closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 135 of 161 FirstFirst ... 3585125133134135136137145 ... LastLast
Results 6,701 to 6,750 of 8032

Thread: Anyone watched any good movies recently?

Free Fire on Prime- Absolutely brilliant, IRA gun deal gone wrong, loads of shooting, and very funny in places. Has a Guy Richie vibe.
    Cheers..
    Jase

The Lincoln Lawyer on Prime video is a very good legal/courtroom/thriller, starring Matthew Mconaughey.

I used to actively avoid any film with Matthew Mconaughey, but he's really quite a decent actor.

The film, ironically, that made me reconsider was Reign Of Fire where he was totally unrecognizable from the smarmy, romcom staple he'd been in everything I'd seen before!

This is a good film.

There's a reference to it in one of Connolly's Mickey Haller/Bosch novels in a quirky fiction meets fact twist.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Last edited by snowman; 5th September 2021 at 15:46.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    I watched Rurouni Kenshin: The Beginning at the w/e on Netflix and enjoyed it. Sword fight scenes were really good and cinematography also on point. All 5 films are on Netflix though you need to decide the best order https://biggestinjapan.com/index.php...-action-films/ It's subtitled btw

Foxcatcher - very good film based on a true story.

I had previously watched the documentary a few years back which you can find on Netflix - Team Foxcatcher.

Both worth a watch.

Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    I watched Rurouni Kenshin: The Beginning at the w/e on Netflix and enjoyed it. Sword fight scenes were really good and cinematography also on point. All 5 films are on Netflix though you need to decide the best order https://biggestinjapan.com/index.php...-action-films/ It's subtitled btw
    So what order did you watch them in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just watched Icarus on Netflix. A really good account imo of the doping scandal in Sports and in particular the Russian State Sponsored Doping of their Olympic athletes over many decades.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    I just watched Icarus on Netflix. A really good account imo of the doping scandal in Sports and in particular the Russian State Sponsored Doping of their Olympic athletes over many decades.
    Agree. I’m not a big sports fan but found this amazing to watch.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    So what order did you watch them in?

Well I watched "The Beginning" before I realised there were 4 others. So I am a bit stuffed. I will probably do it chronologically now. That article does say that "The Beginning" is the best film too.

This really is a cracker, thoroughly enjoyed revisiting.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Master
    Watched Archive on Sky last night. Good slow burns sci-fi. Nice twist at the end. Need to rewatch it.

Master
    Watched Worth on Netflix last night as it was 20 years since 9/11...about deciding how much each life was worth as a result of the attack.

Considering the subject i thought it was well done.

I AM MOTHER

Pretty tidy sci-fi brain teaser.

On Netflix.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Operative with Diane Kruger and Martin Freeman.

I took a few Netflix downloads with me to Cyprus.

The Siege Of Jadotville - This was a pleasant surprise. It's a film (based on a real event) about a group of Irish soldiers on a supposed peace-keeping mission in the early 1960s, fighting against mercenaries in the Congo. I feared it might be a made-for-TV gung-ho horror, but it's actually a really rather good film and, by all accounts, fairly accurate to the events. Definitely worth a watch.

The Mule - Another late era Clint Eastwood film. Not up there with Gran Torino, but an enjoyable watch, nonetheless.

Shoot 'em Up - A guilty pleasure film for me. I always like Clive Owen and he's particularly good in this. Monica Bellucci, of course, is gorgeous and Paul Giamatti is manically deranged as the bad guy. You got the feeling they all had a lot of fun making this and it doesn't take itself at all seriously. The title, though, gives you an idea of what to expect - It's not 'Remains of the Day'....

47 Ronin - I'd avoided this for a long while as I'd seen nothing but bad reviews, but it was entertaining enough. Certainly not a bad film, if, perhaps, not a terribly memorable one.

M

Another shout for Free Fire on Prime well worth a watch

Craftsman
    The green book - the best film I’ve watched in months! Lengthy but worth every second

- - - Updated - - -

Whiplash was great too, incredible performance from JK Simmons

Master
    Love and Monsters on Netflix is good fun, in a kind of zombieland meets warm bodies meets giant bugs way.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I took a few Netflix downloads with me to Cyprus.

The Siege Of Jadotville - This was a pleasant surprise. It's a film (based on a real event) about a group of Irish soldiers on a supposed peace-keeping mission in the early 1960s, fighting against mercenaries in the Congo. I feared it might be a made-for-TV gung-ho horror, but it's actually a really rather good film and, by all accounts, fairly accurate to the events. Definitely worth a watch.

The Mule - Another late era Clint Eastwood film. Not up there with Gran Torino, but an enjoyable watch, nonetheless.

