closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Street Photography from TZ members?

Scanned prints, not very good qualilty I'm afraid as my scanner is getting old.

A couple from Marrakech, taken with an Olympus XA

And a few taken with a FED 2

An interesting set. I especially like the first few, they have lovely lighting, subdued colours and the movement is good.
    Nigel

Blog Entries

Street Photography from TZ members?

Manchester earlier tonight...

The former BBC site

z

Banned

Banned

You do all know that street photography and photography that contains streets are two different things, right?
    Last edited by learningtofly; 27th February 2013 at 10:37.

Banned
    Afaik theres no rule that requires the genre to have shots of people in it like something out of a leenks random post thread. Streets themselves can communicate, much like railway tracks, and i yhink ate a fair part of street photography.

If however you feel the genre ought to be more closely defined do go ahead and explain whats in and whats out.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    Afaik theres no rule that requires the genre to have shots of people in it like something out of a leenks random post thread. Streets themselves can communicate, much like railway tracks, and i yhink ate a fair part of street photography.

If however you feel the genre ought to be more closely defined do go ahead and explain whats in and whats out.
    No, I don't think that's correct, Josh. It's quite easy to search for definitions quite extensively online, and pretty much any authority on the subject indicates that the basic requirement is to shoot candid subjects within an urban context; in the same way, any aknowledged street photographers I know of adopt that approach.

That said, it's not exactly a major issue, and a nice photo is a nice photo.

Blog Entries

Street Photography from TZ members?

I'm with LTF on this & realise my 2nd shot above doesn't fit the remit, however , I was struggling to decide in which thread it should be posted.

It isn't quite an urban fragment & we don't have an 'urban wasteland' thread... Yet ;)

z

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    No, I don't think that's correct, Josh. It's quite easy to search for definitions quite extensively online, and pretty much any authority on the subject indicates that the basic requirement is to shoot candid subjects within an urban context; in the same way, any aknowledged street photographers I know of adopt that approach.

That said, it's not exactly a major issue, and a nice photo is a nice photo.
    We shall have to agree to disagree. Look at Atget's work - very little of which is people based and tell me that is not street photography.

Edit: that said i'm not pretending for a moment that my quickie G&D snaps are anything more than a bit of fun which I thought might be amusing to the folks here for obvious reasons!
    Last edited by Josh B; 27th February 2013 at 09:43.

We shall have to agree to disagree. Look at Atget's work - very little of which is people based and tell me that is not street photography.

Edit: that said i'm not pretending for a moment that my quickie G&D snaps are anything more than a bit of fun which I thought might be amusing to the folks here for obvious reasons!
    ...and let's not worry about it anyway. Ultimately, anything that invigorates this sub-forum (which has been much more active of late) has got to be a good thing.

Banned
    I'm not worried at all - its a rare delight to discuss matters of interest with like minded people! Even if we have different views, or indeed sepecially so, otherwise it'd be a bit like a forum on Timezone: Look at my Rolex dudes, followed by 27 Awesome bro inane comments!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WingTsun View Post
    I just wish you and Tony would proof read your posts. It's too early in the morning to decipher or translate.
    I am terribly sorry for the transposition of the "s" and"e" in my above post.

Master

I like the textures in the first, the humour in the second and the pov of the third.
    Nigel

Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    Subject, composition and tones in this shot are spot on for me.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post

Love this shot, so much to look at!

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Love this shot, so much to look at!
    Thanks! This is probably one of my best shots from the Vietnam shots I've been through. Its got a bit of everything that typifies the country. I actually don't remember taking the shot! All I know is from the time stamp it must have been in Hanoi!

I've posted this link elsewhere in DP, but here it is again, a good read for anyone who takes to the streets with a camera.....

http://www.thomasleuthard.com/Book/

Master
    I've posted this link elsewhere in DP, but here it is again, a good read for anyone who takes to the streets with a camera.....

Some great tips and info there. Brilliant Flickr photostream.

This thread is bringing back my urge to buy an x100!!

Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    Some great tips and info there. Brilliant Flickr photostream.
    Indeed, that stuff on Flickr is fantastic. The composition and tones are perfection.

