closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 152 of 162 FirstFirst ... 52102142150151152153154 ... LastLast
Results 7,551 to 7,600 of 8057

Thread: Anyone watched any good movies recently?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Fall on Netflix.

Was v. good but it gave me that same sense of stopping breathing that Gravity did.
    I bloody hate heights.
    Quote Originally Posted by smokey99 View Post
    Exactly what I came on to recommend. Was aware of it but had no intention of watching it but after a petty argument with SWMBO I joined the teenager in the other room and was surprisingly gripped. I actually missed the entire build up of why they were doing it but didn't see to matter.

Really was stomach churning stuff and especially if you're not a fan of heights and worth looking into how they filmed it to get the full effect. I was amazed they kept me engaged and interested for the 90-95mins that I watched considering there were only two lasses and a radio tower to look at.

They were both very attractive though!

Thanks for the tip, a surprisingly effective b-movie. It really seemed to know which buttons to push, quite hard to watch in fact!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Thanks for the tip, a surprisingly effective b-movie [Fall]. It really seemed to know which buttons to push, quite hard to watch in fact!
    A really difficult watch. The sense of perspective and the use of sound was very effective. I don't know how effective it would be on a cheap small screen tv with poor sound.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperStripes View Post
    A really difficult watch. The sense of perspective and the use of sound was very effective. I don't know how effective it would be on a cheap small screen tv with poor sound.
    I watched it on my tv with my 5.1 system and it was brilliant. I’ve just watched a 5 min clip on my phone and nowhere near as impactful it still managed to get that testicle retracting feeling lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Also watched the Bill Nighy film, Living, on Friday. A film about an old man where almost nothing happens is just up my street. It's very much Nighy playing Nighy but none the worse for that and there a couple of excellent supporting performances, especially from Aimee Lou Wood. It very much makes we want to watch the Kurosawa film that it's a remake of. Interestingly, the depiction of the office environment very much destroys any nostalgia one might have for the 50s - I watched An Angel At My Table recently and that pretty much had the same effect.
    Bill Nighy sits in for Iggy Pop with a set of tracks to soundtrack your Sunday afternoon. He's got on a fly blue suit and his cuff links are shining all bright.

It's pretty much as you would expect. I enjoy Iggy's show immensely, and having Bill in as cover is inspirational.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    The Oscar-winning short film, An Irish Goodbye, is currently on Iplayer and I can't recommend a better way of spending 23 minutes.
    Thank you for that, I really enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Bill Nighy sits in for Iggy Pop with a set of tracks to soundtrack your Sunday afternoon. He's got on a fly blue suit and his cuff links are shining all bright.

It's pretty much as you would expect. I enjoy Iggy's show immensely, and having Bill in as cover is inspirational.
    I thank that will be dinnertime listening this evening .

Quote Originally Posted by Wimm View Post
    Thank you for that, I really enjoyed it.
    That pleases me.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperStripes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I watched it on my tv with my 5.1 system and it was brilliant. I’ve just watched a 5 min clip on my phone and nowhere near as impactful it still managed to get that testicle retracting feeling lol.
    I was watching lights out on a projector which certainly helped, I can only imagine what IMAX would be like, you’d probably need a bucket. The ‘testicle retracting feeling’ made me laugh, it certainly hit some very particular spots! Whoever thought of putting Grace Caroline Currey and Virginia Gardner on top of a 2000ft radio mast is a twisted genius.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    I was watching lights out on a projector which certainly helped, I can only imagine what IMAX would be like, you’d probably need a bucket. The ‘testicle retracting feeling’ made me laugh, it certainly hit some very particular spots! Whoever thought of putting Grace Caroline Currey and Virginia Gardner on top of a 2000ft radio mast is a twisted genius.
    IMAX feels like it needs to be done. Sweaty palms just imagining how that’s going to feel. Or maybe one of the 4D cinemas that adds wind & movement to the seats.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    IMAX feels like it needs to be done. Sweaty palms just imagining how that’s going to feel. Or maybe one of the 4D cinemas that adds wind & movement to the seats.
    <barf>

