closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 13 of 161 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone watched any good movies recently?

Watched Oblivion last night.

" 'The Matrix' meets 'Star Wars' meets 'I AM Legend' "

Thats my review ;)

Quote Originally Posted by barsa View Post
    This movie was one of the biggest suprise in recent times for me. It has a new style in argentine cinema. I highly recommend Ricardo Darin's movies like Nine Queens, Chinese Take-Away, The Aura, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by pluseditor View Post
    I recorded the Argentinian movie The Secrets In Their Eyes last week from BBC 4 and watched it las night. Stunningly good I have to say. Interesting, beautifully acted and made.
    I agree - a very underrated film in my opinion. I'd go so far as to say its one of the best films i've seen in the last couple of years.

Saw "Heat" again last night.

Still as good as I remember.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Once a month, myself and a few good friends meet to watch 2 films back to back, the only rule is one has to be foreign subtitled and the other anything non mainstream. We then score the films like nerds and have a 'film of the year'. Anyway, only 4 months into this year and we have seen 2 cracking films which may well be fighting it out for film of the year come December. One is simply called 'The Woman' and the other is called 'The Revenant'. Neither are for the feint hearted and contain extreme violence and gore

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1714208/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1336006/?ref_=sr_1

Interestingly they only score in the 6's on IMDB but I have put them both at an 8!

Quote Originally Posted by pluseditor View Post
    I recorded the Argentinian movie The Secrets In Their Eyes last week from BBC 4 and watched it las night. Stunningly good I have to say. Interesting, beautifully acted and made.
    Me and my nerd film mates voted this the best foreign film of the year in 2010. Absolutely brilliant!

Just got back from seeing Oblivion. Surprisingly good in my opinion. Not great, but at least a grown-up sci-fi and the cinematography is stunning.

I think The Matrix meets Independence Day meets I Am Legend is closer. 😊
    Last edited by quoll; 12th April 2013 at 12:16.

Master
    Don't know if it's been mentioned already, a few weeks ago I saw 'In Time'.
    A brilliant and extreme look at how distribution of wealth affects different parts of society, only in this case wealth means time and how long you have to live.

Some live minute by minute borrowing time from lenders, others(the wealthy) have thousands of years.
    Criminals steal your time.

Interestingly the key players have watchmakers names.
    You'll hear them during the film but watch the credits afterwards for a full list.

Don't expect it to be an arty film with wonderful acting, it's just an extreme look at extreme poverty, extreme wealth and the morality or lack of it affects our society.
    You'll see how the authorities and the wealthy feel that the systems have to be in place to make society work.

Craftsman
    Rififi. Old school French film noir. Highly recommended and I think a lot of people here will get a kick out of the very, very long and clever heist scene completely without any dialogue at all. I don't think there could have been a Reservoir Dogs without Rififi :-)

Cheers
    Mabuse

Watched the Hobbit. I really enjoyed it. Odd thing was, I was moaning to the wife, how on earth could they spread it out over 3 films and almost 3 hours probably each. After watching the first part i.e. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, I thought it was short by about an hour to hour and half

Grand Master
    Watched three films last night.
    New Jack City (1991)
    Sunshine (2007)
    Sorcerer (1977)

I've got to say all were excellent but Sorcerer is close to a masterpiece
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Sorcerer is brilliant. Friedkin has been trying to reclaim the rights to get it re-released uncut.

Watched, "44 inch chest" last night.

Bit of a thin plotline but an hour and a half of some very good actors effing and blinding was very enjoyable.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Quote Originally Posted by mungosdad View Post
    I watched The Master recently and I fall into the hate camp. It just didn't connect with me. I was disappointed as I'm fan of PT Anderson, I loved There Will be Blood.
    Watched The Master, and I'm afraid I just didn't get what it was trying to say. Quality acting and cinematography, but the story just left me non-plussed. I've liked most of his other films, especially There Will Be Blood.

Becket.Peter O'Toole at his brilliant best
    Last edited by patrick; 15th April 2013 at 15:42. Reason: first wrote O'Toole making it sound like I know him

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by quoll View Post
    Just got back from seeing Oblivion. Surprisingly good in my opinion. Not great, but at least a grown-up sci-fi and the cinematography is stunning.

I think The Matrix meets Independence Day meets I Am Legend is closer. 
    I saw this last night. Not a bad film at all. A bit predictable, but as you say, beautifully shot in places.
    Last edited by Chewy; 24th April 2013 at 21:20.

