closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 15 of 162 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone watched any good movies recently?

Craftsman
    London Boulevard - proper hard man London crime. You just have to love a bit of home grown violent drama / gangster twist without all the Hollywood!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jamessh View Post
    London Boulevard - proper hard man London crime. You just have to love a bit of home grown violent drama / gangster twist without all the Hollywood!!
    +1, just watched it. But I am a bit annoyed by the actress.

I've also watched act of valor, which is nothing to write home about, but if you're looking for a good action movie to complement some chips/popcorn, it's a good choice.

Master

NEARLY FORGOT THIS ONE

Hey just remembered this one too, for any of you musical lovers on here............Immortal Beloved, just loved the scene where Beethoven, Gary Oldman, is put to the test with the latest piano available in Vienna, and with his head laid upon the piano..... starts the Moonlight sonata............Sorry guys just like to apologise ahead of any incoming flak in response to this...........cant help it ............think the tissues are still stuffed down the side of the sofa
    Last edited by munchies; 13th May 2013 at 23:37. Reason: spelling........oops

I just watched Moonrise Kingdom and enjoyed it a lot. Plenty of ideas, fine actors and actresses. The young ones are good as well, which is quite a performance.
    I do like Wes Anderson's movies and this one is really good. For once, it's rather optimistic.

Another plus for Star Trek.Even the good lady enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by lacroix4 View Post
    Another plus for Star Trek.Even the good lady enjoyed it.
    Watched the new one last night, thought it was pretty good.

Off to see Gatsby this weekend (g.f. choice), so we'll see how that fairs...

Saw "The Hangover Part III" a couple of weeks ago and thought it was a riot....check your brain at the door and enjoy the final film from the Wolf Pack!

Craftsman

Cool

enjoyed Oblivion, thought it was better than Iron Man III

On DVD, Jack Reacher was clever and gritty, but the sound quality on my dvd was crap

Wow, 2 Tom Cruise films and I do not consider myself a fan

Quote Originally Posted by lacroix4 View Post
    Another plus for Star Trek. Even the good lady enjoyed it.
    Saw this on Thursday at the BFI Imax. Loved it, just builds on the first one. The OH thought it was great as well.

another thumbs up for star trek. Oblivion was not bad as well, but there are several non sequiturs

Bullitt, best film ever, FACT!

Pain & Gain - howling good, the latest Star Trek - surprisingly good, The Bank Dick (W. C. Fields...) - beyond adjectives :))

Craftsman
    Django! with a silent D!

Master
    Rewatching the Lord of the Rings trilogy - started with the Fellowship of the Ring yesterday, forgetting just how damn good it was :)

I do like Lord of the Rings, but think the Hobbit so far is even better.

Been to the cinema loads lately but this weekend I watched:

Place Beyond the Pines - absolutely amazing film and the actual theme and outcome of the film was NOTHING like the synopsis and trailer portray! It's a film with 3 distinct parts and the acting is superb. Well recommended.

The Purge - saw the trailer a few weeks ago and the idea in this film is unique and it looked like it would be great. Sadly the execution was poor and there were plenty of really annoying scenes. Still bearable, and thankfully short, but not worth seeing if you're on the fence.

Quote Originally Posted by Ventura View Post
    Started watching The Hobbit last night but fell asleep before they had even left the Hobbit house. Not sure if that is a reflection of the movie or how tired I am. Will have another go at it tonight.

Craftsman
    Winter's Bone. My other half didn't like the fact it was so bleak, but not everything has to be sunshine and rainbows. Excellent film anyway. I think Jennifer Lawrence was very good (deserved the Oscar nomination), and on a purely shallow level she's really quite hot too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonmurgie View Post
    Place Beyond the Pines - absolutely amazing film and the actual theme and outcome of the film was NOTHING like the synopsis and trailer portray! It's a film with 3 distinct parts and the acting is superb. Well recommended.
    I agree that it's three distinct parts, but I couldn't work out the plot or the general point of the film.

I was bored to death after the first part ended.

A lot of people said the same about Drive, which I loved, so it's horses for courses but I couldn't warm to this film at all.

Can't agree with you here. Not saying Hobbit has been bad film this far but for my taste it's too much action and too much digital effects (at times I wasn't sure wether I was watching a movie or a video game cutscene). Good film but doesn't come close to Lord of the Rings.

Quote Originally Posted by VoleBoy View Post
    Winter's Bone. My other half didn't like the fact it was so bleak, but not everything has to be sunshine and rainbows. Excellent film anyway. I think Jennifer Lawrence was very good (deserved the Oscar nomination), and on a purely shallow level she's really quite hot too.
    Saw it due to your recommendation - many thanks. Exquisite indeed. And Mrs. Lawrence is a most rara avis.

Anyone watched any good movies recently?

Although I'm not a huge Star Trek fan I really enjoyed the film. Also last night I watched "Nothing but the Truth". Must have been good because I didn't fall asleep like I usually do while watching a movie in bed.

"Washington DC political journalist Rachel Armstrong (Kate Beckinsale) writes an explosive story about a government scandal in which she reveals the name of a covert CIA agent (Vera Farmiga). When a special government prosecutor (Matt Dillon) demands she divulge her source, she refuses and finds herself behind bars, struggling to defend the principles she has based her career upon."

Quote Originally Posted by Foucault717 View Post
    Can't agree with you here. Not saying Hobbit has been bad film this far but for my taste it's too much action and too much digital effects (at times I wasn't sure wether I was watching a movie or a video game cutscene). Good film but doesn't come close to Lord of the Rings.

Did you watch the 3d version with the funny frame rate or the normal one?