Master

i would agree with this - to me , street photography is anything interesting on the streets - which may or may not involve people.

here is an (old) example of what i mean.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Perhaps not street photography proper as it is 70 or 80 feet above pavement level, but I snapped this behind the clock of the Musée d'Orsay using a Rollei 35T with Fuji Superia 200.

Blog Entries
    More a path than a street - but by street I meant candid capture of strangers...

I've called this one "The Tortoise & the Hare"

z
    Last edited by zelig; 5th April 2013 at 18:00.

Master
    It doesn't bother me at all what people want to post but I am with LTF on the definition thing, although really that is more about what makes a great street photograph. Pictures of the streets/buildings etc. without an emotional context that involves the people that use them is more urban landscape to me. Maybe I am guilty of taking the definition too literally which is why I have posted so little in this thread.

Busker season is almost upon us.......

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    Perhaps not street photography proper as it is 70 or 80 feet above pavement level, but I snapped this behind the clock of the Musée d'Orsay using a Rollei 35T with Fuji Superia 200.

That's a great shot.

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    More a path than a street - but by street I meant candid capture of strangers...

I've called this one "The Tortoise & the Hare"

z

Nice one! Love the tones.

Hey Bob He's a regular on High Row in Darlington

Rod
    Last edited by Rod; 6th April 2013 at 20:48.

Blog Entries
    Nice one! Love the tones.
    Thanks M - it really was a lucky shot - taken from the hip & from behind
    So rotated a bit and cropped to get this shot.

z

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Hey Bob He's a regular on High Row in Darlington

Rod
    Haven't seen him in Durham since I took that shot a couple of years ago Rod. By chance there was a piper who looked very like him in town today, but he was wearing a bright red tartan, whereas the chap in my shot was in a greeny blue colour.

Afternoon

Not been in here for ages but some great threads going on and some superb pics so thought I'd contribute.

Here's a few from the last couple of months.

Kabul

Basra

West Qurna, Iraq

Blog Entries
    Some nice shots there - like the way you have the 2 guys by the roadside in Kabul.
    Have you considered a crop - to draw you into the shot more ? ...

z
    Last edited by zelig; 8th April 2013 at 08:28.

Hey zelig

I've tried a number of crops and whilst you gain by bringing the focus to the guys, I think you lose with the context of the shot. Obviously we all have different opinions though, it's all good! It's a refugee camp in Kabul, without the background I think you lose the life going on, the young kid, bleakness of the muddy ground, the cold with everyone wrapped up but I really think the amount of people shows that this isn't an isolated view, it's full of people living like this.

Mat

I also liked the Kabul shot a lot, and thought it would benefit from a crop, but not as severe, so as to still show how the two roadside sellers were in the middle of a drab landscape. I also had a play with it and will post the result if you like.

Master
    My view would be not to crop the Kabul, (Roadside sellers). image at all

There is so much in the original image that if worthy of consideration and needs to be shown

(I find that an interesting exercise with cropped shots, particularly when taken with RF cameras, (when using a fixed "35mm FOV lens"), is to go back after a few months and review the crop and decide if you would do it again, I find 9 times out of 10 that I move back closer to the original image)

I think* I'm in the 'no-crop' camp on the Kabul pic. Whilst I don't care too much for the existing image cutting into the people on the right I don't see how you could lose them easily in a crop, also I think the placement of the hut is needed by the space on the left.

*Having said that, I'd like to see magirus's suggestion first!

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Blog Entries
    Fair comments guys - I was only trying to crop a bit - but the number of focal points (people to the right & left) in the shot made it really tricky to get a crop that 'worked'. So maybe best left as is.
    I'd be interested to see other crops though :)

z

For me it had too much blown sky, which I found distracting. Also the central figures needed to be more central to balance the shot and draw the eye to the main subjects. All IMHO of course, these things are very subjective.

Of course it is subjective, an image to me is about far more than the final result, it's about the environment, the risks maybe. They are obviously things that will resonate with me because I was there. I suppose a successful image can pass some of those feeling to the viewer, this image obviously only prompts the viewer to want to alter it, that makes it less than successful I suppose!