Quote Originally Posted by GMTMaster View Post
    Watched Oblivion last night.

" 'The Matrix' meets 'Star Wars' meets 'I AM Legend' "

Thats my review ;)

I saw Oblivion and quite enjoyed it. Huge production values and not a bad story. The end though reminded me sooo much of Independence Day.

Maybe we could all STFU about the end of Oblivion. Thank you.

Oh ffs not this again. Did I say exactly what?? Nope.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    Maybe we could all STFU about the end of Oblivion. Thank you.
    I agree, some of us haven't seen it yet

...more pre- Alien (1979) research as prompted by Seamaster 73's post. Purely for academic interest of course. Planet of the Vampires (1965), which has a much more impressive original Italian title: Terrore Nello Spazio. Why couldn't they just call it Terror In Space?

Not as strong a movie as It! in my opinion, but it does cover the first half of Alien nicely. Conclusion: The on-planet part of Alien was based on this, followed by It! for the in-spaceship section.

This does have the redeeming feature of some decorative Italian babes and particularly ludicrous spacesuit costumes though.

I'll have to investigate another iconic film's dark history now.

Seconds - Rock Hudson, 1966. Watched it last night ;)

Craftsman
    Watched beasts of the southern wild last night. Very good and not what i was expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
    Seconds - Rock Hudson, 1966. Watched it last night ;)

I have heard that is very good. I must see if I can get hold of a copy to watch it.
    Last edited by quoll; 17th April 2013 at 12:52.

If you're looking for something a little out of the ordinary, try In My Father's Den. Set in New Zealand and with a great central performance from Matthew Macfadyen I'd recommend seeking it out.

Also set in NZ but a rather different film - Once Were Warriors. Worth a watch.

Quote Originally Posted by PCthug View Post
    I agree, some of us haven't seen it yet
    Sorry fellas. Im no good with secrets either.

I've been meaning to write up the other two documentaries that we saw many weeks ago at the Berlinale.

First up is The Moo Man - it's a film about a Sussex farmer and his relationship with his cows and how he tries to make a living without being shafted by the supermarkets over the price of milk. Most significantly all of his milk is sold unpasteurised. It was filmed over 3-4 years and really just has the farmer talking, the cows mooing and other rural happenings. It's a really relaxed film and nothing much happens, a trip to Eastbourne with one of the cows (Ida) as a marketing stunt is one of the major events, and I found it quite life-affirming.

http://the-mooman.co.uk/
    http://www.hookandson.co.uk/

The pitiful jobsworths from the Food Standards are currently in the business of taking Steve Hook, the farmer, to court and I believe there is a hearing next week. This sort of stuff really makes my blood boil - particularly as they always go after the little man.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-17479147

The second film was Make Hummous , Not War which is a light-hearted look at the status of Hummous as a national dish in more than one Middle Eastern country. Very enjoyable.

http://www.makehummusnotwar.com/

In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

I watched The Hobbit again last night on blu ray and I really enjoyed it. More than I did than at the cinema.

my precious

Loved to have watched it in HD. Thankfully I didn't watch the high frame rate version that Jackson put in many cinemas.

Bit of a retro one... saw it two decades ago as a teen, being fed on John Hughes comedies thought it was way too dark and boring, but now 20 years later found it rather interesting. A lot of it reminiscence of the 80s and my youth I suppose, but still some great performances esp. Robert Downey Jr.

LESS THAN ZERO

Master
    Watched prometheus last night, having been told it was awful, and really enjoyed it.

Blog Entries
    Watched a few movies on a transatlantic flight this weekend

Argo - enjoyed it much more than I'd expected. Very tense & well directed.

Jack Reacher - meh. Another Tom Cruise publicity vehicle. Entertaining - if a bit Predictable.

End of Watch - gritty & gory LA police story. I quite liked it. Even it is a little coincidental that the same 2 cops keep getting the big busts.

The Campaign. Will Ferrel being Will Ferrel & doing & saying things that made me laugh out loud. Which seemed to distract stinky Johnny fartpants sitting next to me - but hey ho. If he farts stink bombs for 8h - he can hardly complain at my laughter. :)

z
    Last edited by zelig; 21st April 2013 at 21:47.

