closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 6 of 162 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone watched any good movies recently?

Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    Just watched "Dredd" on our projector, sound cranked to 60 on the Onkyo, it was really good, much better than the previous effort.
    I want to watch Dredd, but though it was made for 3D. Is it worth a watch in 2D? I saw the trailers and it looks great.

Anyone watched any good movies recently?

Quote Originally Posted by Atlantic View Post
    I want to watch Dredd, but though it was made for 3D. Is it worth a watch in 2D? I saw the trailers and it looks great.
    I would imagine it is worth a watch if you like that sort of thing. You should also watch "the raid"

Now The hobbit in high frame rate 3d .... thats pretty visually stunning

[QUOTE=jivaka;2559495]I would imagine it is worth a watch if you like that sort of thing. You should also watch "the raid"

PI thought the Raid was overrated. Dredd was better.

Quote Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
    I also like it, a lot. An unusually discreet manner to present a very hard content.
    By the end of it you really did know the characters which makes it especially hard hitting.

- - - Updated - - -

Saw Sinister with Ethan Hawke. Really creeped me out. Worth a watch.

Upside down is quite good. Good story, acting and it has a funny two world gravity "twist":-)

Martin

Craftsman

If you like Documentaries.....

...I just finished "Queen of Versailles". If this movie doesn't reinforce negative stereotypes of Americans I don't know what will. That being said, a very well made film.

Master
    Just got the second Sherlock Holmes one for tonight, been meaning to get it for ages after enjoying the first one so much.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Atlantic View Post

Watched 2d version, looks fantastic, never thought they will make good Dredd movie. Best action movie this year for me (Batman excluded).

Watches Killer elite based on the Feather men really good

Quote Originally Posted by watchesofwales View Post
    I was also pleasantly surprised by this. With Jason statham in it, I thought it would be another pure action movie with little substance. Glad it wasn't,

- - - Updated - - -

I was also pleasantly surprised by this. With Jason statham in it, I thought it would be another pure action movie with little substance. Glad it wasn't,

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Another thumbs up for Dredd. Much better than expected (saw it in 2d)

'When 8 Bells Toll'. Watched yesterday. Good stuff.

Watched 'Bag of Bones' last night on the tele, what a pile of shite that was.

Looking forward to seeing Dredd after a lot of good hype, lets hope it lives up to it

Moon is on right now. I'd forgotten what a great film that was. Worth catching on iplayer or whatever.

Blog Entries

Just watched Ill Manors - brutal, but worth watching.

z

Craftsman
    Chronicle. A nice take on Superhero films. Outstanding. Also saw Ted, and though it was funny, not as hilarious as people had made out. Still, Mila Kunis though... :->

The wife got Magic Mike for Chrimbo, she insisted we watch it thinking she was going to love and I was going to hate it. (It's about male strippers) it turned out to be a retry good film good performances all round and directed by Steven Soderburgh.

Craftsman
    Try justice with nicolas cage,watched it on a flight with emirates Fantastic action movie.

thanks
    tony

Really like Nicolas Cage but don't see him as a hard man. His persona is all wrong for that kind of character. Thought he was perfect in 'Raising Arizona'. Really funny film.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
    Thought that there might be also a thread dedicated to good movies, as they seem to be rather rare nowadays.

I re-watched '12 angry men' (the original, 1957 version) and I'm amazed how good a movie can be when it's about an excellent script, impeccable acting and a complete lack of special effects :)

Looking forward to your recommendations.
    I found this thread a bit late so apologies for going right back to the OP, I watched '12 angry men' as part of a training course recently, I agree that it was brilliantly scripted and acted and just shows what can be achieved without special effects, or any type of location.

Just watched The Dambusters again. What a bloody good film. Those throbbing Merlin's are just orgasmic !

Banned
    We have just watched The last house on the street, it stars Jennifer Lawrence. The wife jump around half a dozen times, but while it was fairly enjoyable it panned out to a predictable ending. 6 out of 10.

Reacher movie?

Is this any good, worth watching?

Searching for Sugarman

After missing the UK cinema release, yesterday we finally managed to see Searching for Sugarman in a Kino in Berlin. It's the really engaging, almost unbelievable, story of a seemingly unsuccessful singer called Sixto Rodriguez and the music is absolutely fabulous.

A brief summary taken from Wikipedia
    After failing to make an impact in North America, he gave up his career as a musician. However, although he was relatively unknown in his home country, by the mid-'70s, his albums were starting to gain airplay in South Africa, Botswana, Zimbabwe and, probably due to the influence of South African migrants, in New Zealand and Australia.

In 1991, both his albums were released on CD in South Africa for the first time. His fame in South Africa was completely unknown to him, until 1998 when his eldest daughter came across a website dedicated to him. In 1998, he played his first South African tour, playing six concerts in front of thousands of fans.
    And for those unfamiliar with the music here's a sample

In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Master
    Enjoyed this gem even more on second viewing ...

dear-wendy-movie-poster-2005-1020339747.jpg
    Last edited by Dapper; 2nd January 2013 at 12:55.

Just watched this over breakfast.Understated dialogue and characters,no daft sex scenes and not a "dude" or high five in sight.Worth a look

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    This Evening its ....Live & Let Die

One of the best!

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows. Good, classy adaptation that fell short in no department. Worth watching.

Journeyman
    Just watched Lincoln with Daniel Day Lewis.

Was really good if you like anything to do with Civil War, bit deep in parts but if you know the background it is good.

Craftsman
    I finally watched Avengers Assemble and loved it. Maybe not for everyone, but I have seen Thor, Captain America, Iron Man, Hulk and so on, so this coming together has been a long time coming. Plenty of wit and action, and Scarlet in a black catsuit! Can't wait for the next one, though it will be a while off yet.

