closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 28 of 162 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878128 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,400 of 8058

Thread: Anyone watched any good movies recently?

District 9 on more4 now, fantastic film.
    Brighty

Just watched 'Captain Phillips' about the Somali hijack of the transport ship... Cracking film.. ( Tom Hanks)
    Cheers..
    Jase

Life of Pi after ages having it on Skyplus and no one else wanting to watch it saw it a few days ago. A great film which is thought provoking and an examination for the viewer of their beliefs in man and spirituality. Very powerful and clever.

About to see The Lego Movie with my son, quite excited.

Master
    New Robocop last night, personally found it very dull (but then I am old and enjoyed the original) but the kids seemed to enjoy it

Just came back from watching '71 at the Berlin Film Festival and would strongly recommend it once it makes general release (no info on that yet). Some good performances, a reasonable attempt at accuracy (but I expect that a few that have served in Northern Ireland will spot some clangers - I never did but spotted quite a few bits that didn't seem right) and some topical references to MRFs (which I'm not sure rang entirely true). Not a bad first feature for the the director, Yann Demange, and I wouldn't be displeased if it won an award at the Berlinale.

http://www.protagonistpictures.com/films/71
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2614684/?ref_=nm_flmg_dr_1

A couple of memorable quotes:

The unit turns up for it's first patrol in West Belfast and one of them says of the city on fire "It's just like Leeds".
    A definition of the military by one of the characters "It's posh c@nts teaching thick c@nts to kill poor c@nts".

Edit: Just done a bit of research on the "military adviser" to this, Nick Gordon, and he comes across as an ex-squaddie using bullshit-baffles-brains as a consultant in the cinema industry - explains quite a bit, I think. This audition video on IMDB also speaks volumes.
    http://www.imdb.com/video/demo_reel/vi4068648729/

Edit II: Cracking review in the Telegraph.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/f...71-review.html
    Last edited by Carlton-Browne; 9th February 2014 at 13:43. Reason: "Military advisor" bit added & Telegraph review link.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by nictry View Post
    New Robocop last night, personally found it very dull (but then I am old and enjoyed the original) but the kids seemed to enjoy it
    The original is one my favourite films, so I'm somewhat dreading seeing this but I'm sure I will at some point.

The Lego Movie was great, funny, exciting, quite moving at times, and made with a clear love for the little bricks.

Loved Nebraska, Some brilliant acting throughout.
    Woodys wife, Kate , had me in stitches.

Dont know if its allowed in here, But last night watched BBC Iplayer, storyville the The Killer Summit. K2 . as good a documentary as i have seen for years brilliant! HIGHLY recomended.

Master
    Finally watched The World's End.

Great start, looks like it'll follow the excellent Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, but it petered out to nothing really - a good premise but poor ending I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    Finally watched The World's End.

Great start, looks like it'll follow the excellent Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, but it petered out to nothing really - a good premise but poor ending I thought.
    Agreed, I enjoyed most of it but thought the ending was pretty terrible.

Saw Prisoners on pay to view last night, a very taught thriller with excellent characters.

Quote Originally Posted by whatmeworry View Post

The Lego Movie was great, funny, exciting, quite moving at times, and made with a clear love for the little bricks.
    Saw it this morning with my son - exhilarating! Like seeing The Matrix for the first time but with a keen sense of humour

Craftsman
    Just watched Redemption (Hummingbird) on Netflix. The film has a bit of depth to it (rather than a typical action flick) and Jason Statham is surprisingly good in it. Apparently the film cost $20M to make and recouped bugger all (around $200K!)

Intouchables. French film with subtitles. I'd normally avoid anything with subs, but it's a really good film. Hard to describe, as nothing similar. Wife loved it.

^ Actually, there is another very similar film - from 2009, also French, called 'L'homme de Chevet' (The Bedside Man), the title for the US release was 'Cartagena'. In this film the bedridden accident victim is played by the delectable Mlle Sophie Marceau and the drunk, ex-boxer, loser she hires as her man-Friday is played by Christophe Lambert.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1282155/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_6

Watched Wolf of Wall Street last night. Fantastic film.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by davida View Post
    Watched Wolf of Wall Street last night. Fantastic film.
    I really like the look of this but at 180 minutes running time, I'm not sure my bottom could cope in the cinema. Waiting for this one to come out on DVD so I can watch it in a civilised manner!

