closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 59 of 162 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169109159 ... LastLast
Results 2,901 to 2,950 of 8058

Thread: Anyone watched any good movies recently?

Grand Master
    Watched Hateful 8 today. Very good
    RIAC

John Wick - really good film

Watched The Martian this evening

Wasn't expecting much but was pleasantly surprised, well made and entertaining

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post

Looking forward to seeing The Martian, have heard nothing but good things.

Journeyman
    The Hateful Eight
    Typical Tarantino no more to say

Just finished watching (being punished) hot tub time machine 2, omg what a load of poo

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    Just finished watching (being punished) hot tub time machine 2, omg what a load of poo
    The worst thing is that you did it with your own free will!

The Drop - Tom Hardy
    American Sniper - Bradley Cooper
    Lone Survivor - Mark Wahlberg
    Seven Psychopaths - Walken/Farrell etc...
    Last edited by MuRph77; 5th February 2016 at 19:53.

I watched Spotlight this evening. It's about the Boston Globe reporting on the Church abuse scandals in Boston.
    It has a strong cast and tells a powerful story.
    It is definitely worth a watch, just not one for a first date on Valentine's Day.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MuRph77 View Post
    The Drop - Tom Hardy
    American Sniper - Bradley Cooper
    Lone Survivor - Mark Wahlberg
    Seven Psychopaths - Walken/Farrell etc...
    +1 on seven psychopaths. I liked it.

Watches Captain Phillips last night, not that new (2013) I think but a really good watch.

99 Homes. Good film with a unique story plot.

Last night we watched the original Hitchcock version of the 39 Steps. Old but still gold.
    http://www.imdb.org/title/tt0026029/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    I watched John Wick the other day....typical Keanu etc etc. That said,and assuming you switch of your brain cells and just watch it for what it is,I quite enjoyed it.

Also,I went to see The Revenant yesterday. I really enjoyed it. I always think Tom Hardy does a good job with whatever character he plays,and I thought Dicaprio was good in the main role,albeit it I sometimes thought he looked a bit too fresh faced,as it were,despite all the blood and mud.

Watched Fury on amazon prime

Good WW2 yarn and I enjoyed Pitts performance

(Watch trivia - his watch strap was made by Stevoestraps - liked the look of it so much Ive ordered one!)

The Raid: Redemption
    Pacific Rim
    Ip Man
    Suckerpunch
    City of God
    LA Confidential
    Snatch
    The Great Gatsby
    The Wolf of Wallstreet
    Toy Story 3

Watched Man Up last night. British rom-com with Simon Pegg and (the very good) Lake Bell.
    Funniest film we've seen in a while.

Master
    Continuing my Werner Herzog theme (yes, I have the Box Set of his films!)

IMDb - Aguirre: The Wrath of God

The Guardian - Aguirre: The Wrath of God - #11 best brthouse film of all time

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Literally JUST watched this (credits are still rolling) and I thought it was superb......

Well worth a watch and the cinematography is immense!
    Totally agree. One of the best movies I have seen in the last couple of years.

Master
    Thought " Trumbo " very good.

Quote Originally Posted by maccer View Post
    Elite Squad - very good Brazilian movie about elite police squad in Rio.
    Great film. Quite refreshing to watch something of this style in a language other than English, although you never get quite the same story/character development with subtitles. The sequel isn't too bad either.

Watched legend last night,I thought Tom hardy was great playing both krays,totally different to the Krays with the kemps in

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kbw- View Post
    Looking forward to seeing The Martian, have heard nothing but good things.
    Yes it's very good. Really enjoyed it. Not quite sure why it was up for a Comedy Oscar though (or was it Golden Globes can't remember, can't be bothered to google)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    What were you expecting....the 1st version as mildy amusing as a silly one off....second one was always going to be a massive steaming pile of.....

Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post
    Watched legend last night,I thought Tom hardy was great playing both krays,totally different to the Krays with the kemps in
    Watched it on Friday night and thoroughly enjoyed it. I think it probably portrayer them as nicer people than they actually were though!

We watched Everest in 3D last night too and that was an entertaining film; great scenery and a taste of what climbers put themselves through to climb these peaks.

Just back from Deadpool.

Very good, well worth a look. Not child friendly at all.

So far this week Zoolander and Taxi Driver. Zoolander was harmless fun that didn't take itself too, or indeed at all, seriously though I can't say that I'm going to run out and pay full price to see the sequel anytime soon. I'm ashamed to say that I've never seen Taxi Driver and enjoyed it immensely - probably as one might expect. The whole package of cinematography, music, pace, the location and very strong performances really add up to the complete package - I suspect that it also very much belongs on the Films that have aged well thread however I haven't seen it before.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    So far this week Zoolander and Taxi Driver. Zoolander was harmless fun that didn't take itself too, or indeed at all, seriously though I can't say that I'm going to run out and pay full price to see the sequel anytime soon. I'm ashamed to say that I've never seen Taxi Driver and enjoyed it immensely - probably as one might expect. The whole package of cinematography, music, pace, the location and very strong performances really add up to the complete package - I suspect that it also very much belongs on the Films that have aged well thread however I haven't seen it before.
    That thread did add a lot of items to my mental list of Films I Really Ought To Have Seen.

Yes, Taxi Driver is on it

Master
    Watched Margin Call and The Big Short on recommendation from here, thanks. Liked Margin Call and recommend that, The big Short was okay but I had no liking as all/sympathy for the characters.

Recently watched "Won't Back Down" which is about Steve Peat the mountain bike downhiller, well shot and exciting film - probably only for those who like the adrenalin sports but a hidden gem for those that have missed it.
    http://www.wontbackdownfilm.com/

Clint"s finest ?

Very good piece on the , the-good-the bad- and -the- ugly, especially the 3 way stand off in the cemetery watched recently still keeps you hooked ..

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/201...d-and-the-ugly

Setting the alarm for 7am on a Sunday to go to the cinema means that the Berlinale is on!
    http://www.berlinale.de

This morning was to see the latest Isabelle Huppert film - L'Avenir. Absolutely fabulous, very funny and an excellent vehicle for Huppert (and her cat). Unfortunately we didn't get to see the premiere last night and had to make do with a 9:30 screening elsewhere this morning. 4 pieces of music in the entire film and undoubtedly the first two really struck in the way that they were inserted. A piece of Schubert sung by Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau when Huppert rushes back to Paris to look after her fairly histrionic and elderly mother and some Woody Guthrie played in a car when she's picked up from the train by a former student somewhere in the mountains. The main character is a philosophy teacher (well, obviously - it's French) and there's a few Rousseau texts about desire which are probably worth a thread in Watch Talk. The best scene in the entire movie concerns some flowers, a bin and an Ikea Frakta bag - I'm sure Schopenhauer could write several volumes just about that.

http://www.imdb.org/title/tt4120176/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

We saw YOUNG this week- the new Michael Caine film with Harvey Keitel and Jane Fonda
    I thought it was great, Mrs Goat preferred the Danish Girl last week, which I wasn't so keen on
    worth a watch!

Isn't that Youth, David? It's made by the same chap who made The Greaty Beauty, I think, with some similar themes. It's on our list as well.

Just watched 'mr poppers penguins' on tv. Typical Jim Carrey fodder, but must admit it's a thoroughly enjoyable family film, caught myself actually laughing at a few points.

Last night watched Simon Pegg in 'Fantastic fear of everything' kind of odd, but enjoyable enough

Brighty

Ashamed to admit I only just got around to watching Once Upon A Time In America, despite being a huge fan of Leone's westerns.

Needless to say, a masterpiece.

Currently streaming on Netflix.

