closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 82 of 162 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492132 ... LastLast
Results 4,051 to 4,100 of 8058

Thread: Anyone watched any good movies recently?

Quote Originally Posted by Morrissey View Post
    Kong -Skull Island. Worth a watch, better than I expected

7/10

mozza
    Just watched this today, and agree. Far better than I expected, and really quite entertaining. The retro-feel (and soundtrack) worked really well IMO.

Craftsman
    Going in style - worth a watch, good actors and funny moments.

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697 View Post
    The Salvation: A Danish cowboy movie with Eric Cantona and Rich from Skins. It's much better than it sounds!
    I watched that the other night too. Not bad at all.

The Man From The Future is on Netflux. A Brazilian film with the guy from Narcos - a little bit like Timecrimes, but more played for laughs. Entertaining sci-fi comedy.

I watched the original Treasure Island the other day, a gem made in 1950. What a turn Robert Newton does as Long John Silver! It's very sad to note that Bobby Driscoll, who played Jim Hawkins, had a successful career for a number of years but died at only 31 from the affects of substance abuse.
    F.T.F.A.

Journeyman
    i think i'm the only person to be disappointed with dunkirk... brilliant visually and the sound was excellent but i just don't think they did enough with it. brilliant historical subject which wasn't done justice for me

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I quite enjoyed Logan recently, about a 7.5 out of 10...

paves the way for the next round of x-men films

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Finally got around to American Sniper. What a great film! Was stuck on a plane and it made me almost completely forget I was on a flight!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    It follows has just been added to netflix. Great film

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    It follows has just been added to netflix. Great film
    Retro done right. You should try The Guest with Dan Stevens, not as good but well worth watching.

Quote Originally Posted by bigvic View Post
    Logan, not your average Marvel movie. Better!
    Watched that - and Wolverine - on a flight back from the Middle East last week. It was a far better film than I expected, even if my expectations were low.

Craftsman
    Watched Valerian last night, I was bored while missus enjoyed it in a popcorn kind of way.

The designs throughout the movie were brilliant though, and the opening was fantastic. Until it starts the story with avatar like natives. With magic animals. And pearls. I think the pearls were also magic.

Craftsman
    Watched District 9 the other day. Pretty decent film but is it an 8.0 IMDB rating ?!?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Ghost in the shell was pretty good, as was the zookeepers wife.

mike

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    War for the Planet of the Apes has received outstanding reviews across the board. I saw it yesterday and was underwelmed.
    As was I. It didn't flow and just seemed to be heading nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by gavsw20 View Post
    Watched District 9 the other day. Pretty decent film but is it an 8.0 IMDB rating ?!?
    Only an 8? It's in my top 10

Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    Only an 8? It's in my top 10
    Absolutely, one of my favourites.

District 9 is a movie that punches way above its weight. It would be a nailed-on classic with proper Hollywood backing and a recognisable "star". A genuine sci-fi gem with a much deeper lesson at heart. Love it.

Just watched "Pretty in Pink". Never got round to watching it which is strange as I am quite a big John Hughes/Brat Pack fan. Really enjoyed it and took me right back to when I first discovered those films.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandiloquence View Post
    Just watched "Pretty in Pink". Never got round to watching it which is strange as I am quite a big John Hughes/Brat Pack fan. Really enjoyed it and took me right back to when I first discovered those films.
    John Hughes films are fantastic, and despite being very American, cross the Atlantic surprisingly well.

He wrote or directed some of the defining teen films of the 80s (when I was a teenager). The Breakfast Club is probably my favourite, and I still watch it every few years. Ferris Bueller and Planes, Trains, and Automobiles are also very good.

Saw Stephen King's "The Dark Tower" Friday night with two of my sons (40 and 20). We all enjoyed it a lot.

Journeyman
    Dunkirk!! Awesome movie......

Blog Entries
    Icarus on Netflix. Documentary about an amateur cyclist who looks into how easy it would be to dope for a big race and ends up in the middle of a story that is far,far bigger than he was expecting.
    Very good if you have any interest in sport

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    Saw Stephen King's "The Dark Tower" Friday night with two of my sons (40 and 20). We all enjoyed it a lot.
    This is getting hammered in reviews, was really looking forward to it so hoping your right!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    I think I am the only one not watching "Power" on Netflix so I about to start that. Hope its a good as people are saying

Master
    I started watching Deepwater Horizon on Netflix. I was enjoying it but my son woke up which meant I had to cut it short

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    I started watching Deepwater Horizon on Netflix. I was enjoying it but my son woke up which meant I had to cut it short
    I spotted that on Netflix but, tbh, the whole BP/scapegoat thing and the way that BP has been crippled by bent legalists and politicians has left too much bad taste in my mouth. Since this is a US film I'm guessing it'll be more of the 'let's see how much blame we can put on that rich limey corporation'.