The Oscar-winning short film, An Irish Goodbye, is currently on Iplayer and I can't recommend a better way of spending 23 minutes.
    Caught this last night, what an absolute joy.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

watched an Irish Goodbye following the forum comments

really enjoyed it, plot was as unexpected and well written.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ChronoPantera View Post
    watched an Irish Goodbye following the forum comments

really enjoyed it, plot was as unexpected and well written.
    Wonderfully written and acted

Anyone watched any good movies recently?

…Also watched the Bill Nighy film, Living, on Friday. A film about an old man where almost nothing happens is just up my street. It's very much Nighy playing Nighy but none the worse for that and there a couple of excellent supporting performances, especially from Aimee Lou Wood. It very much makes we want to watch the Kurosawa film that it's a remake of. Interestingly, the depiction of the office environment very much destroys any nostalgia one might have for the 50s - I watched An Angel At My Table recently and that pretty much had the same effect.
    Thanks for posting this. I am looking forward to Living. It sounds intriguing.

I had never seen the 1983 television movie The Day After about nuclear war. After years of wondering about it, and having a vague impression that it was not all that good, I finally watched it this morning and was quite moved.

I was 13 when the movie came out, and for much of my childhood was fairly anxious about the bomb. I was living in West Germany then so missed the U.S. TV broadcast, and just never caught the film until today.

Seeing the movie now was like looking at old photographs from that time, and re-experiencing those underlying, pervasive fears. I was surprised at how much it affected me. The way people dressed, their haircuts, the cars and landlines, it really took me back and then sort of punched me in the gut.

Just watched Atomic Blonde again, with Charlize Theron and James McAvoy. Outstanding!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by williemays View Post
    Just watched Aftersun, and agree it is brilliant. It is remarkable how a seemingly ordinary situation develops into such a powerful and devastating story.
    This is probably the best film I've watched in the last few years. At least from the perspective of leaving a lasting impact and staying top of mind for a few weeks after watching. Whilst it was not directly relatable for me, the story and portrayal are highly effective and gut-wrenching.

Seldom have a seen a film where not much happens during the showing, but so much is felt right after.

The Hunt

unexpectedly reasonable. a horror film with a very unusual plot.

the only actor starring i'd heard of was Hilary Swank

Worth a watch on catch up.

Just finished the Elvis film on Netflix, really enjoyed it, was really done well.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Long John Wick 4 last night. The best in the series; an absolute assault on the senses.

John wick 3. I'm behind the times but great film and the fight scenes are crazy good! Reminds me of the raid.
    JW4 next to look forward to

The Hunt

unexpectedly reasonable. a horror film with a very unusual plot.

the only actor starring i'd heard of was Hilary Swank

Worth a watch on catch up.
    Yep another vote from me. Very topical back story (then and now) and really nicely played by all.

One of those rare films I watched for a 2nd time within a couple of weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brawl in Cell Block 99

Enjoyed this with Vince Vaughn playing a drug dealer, (rather than in his usual commedy roll).

it's gritty and brutal, with a fairly good plot, and I think well worth a watch.

possibly the only critiscism is it's a tiny bit long, and could maybe have been cut by 20 minutes to make it even punchier.

Brawl in Cell Block 99

Enjoyed this with Vince Vaughn playing a drug dealer, (rather than in his usual commedy roll).

it's gritty and brutal, with a fairly good plot, and I think well worth a watch.

possibly the only critiscism is it's a tiny bit long, and could maybe have been cut by 20 minutes to make it even punchier.
    Check out the Director's latest 'Dragged Across Concrete'. Sublime.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    Just watched Atomic Blonde again, with Charlize Theron and James McAvoy. Outstanding!