I watched Dredd last night. As i was a huge 2000AD fan back in the 80's, i was very impressed with this film. I hope they make a Strontium Dog film one day, especially in the style of 'The Final Solution'. The artwork in that story was amazing.
    Also saw Flight, definitely worth a watch, Denzel in form again in this movie. Some very interesting issues touched upon in this film- 2 thumbs up from me.

Watches the Hobbit in 3D with the wife. Great movie!

Master
    'A Mighty Wind' by Christopher Guest. Sublime!

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper View Post
    'A Mighty Wind' by Christopher Guest. Sublime!

Best watched with the volume at 11

Puss in boots - well done, unexpectedly amusing.

Dredd - very well done, impressive. If the hero would have had a minimal mimic, it would've been even more convincing.

The Three Musketeers - based on the 30 minutes I managed to watch, it is idiotic to the degree of inducing a complete vacancy of the mind. In the end it almost drove me to anarchism

Dredd is excellent and the helmet stays on throughout! Read 2000AD from issue one 'back in the day' and the film matches my memory of Dredd perfectly.

Avengers Assemble is also brilliant; still put a smile on my face 2nd time round too!

The latest Spiderman isn't quite in the same league but is well worth a watch.

Finally, my comic-book heroes are getting the films they deserve...

Quote Originally Posted by samswatch View Post
    Is this any good, worth watching?
    In a word, yes. It's not perfect as they have to try to give a picture of Jack Reacher (which took 6 previous books), run through a fairly interesting plot but get it into a film format where it loses a fair bit and isn't completely faithful to the book. I thought (before seeing it) that Tom Cruise would be seriously miscast but (apart from size) he pretty well pulled it off. The action scenes seem to be more realistic than in many major films these days, i.e. fight scenes are short and brutal and car chase is pretty genuine. I enjoyed it, my brother - in - law reckons one of the best films he has seen. I'm sure there will be other viewpoints but it was a good effort given the constraints.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock View Post
    Dredd is excellent and the helmet stays on throughout! Read 2000AD from issue one 'back in the day' and the film matches my memory of Dredd perfectly.
    The only slip i noticed in Dredd, was Anderson having Anderson on her name badge. I always recollect her having PSi on her name badge. The stories i remember reading with Anderson in were after her training and becoming a judge- can any 2000AD/Dredd freaks confirm or explain this please?
    Let's just see what happens in the hopefully to appear sequel.

I watched the original Girl With The Dragon Tattoo which was on TV the other night. I thought it was really good.

Quote Originally Posted by mattk View Post
    I watched the original Girl With The Dragon Tattoo which was on TV the other night. I thought it was really good.
    I saw it a couple of months back in Swedish with subtitles, I really enjoyed it.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Lawless is a very good movie. It's based on a true story.

Craftsman
    I want to see Dredd, as I have heard good things about it. But it didn't do well in the US at all. So I am not sure why. Anyway. Saw the Spider-Man reboot, and liked it. Different enough from the recent one to be worth it.

Craftsman
    The wife toddled off to bed early last night so I decided to watch Snowtown again. Still a great watch and just my kind of film.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mattk View Post
    The better of the two versions!

Craftsman

Cloud Atlas

I've just seen Cloud Atlas. I'd highly recommend it, I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like this. Its 3 hours long but the time flew by. It was clearly a very ambitious piece of film making, crossing genres, spanning centuries and with actors each playing a multitude of roles. It could be said to be trying too hard at times screaming "give me an Oscar" but it was very enjoyable.

Marc.

Just finished another round of Bill Murray's Groundhog Day

Saw The Prestige last night. Had heard good things generally.

The film was nicely filmed and stylish, as you'd expect from a Christopher Nolan film but I found the constant 'twists' a bit annoying/confusing and the introduction of effectively Sci-Fi/make-believe into an otherwise realistic film, where up until that point you're wondering "how does he do it?" kinda ruined it.

2.5 stars out of 5.

Blog Entries
    another big dredd fan here although i really wasn't looking forward to the film at all.when it was announced who was plying dredd i mistook it as keith urban who it turns out is an aussie country and western singer (drokk it),so i've avoided it until now - turns out it's the bloke from star trek

thought it was quite good i really would have preferred to see some of the classic 2000ad villains turn up - the only other reference to 2000ad i spotted was some 'chopper' graffiti with the smiley face.
    was very,very similar to 'the raid' though,almost identical but very enjoyable - fingers crossed they do another,hopefully with some dark judges action

also watched 'the hobbit' which was far better than i was expecting,definitely better than the first lord of the rings film.
    lots of action even though they do spend half the film running away.excellent film

cheers,mick

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by scarto View Post
    Saw The Prestige last night. Had heard good things generally.

The film was nicely filmed and stylish, as you'd expect from a Christopher Nolan film but I found the constant 'twists' a bit annoying/confusing and the introduction of effectively Sci-Fi/make-believe into an otherwise realistic film, where up until that point you're wondering "how does he do it?" kinda ruined it.

2.5 stars out of 5.
    Yep, it definitely has a couple too many twists in it...I agree they stretch the realms of reality too.

Thomas Reid
    We finally got around to watching Inception last night. Mildly entertaining. Of course, thinking that you could have a criterion (the totem) by which you could tell that you weren't dreaming is a nonsense. Even if it acted in some particular way only when not dreaming, one could always dream that it acted in that way.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I watched MIB 3 today, probably the best sci-fi type of movie I've seen. Kinda funny too.