Did you watch the 3d version with the funny frame rate or the normal one?
    Normal one. Scenes I ment for example the rabbit sled chase, the escape from the goblin lair etc, they just felt bit long and silly. Also Azog looked really fake.
    Last edited by Foucault717; 4th June 2013 at 13:44.

An odd one that's surprisingly well made for it's type: Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter. The title says it all but it's big budget with good FX and not in any way a satire or spoof. Played dead (pun intended) straight.

Place beyond the pines - an American film like a Russian book (that was a compliment, if in doubt).

Watched The Savages the other day. Not a terrible movie, but just not particularly great. The question for me is why did Oliver Stone feel compelled to make such a mediocre movie? It's surprsingly lightweight (unless I missed the message) for a director who normally makes "serious" movies.

Watched 'The Last Boy Scout' again last night.

First time I'd seen it in years. Still made me laugh and reminded me of when I was a lot younger.

Not a 'serious' film, but a good watch if you like that sort of Bruce Willis flick...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robcat View Post
    Watched The Savages the other day. Not a terrible movie, but just not particularly great. The question for me is why did Oliver Stone feel compelled to make such a mediocre movie? It's surprsingly lightweight (unless I missed the message) for a director who normally makes "serious" movies.
    I've not seen the movie but am not surprised it wasn't great, the book is awful and i'm a huge Don Winslow fan! That the same author can write 'California fire and life' and then churn out 'Savages' is a travesty.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Well,having read the Jack Reacher novels i hummed & hawed and finally decided to watch the film. Can't say i was that fussed about it to be honest.
    I think they chose a badly in deciding which book to turn into a film. 'One Shot' is one of the more 'complicated' plotlines and,as such,the film either tried to compress vast amounts of it into a few minutes,took huge liberties with it or just omitted it altogether. What resulted was a very 'jumpy' film which went from A to B without any great clarity. Tom Cruise tried very hard to 'be' Jack Reacher. And that's the problem...it was like somebody trying to act hard at school. And it was amusing how the film makers tried to make him look taller than he is - built up shoes,raised floors,tricky camera angles etc.
    Pretty average overall.

Perks of being a wallflower - watched it last night and really enjoyed it. Really fancy Emma Watson now

We watched Flight yesterday. Slightly "preachy", but Denzel, as ever, was very good (worth his Oscar nomination), and the rest of the cast were excellent. Worth watching.

(In fact, I'm hard pushed to think of a Denzel movie that isn't at least good, if not briliiant.).

Fast 5. Not exactly challenging intellectually but does exactly what you'd expect.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by robcat View Post
    We watched Flight yesterday. Slightly "preachy", but Denzel, as ever, was very good (worth his Oscar nomination), and the rest of the cast were excellent. Worth watching.

(In fact, I'm hard pushed to think of a Denzel movie that isn't at least good, if not briliiant.).
    Try Safe House, it's crap

Not exactly a movie but I recently finished all the Game of Thrones books. So I bought the complete season 1 on DVD and watched em back to back. Very good.

Over the weekend season 2 ??

Master
    In Bruge does it for me, brilliant dark comedy!

Saw The Purge at the cinema last night. A film built on a good premise failed to deliver on promise. An excellent concept becomes a clichéd, predictable, silly film. Disappointing. Too short and hence seemed to finish abruptly too. 2 out of 5.

Or should this be in the bad movie thread? :-/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by K80 View Post
    Try Safe House, it's crap
    Watched it last night. Definitely not crap although Ryan Reynolds is not the best.

Regards, Craig

Re-watching 'From the Earth to the Moon'. It's not Bergman, but its very workmanlike and well worth watching if you are a bit of a space junky. Some of the scripts are clever, choosing to focus on other aspects of the space race and American society at the time. For example the Apollo 8 episode places it in context in the unrest of 1968 and the story of Apollo 13 is told from the perspective of a news reader in order not to repeat the film 'Apollo 13'.

At the moment TV seems to be producing better quality output than the cinema. I can't think of a film that I've actually liked since 'There will be blood'.

Master
    Finally watched Django the other night - absolutely brilliant. Well worth a watch!

Inland Empire. Weird even by Lynch standards but thoroughly enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by waiteu2 View Post
    Watched it last night. Definitely not crap although Ryan Reynolds is not the best.

Regards, Craig
    I agree. It's not Denzel's best work, but it was certainly watchable.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Inland Empire. Weird even by Lynch standards but thoroughly enjoyable.
    I'm a big Lynchy fan and that is decidely weird!

The rabbits!!!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Saw, "The assassination of Jesses James by the coward Robert Ford", last night.

Long winded title, long winded film too but very enjoyable.

Superb acting. Nick Cave does the score and is in it!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    I'm a big Lynchy fan and that is decidely weird!

The rabbits!!!
    Ah yes - the rabbits.

The script was apparently written day by day, and absolutely nobody (cast or crew) had a clue what was going on.

Went to see 'Man Of Steel' lastnight - really well made, pretty much Superman 1 & 2 rolled together without the campness of the originals.

We watched "Three Days of The Condor" from 1975 with Robert Redford and Faye Dunaway last night. Still topical and not showing its age at all.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Blog Entries
    I would recommend The Hangover series for a good laugh!

Journeyman

Wyatt Earp

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Can you tell us where you got it from - the Danish DVD doesn't seem to have any Engelsk subtitles and the only other copies seem to be on Amazon for $40-100?
    Watched wyatt Earp last week what a show I love cowboy films and that age I would of been a gun fighter val was amazing in it as doc holiday ,

Master
    Watched 'The Call' last night and thoroughly enjoyed it.
    An hour and a half of edge of your seat entertainment.
    I thought the ending could have been better, but still worth watching.