closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 151 of 162 FirstFirst ... 51101141149150151152153161 ... LastLast
Results 7,501 to 7,550 of 8069

Thread: Anyone watched any good movies recently?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Bravely watched Tár last night to see what the fuss was about, Mondays being half price at the local. Quite hard going, and I’d still have got the point if it was a good hour shorter. And yet I’m forced to admit it’s objectively ‘good’, for its performances, photography, and cerebral take on our times. It might appeal if you’re far too clever for mere entertainment, though personally I’m partial to it.
    This made me laugh. V good.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9S using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Anygreg View Post
    I’d also add “the business’. As another great movie from the same era
    Assuming this is the Danny Dyer one? If so, aaaaabsolutely not. Terrible film. Not in the same universe as the others mentioned here.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Sexy Beast and, of course, Mona Lisa

M

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    Mona Lisa is a great shout. I'd also add 'The Hit'. From the same director as Sexy Beast. Brilliant film.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Watched Bank of Dave last night and really enjoyed it.

Behind the times as always, we watched "The Duke" last night - what a delightful little movie, and what a superbly self-effacing performance from Helen Mirren!

Black Adam is a detestable turd of a film. A tiresome, swilling CGI soup, with a dull and utterly predictable plot. Did I say plot? That’s praise too far.

There is no character in it worth rooting for, worth saving, not even the usually charming The Rock. Bar an occasional raised eyebrow, he’s just a blank-faced, monosyllabic bore.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Corporalsparrow View Post
    Black Adam is a detestable turd of a film. A tiresome, swilling CGI soup, with a dull and utterly predictable plot. Did I say plot? That’s praise too far.

There is no character in it worth rooting for, worth saving, not even the usually charming The Rock. Bar an occasional raised eyebrow, he’s just a blank-faced, monosyllabic bore.
    Yes a big turd of a film

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Watched Bank of Dave last night and really enjoyed it.
    Watched it last night too C. Really liked it. Couldn't believe how old Def Leppard looked! Really enjoyable film.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Assuming this is the Danny Dyer one? If so, aaaaabsolutely not. Terrible film. Not in the same universe as the others mentioned here.
    Have to disagree, I think The Business is a great fil, very much of its era and like a low-rent Guy Richie movie.

Porsche 928, XR3 cab, Fila tennis shirts, drugs, gangsters, a decapitation and escape through a crap-filled sewer? What’s Not to like!

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Have to disagree, I think The Business is a great fil, very much of its era and like a low-rent Guy Richie movie.

Porsche 928, XR3 cab, Fila tennis shirts, drugs, gangsters, a decapitation and escape through a crap-filled sewer? What’s Not to like!
    Exactly, it marked the era very well, you either got it or you didn’t. Great film.

I think the soundtrack really lifted The Business.

Black Adam... woeful, the normally personable, funny, Dwayne Johnson never had a chance...But on the other hand Red Notice, with DJ, Ryan Reynolds and Gal Gadot...pretty darn good crime comedy thriller...Reynolds rips some good gags off the big fella and GG's always watchable.

I watch The Whale with Brendan Fraser. Enjoyed it. Haven't watched anything else recently

Hey, each to their own but if you guys think a 'low rent Guy Richie movie' is in the same league as the holy trinity of TLGF, Get Carter and Sexy Beast, we can't be friends.

Joking aside it's more to do with how highly I regard these films. Stone cold classics that I can rewatch time and time again.

Loved it and the soundtrack is excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by DONGinsler View Post
    I watch The Whale with Brendan Fraser. Enjoyed it. Haven't watched anything else recently
    Glad to see he's making a bit of a comeback to be honest!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    I’m with you here. After it’s mention I tried it last night. I got 10mins into it before it went off.

I like my tacky east end gangster style of films, so can only be Mr Dyer that I find so unbearable on screen.

"Brian And Charles" last night. Truly bonkers, fantastically enjoyable. Park your disbelief and enjoy.

All Quiet on the Western Front was awful. Relentlessly and repulsively gory, unredeemingly depressing. A kind of non-story, just a plodding, slow, dull descent into hell.