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post

Just seen it
    Was really good

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Isn't that Youth, David? It's made by the same chap who made The Greaty Beauty, I think, with some similar themes. It's on our list as well.
    Eek, yes it's Youth!
    that's what 3/4 bottle of McPherson Shiraz does for you!
    Cheers Alan!

Apprentice
    Watched the hatefull 8 and even though some people slated it I think it was one of tarantinos best

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    I watched Pride & Predjudice & Zombies yesterday. It was complete nonsense. Regency Dandies trained In Japanese martial arts,corseted young ladies trained by Chinese monks,talking zombies and general silliness.

Loved it!

Master
    Watched Everest yesterday, def worth a watch IMO.

Banned
    Black sea on sky movies.

Good film in the afternoon.

Yesterday we watched Stickman! If you liked Gruffalo and Room on a Broom, you will love this :-)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Buchannon View Post
    I watched Spotlight this evening. It's about the Boston Globe reporting on the Church abuse scandals in Boston.
    It has a strong cast and tells a powerful story.
    It is definitely worth a watch, just not one for a first date on Valentine's Day.
    Totally agree with this. Saw it at the weekend and was a great watch. A really well told story with a great cast. John Slattery is in it - loved him from Mad Men and his character wasn't all that different here!

Master
    Deadpool - everything about the trailer made me hate it, and made me cringe.

But Mark Kermode (via the awesome Wittertainment podcast) said it was actually ok - and I do trust his criticism - so I went to watch it today...

...and actually quite enjoyed it!

And best of all it is 108 mins long, which is a relief in this age of 2.5hour long movies, especially the super-hero ones which seem to go on forever.

Anyway, if (like me) you were put off the trailer by the crass jokes and base humour, thinking this was just a teenage boy film (which, to be honest, it probably is), I'd say give it a go!

Zoolander No. 2 next, for which I have even lower expectations...

Master
    Ah another Kermode follower! Been listening for many, many years!

Anyway just got back fro watching Spotlight - about abuse in th Catholic Church in Boston which was exposed by the Boston Globe in 2002.

It was brilliant. Thoroughly gripping and a very old fashioned style of movie, the like we don't see much of any more... No glitz or unnecessary fluff... Just the story of investigative journalism. Very much like All The Presidents Men, which is very much a favourite movie of mine.

Obviously a tough subject and you won't come skipping out of the cinema but similarly it doesn't dwell on any of the gritty detail.. It tells you all you need to know without being overly explicit and tells the story in a very easy to follow way.

I highly recommend it.

(Edit) Sorry was posting from a mobile and didn't see there was already synopsis and comment on this very film just above mine. Glad I wasn't alone in thinking it was excellent though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chicaneuk View Post
    Ah another Kermode follower! Been listening for many, many years!
    HTJI.

Keep up the good work, Steve!

Went to watch The Lady in The Van on Sunday. Was more about visiting a local picturehouse in the next village for the first time following our move but also I liked the look of the trailer.

Maggie Smith was absolutely fantastic and loved the way the film portrayed Alan Bennett. A sad but wonderful film in my opinion. Oh and the picturehouse was glorious - didn't start the film till everyone was in and seated, and had a proper old style intermission with ice cream sellers. Brilliant experience.

Master
    Another vote for Deadpool, just really good fun!!

Quote Originally Posted by chicaneuk View Post

Anyway just got back fro watching Spotlight - about abuse in th Catholic Church in Boston which was exposed by the Boston Globe in 2002.

It was brilliant. Thoroughly gripping and a very old fashioned style of movie, the like we don't see much of any more... No glitz or unnecessary fluff... Just the story of investigative journalism. Very much like All The Presidents Men, which is very much a favourite movie of mine.

Obviously a tough subject and you won't come skipping out of the cinema but similarly it doesn't dwell on any of the gritty detail.. It tells you all you need to know without being overly explicit and tells the story in a very easy to follow way.

I highly recommend it.

(E.
    Great summary. I couldnt add anything else.