All discussion on an image is positive, even if it criticises, I guess I'm surprised it didn't prompt a discussion on the circumstances of the shot, the people in it, the environment or why it was taken. Has nobodies interest been piqued further than whether the focus is central enough?

Mat

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mjrichardson View Post
    ... Has nobodies interest been piqued further than whether the focus is central enough? Mat
    Kind of what I meant by the number of 'focal points' & why it is difficult to crop - you could easily have 3 (good) images from that one shot ?
    Maybe that's a reason not to crop ?

z

We normally discuss photographic stuff in here rather than social and/or political issues, so my mistake there for assuming otherwise. My tweaks were (hopefully) to retain your message but from a different viewpoint.
    Last edited by magirus; 7th April 2013 at 22:52.

We normally discuss photographic stuff in here rather than social and/or political issues, so my mistake there for assuming otherwise.
    Ahh, everything I love about the internet right there in that sentence, well done!

Everyone has different styles, whilst I think it's great that people look at images and think how they would do it themselves had they been there or offer advice on how to improve or alter in some way, i think it's also important to look at what the owner has decided to post and try to understand what it is they are looking to say. I'm not suggesting that there needs to be a political or social discussion, I'm just suggesting that maybe the first thought shouldn't necessarily be how the image could be changed.

This one page has vastly different styles on it, some are very focused with a single point of interest and no external context, some are full of life and have varying points of interest, all mean one thing to the photographer and will mean something entirely different to every single person who looks upon them with no emotional attachment. Interestingly, one of my concerns with the image was that the guy looking at the camera was too central rather than not being central enough, I would have preferred to have had that focus off to the side a little, allowing the viewer to move across the image rather than just focus on the centre.

I believe the one crop of my image shows an interesting view but to me personally it loses far more than it gains, it's good to see Zeligs view though and it's entirely valid. I stand by my previous statement though, it's obviously not a successful image because the message is being lost behind the processing where as my intention was for it to be entirely about the people and how they are living.

I'll post some more to see if I can get across what I am visioning in a better way.

Thanks for looking!

Mat

I think this is an interesting discussion, and one that's possibly worthy of it's own thread.

Speaking as someone who in the past has posted alternative versions of another person's photo, I have mulled over the issue (prior to this thread appearing) and have decided that it's not the thing to do. Well, unless invited to do so by the originator of the image, that is. I'm not sure if this a commonly accepted protocol or not, but it's certainly my opinion.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I think this is an interesting discussion, and one that's possibly worthy of it's own thread.

Speaking as someone who in the past has posted alternative versions of another person's photo, I have mulled over the issue (prior to this thread appearing) and have decided that it's not the thing to do. Well, unless invited to do so by the originator of the image, that is. I'm not sure if this a commonly accepted protocol or not, but it's certainly my opinion.
    Fair point - I didn't intend to start a lengthy debate on the rights & wrongs - hence the phraseology used - 'have you considered...'
    I'm always open to suggestions & advice on my shots - I don't have to act upon them - but can be interesting to see others' viewpoints.
    So, apologies Matt if it offended.

As this is a digital photography forum, maybe we could volunteer a few shots in a new 'where to crop' thread ?
    I reckon between us we could come up with some interesting & unique PP images from the same shot.

In fact here it is - please contribute, I reckon it has the potential to be an interesting thread.

z
    Last edited by zelig; 8th April 2013 at 09:29.

Master
    Here's a few snaps I like, not up to the high standard on here, but I certainly appreciate the discretely caught moment...

All from Turkey.

Not a street at all, but I love this one...

Master
    The two guys with the bike in front of the boats is a really great shot Ant.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NJH View Post
    The two guys with the bike in front of the boats is a really great shot Ant.
    Cheers! I got a slightly better composed one, but they'd noticed me by then...

Master

DSC_2392 by Maris Ulmkalns, on Flickr

Street photography with horology content for tz

DSC_2382 by Maris Ulmkalns, on Flickr

DSC_2933 by Maris Ulmkalns, on Flickr

DSC_2742 by Maris Ulmkalns, on Flickr

You'll get to recognise the roof in the last two and some previous photos of mine. Lots of great characters in Birmingham market.
    Last edited by Maris; 12th April 2013 at 23:06.