On Sunday night we went to see Jonathan Nossiter’s (he of Mondovino fame) new film, Natural Resistance. A very important message about globalisation and the way that the big players skew the food chain (or in this case the wine river) but I was a little confused by a cinematic strand going through it which I didn't quite get (some it resembled the animations from Reeve & Mortimer's House of Fools). I'll accept that we were fairly near the front of the cinema but the hand-held camerawork was a little off-putting, not to say a bit dizzying. So new that it doesn't even have an IMDB entry yet.

http://www.berlinale.de/en/programm/...tab=filmStills
    http://dobianchi.com/2014/02/04/noss...ilm-mondovino/

There was a short Q&A session with the director and cast afterwards but unfortunately there wasn't any free sampling.

Agreed, I enjoyed most of it but thought the ending was pretty terrible.
    I thought WORLD'S END was outstanding, and even loved the ending.

Watched Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, really enjoyed it. Worth watching if you ever enjoyed playing Streetfighter, Tekken etc!

Couldn't agree more. I loved it and haven't been able to get the awesome song out of my head. Everything is AWESOME!

Quote Originally Posted by SeanST150 View Post
    Couldn't agree more. I loved it and haven't been able to get the awesome song out of my head. Everything is AWESOME!
    :) my son and I haven't stopped singing it

I watched "Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit" yesterday. Didn't expect much based on some lukewarm reviews I had read, but actually found it quite entertaining and action-packed. It was worth the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    ^ Actually, there is another very similar film - from 2009, also French, called 'L'homme de Chevet' (The Bedside Man), the title for the US release was 'Cartagena'. In this film the bedridden accident victim is played by the delectable Mlle Sophie Marceau and the drunk, ex-boxer, loser she hires as her man-Friday is played by Christophe Lambert.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1282155/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_6
    Thanks, I'll look out for it.

Watching blood diamond as I type,it's a bit deep but a bloody good film.

Quote Originally Posted by itsgotournameonit View Post
    Watching blood diamond as I type,it's a bit deep but a bloody good film.
    Great movie.

Blog Entries
    I watched 12 Monkeys again the other night.

Why? Because I like to feel utterly confused and lost at the end of a movie.......

Great film though. And I get it totally up until the plane conversation at the end.

Then I'm done.

Apprentice
    The Wolf of Wall St- hard to believe it is based on a true story- great film.
    American Hustle was also good.

Watched A Time To Kill last night - first time I'd seen it.

Really good performances from Samuel L Jackson and Matthew Mconnaughy - just goes to show he can actually act!!!

Watched The Fast and the Furious 6.

Was bearable for the most part but the last half an hour of 'action' was just ridiculous and too long.

It's a reminder why I don't watch these types of films generally.

I haven't seen any of the rest of TFATF movies and I won't be in a hurry to.

2.5 stars - that's between bearable/average and worth a watch, only because it featured London quite prominently.

The wife and I watched 'Seeking a friend of the end of the world' last night. Really quite sweet

Blog Entries
    Just watched Mud.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1935179/

Excellent stuff, well worth seeing.

z

Master
    Gravity last night, surprisingly suspenseful considering the limited subject matter/plot line and even with bullock's rather irritating voice it was worth 90 minutes of my life to watch!

Master
    I watched Gravity last night and thought it was pants.
    The first 20 minutes was OK, but then it became quite tedious.
    I kept thinking I was watching Alien because of Sandra Bullock's hideous plastic face.
    God knows how much she paid the surgeon, but she should be asking for a refund.
    Last edited by Cynar; 17th February 2014 at 17:51.

Journeyman
    Dallas Buyers Club thought it was great

Thor - pish.
    Angels' Share - wonderful.

Captain Philips.... Pretty good

Django Unchained.......hmmm. No

Quote Originally Posted by mylesm View Post
    Dallas Buyers Club thought it was great
    Agreed and certainly McConaughey's best performance to date.

