closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 148 of 162 FirstFirst ... 4898138146147148149150158 ... LastLast
Results 7,351 to 7,400 of 8058

Thread: Anyone watched any good movies recently?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jon8oy View Post
    Just watched The Big Short again. I've seen it many times, one of the greatest films ever made in my opinion.

As powerful, funny, and depressing as it always is - quite something to watch with the current global climate. A masterpiece.

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk
    Love this too. Almost went on this afternoon.

Watched "The Man Who Wanted to See It All" on Netflix last night.

A documentary about Heinz Stücke, who in 1962 left his home town in Germany with $300 and his bicycle to cycle the world for over 50 years. He covered 648,000km and visited 196 countries. A fascinating insight into a man who followed his dreams and now, in his 80's, is trying to collate his experiences and vast collection of photographs and memorabilia. A film that will definitely get you thinking 'what if'.

Cheers,
    Gary
    Last edited by Omegary; 18th December 2022 at 19:12. Reason: Got the title wrong, d'oh!

Quote Originally Posted by Omegary View Post
    Watched "The Man Who Wanted to See Everything" on Netflix last night.

A documentary about Heinz Stücke, who in 1962 left his home town in Germany with $300 and his bicycle to cycle the world for over 50 years. He covered 648,000km and visited 196 countries. A fascinating insight into a man who followed his dreams and now, in his 80's, is trying to collate his experiences and vast collection of photographs and memorabilia. A film that will definitely get you thinking 'what if'.

Cheers,
    Gary
    That looks right up my street - took me a moment to find, it's actually "The Man Who Wanted to See It All"
    Thanks
    M
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    That looks right up my street - took me a moment to find, it's actually "The Man Who Wanted to See It All"
    Thanks
    M
    Sorry M, title corrected.

Finally got around to watching Unbroken, the true story of Louis Zamperini.

Gruelling, but excellent and ultimately uplifting.

M

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Craftsman
    Just watched Knives Out with the Mrs. Second viewing having watch a couple years ago, very entertaining and a fun ensemble cast. Looking forward to Glass Onion!

Journeyman
    Watched Cabin in the Woods for the first time in years last night.. a fun film if you fancy something different, I had no idea what was going on the first time I watched it!!

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

Just re watched bad Santa again, introduced the Mrs to it.

Some great one liners in there.

Recommended to pass away 1 1/2 hours of your day, plus have a giggle or two

Sent from my IN2013 using Tapatalk

Currently on Disney + : Quirky, funny at times but quite dark with excellent performances, not for everyone but I loved it.

Anyone watched any good movies recently?

Paddington 2, now playing on BBC 1

Superb cast, superbly made and an excellent all round family film for young and old.

Long live nuckles mcginty

It's not the first, or the last time I'll be watching this film

Talking of nuckles, funnily enough he’s in the film posted above.
    In Bruges later I think.
    Last edited by nickyboyo; 23rd December 2022 at 17:34.

Quote Originally Posted by nickyboyo View Post
    Paddington 2, now playing on BBC 1

Superb cast, superbly made and an excellent all round family film for young and old.

Long live nuckles mcginty

It's not the first, or the last time I'll be watching this film

Talking of nuckles, funnily enough he’s in the film posted above.
    In Bruges later I think.
    Yep both Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson star in In Bruges. An excellent film in itself.

Master
    I’m not sure if the new Avatar belongs in this thread, in spite of its visual spectacle. I found the constant changes of frame rate jarring and they really took me out of the film. The 48 frames per second sections look like TV or video games, or TVs that are set up wrongly with that awful ‘intelligent frame creation’ setting turned on, which ruins films (if you have this switched on, as a director I beg you, please just switch it to ‘off’). Maybe high frame rates are useful for sports and games, but the ‘magic of cinema’ comes from your imagination working quite hard to fill in the gaps between 24 frames per second. Without it, suspension of disbelief and immersion in the story become much harder. I found myself painfully aware that I was sitting in my cinema seat throughout the entire three hours, even in the middle of a 3D IMAX, so the experience was more like visiting an aquarium than getting lost in a film. A pity, as the first film seen in IMAX 3D made me feel like I’d actually visited an alien planet.

Watched 'The Stranger' last night - a 2022 Aussie true story which follows the undercover police 'sting' operation that eventually bought to justice the murderous paedophile who abducted and killed 13YO Daniel Morcombe in 2003.

