closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 51 of 162 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast
Results 2,501 to 2,550 of 8058

Thread: Anyone watched any good movies recently?

Blog Entries
    Just started watching 'The Killing', based on the Danish 'Forbrydelsen' (The Crime) - very bad for the tourist industry, but certainly creates a very bleak image of Seattle....

Last night we watched Dog Days (Hundstage) - bloody hell! I missed this the first time around in 2001 so decided to watch it last night without re-reading any reviews or the IMDB entry. "Don't worry" I said to SWMBO. "It's an Austrian film but it's not by Michael Haneke. It'll be fine." If you can imagine a dystopian, Viennese version of Robert Altman's Short Cuts you wouldn't be too far wide of the mark. At the end of it you can sort of understand that this was the country that gave birth to Josef Fritzl (not to mention one or two other notable historical figures) - coming to think of it the IMDB entry belonging to the director, Ulrich Seidl, says that his latest film, Im Keller, is "a documentary that reveals what its subjects do in their respective basements"...

Worth a watch but definitely not in front of the kids or their grandparents.
    http://www.imdb.org/title/tt0290661/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper View Post
    "Before the Devil Knows You're Dead" - superb!
    Yes, enjoyed that one.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Watched 'The Babadook' last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's an Australian horror movie about a creepy children's book that centres around the relationship between a mother and her young son. The performances from the 2 leads were great (especially the kid) and the horror was deftly handled, it never descended into the cheap tricks that so many modern horror films use. I've seen it compared to Polanski's 'Repulsion' and that seems a fair comparison, it shares that film's claustrophobic atmosphere and the wonderful tension that comes from not knowing if the characters are insane or really experiencing the terrors they're seeing.

Just watched 'Get on up' the James Brown biopic..... Bloody brilliant! If your a fan it's well worth watching...
    Cheers..
    Jase

Watched Edge Of Tomorrow earlier in the week. Thought that I would hate it but liked it so much I watched it again the following night.

Clever and funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Watched Edge Of Tomorrow earlier in the week. Thought that I would hate it but liked it so much I watched it again the following night.

Clever and funny.
    There's a joke in there somewhere

Spy was entertaining though I still don't like Miranda Hart, one of the co-stars.

The Man from U.N.C.L.E.

Just been to the flix to see 'The Man from U.N.C.L.E.'

Cracking film. Very stylish, good action, great soundtrack and doesn't take itself too seriously.

Guy Ritchie's done good with this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Train Wreck what a load of s++t
    Yes I agree, thought there was some singular funny moments, and liked the characters but it just didn't flow? Something missing.

Enjoyed "Chappie" recently , thought it was Jackman with a boxing robot, washy washy type crap!

Was wrong, its one of my favourite recent films, especially if you liked "district 9"

Anyone watched any good movies recently?

Hector and the search for happiness with Simon Pegg on Netflix UK. And This is where I leave you currently the premiere on sky movies this week.

Watched Paddington with my young niece over yesterday. Throughly enjoyed it!

Watched Oblivion last night,,,,not a bad effort at all.

Master
    Watched Troll Hunter last night. Love that film.

Watched the Theory of Everything last night, it was very good indeed.

Master
    Watched 'Woman In Gold' with Helen Mirren as the US based Austrian Jew trying to get back art that belonged to her family and was stolen by the Nazis.

True story and very watchable, good grown ups film. Need to see man from uncle now.
    Last edited by westberks; 31st August 2015 at 19:14.

We watched a movie called 'They Came Together' last night which I'd never heard of but which was great fun. It's a spoof of rom coms very much in the Airplane vein. Very silly indeed but lots of fun which one of the most unexpected and funny uses of the c-word I've heard in a while. Starred Paul Rudd (Ant-Man) and Amy Poehler (Parks and Recreation), both of whom were great.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by whatmeworry View Post
    There's a joke in there somewhere
    Didn't get this until I watched it too yesterday ;)

Quote Originally Posted by shania176 View Post
    Didn't get this until I watched it too yesterday ;)
    You will get it even quicker each time you watch it again - that's their plan

Master
    On September 5, 1941, "Citizen Kane" was released widely across the United States at "popular prices".
    RKO named the day - Citizen Kane Day.
    As good a reason to re-watch a classic.

Thomas Reid
    Yesterday was our 24th wedding anniversary. So, we took the day off and saw Minions at a matinee (then an early dinner). The film was clever and entertaining. I'll be dashed if I can see how young children, or young parents, for that matter, can get all the 1960s cultural references.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier View Post
    Yesterday was our 24th wedding anniversary. So, we took the day off and saw Minions at a matinee (then an early dinner). The film was clever and entertaining. I'll be dashed if I can see how young children, or young parents, for that matter, can get all the 1960s cultural references.

Best wishes,
    Bob
    Some films are very carefully crafted to appeal to all ages. And all the better for it.

I watched Dazed and Confused last night. Not seen it for years, but really enjoyed it. Some great muscle cars and trucks in it too.

Last Man Standing, for me last night.

Really enjoyed it.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master

Cool

Watched 45 with Tom Courtney and Charlotte Rampling,very good but maybe for the over 50's

Quote Originally Posted by hicksmat View Post
    Hector and the search for happiness with Simon Pegg on Netflix UK. And This is where I leave you currently the premiere on sky movies this week.
    Watched Hector last night, very good. Thanks.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Watched Hector last night, very good. Thanks.