Saving Private Ryan without the heart.
    Which sadly is what war is all about.
    Millions of soldiers and civilians were killed, while officers strutted around on all sides acting like Gods playing a large game of Chess, but with real people!!
    For what its worth, I thought it was very well made, thought provoking and most likely I will never watch again.
    Because for I agree with most of the descriptive words used by Corporalsparrow.

All Quiet on the Western Front

Saving Private Ryan without the mawkish flag waving sentimentality.
    FTFY :-)

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    Watched it last night too C. Really liked it. Couldn't believe how old Def Leppard looked! Really enjoyable film.
    Prompted me to add pour some sugar on me to my car playlist!

Anyone watched any good movies recently?

The whale. Amazing performances and solid film - can’t help but think it would be perfect as a theatre play.

We enjoyed Baz Luhrmann’s Elvis biopic last night. As you’d expect from BL it’s a visual feast and a compelling story.

Was never an Elvis fan but goodness me 42 is no age to die and in those very sad circumstances. Great performance from Tom Hanks as Colonel Tom Parker under a lot prosthetics and heavy accent.

And Austin Butler is very impressive as EP it must be said.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    We enjoyed Baz Luhrmann’s Elvis biopic last night. As you’d expect from BL it’s a visual feast and a compelling story.

Was never an Elvis fan but goodness me 42 is no age to die and in those very sad circumstances. Great performance from Tom Hanks as Colonel Tom Parker under a lot prosthetics and heavy accent.

And Austin Butler is very impressive as EP it must be said.
    To each, their own! I got about 20 minutes into it before I couldn't take any more crotch shots and screaming.

Perhaps its my surround sound, but it made it truly awful visually and aurally.

Too young to have been a fan of his, perhaps that's the issue also.

Blog Entries
    Watched "Gold" - the 2016 Matthew McConaughey film about gold prospector Kenny Wells. Enjoyed it.

I originally thought it was a true story but turns out it's based loosely around the 1993 Bre-X mining scandal with names and details changed.

I have to disagree with the reviews of All Quiet on the Eastern Front. Personally I thought it was excellent and it captured the pointless slaughter of that war from a sympathetic perspective and each character was believable in their behaviours and actions. The script was excellent and the performances were very balanced. I also watched 1917 which I did not like or believe in at all, it was like a Tom Cruise film with lots of running around and no real sense of credibility and compares very badly to this.

It probably was all quiet on the Eastern front, as for the Germans, the fighting was in the west.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    It probably was all quiet on the Eastern front, as for the Germans, the fighting was in the west.
    Ha! typo and autocorrect together. To be fair though, it was total carnage on the Eastern front too. Present day Russian leaders are clearly horrible lying shits, but they have an easy time convincing the illiterati of the need to defend Russia from invasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    "Brian And Charles" last night. Truly bonkers, fantastically enjoyable. Park your disbelief and enjoy.
    That looks interesting - I'll be looking it up this weekend.

Craftsman
    We have a ghost, on Netflix, good family entertainment.

Master
    All Quiet on the Western Front was awful. Relentlessly and repulsively gory, unredeemingly depressing. A kind of non-story, just a plodding, slow, dull descent into hell.

Saving Private Ryan without the heart.
    I agree - I didn't make it to the end i'm afraid.

B

Master
    Watched bullet train which Sky have been plugging. I guess some will get on the "wavelength" but I viewed it as 2 hours of my life I will not get back

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    Watched bullet train which Sky have been plugging. I guess some will get on the "wavelength" but I viewed it as 2 hours of my life I will not get back
    I tried to watch that last week but the new (supposed) Bond actor effing and jeffing all the time was truly boring.

I watched Killing Gunther with Arnold last night and found myself chuckling at that. Arnold isn't in it much but does steal the film.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Fall on Netflix.

Was v. good but it gave me that same sense of stopping breathing that Gravity did.
    I bloody hate heights.

Where did you watch this

Caught about 20 minute of Ruse De Guerre earlier, looks excellent...

Craftsman
    Missing - I really enjoyed it; different, fast paced and a few twists

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/missing_2023

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Watched the new Luther film on Netflix last night - if you liked the series, you'll probably like the film.

Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    Watched the new Luther film on Netflix last night - if you liked the series, you'll probably like the film.
    We’re going to give it a whirl tonight. Never got round to seeing the last BBC series of Luther so watching the film might inspire me to go back to it as we used to love Luther (and Alice) back in the day.