Seven Psychopaths is worth watching. I know the "film within the film" thing has been done before, but it's a refeshing change from typical Tarantino-wannabe movies. Also, the cast are excelllent, and the humour jet-black.

once upon a time in Anatolia

is very very good. especially the photography . it's a bit like a movie length remake of of 'cracker' directed by the adopted love child of mike Leigh and Terence mallick , but in Turkish
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Well I just watched Blazing Saddles again tonight on dvd and it's still one of the funniest films ever.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Film4 9pm tonight, the Naked Gun. Oh yes oh yes oh yes!

Quote Originally Posted by quoll View Post
    I have heard that is very good. I must see if I can get hold of a copy to watch it.
    Think the full version of Seconds is on stagevu.com

For those who haven't seen it Munich on BBC1 tonight is fantastic movie.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventura View Post
    Loved to have watched it in HD. Thankfully I didn't watch the high frame rate version that Jackson put in many cinemas.
    I made the mistake of watching the HFR 3D version initially, it was awful and completely spoiled the film for me. I can't really describe the effect, other than to say it was like watching some low budget, made for tv kids show.

Since I've been a big fan of the books all my life, and read them at least once a year, I went back and saw the 2D version and absolutely loved it!

Quote Originally Posted by Albellisimo View Post
    Think the full version of Seconds is on stagevu.com
    I have now watched it and can confirm that I think it is exceptionally good. Totally unlike anything else Rock Hudson did.

The version I watched was the director's 'restored' version. A surprising amount of fill frontal nudity - none of which appeared in the 1966 theatrical release.

If you like superhero movies, Iron Man 3 is a blast. Not quite as good as the first one in my opinion, but a lot better than Iron Man 2.

My 13 year old son loved it, which was the whole point really.

Quote Originally Posted by miff View Post
    I made the mistake of watching the HFR 3D version initially, it was awful and completely spoiled the film for me. I can't really describe the effect, other than to say it was like watching some low budget, made for tv kids show.

Since I've been a big fan of the books all my life, and read them at least once a year, I went back and saw the 2D version and absolutely loved it!

Cool, did you feel that despite the almost 3 hours it was too short, even though it's only a third of the way through?

Journeyman
    I watched Moon for the first time last night. Really good sci-fi that's on the right side of plausible.

I enjoyed Savages but its not everyones cup of tea

It's had a bit of criticism, but watched OBLIVION last night, thought it was pretty damn good - beautiful, mysterious and, quite surprising, a bit of a mind fcuk! Yeah it's a bitsy of other sci-fi, but definitely worth a look IMO.

Apprentice
    I just watched the Blu Ray version of C'etait un Rendezvous, the some-would-say original viral film from 1976. I'm sure this is old news to some of you guys on here, but I've suffered the misfortune of being born late and had only just heard of the film.

Anyone know it? Love it? Hate it? Remember when it was first released?

Quote Originally Posted by Ventura View Post
    Cool, did you feel that despite the almost 3 hours it was too short, even though it's only a third of the way through?

Yep, when re-viewed on blu wray it flew by. Jackson certainly made the right decision to extend it to three films. He's gonna have a job cramming it all in even at three I reckon.

i also agree about the high frame rate. Looked made for TV on cinema. Much better "normal"

Blog Entries
    I'm a big Lee Childs/Reacher fan and was in two minds about the film when it first came out.

However I watched Jack Reacher on DVD last night and I have to admit I enjoyed it. I liked the way that they had stayed largely within the original plot and dialogue. Cruise doesn't portray the physically intimidating nature of the books' character but overall he does OK. If your new to the Reacher books, then the film will be fine.

Lee Childs' cameo was a nice touch.

Taking my son to see Iron Man 3 on the weekend - not sure who's looking forward to it more!

^^^
    LOL was just away to post about this, watched it last night too - enjoyed it. Haven't read the books so have no preconception of what Reacher should look/act like, but Cruise did a perfectly good cool dude/hard bastard IMO

Just watched Mel Gibsons " How I spent my summer vacation" and rather enjoyed it, a bit cheesy but good acting from that chap who likes to drink too much...

Got round to watching Exit Through The Giftshop, about Banksy and other street artists. Interesting and funny, but clearly the whole thing is a mockumentary satire on the art establishment, in the longstanding tradition of Andy Kaufman, through Sacha Baron Cohen, Juaquin Phoenix in I'm Still Here etc.