It sounds bleak, and I guess it is, but it's also a story told well and with considerable originality, one that makes you truly appreciate how difficult the work undercover police officers do really is, and is a supreme antidote to the awful samey-ness, brainless predictability and nauseating mawk of most US offerings, especially at this time of year.

Watched Glass Onion last night. Not bad at all - I'd give it 7/10
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Saw Avatar World of Water today. Superb. Long but I hardly noticed.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    A few classics with a similar theme. My pre-teen son now wants to be a trader, and I'm not sure he that is the true message.

Trading Place.
    The Big short

Just watched “Don’t Look Up” [2021] on That Netflix - a very on-point, zeitgeist-riddled apocalyptic black comedy, with a really decent cast, who all deliver.

Meryl Streep as Trump-with-tits is an especially pleasing “fuck-you” to the man who described her as “…one of the most overrated actresses in Hollywood, doesn’t know me but attacked last night at the Golden Globes.”.

The plot revolves around the discovery of a 9 km (i.e. big enough to annihilate all of life) comet that is heading for Earth, and follows both it and the trajectories of its discoverers, its deniers, its political fallout, attempts to divert it (or not), and how the whole insane mess is handled in a post-facts World…

Critics, especially right-leaning, have scorned it, but interestingly Actual Fucking Scientists have praised it very highly. In a very minor way, I was a scientist once, and I loved it too.

Lots of low-key laughs and tidy sight gags which somehow don’t trivialise it, and lots and LOTS of believability. Far too much for comfort.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don%27t_Look_Up

Master
    Blog Entries
    Watched Kind Hearts and Coronets this week and it was a superb yarn.

Last night watched the Dirty Dozen for the first time and can see where lots of inspiration for Auf Weidershen Pet and other films like Suicide Squad.

Both had out of date language unfortunately, but I guess it was very much of the time.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    I normally despise who-done-its but this was alright. Agree with your score and might watch the other one.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    I normally despise who-done-its but this was alright. Agree with your score and might watch the other one.
    I reckon the other one was better.

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Meryl Streep as Trump-with-smaller-tits
    FTFY

Journeyman
    I don't watch TV much, but i was introduced to Yellowstone this week and realy enjoyed that. Costner made for his role.

The king of Tulsa came up on my news feed, so tried that. Excellent. Stallone does not look 75. thought he acted really well. Ideal role

Quote Originally Posted by LuvWatch View Post
    Currently on Disney + : Quirky, funny at times but quite dark with excellent performances, not for everyone but I loved it.

Great shout, superb!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I didn't click with the TV series Reacher so last night I watched the original Tom Cruise film Jack Reacher from 2012

Yes, its a pretty formulaic Tom Cruise film but I thought it was good easy watching. I'm going to watch the second one (Jack Reacher Never Go Back) tonight to see how that is

I finally got round to watching the new Top Gun last night, thoroughly enjoyed it.

Master
    Thought Glass Onion was poor, Daniel Craig's accent is daft and the story predicable.

Just finished All Quiet On The Western Front, not your usual thrilling war movie but very well made and thought provoking as to the horror/futility of it all.

Master
    Two great fillums i would like to mention:
    The Pianist with Adrien Brody
    And Bicentennial Man, just watching it atm

Donnie Brasco

not seen it for years... It's a classic - Depp and Pacino at their best

Another one who got to watch Top Gun Maverick. Excellent fun and a bit of nostalgia

Master
    Watched Violent Night a few days back, bit different and the whole family enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by johnboy9876 View Post
    I didn't click with the TV series Reacher so last night I watched the original Tom Cruise film Jack Reacher from 2012

Yes, its a pretty formulaic Tom Cruise film but I thought it was good easy watching. I'm going to watch the second one (Jack Reacher Never Go Back) tonight to see how that is

So I watched the second Jack Reacher film last night..........utter drivel!
    I switched it off after an hour. It became ridiculous and so very poorly acted. Oh well a good money maker for Tom Cruise I guess

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post

+1, although Daniel Craig's "Deep South" drawl leaves a bit to be desired - it's 90% there but there are a lot of words he trips up on and it does ruin the aesthetic of the film.
    The acting is brilliant, great character-driven movie and a few subtle laughs along the way.

Blog Entries
    Lamborghini:the man behind the legend

Complete waste of time,poor acting,bad story,bad camera....

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt5533370/

Quote Originally Posted by igorRIJEKA View Post
    Lamborghini:the man behind the legend

Complete waste of time,poor acting,bad story,bad camera....