-Eric-

Last week we managed to catch three more at the Berlin film festival.

Calvary
    A fairly stellar performance from Brendan Gleeson and that's about it. Arguably it's a film where he plays himself playing Robbie Coltrane playing Cracker, there's a nice cameo of Dylan Moran, playing Bernard from Black Books and that's about it. Every other character was drawn in one dimension (Chris O'Dowd from the IT Crowd pops up as well). Not sure I'd recommend it but it seems to have been well reviewed.
    https://www.berlinale.de/en/programm...tab=filmStills

The Food Guide to Love
    This was one of the few Culinary Kino gigs that we were able to get a ticket for. A fairly dull romantic comedy with only a minimal food interest. The female lead is quite cute though - she has very long legs. I enjoyed the fact that it's set in Dublin which is not somewhere that I've always held to be a foodie capital. And you're supposed to put milk in coddle.
    https://www.berlinale.de/en/programm...45#tab=video25

Zwischen Welten (In between Worlds)
    This was the star of the show in my view; I was disappointed that it didn't win the competition. Set in a Bundeswehr unit in Afghanistan and principally around the relationship between a troop commander and his interpreter. Deals very sharply with the loneliness of command and the difficult choices one has to make as a result. Really gripping stuff - makes me really want to see The Patrol, when it comes out.
    https://www.berlinale.de/en/programm...tab=filmStills

Last night this Free Men http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1699185/ on BBC4
    Muslims save Jews from the Nazis.Not a film that Hollywood would make I think.

Captain Phillips

Captain Phillips on DVD
    I loved it -really good movie

2guns also v good, didn't expect it

Plus an all time bargain classic The Town - watch it!

Captain Phillips - a well made, proper film with actual acting. I wish I'd enjoyed it more, but I found it unengaging
    All is Lost - I lost all interest
    Red 2 - Worth it to watch the AAA-list cast ( and Catherine Zeta-Jones ) ham it up. Moonlighting meets the Magnificent Seven
    The Boat that Rocked - Kenneth Branagh steals this pirates tale but there was very little bounty on board
    Gravity - worth watching in 3D on a big screen, so you can tell your grandkids what the last gasp of 3D cinema was like. Plotless but kinetic, even more pointless on a small screen
    Magnolia - not recent, but I watched it again the day before I heard that PSH had died. Great film, with the only watchable performance by Tom Cruise since Risky Business

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gbk0505 View Post
    Watched Rush last night. Excellent film and I am a motorsport fan but not usually F1.
    Agree with Rush - saw it at local (very small) cinema and the sound of the cars was fab. Bought it on bluray to watch at home - maybe this weekend

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich11 View Post
    Watched Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, really enjoyed it. Worth watching if you ever enjoyed playing Streetfighter, Tekken etc!
    Awesome film

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
    Captain Philips.... Pretty good

Django Unchained.......hmmm. No
    I found Django Unchained a really good film. Ok, it's un PC throughout but surely reflective of the times, many may be offended by the language. A beautiful level of gore in the killings - true Tarantino.

Took my son to see Mr Peabody and Sherman today. As kids films go it was pretty good, some decent performances and gags but not up to the level of say, the Lego Movie.
    It did thankfully manage to avoid the incest themes that seem common in time travel films, although they did get an Oedipus reference in.

Watched a few recently

Rush - superb! We all know what happened, but you probably couldn't make up a more compelling story. I couldn't help thinking that if Hollywood had written it as a fictional piece, Lauda would have won the championship though (and been the good-looking rebel). Good performances as well - shame Hemsworth didn't quite get the voice quite right - Hunt's voice is so familiar, Oliva Wilde did a great English accent.

Elysium - I really enjoyed this as well. Not quite as gritty as District 9, but still intelligent sci-fi.

Europa Report - definitely intelligent sci-fi. Got a bit of a 2001-vibe.

Filth - James McAvoy is really good, and it's classic Irvine Welsh debauchery.

Watched Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 with the family this afternoon. Lots of fun and wonderfully inventive.

Master
    Seven Psychopaths - weird but strangely good fun, not quite In Bruges so no repeat viewings but Christopher Walken was as cool (and strange) as he always is!