They rarely make movies like this anymore nowadays

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Humptynumpty View Post
    John wick 3. I'm behind the times but great film and the fight scenes are crazy good! Reminds me of the raid.
    JW4 next to look forward to
    JW4 will be awesome too, I bet!*??

second that, i've watched it at least 4 times since it's release, and it is very good. especially the 80's Berlin setting and clothes, cars etc.

Also hats off to Charlize Theron, as must have been a really physical role for her.

She must have been black and blue doing some of the scenes, despite obviously them pulling their punches, there was still a lot of being slammed against walls, floors, being thrown down stairs etc, which must have been a physically painful role to play

Quote Originally Posted by SeanST150 View Post
    Long John Wick 4 last night. The best in the series; an absolute assault on the senses.
    Going Saturday with a buddy...can't wait!

I appreciate this is the GOOD films thread, but just as a warning - please don't waste any time watching Luther (Netflix film). Unfortunately it has now morphed into a lame James Bond wannabe movie with no story and so many plot holes even my wife was becoming annoyed - and that is really saying something!

Stay to the end - there is a post-credits scene which could hint at a potential spin-off.

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Check out the Director's latest 'Dragged Across Concrete'. Sublime.
    Thanks for the tip, will look out for that....... hopefully on amazon some time soon.....

I notice the director (Caig S Zahler) also made...

Bone Tomahawk ....... with Kurt Russel, and I enjoyed that film too.

extraordinary plot, a western with sci-fi monsters !!

Took Mrs PC to see A Good Person yesterday. I thought it was very good, while the wife thought it was "OK."

Florence Pugh gave an outstanding performance.

Blog Entries
    The mrs and me went last Saturday. She's a fan of the JW-franchise. I'm not. According to her, it was a great movie and 169 mins are worth the time. I beg to differ. (I could write the same comment in the 'worse movie thread').

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    The mrs and me went last Saturday. She's a fan of the JW-franchise. I'm not. According to her, it was a great movie and 169 mins are worth the time. I beg to differ. (I could write the same comment in the 'worse movie thread').
    Love the carnage!

Thanks for the tip, will look out for that....... hopefully on amazon some time soon.....

I notice the director (Caig S Zahler) also made...

Bone Tomahawk ....... with Kurt Russel, and I enjoyed that film too.

extraordinary plot, a western with sci-fi monsters !!
    No worries. Yep Bone Tomahawk is great but Dragged remains his high water mark. If you havent already, check out the series 'Too Old To Die Young' on Netflix. It's by Refn (Drive) and it's utterly brilliant but a very slow start.

My oldest son (46) in Minnesota just watched Everything Everywhere All at Once and said it was much better than he expected. Parallel universes (not unlike The Matrix) made it especially intriguing for him.

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    No worries. Yep Bone Tomahawk is great but Dragged remains his high water mark. If you havent already, check out the series 'Too Old To Die Young' on Netflix. It's by Refn (Drive) and it's utterly brilliant but a very slow start.
    cheers i'll check that out..

Refn has done same good work. The Neon Demon is pretty intense.

as you mention, Drive is a classic.

speaking of films with Drive in the title, I recently rewatched the classic 'The Driver' with Ryan O'Neil, i thought it still holds it own.. with some superb car chases.

(i love it when he totally trashes the green Merc in the underground car park)

and I enjoyed Baby Driver too, directed by Edgar Wright

(I've think they're filming baby Driver 2 now)

I just saw John Wick 4. I was a bit disappointed and frankly got bored with the non-stop killing. Ho-hum...

Watched this last night, very enjoyble film Thanks for the recommendation!

Blog Entries
    I just saw John Wick 4. I was a bit disappointed and frankly got bored with the non-stop killing. Ho-hum...
    Saw JW4 last night - have to agree. Wish they put a little bit more story and dialogue in, rather than the nonstop action sequences - it all got a bit same'ol, same'ol after the first 2 hrs.

Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    Saw JW4 last night - have to agree. Wish they put a little bit more story and dialogue in, rather than the nonstop action sequences - it all got a bit same'ol, same'ol after the first 2 hrs.
    But...but...but....hasn't that been the entire John Wick $h!t thing from the first movie coupled with some complete ham "acting" (yeah......right) from the man playing Mr Wick himself. Trash IMO

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    But...but...but....hasn't that been the entire John Wick $h!t thing from the first movie coupled with some complete ham "acting" (yeah......right) from the man playing Mr Wick himself. Trash IMO
    JW1 was and still remains (IMHO) one of the best action movies; simple story line, good-enough acting and brilliant, brilliant action sequences. Every sequel has tried to out-action the previous one and is (again IMHO), the poorer for it.

So Long, My Son on BBC4 last night.

Interesting and nicely made Chinese film, 3 hours long, a bit of a generational epic, shifts in time keeps you on your toes. Sad at times.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    JW1 was and still remains (IMHO) one of the best action movies; simple story line, good-enough acting and brilliant, brilliant action sequences. Every sequel has tried to out-action the previous one and is (again IMHO), the poorer for it.
    Reeves says 380 words (someone counted it / $ 39,400 per word...) in JW4. For a movie that takes 170 mins from start to finish. Surely, that's to maximize the action scenes. Or...? Still, he could learn a thing or two from Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keaton. They became millionaires without speaking a word.

This.
    Exactly this.
    The fight/killing scenes just go on forever....to the point of being predictable, repetitive and boring.
    But they do allow you to make a cup of tea and return without missing anything important to the almost non existent plot.

Watched 'Finding Michael' last night

I didn't have high hopes as it featured Spencer Matthews (someone from 'Made in Chelsea' I understand) but the story is about him trying to locate and retrieve his brothers body from the upper heights of Mount Everest.

There are some interesting parts to it and some very good footage (very interesting to an Everest Geek like me) but overall it becomes a ridiculous vanity project and what must have been a huge money maker for Nimsdai Purja (the star of '14 Peaks Nothing is Impossible' a MUCH better film IMHO) and his Elite Exped company

If anyone else has seen it I'd like to know what your impression of the film was

John

Completely OT but had to mention...I watched 1992's Alien 3 the other night and noticed that Ripley reported the date as Year 7510, which was referred to in Zager and Evans 1969 No.1 hit In the Year 2525. I read that inmate Murphy also sang two lines from the song just before he died.

"...in the Year 7510, if God is comin' He ought to make it by then, maybe He'll look around Himself and say, "guess it's time for the Judgement Day...'"

Craftsman
    Two Distant Strangers. A decent 30 minute Netflix time loop movie

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    This.
    Exactly this.
    The fight/killing scenes just go on forever....to the point of being predictable, repetitive and boring.
    But they do allow you to make a cup of tea and return without missing anything important to the almost non existent plot.
    I've felt the John Wick films have been a downward spiral all along

I quite enjoyed the first, but the second and third were each less enjoyable and this one's trailers do look very samey.

I'll watch it sometime, when I can do so for free.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I've felt the John Wick films have been a downward spiral all along

I quite enjoyed the first, but the second and third were each less enjoyable and this one's trailers do look very samey.

I'll watch it sometime, when I can do so for free.

M
    I watched the first one and while enjoying i, knew I didn't need to watch any sequels.

I watched half of Guy Richie's Operation Fortune last night. It's a cross between The Man from U.N.C.L.E. and The Gentlemen while being inferior to both but still relatively lightweight fun.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    I watched the first one and while enjoying i, knew I didn't need to watch any sequels.

I watched half of Guy Richie's Operation Fortune last night. It's a cross between The Man from U.N.C.L.E. and The Gentlemen while being inferior to both but still relatively lightweight fun.
    Me too, last night as it popped up on Prime, I watched it right through. Cant argue with the above, sometimes when people were shot I was surprised as for most of the time it feels like a comedy:)

Steve

Master
    Blog Entries
    Watched Uncle Buck first time in years this afternoon. Fantastic!