Master
    We watched Nocebo on Netflix last night. Was quite good with the always excellent Eva Green. Catch her naked in Sin City and you will never forget her amazing physique. A contrast to Proxima on film4 where for me even her performance failed to keep me interested in the dull plot.

As you say, truly bonkers, and all the better for it. Charles is a regular on the "Brian Gittins and Friends" podcast, equally bonkers.
    F.T.F.A.

I watched All Quiet On The Western Front last night.

Some great, harrowing scenes of WW1 battle, but in the end it didn't have the emotional impact I thought it would.

Some of that was probably down to the fact that so many other war films (and others) have trodden the path of a group of enthusiastic, naive youngsters heading into danger and gradually being picked off one by one.

I also found there wasn't a lot of character development, so there wasn't much invested in them when they died.

One final point, I found the electronic boom used at times jarring and distracting. I heard the same in sci-fi series, Dark and sure enough it was the same composer.

It works in Dark, but seemed out of place here.

A good film, but not, I thought, a great one.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Watched two crackers two nights running. "Where The Crawdads Sing" and "Elvis".
    The first is a truly great film, beautifully shot, superb acting and plot.
    The second starts a little bit silly, but gets better and better. The 70's Vegas gigs are incredibly accurate (I believe he had the same movement coach as Malik in Bohemian Rhapsody).

Quote Originally Posted by MattMM View Post
    Aftersun. Slow paced but beautiful film, left me in absolute bits. Those of you with daughters and/or who experienced specific events in childhood will relate. Bit marmite, Mrs MM hated it, but she thinks The Notebook is an Oscar-worthy masterpiece, go figure.
    Just watched Aftersun, and agree it is brilliant. It is remarkable how a seemingly ordinary situation develops into such a powerful and devastating story.

Master
    The Shooter, currently showing on Sky Movies. A 2007 film with Mark Wahlberg, a good watch if you like that sort of theme https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0822854/

Fall on Netflix.

Was v. good but it gave me that same sense of stopping breathing that Gravity did.
    I bloody hate heights.
    Exactly what I came on to recommend. Was aware of it but had no intention of watching it but after a petty argument with SWMBO I joined the teenager in the other room and was surprisingly gripped. I actually missed the entire build up of why they were doing it but didn't see to matter.

Really was stomach churning stuff and especially if you're not a fan of heights and worth looking into how they filmed it to get the full effect. I was amazed they kept me engaged and interested for the 90-95mins that I watched considering there were only two lasses and a radio tower to look at.

They were both very attractive though!

Master

Anyone watched any good movies recently?

Fall on Netflix.

I bloody hate heights.
    I hate heights too, get clammy hands just watching the YouTube climbers.

Summit Fever I saw a couple of weeks ago & had me all tense with the heights, worth a watch if you like putting yourself on edge. Currently on Sky movies.

Will be watching the fall tonight.

Edit - just watched the first intro piece while waiting on a client. If it’s like that all the way I’m going to need towels for my hands.
    Last edited by Mj2k; 17th March 2023 at 15:17.

Master

Fisherman’s friends 2 Prime

Utterly daft / corny/ predictable, but a really nice feel good film with some stunning scenery around Port Issac ( Doc Martin) Cornwall.

The Oscar-winning short film, An Irish Goodbye, is currently on Iplayer and I can't recommend a better way of spending 23 minutes.

Also watched the Bill Nighy film, Living, on Friday. A film about an old man where almost nothing happens is just up my street. It's very much Nighy playing Nighy but none the worse for that and there a couple of excellent supporting performances, especially from Aimee Lou Wood. It very much makes we want to watch the Kurosawa film that it's a remake of. Interestingly, the depiction of the office environment very much destroys any nostalgia one might have for the 50s - I watched An Angel At My Table recently and that pretty much had the same effect.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Clovehitch killer on Netflix, wasn’t expecting much but really enjoyed it as it unfolded in a much different way to the usual thriller.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

The Chase (1966 film) - Marlon Brando - Jane fonda - Robert Duvall - Robert Redford
    Enjoyable drama/action with a very decent cast. worth watching