their own.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by shadowman
    Correct, [bthe added value will be much more than the value of the strap alone[/b]. :wink:

Imagine a pair of vases or whatever on the Antiques Roadshow, one is worth one say £2000 but a pair is worth £5000. So it is with any 'vintage' watch. Completeness is everything and early 'Pre-V' straps command this sort of money, (they obviously wouldn't sell if they didn't) as do boxes, bezel inserts, dials etc from other well known brands.
    Surely they'd sell for more money then?
    I guess I'm just not enough of a collector to appreciate buying a strap to not use.

Master
    Blog Entries

Correct, [bthe added value will be much more than the value of the strap alone[/b]. :wink:

Surely they'd sell for more money then?
    I guess I'm just not enough of a collector to appreciate buying a strap to not use.

Once again, though hardly in the same league i appreciate, some artifacts are so rare and precious as to not be subjected to daylight or the air on a permanent basis. Everything is relative to a collector of anything. As posted previously, these straps will just compete sets or allow an existing owner to wear the originals they already have, knowing they now have an authentic replacement or possibly vice-versa if the fitted strap is known to be original to the head and is desired to be 'saved' by the current owner/custodian.

Few of us get involved in say, £50K+ value watches, so our mindset is different to those that do :wink:

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Optimum
    I think that's the sad truth of it. However, it's wrong to single out Panerai collectors as they're hardly on their own.
    Agreed, bakelite GMT bezel anyone? What about an LV conversion kit for £800 which Rolex will remove and charge you for the standard bits. Collectors are strange, but are one of the reasons we have places like this :drunken:

Master

Once again, though hardly in the same league i appreciate, some artifacts are so rare and precious as to not be subjected to daylight or the air on a permanent basis. Everything is relative to a collector of anything. As posted previously, these straps will just compete sets or allow an existing owner to wear the originals they already have, knowing they now have an authentic replacement or possibly vice-versa if the fitted strap is known to be original to the head and is desired to be 'saved' by the current owner/custodian.

Few of us get involved in say, £50K+ value watches, so our mindset is different to those that do :wink:
    I fully appreciate your point, I just don't "get" it. Artwork or antiquities at least have the benefit of being a delight for the eyes everyday.
    I don't however agree with the money side of things, that's just a function of your spending power; you could have the same view if you were collecting 'full sets' for a Casio, or a Patek Philippe.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C
    Not so rare after all!!!
    The four basic laws of supply and demand:
    If demand increases and supply remains unchanged, then it leads to higher equilibrium price and higher quantity.
    If demand decreases and supply remains unchanged, then it leads to lower equilibrium price and lower quantity.
    If supply increases and demand remains unchanged, then it leads to lower equilibrium price and higher quantity.
    If supply decreases and demand remains unchanged, then it leads to higher equilibrium price and lower quantity.
    I miss the auto-inflating relation between price and diserability of Veblen goods as well as the perceived value of the image of this.
    May be somenoe eloquent and clever can fit in something about tulips too.
    Don“t forget that the equilibrium is being maintained by a State enforced commercial monopoly.

All this about Cartierised sabotage dive tools made famous by two Hollywood muscle men....

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Optimum
    True but there are also those who chuck a load in a fish-bowl. Dry off-course.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BSB

Tracey Emin - pah! My mate did a log on his mattress years before Ms Emin and did he get people throwing money his way? Not a bean! Not so much as a 'thank you' from his landlady :roll:
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sandisk7
    You can find an undistinguishable home made one with handcrafted bronze buckle on HWF for just over 100 pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla
    Quote Originally Posted by sandisk7
    You can find an undistinguishable home made one with handcrafted bronze buckle on HWF for just over 100 pounds.
    Except it's not original & that originality is what these collectors are paying for.
    ______

​Jim.

Panerai are the prefect example that money does not mean good taste.
    I'm just a very naughty boy.

Good deals with- VINSTINK, kevkojak, Optimum, Omegary, seikoking, acg, SPEEDY, kfman, Card Shark, wajhart, Jot, danboy, zenomega, gaz64, minke, Mal52, Alas, norfolkngood, Sparky, rdwiow, mrteatime, gravedodger, joeytheghost, lordoftheflies, Silver Hawk, Filterlab, brooksy, marmisto, Fray Bentos, Bootsy, Harvey69, Mantisgb, bristolboozer, Jedadiah, newtohorology, Zephod, jimm1, Draygo, Raptor.

I may have forgot one or two, apppologies.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I take it he didn't manage to actually sell any of those!