closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 155 of 162 FirstFirst ... 55105145153154155156157 ... LastLast
Results 7,701 to 7,750 of 8058

Thread: Anyone watched any good movies recently?

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Watched Bone Tomahawk last night. Actually a very interesting movie, quite clever but as a warning it has the absolute most horrific death scene I've ever seen in a film, it is absolutely harrowing and not for those of a nervous disposition.

The scene is kind of necessary and it isn't a gore flick per se but rather a stylised Western. Good film but be warned of the shocking death scene.
    You've obviously never seen Gaspar Noe's 'Irreversible' then?

S. Craig Zahler has been on my radar for a while. Check out 'Dragged Across Concrete' if you haven't already.

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    You've obviously never seen Gaspar Noe's 'Irreversible' then?

S. Craig Zahler has been on my radar for a while. Check out 'Dragged Across Concrete' if you haven't already.
    Actually i did watch that probably 15 years or so ago. Strange film that kind of plays in reverse but I should rewatch it when in the mood.

Re the death you are referring to, not wishing to thread spoil but basically if I say 'fire extinguisher' would that be the scene you are referring to?

Anyone know - if I download an 'expiring soon' movie on Prime can I watch it after it's no longer free?

Suspect not TBH.

Master
    watched Guy Ritches "The Covenant" last weekend.excellent..

Master

Re the death you are referring to, not wishing to thread spoil but basically if I say 'fire extinguisher' would that be the scene you are referring to?
    That's the one. I first saw it in early 2000s on a rented VHS from blockbuster on a 32" CRT TV. The murder scene of which you refer is genuinely astonishing. For a minute I actually had to think twice about what I'd just seen. It can't be real can it????

It still holds up today. There's a great mini doc on the making of that scene on the DVD release I have (think it's French). The reason it was and still is so shocking is because anyone who goes to trouble and expense to create that kind of special effect isn't generally using that technology to create a realistic murder sequence.

They interlaced three different effects for that scene. Famously, Nicolas Winding Refn approached Noe for help in creating Gosling's head stomp elevator scene in 'Drive'. The studio ended up reducing it at the suggestion of the American censors. No such issues with Irreversible. I want to watch it again as it's a technical marvel and it has an important message regarding violence and revenge but it's so uncomfortable it ceases to be 'entertainment' on some level. The underpass scene is beyond abhorrent, as it should be.

That's the one. I first saw it in early 2000s on a rented VHS from blockbuster on a 32" CRT TV. The murder scene of which you refer is genuinely astonishing. For a minute I actually had to think twice about what I'd just seen. It can't be real can it????

It still holds up today. There's a great mini doc on the making of that scene on the DVD release I have (think it's French). The reason it was and still is so shocking is because anyone who goes to trouble and expense to create that kind of special effect isn't generally using that technology to create a realistic murder sequence.

They interlaced three different effects for that scene. Famously, Nicolas Winding Refn approached Noe for help in creating Gosling's head stomp elevator scene in 'Drive'. The studio ended up reducing it at the suggestion of the American censors. No such issues with Irreversible. I want to watch it again as it's a technical marvel and it has an important message regarding violence and revenge but it's so uncomfortable it ceases to be 'entertainment' on some level. The underpass scene is beyond abhorrent, as it should be.
    I remember a harrowing rape scene in that film as well, I assume that's the underpass scene right?

The 12th Man, currently on Prime. Excellent WWII Norwegian true story drama, kinda like Dunkirk meets the Revenant with the search scene from Inglorious Basterds thrown in.

I remember a harrowing rape scene in that film as well, I assume that's the underpass scene right?
    Yes.

Guardians of the Galaxy 3, very enjoyable outing for Star Lord and Co, good soundtrack again, tells Rocket's moving backstory...they've been the most reliably consistent Marvel property/ product for my money...much better than the last Thor outing which seemed to have forgotten all about his experiences and development from the previous films.

I am Groot.

Watched The Last Boy Scout for the first time in a very long time. Loved it!

Bank Of Dave

British film (based on a Trueish story) about a Van dealer from Burnley trying set up a Bank to help the local community, really funny in places with Greg Kinnear, Hugh Boneville and Def Leppard !
    Available on Netflix

Watched Bone Tomahawk last night. Actually a very interesting movie, quite clever but as a warning it has the absolute most horrific death scene I've ever seen in a film, it is absolutely harrowing and not for those of a nervous disposition.

The scene is kind of necessary and it isn't a gore flick per se but rather a stylised Western. Good film but be warned of the shocking death scene.
    I think it's the ultimate bait-and-switch movie. You settle down to watch a nice Western, and ...

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    I think it's the ultimate bait-and-switch movie. You settle down to watch a nice Western, and ...
    I haven´t watched BT but from what I´ve gleaned online, it sounds a bit like the movie does a ´From Dusk till Dawn´ and there´s some critical mention of Tarantino-esque influence...

Is it worth a watch would you say?

After watching a clip, yup, it´s on the list.
    Last edited by Passenger; 11th July 2023 at 10:44.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    I haven´t watched BT but from what I´ve gleaned online, it sounds a bit like the movie does a ´From Dusk till Dawn´ and there´s some critical mention of Tarantino-esque influence...

Is it worth a watch would you say?
    After Ryan's recommendation watched it couple of days ago, certainly worthwhile IMO (and I watch very few movies).

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    After Ryan's recommendation watched it couple of days ago, certainly worthwhile IMO (and I watch very few movies).
    Gracias.