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt5533370/
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...tched-recently

Quote Originally Posted by LuvWatch View Post

Try "the Guard"
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Elvis last night, enjoyable to watch, and I’m not a big fan of his music to be fair.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Try "the Guard"
    The Guard is written and directed by JM McDonagh, the brother of the writer/director (Martin McDonagh) of Banshees of Inisherin - the McDonagh brothers are tremendously talented! Calvary is another from JM McDonagh that is brilliant and starring Brendan Gleeson.

The Guard is written and directed by JM McDonagh, the brother of the writer/director (Martin McDonagh) of Banshees of Inisherin - the McDonagh brothers are tremendously talented! Calvary is another from JM McDonagh that is brilliant and starring Brendan Gleeson.

Thanks for the info, Calvary is now on the list
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Thanks for the info, Calvary is now on the list
    My pleasure, saw Calvary at the cinema when it came out and loved it. Not as humourous as The Guard from memory, but a very good film. Let me know if you enjoy it!

Craftsman
    Everything, Everywhere All At Once.

I am a bit late to this, and was intrigued by all the reviews. First half comes across as a sci fi film you've seen lots of times, but as it progresses it drew me in, and the last 10-15 mins I found genuinely moving. Great film...though I can imagine it dividing opinion.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    +1, although Daniel Craig's "Deep South" drawl leaves a bit to be desired - it's 90% there but there are a lot of words he trips up on and it does ruin the aesthetic of the film.
    The acting is brilliant, great character-driven movie and a few subtle laughs along the way.
    Good but not as good as the first one. Two remarkable moments in the movie. Not spoiling #1 but the second is a missed chance: Craig would have come away with it when he'd said: "I'm not James Bond!" Fun thing: when the Greek mainland scenes start, there's a James Bond-like melody accompanying the visual effects. Nicely done!

Plus: I take my hat off for Craig's wardrobe. Quirky but stylish!

ust watched “Don’t Look Up”
    You've just inspired me to re-watch Don't look now.
    Last edited by thieuster; 2nd January 2023 at 12:53.

Watched Bullet Train with Brad Pitt recently. Fairly predictable plot but I thought it was really entertaining with some great cameos.

Sent from my HD1903 using Tapatalk

Master
    Watched Violent Night. Not artistically competant or amazing but my new favourite Christmas film.
    I did notice it was directed by Tommy Wirkola of Dead Snow 1 and 2 fame and there were shades of the humour and gore present.

Just watched the Whitney Houston film at the pictures.
    Wow - really excellent (I thought so anyway).

Master
    A mix of new and old.

Top Gun Maverick: Third time around and still great.
    Die Hard. Christmas fare for me. I also usually watch The Muppets Christmas Carol and National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation but they both got a reprieve this year.
    Mulholland Drive. I'm never sure what to think of David Lynch. An odd movie with some moments of brillance.

Master

Anyone watched any good movies recently?

Not a movie but a Netflix series. I started watching Blood origin the Witcher. It was the lazy fantasy crap that makes for easy watching.

It was going okay with some elves and dwarves , politics and fights, and then Lenny Henry appeared as a wizard of some sort and spoke with a brummie accent.

I don’t have anything against the accent but I can’t get past Tizwas.

second that - watched it again last week - excellent !!

However i think 'in Bruges' is even better with similar cast, directed by Martin McDonagh and funny cameo from Ralph fiennes. has more humour than the The Guard, but similar crazyness

To Die for

really good Thriller - enjoyed the not too predicable plot, and 80's look even though it was shot in 1995

starring Nicole Kidman, Matt Dillon, and very young Joaquin Phoenix & Casey Affleck with cameo from David Cronenberg

The Shawshank Redemption.
    I saw it on the telly. What a great ending. I enjoyed it. I haven't seen it before because I don't watch films very much. I have only been to the cinema twice. The first time Dad took me to see The Battle of Britain, the next time was to see Tora, Tora, Tora. that was the last time I went to a cinema and we don't have a video or any of that fancy telly. Just the main channels. This film was good though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos View Post
    The Shawshank Redemption.
    I saw it on the telly. What a great ending. I enjoyed it. I haven't seen it before because I don't watch films very much. I have only been to the cinema twice. The first time Dad took me to see The Battle of Britain, the next time was to see Tora, Tora, Tora. that was the last time I went to a cinema and we don't have a video or any of that fancy telly. Just the main channels. This film was good though.
    think you could be taking the michael ? cinema twice ? Tora, Tora, Tora was released in 1941 so you must be at least 80 years old ?

However Tora, Tora, Tora is an excellent film !!