I liked both of these so I must give the other two a watch. I'm half way through The Guns of Navarone, which I had seen before, and am loving

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Came in here to post the same , really enjoyed it.
    Ditto - even the Mrs enjoyed it

The Mercy - This was on BBC2 recently and tells the true story of Donald Crowhurst, an amateur (and very inexperienced) sailor who took part in the Golden Globe solo round the world yacht race in 1968/69.

I didn't know anything of this story, so I won't spoil it for anyone else in a similar position, but it's a very sad film of a man out of his depth (literally and metaphorically).

Well worth a watch with great performances from Colin Firth as Donald and Rachel Weisz as his wife, plus an excellent supporting cast of British actors (Ken Stott and Mark Gattis, especially), but not one to cheer you up, I suspect.

M

I've just noticed that Searching For Sugar Man is on Amazon Prime. It's excellent.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Once Upon a Time in America.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by halfpasttwothirty View Post
    Once Upon a Time in America.
    Up there with the first two Godfather films for me, superb.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidd View Post
    Up there with the first two Godfather films for me, superb.
    Thoroughly enjoyed all 3hrs 49mins of it.

I must have been asleep when it was released.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    The Mercy - This was on BBC2 recently and tells the true story of Donald Crowhurst, an amateur (and very inexperienced) sailor who took part in the Golden Globe solo round the world yacht race in 1968/69.

I didn't know anything of this story, so I won't spoil it for anyone else in a similar position, but it's a very sad film of a man out of his depth (literally and metaphorically).

Well worth a watch with great performances from Colin Firth as Donald and Rachel Weisz as his wife, plus an excellent supporting cast of British actors (Ken Stott and Mark Gattis, especially), but not one to cheer you up, I suspect.

M
    Really good film. I watched it when it was on the other night. Great acting all around.

Considering it's just Jake Gyllenhaal on the phone for 1.5hrs, I thought 'the guilty' was a pretty good watch last night. Apparently a remake of a Danish movie, but not seen that

Free Guy on Disney + is great fun. I have a bit of a man crush on Ryan Reynolds. Not as much as my crush on Jodie Comer but whatever.
    Cheers..
    Jase

I'm kinda looking forward to this "reunion" of the original Halloween cast 40 years later in Halloween Kills: Return to Haddonfield.

OVERLORD

Goes from violent WW2 actioner akin to Saving Private Ryan into something else entirely halfway through...

Great fun but not for the faint-hearted! Low budget and fairly unknown actors, but produced by J.J.Abrams so you know it's a good 'un.

Taped it from C4 the other day, maybe it's on demand.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    Considering it's just Jake Gyllenhaal on the phone for 1.5hrs, I thought 'the guilty' was a pretty good watch last night. Apparently a remake of a Danish movie, but not seen that
    Ive seen the Danish one but not the American version - Danish version was excellent! Its a Locke type film - i enjoyed that too!

Watched Kate on Netflix, and it was fun, and forgettable. Nice support from Woody Harrelson, and some interesting cinematography, shootouts, action scenes. Some nice bits of Japanese culture.

Also watched Color Out Of Space on Amazon Prime, and it was OK, but didn't hold my attention. Stylish, and some nice performances, but fairly predictable. Also a bit grim - don't watch if you're on a downer.

Master
    No time to die.
    2001 a Space Odyssey.

Just watched Man On Fire for probably the fifth time. It's currently on Netflix and one of my all time favourites.

It's 2 hours 26 minutes long but well worth the time.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

We watched "The Midnight Sky" a few days ago.

This is a Netflix film, with George Clooney as a scientist trying to warn some astronauts about returning to Earth after a cataclysmic event.

I rather enjoyed it, it's not a Marvel paced movie, but it has enough action to keep things moving along and has some moments of peril and pathos.

It gets some terrible reviews online (ponderous, slow, etc), but these don't really seem to reflect what I saw and I suspect come from people expecting Fast N Furious/Marvel levels of action and plot (ie virtually nothing to think about).

I wouldn't say it was the best film I've seen in ages, but I certainly didn't regret watching it, probably about 7/10.

The end did seem a bit odd, though, I must admit.

M

Quote Originally Posted by sickie View Post
    Just watched Man On Fire for probably the fifth time. It's currently on Netflix and one of my all time favourites.

I did too, and completely agree.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    Watched Kate on Netflix, and it was fun, and forgettable. Nice support from Woody Harrelson, and some interesting cinematography, shootouts, action scenes. Some nice bits of Japanese culture.