Instead I watched another one of those 'teenagers save the world' type films instead: Divergent

Low concentration film (I mean you don't have to tax you're brain to watch it) and the leading actress (don't know who she is but we, SMBO and myself, reckon she was only about 15) is easy on the eye and did look good in tight pants so it wasn't too much effort to stick it to the end. I'd rate it 6/10.

Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    Instead I watched another one of those 'teenagers save the world' type films instead: Divergent

Low concentration film (I mean you don't have to tax you're brain to watch it) and the leading actress (don't know who she is but we, SMBO and myself, reckon she was only about 15) is easy on the eye and did look good in tight pants so it wasn't too much effort to stick it to the end. I'd rate it 6/10.
    Shailene Woodley, born 1991, so was 21/22 in the first film, so don't feel guilty for perving over little girls.
    I quite enjoyed the first one, but the second and third instalments were pretty dire

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697 View Post
    The Salvation: A Danish cowboy movie with Eric Cantona and Rich from Skins. It's much better than it sounds!
    Based on your recommendation I rented this from iTunes and watched it the other night. I enjoyed it too, so thanks for that.

It does seem to have borrowed plot elements from just about every western ever made, but that's not necessarily a bad thing either. Some other reviews complained about the CGI, but as I watched it on my iPad I didn't notice any issues.

Craftsman
    Hidden Figures was rather great I have to say - the story of coloured ladies' largely unknown contribution to the space race in terms of mathematics and computer skills.

Do not, repeat do not go to see Valerian. Cara Delevigne was the best thing in it. It was diabolical.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by doctorj View Post
    Do not, repeat do not go to see Valerian. Cara Delevigne was the best thing in it. It was diabolical.
    Luc Besson hasn't made a decent film in many years.

This is not surprising. I'd really like someone to make an Iain M Banks film and give us some deep scifi.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by doctorj View Post
    Missus made me watch it

Deleted
    Last edited by Analogue; 15th September 2017 at 02:41.

Quote Originally Posted by Analogue View Post
    I can view the Three Colours in any order, but first time round I viewed Red, Blue, then White. If I had viewed in a different order I might not have stuck with it.
    What? You need to see Red last, as it pulls the three together with the ending. And also Red is the best of the bunch - a true masterpiece, you are saving the best till last. Could Irène Jacob be any lovelier?

Deleted
    Last edited by Analogue; 15th September 2017 at 02:41.

As a big fan of the alien series I was very disappointed with Alien covenant.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    District 9 is a movie that punches way above its weight. It would be a nailed-on classic with proper Hollywood backing and a recognisable "star". A genuine sci-fi gem with a much deeper lesson at heart. Love it.
    Sure it would've been a dreary 'star vehicle' in that case, with a panel-friendly ending!

M

Master
    Lost city of Z, not at all what I was expecting but really enjoyed it and it has stayed with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Gold is a decent watch

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Sure it would've been a dreary 'star vehicle' in that case, with a panel-friendly ending!

M
    Yeah, I agree with that, what I meant was that in its existing form if it had a bigger name it would have received more attention and got the recognition it deserves.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Morning Wood View Post
    As a big fan of the alien series I was very disappointed with Alien covenant.
    Agree. Prometheus was intriguing and entertaining. Covenant was so plodding and predictable.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Stealing Cars. This film surprised me, good cast, and great performance from the lead role.

Just watching Wonder Woman, that Gal Gadot is a bit nice eh?!
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Re-watched Interview with a Vampire this afternoon - despite its detractors I always did and still do really like it.

Going to watch Lars von Trier's Antichrist again shortly... wish me luck!!!

Just re-watched L.A. Confidential for the umpteenth time. Love that film to bits. Great cast and performances and great period details.

District 9 is one of my top 10 films. I think the lack of the Hollywood budget and the use of actors like Sharlto Copley really make it a punchy film. I've waited 8 years for Christopher Johnson's return but, according to the directors, it doesn't look likely to happen. Shame really.

"Unbroken "
    An inspired war film, based on a true story. Even though an aircrash into the sea, and a Horrendous Japanese POW camp, he comes back to Japan in his 80s to run with the Olympic torch!

Master
    Watched Arrival on Amazon yesterday, didn't expect much from it, but thoroughly enjoyed it. It's was very absorbing and well acted,

Also had the misfortune of watching Annabelle Creation in the cinema the other night, oh dear

Cheers
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Grandiloquence View Post
    If you get the chance, the documentary 'Don't You Forget About Me' was a nice trip down memory lane; not the best documentary but poignant given the timing of the doc and John Hughes passing and it touches on how much the films of Hughes effected a generation.