Went to the premiere of Legend. Yes it's another British gangster movie but I thought this was a cut above. Tom Hardy gives a bravura performance as both Kray twins, the script is strong (very funny too in a Tarantino 'can't believe I'm laughing at this' way), as is the art direction. Not one to take the whole family to though!

Master
    Really jealous you got to see Legend, can't wait to see it next weekend!

Finally just watched 12 years a slave. Extremely powerful. Glad I went to the National civil rights museum in Memphis as well last year before watching.

Watched straight outta Compton last week. Loved it. Doest tell the whole story but growing up around that time and loving that genre it was a great throwback.

Also watched a couple of cheesy comedies this weekend. The Heat with Sandra Bullock and the internship. Enjoyed them both in a not too serious kinda way.

Quote Originally Posted by seagull View Post
    Went to the premiere of Legend. Yes it's another British gangster movie but I thought this was a cut above. Tom Hardy gives a bravura performance as both Kray twins, the script is strong (very funny too in a Tarantino 'can't believe I'm laughing at this' way), as is the art direction. Not one to take the whole family to though!
    How violent is it? I wouldn't mind taking the mrs but she doesn't like seeing people get badly beaten.

If you saw Peaky Blinders season 2, thats about her limit.

Craftsman
    It Follows, nice throwback to 80is horror movies, atmospheric, great music, as if it was written by Carpenter

Watched 'Horns' at the weekend, starring a non-Potter Daniel Radcliffe.
    Not really sure why, but i quite enjoyed it, even though i figured out right from the off who the 'baddy' was.

Also watched the last 2 planet of the apes flicks, they were ok too

Brighty

I went to see "Man from U.N.C.L.E" on Saturday evening (it was that or a Strictly/X-Factor-fest at home! ).

I wasn't 100% convinced by the casting, being old enough to remember Robert Vaughn and David McCallum, but it was pretty enjoyable as far as it went.

M.

Zak Penn's "Atari: Game Over". If you owned a wooden-sided 2600 you'll understand.

Paul

Watched We're The Millers last night, very funny and kind of sweet in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    Zak Penn's "Atari: Game Over". If you owned a wooden-sided 2600 you'll understand.

Paul
    That will be me then lol

Going to look at that now buddy, thanks for the heads up

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post

Paul
    Just watched this, thanks for the heads up...took me back to my youth, where life was so much simpler!

Great nostalgia, kinda sad, but awesome memories.... Atari, it's where it all began!

Classically trained gamer :)

Master
    Just watched the November man and I really enjoyed it, don't know if there is any other opinions on this, but my initial thoughts were good flowing movie, good plot and pierce brosnan back at his best.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Just watched the November man and I really enjoyed it, don't know if there is any other opinions on this, but my initial thoughts were good flowing movie, good plot and pierce brosnan back at his best.
    I loved it also but believe it was a flop and had distribution problems in cinemas which didnt help.

Was hoping for the sequel but guess now maybe canned

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    I loved it also but believe it was a flop and had distribution problems in cinemas which didnt help.

Was hoping for the sequel but guess now maybe canned
    I didn't know that, real shame it was a great movie, deserves better than to be described as a flop

Makes the sequel look unlikely I agree

Master
    Blog Entries
    It makes you think how Brosnan could have played Bond differently (with a ruthless mean streak) if he had been given the right scripts.

Master
    Just watched 'live, die, repeat' with Tom Cruise. Very watchable, particularly on a big screen - special effects nowadays are absolutely mind blowing!

It's been referenced earlier in this thread but Ex Machina, written and directed by Alex Garland, was superb. Garland is perhaps the modern Graham Greene in his story telling, but he shows here he's a genuinely talented director too.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by GIB984 View Post
    Just watched 'live, die, repeat' with Tom Cruise. Very watchable, particularly on a big screen - special effects nowadays are absolutely mind blowing!
    Watched this on Sun, it's also called 'edge of tomorrow', really enjoyed it too. I like a good sci-fi and somehow this one totally passed me by, i'd never heard of it.
    Plot's been done before, but still enjoyable, quite different to the usual US blockbuster sci fi.

Brighty

Master
    Watched Legend at the weekend . Overall very good movie and Tom Hardy was amazing. Some hilarious Ron moments and amazing fights but not sure a learned much more about the Krays.

Mr. Nobody

sounded interesting and though a bit long was very watchable (spoiler: about multi dimensions and space time not being linear etc... so quite tricky to follow all the threads in it)

Watched spooks last night...

Should of made it a 2 part TV show, not a film....meh.

Quote Originally Posted by zanderpants View Post
    Watched Legend at the weekend . Overall very good movie and Tom Hardy was amazing. Some hilarious Ron moments and amazing fights but not sure a learned much more about the Krays.
    Saw this recently as well. Wasn't too keen on the original score, but the songs they picked from the period were good. Hardy really was amazing. I was sceptical going in, having the same actor playing different roles usually doesn't work, but 10 minutes in and I stopped thinking about it. A testament to the editing and acting I think. And not just Hardy, actually, the whole cast did a great job acting differently around his two characters.