Also watched Color Out Of Space on Amazon Prime, and it was OK, but didn't hold my attention. Stylish, and some nice performances, but fairly predictable. Also a bit grim - don't watch if you're on a downer.
    Tried Kate again, not a fan to be honest. Tried it previously and gave up after 20mins. Halfway through earlier and wondering why I tried, just seems too generic

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    I did too, and completely agree.
    Another fan here. Even my wife is happy to repeat this film over & over.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by sickie View Post

Agreed. Probably my favourite and most watched film. Never gets old even though you know every every line and how it ends.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Re: Man on Fire, anyone seen the original from 17 years before the Denzel Washington version? Pretty decent cast apparently - Scott Glenn as Creasey with Joe Pesci, Brooke Adams and Jonathan Pryce.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    Re: Man on Fire, anyone seen the original from 17 years before the Denzel Washington version? Pretty decent cast apparently - Scott Glenn as Creasey with Joe Pesci, Brooke Adams and Jonathan Pryce.
    I didn't even realise there was a previous version.
    I think I'll hunt about for it and compare it.

Usually originals are the best version so if I find it I'll give an opinion here.
    Might take a while tho

I just watched it (it's on Amazon Prime). A very European film (French director, mostly Italian cast) big on cinemaphotography. Scott Glenn does a decent job as an ex-CiA operative suffering from PTSD after Vietnam, Beirut, etc, and the little girl is great. Nice scenery - filmed around Lake Como, and nice cars - he drives a Mk.II Jag and the kidnappers drive a Citroën SM, plus the usual Italian stuff from the 80s.

Another oddity, the film is narrated by Creasey with a voice-off, à la Blade Runner.

Finally not a bad film, not exactly the same storyline as the Tony Scott version and not as glossy, different enough that comparison is not really relevant.
    Last edited by SimonK; 7th October 2021 at 18:44.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    I just watched it (it's on Amazon Prime). A very European film (French director, mostly Italian cast) big on cinemaphotography. Scott Glenn does a decent job as an ex-CiA operative suffering from PTSD after Vietnam, Beirut, etc, and the little girl is great. Nice scenery - filmed around Lake Como, and nice cars - he drives a Mk.II Jag and the kidnappers drive a Citroën SM, plus the usual Italian stuff from the 80s. I even added text in several spots via this tool for my gf as a hint.

Another oddity, the film is narrated by Creasey with a voice-off, à la Blade Runner.

Finally not a bad film, not exactly the same storyline as the Tony Scott version and not as glossy, different enough that comparison is not really relevant.

Watched The Many Saints of New Ark. The first impression was that it was too weak in terms of the plot. I guess I need to rewatch it several times. Maybe I didn't notice something.
    Last edited by Owren; 11th October 2021 at 21:34. Reason: spelling

I just watched that "Sopranos" prequel...the one where James Gandolfini's son plays young Tony.

It sucked!

If you want an easy watching feel good film I can thoroughly recommend The Fundamentals of Caring. I found it seriously funny, thought provoking and touching. Really good movie on Netflix. I reckon it could score good brownie points with the S.O. too.

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    I just watched that "Sopranos" prequel...the one where James Gandolfini's son plays young Tony.

It sucked!
    That was my opinion as well PC. I felt it veered between caricature and predictable, added nothing to the Tony story and who cares about Dickie Moltisanti anyway. Also in some ways it contradicted the series.
    Last edited by Passenger; 15th October 2021 at 14:47.

Master
    Quite enjoyed No Sudden Move, Steven Soderbergh directs Don Cheadle,Benicio Del Toro, Brendan Fraser, Julia Fox et al in a bit of double/triple-and-onwards-crossing crime movie.

Craftsman
    Just finished The Criminal on Netflix, never heard of it before, a bit far fetched but thought it was excellent.
    Has a cast of stars.
    Ryan Reynolds, Tommy Lee Jones, Kevin Costner, Gary Oldman, Gal Galot.

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post

It sucked!
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    That was my opinion as well PC. I felt it veered between caricature and predictable, added nothing to the Tony story and who cares about Dickie Moltisanti anyway. Also in some ways it contradicted the series.
    I'm about half way through. It doesn't stand up as a film, but it maybe does as an extended TV special.

Thoughts so far, bearing in mind I'm just at the point where we first see teenage Tony:
    1. No proper story. Younger versions of The Sopranos characters are in it, but there's no real narrative.
    2. It relies a bit too much on you knowing The Sopranos storyline. It's been quite a few years since the series finished, and I can't really remember all of the characters.
    3. Ray Liotta hasn't added much so far (or maybe hasn't been given much to work with), and I'm a bit worried that he's been given more screen time than his part deserves because he's, well, Ray Liotta.

The thing that's really confusing me though, is how much Dickie Moltonsanti looks like The Sopranos character Mikey Palmice.