Just seen Indiana Jones and it was very good, wasn't expecting much, but good fun.

Yeah, Mrs. PC and I went to the new Jennifer Lawrence film, No Hard Feelings...about a 32 year-old hired to "socialize" a couple's 18 year-old son before he heads off to college.

EXCELLENT!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    Oh wow that brings back some memories, good it can still hold its own!

"They must be thinking get the ball to Billy cole". Great film.

Watched "the out-laws" on netflix last night. Adam Sandler produced, Peirce Brosnan stars. Pretty good with some laugh out loud moments

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Finding Michael on Disney. Very human documentary on retrieving a brother from Everest after 23 years!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Dragged Across Concrete is on Netflix now. You lucky sods!!

New Mission Impossible is excellent, set pieces, particularly the finale, are incredible on the big screen. Hayley Attwell is also a great addition

I watch Stanley Kubrick's Barry Lyndon last night. The film is based on the book "The Luck of Barry Lyndon" by William Makepeace Thackery, which itself was inspired by the life of Andre Robinson Stoney.

The film is in an older style, and features Ryan O'Neal and Leonard Rossiter. The narrative has many twists and turns and Kubrick brings his usual orchestral style to a costume drama.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MattMM View Post
    New Mission Impossible is excellent, set pieces, particularly the finale, are incredible on the big screen. Hayley Attwell is also a great addition
    I must be the only person to think it was overly drawn out, lacking in excitement whilst the slow build-up to the big set pieces was unfolding (which weren't that impressive anyhow)

Didn't find it anywhere near as fun or as entertaining as previous films.

I really liked Flash though despite what the reviews say. Really entertaining.

Dragged Across Concrete is on Netflix now. You lucky sods!!
    Watching this currently. Just saw the bank heist scene

Master

I had forgotten the extinguisher scene, googling it, god knows how - wow, a disturbing and amazing scene all at once.

Brutal.

Master
    Added for the weekend viewing, thanks.

Seeing Tom Cruise Tuesday...

Based off your recommendation I watched it last night whist the missus was out. What horrific death scene do you refer to as I didn't see anything harrowing?
    If you're referring to the 'split', that was funny.

Master
    Based off your recommendation I watched it last night whist the missus was out. What horrific death scene do you refer to as I didn't see anything harrowing?
    As above... I watched on Saturday evening after work, alone without Mrs T. as assumed it would be horrific and not her cup of tea
    I enjoyed the film but was expecting worse (admittedly I wouldn't want to go out that way!)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Extraction 2 last night on Netflix- really enjoyed it, non stop action.
    Day off work today and got back home after a walk just in time before the rain
    perfect opportunity for a matinee showing, went with Extraction 2 and it ticked all the boxes for a brain out enjoyable action movie

Master
    The previously mentioned fire extinguisher scene from Irreversible was much more disturbing.

The split scene was certainly someone having some fun with the screenplay.

Strangely I’d misread the posts and spent a good hour of the film wondering how on earth a fire extinguisher death fitted into the era. Doh!

Well you're obviously made of sterner stuff than me!

Brutal.
    Finished the film last night (dragged across concrete). Really enjoyed it and would echo the recommendations.

Finished the film last night (dragged across concrete). Really enjoyed it and would echo the recommendations.
    I'm so glad you said that. Have you seen Andrew Dominik's 'Killing Them Softly'?

I'm so glad you said that. Have you seen Andrew Dominik's 'Killing Them Softly'?
    Not yet but it's on my list and has an excellent cast too

NOWHERE SPECIAL

Terminally ill single dad seeks an adoptive family for his young son; if you have young kids you will be in bits!

Up on iPlayer for a few more weeks:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...owhere-special

I really enjoyed the movie but it was certainly extreme in its violence and the scene you’re both taking about was close to the edge.

Funny was certainly not the word I was thinking.

You might want to look into your own psyche if you thought it was funny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saw Tom Cruise today in MI. I would rate it "pretty good." Not even close to the fantastic new Top Gun - Maverick.

Quote Originally Posted by smokey99 View Post
    You might want to look into your own psyche if you thought it was funny.
    It's a movie. No one died

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    The previously mentioned fire extinguisher scene from Irreversible was much more disturbing
    It certainly was the fist time I saw it as it was out of context and I thought it was real. I couldn't get it out of my head for days.

It's a movie. No one died
    Fair point, I'm a little embarrassed now that I found Top Gun Maverick's flight sequences so exciting because I now realise they weren't really bombing an enemy base.

And don't get me started at the wasted emotional release at the end of Shawshank because Tim Robbins was never really in jail.

Master
    It certainly was the fist time I saw it as it was out of context and I thought it was real. I couldn't get it out of my head for days.
    Strangely having rewatched the scene just to check, it has stuck in my mind rather more than I thought it would.

(as in 'wow', not as in 'thats a good idea' as I walk past an extinguisher after a frustrating meeting with idiots)

Went to see Mission Impossible - Dead Reckoning pt 1 this afternoon.

Brilliant bit of entertainment.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Watched Bone Tomahawk, The deepest breath, Dragged across concrete & The 12th man this week going to be hard to better those me thinks.

Barbie. And I’m deadly serious. Superb.

I didn't find Bone Tomahawk all that tbh.

The new Mission Impossible is rollicking good fun from start to finish and a reminder of what Bond films used to be like before the Blond Scouser ruined everything. And say what you like about Cruise, at least he's keeping all the tedious woke bollocks out of his pictures.